Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

DRINKING BUDDIES (2013)

giphy.gif

First of all, shout-out to Tintin - I grew up reading the comics and watching the show, and the Steven Spielberg movie did the books so much justice (although the author Herge was extremely racist in his depictions of POC, but that's another conversation to have). Anyways, onto the movie Drinking Buddies. Another movie with a fantastic cast that didn't really live up to the hype! Actually the cast really isn't all that fantastic, fsr I thought Aubrey Plaza was in this movie. It instead stars Jake Johnson, Olivia Wilde, Anna Kendrick, and a couple of others. It's a pretty familiar trope about two co-workers who are into each other but are each dating someone else and they keep interacting and trying to ignore or hide their feelings for one another. Introduce alcohol and it's a wild ride! Sounds terribly unoriginal. It still got an 83% on RT, which is a great score, so maybe it's well done? Either way it's not a groundbreaking movie so it can go.

Saving: Nocturnal Animals. I'm a simple man, I see a movie with Amy Adams I save it we can ignore the fact that I cut Big Eyes lol

5 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I love Silver Linings Playbook, but I also get hating it. David O. Russell's awful and SLP is his only movie I love (and American Hustle, though ironically).

It's a super messy movie with weird pacing and kinda strange character development, but I think it all comes together really nicely and Jennifer Lawrence is truly at her best in that movie.

jennifer lawrence is riding off good will from her one good movie: winter's bone (also Like Crazy, The Beaver, and X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past but we have issues with Bryan Singer)

this had made me realize i don't think i've liked a jennifer lawrence movie in the past like 6 years. 

Edited by totes4totes

17 minutes ago, #jeah said:

It's a super messy movie with weird pacing and kinda strange character development, but I think it all comes together really nicely and Jennifer Lawrence is truly at her best in that movie.

WINTER'S BONE WOULD LIKE A WORD

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I love Silver Linings Playbook, but I also get hating it. David O. Russell's awful and SLP is his only movie I love (and American Hustle, though ironically).

David O Russell's best movies are Three Kings and The Fighter

EVERYTHING MUST GO

This movie is clearly how @Deeee feels looking at The Challenge Rankdown. Everything Must Go is a drama that stars Will Ferrell and is based off a short story entitled Why Don't You Dance by Raymond Carver. According to the IMDb, the plot of the film is "When an alcoholic relapses, causing him to lose his wife and his job, he holds a yard sale on his front lawn in an attempt to start over. A new neighbor might be the key to his return to form." It currently holds a 6.4/10 there, and has a 73% score on Rotten Tomatoes. The film ultimately didn't do well at the box office, making just $2.3 million against its budget of $5 million. As is the case when comedy actors tend to do dramatic roles, Will Ferrell's performance was cited as a highlight.

SAVE: 42

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015 dir. by Guy Ritchie)

source.gif

I never got around to seeing this film, but I do know that it's based on an insanely popular and successful 1960s MGM television series of the same name. This film sat in Development Hell from 1993 until 2013! Twenty years! No wonder this film is not as good as the television show and only received mixed reviews. I think most films that are stuck in a rut for that long end up losing purpose and intention. 

Seriously though, if you are bored and have some time to review the Wikipedia page for this film, you will laugh at how many directors, screenwriters, and actors were in talks for this film over the years. The film finally found footing in March 2013 with Guy Ritchie as the director and producer and screenwriter, and John Davis and Lionel Wigram as producers and screenwriters. LOL. The cast includes Armie Hammer, Henry Cavill, Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Debicki, Sylvester Groth, Christian Berkel, Jared Harris, and Hugh Grant. 

The film follows CIA Agent Napoleon Soto (Cavill) as he tries to stop the Vinciguerra family from aiding Nazi sympathizers in the creation of nuclear weapons during the height of the Cold War era. The film was a box office bomb, costing the studio a total of $80 million. The film received mixed reviews due to its boring story. A fine cut!

SAVING: Damsels in Distress