Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Knives Out 

Knives_Out_poster.jpeg

I actively dislike this movie. I think it was intentionally misleading in the trailers. I do not like that. Ana De Armas was fantastic in the movie. They should have promoted her as the lead of the movie. Hollywood really continues to be the worst. 

Let us get into the characters of this movie. We have the Saint Nurse Marta. She pathologically cannot lie. For some reason, she drinks alcohol and then works. She picks up vials of medications (without looking at the label) and then injects into the patient.(oh yes, I am getting into the ~twist ~ of the movie.) Somehow, this movie wants me to believe she is good at what she does. She can tell the completely discernable weight difference! Not looking at labels of medications makes her a good nurse! Duh. I guess I most also pretend that vials do not have safety caps. Also that Toradol is not in an amber vial because it needs to be protected from light. Somehow,  someone who has never drawn up medication from a vial didn't core it. According to this movie, Electronic Medical Records also do not exist. Once you burn a paper copy and burn down the facility, there is nothing else! There is absolutely no log of it anywhere! Obviously! 

This movie also attempted some political talk. I don't know. It was mostly just buzz words from twitter thrown together because it gets an easy reaction. 

Chris Evans plays a completely awful character. Because he is an attractive white man wearing that sweater, all is forgiven. 

The end. I hate this movie. 

Saving John Wick. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

DOGTOOTH

Dogtooth(2009)_poster.jpg

These noms... I just want to know what Chris has against movies. 🙂

Anyway, Dogtooth is a 2009 Greek-language drama film that tells the story of a husband and wife who keep their children ignorant of the world outside their property into their adulthood. It stars Christos Stergioglou, Michelle Valley, Angeliki Papoulia, Mary Tsoni and Christos Passalis. It had a budget of 250,000€ (roughly $291,000) and made $1.4 million at the box office, after its premiere at Cannes and in Greece. It won the Prix Un Certain Regard award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2009, and was additionally nominated for Best Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards in 2011.

I'm sure it's a good film, but it doesn't really sound like my style of film so I don't know if I'll check it out. 

SAVE: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

1 hour ago, aliasocfan said:

For some reason, she drinks alcohol and then works. She picks up vials of medications (without looking at the label) and then injects into the patient.(oh yes, I am getting into the ~twist ~ of the movie.) Somehow, this movie wants me to believe she is good at what she does. She can tell the completely discernable weight difference! Not looking at labels of medications makes her a good nurse! Duh. I guess I most also pretend that vials do not have safety caps. Also that Toradol is not in an amber vial because it needs to be protected from light. Somehow,  someone who has never drawn up medication from a vial didn't core it. According to this movie, Electronic Medical Records also do not exist. Once you burn a paper copy and burn down the facility, there is nothing else! There is absolutely no log of it anywhere! Obviously! 

LOVE all of this! I had such high hopes for this movie bc “Clue” is one of my favorites of all time and I thought this would be a lot like that. Instead I annoyed my husband bitching the whole movie about the medical inaccuracies you just talked about :haha:

• Like 1

SOMEWHERE

42a788fcd0c7af2244b0d844500037b1.jpg

Somewhere is a 2010 drama film written and directed by Sofia Coppola. The movie is about a famous actor named Johnny Marco (played by Stephen Dorff) who is bored with life. He recuperates from an injury at Chateau Marmont, a hotel for celebrities. While he's there, his ex-wife suffers a mental breakdown and has their eleven-year-old daughter Cleo (played by Elle Fanning) dropped off at the hotel unexpectedly. Johnny has been feeling very unfulfilled with life despite his success, but his daughter's presence eventually makes him mature and accept responsibility. Wikipedia also notes how "the film explores ennui among Hollywood stars, the father–daughter relationship and offers an oblique comedy of show business, particularly Hollywood film-making and the life of a 'star.'" As for what the critics thought, the film has a 71% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the site says "It covers familiar territory for Sofia Coppola, but Somewhere remains a hypnotic, seductively pensive meditation on the nature of celebrity, anchored by charming performances from Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning."  I guess it's a nice story, but I don't know if it's one I will be seeking out to watch anytime soon. Apologies if any of the other rankers here are fans of the film.

And I'm saving Pokémon Detective Pikachu.

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_

Four_Lions_poster.jpg

Four Lions

I've not seen Four Lions and there are a lot of movies in this set that I have seen and don't want to cut and therefore this is getting cut. This is a British jihad satire dark comedy?????? According to Wikipedia. I didn't make up that category. It does star Riz Ahmed in one of his earlier roles. It's about a group of radicalized young British Muslim men who aspire to become suicide bombers. It got mixed-good reviews when it came out and said that Riz Ahmed and Kayvan Novak did a good job portraying the two main characters. It was also exceeded expectations financially. It sounds like an interesting movie but one that's a pretty easy cut to do right now. 

Saving: Looper

Columbus (2017 dir. by Kogonada)

tumblr_pg5bpi6fOn1qjzmgxo1_540.gifv

Columbus is a drama film written, directed, and edited by Kogonada, a South Korean filmmaker in his feature directorial debut. The story follows the son of a renowned architecture scholar that gets stranded in the city of Columbus, Indiana and strikes up a friendship with a young architecture enthusiast that works at the local library. The film premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival to massive critical acclaim. The film currently holds an 89/100 on Metacritic and has an approval rating of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 8.29/10. The film received a ton of praise for the performances from the leads, John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. The film is also praised heavily for not falling into the tropes of romantic-dramas, the quiet impact of the film, the way the film handles architecture, and its accessibility. The film received some awards attention from smaller scale award ceremonies and landed on a ton of year-end best lists.

The film also stars Parker Posey, Michelle Forbes, and Rory Culkin. Made on a small budget of $700,000, the film earned $1.1 million at the box office, thanks in big part due to record-breaking theater ticket sales from theaters in Columbus, Indiana. Fitting. I had both never heard of or seen the film before this Rankdown. I really want to check it out because John Cho is awesome. These noms really were something, but this cut feels fair.

SAVING: Pariah

99 Homes

99_Homes_Movie_Poster.jpg

99-homes-stars-andrew-garfield-and-noah-

99 Homes is a 2014 drama film directed by Ramin Bahrani and written by Bahrani and Amir Naderi. The film follows the story of single dad and construction worker Dennis Nash as he gets evicted by his landlord Rick Carver. In order to keep his home and family safe, Dennis strike a deal with the devil corrupt real estate broker who evicted him by helping him to evic order other people out of their homes. The film features a very talented cast with the likes of Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon ❤️, Laura Dern ❤️, Tim Guinne and Noah Lomax. The film didn't fare well at all in the box office making only $2M against a budget of $8M. The film however, got great reviews with a 93 Tomatoscore and a 76 Metascore, with Michael Shannon getting recognition for his performance with several acting nomination awards like one for Best Supporting Actor in the Golden Globes and losing to Sylvester Stallone in Creed. To be honest this film looks like one I would totally enjoy but I haven't in fact watched it and there were a lot if great films in this nominations so I had to make the cut. 

Saving: A Separation

W9gA.gif

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

AGWHAN_poster.jpg

This is a movie I have never seen or even knew existed so apologies in advance. It’s an Iranian horror movie released in 2014, written and directed by Ana Lily Amirpour. Base idea is following the comings and goings of a female vampire in a so-described “bad city”, all while analyzing the layers of what makes a vampire, well, a vampire. It sounds like a super contained story with very clear goals about what it wants to show, who knows I might end up watching it the reviews make it sound interesting. As it is tho, good bye from the rankdown.

Save: Julia’s Eyes

• Like 1