Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Map to the Stars 

220px-Maps_to_the_Stars_poster.jpg

On one hand, it seems like I do not watch other movies, and it is annoying. On the other hand, I am glad movies I know and love aren't getting nominated too much. I guess I should stick with the positive on this one. 

Like my last few write ups, I have not seen this movie. I do not remember any trailers for this one also. After watching the trailer, it looks promising. Seems like it was a fantastic role for Julianne Moore at least. None of the other actors really had much to do in the trailer. 

This movie revolves around an actress. Seems like she is struggling a bit? She is remaking a movie and having the role her mother did. (or died suddenly when she was young). (That is a trap.) She hires an assistant who is creepy af. I get the impression that the assistant is obsessed with either her or her mother. 

Maybe I'll take the time to watch this movie if I see it free to stream. 

Saving Honeymoon because why not

source.gif

Deepwater Horizon

Did you all know that Marky Mark Wahlberg has a whole section on his wikipedia called Legal Issues detailing the hate crimes he's been accused of? That's crimes with an S meaning multiple. Multiple crimes spanning 6 years. Between the ages of 15 and 21. Not isolated incidents. Anyway, Mark has a brother who was more famous at the time named Donnie who was a member of New Kids on the Block so Mark got to go be Marky Mark and star in a number of movies. Anyway, this means I can never watch some of my favorite movies like Boogie Nights ever again and I think I will live. I should amend my Ted 2 cut to have this in there. 

Anyway, Deepwater Horizon is a disaster film based on the Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. It stars highly problematic actress Gina Rodriguez alongside Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell, John Malkovich, Dylan O'Brien, and Kate Hudson. Though fairly well-received at the box office it didn't really fare all that well commercially. So it kind of just becomes one of those pretty good movies that exists. 

Saving: Bad Moms

MeaslyPowerlessFawn-max-1mb.gif

Bad Words

Safety Not Guaranteed

Evil Dead

Let Me In

Looper

Shame

Florence Foster Jenkins

Barney’s Version

Margaret

The Big Short

Glass

Cyrus

Logan Lucky

Summer of 84

I Love You Phillip Morris

Doctor Sleep

It Follows

Don’t Think Twice

Bad Words

BadWords2014.jpg

This movie could be better than it actually seems. My annoyance with comedies is well documented. But anyway, let us get into the actual movie. This movie revolves around a grown man wanting to be in spelling bees. Apparently he can still get in them because of a loophole. He never graduated eight grade, so he is eligible. Let me see here. In the trailer, I get to see a grown man bullying children. That is just lovely. I am sure someone out there is entertained  by this. Sadly for this movie's time in the rankdown, I am not. 

This movie is directed and stars Jason Bateman. It came out in 2013. It's budget was more than its box office. Now that is just a shame. 

Saving Doctor Sleep 

Florence Foster Jenkins (2016 dir. by Stephen Frears)

source.gif

Most of us marvel at the acting talents of Meryl Streep. There is no question that she is undeniably talented. Her performance in Florence Foster Jenkins is just more proof that she has not really lost her touch just yet. Probably never will. That being said, I do not think she deserved the award nominations that she received for this film. Not because I found her performance bad, but because she earned those nominations for simply being Meryl Streep. This becomes quite bothersome when there are for more enthralling, interesting, complex, and memorable performances delivered by women throughout the year, but Meryl Streep decided to star in a film that year so one woman will just have to suck it up and give up a chance at nomination. 

With all of that said, Florence Foster Jenkins is a good film, and Meryl Streep really does give a solid performance in the titular role. This film is a biographical comedy-drama that follows the late socialite and opera singer in the final year of her life. For those of you that do not know, Jenkins was a New York socialite that sang opera, but was a total farce. Jenkins was known as the worst opera singer of all-time and became well-known for this, and was often mocked for her super flamboyant performances. She was also thought to have untreated syphilis that she contracted from her ex-husband, which eventually advanced to a tertiary stage and affected her CNS, leading to her death in 1944. 

The film also spotlights her manager and long-time friend, St. Clair Bayfield, portrayed by Hugh Grant. The film also features Cosmé McMoon, a pianist and composer known as the accompanist to Jenkins, who is portrayed by Simon Helberg. Rebecca Ferguson, Nina Arianda, Stanley Townsend, Allan Corduner, Christian McKay, David Haig, John Sessions, and Bríd Brennan are all part of the cast as well. A very English cast! Interestingly enough, the director initially did not envision Streep in the role.

The film received favorable reviews all-around, and currently boasts a Rotten Tomatoes score of 88% and a Metacritic score of 71. Meryl Streep received praise for her performance, and received many award nominations for her solid turn as the singer - Academy Award for Best Actress, Golden Globe for Best Actress in Musical/Comedy, British Academy Film Award for Best Actress, Critics' Choice Award for Best Actress, SAG Award for Outstanding Lead Performance, etc. Par for the course for Meryl Streep. High Grant received a lot of praise for his performance and received many award nominations as well, though he did not snag an Academy nomination.

The film is good and it's an interesting story! But the film is not earth-shattering in any way, and I had to take it out in order to secure the advancement of much superior horror and action films!

SAVING: It Follows

Glass

giphy.gif

It took Glass being nominated for me to realize Split wasn't added to this rankdown. It's a shame because Split is the better film by far. It may surprise you to know Split is technically a superhero film. An American psychological superhero thriller film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan to be exact. The film was released in 2016 and with most M. Night Shyamalan films it was either going to be a hit or a miss. There is no in between with him. :haha: The film is unique is that it's a crossover and a sequel to both M. Night Shyamalan's films Unbreakable (2000) and Split (2016). It's the third and final installment in the Unbreakable trilogy. Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Spencer Treat Clark, and Charlayne Woodard reprise their Unbreakable roles and James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy return as their Split characters,. The film was distributed by Universal Pictures. Glass was a financial success at the box office despite its horrible reviews. The film was found to underwhelming and disappointed which I agreed with. Unbreakable and Split were amazing films and Glass just left you empty. The film has a 37% approval rating on RT so no one should miss it.

Save: Summer of 84

• Thanks 1

I LOVE YOU, PHILLIP MORRIS

image.jpeg.833dbd8b019bec1aa3e20badc9963478.jpeg

I Love You, Phillip Morris stars Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. It tells the true story of Steven Jay Russell (played by Carrey). He was a family man with a wife and daughter, but he leaves this behind and decides to be his true self after an accident. He moves to Miami and gets a boyfriend. He also pursues a more luxurious lifestyle, but he resorts to crime in order to get the money. He becomes a con man, but the police end up catching him. After he is sent to prison, he meets and falls in love with the titular character (played by McGregor). After Russell is released, he cannot bear to be away from him and breaks him out of prison to reunite with him by posing as a lawyer. Russell’s cons catch up to him, and he’s sent to prison again. Anyway, the story seems interesting, and Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 71% approval rating. The site also says “This fact-based romantic comedy has its flaws, but they're mostly overcome by its consistently sweet, funny tone and one of the best performances of Jim Carrey's career." Sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I’m saving The Big Short.

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_