Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

5 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Wait I just remembered, wasn’t I supposed to get some sort of advantage from the Friend or Foe round? Is that still a thing? :dead: 

That's still to come! I'm gonna let everyone know what's happening there when it's time for them to be used.

• Thanks 1

The Social Network (2010)

Bernie (2011)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)

Hugo (2011)

Frankenweenie (2012)

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013)

Warm Bodies (2013)

The Equalizer (2014)

Everest (2015)

Louder than Bombs (2015)

Trumbo (2015)

Swiss Army Man (2016)

All the Money In the World (2017)

It Comes At Night (2017)

The Square (2017)

Stan & Ollie (2018)

The Wife (2018)

The Aeronauts (2019)

Trumbo (2015 dir. by Jay Roach)

gif

Bryan Cranston in an amazing actor. Period. But this film is inaccurate, and that always really kills me when watching films that claim to be "biographical." Just call it a dramatization! LOL. The film follows the life of screenwriter Dalton Trumbo. For those of you that do not know of Trumbo, he is known as one of the Hollywood Ten, a group of ten prominent Hollywood directors and writers that were tried for contempt by Congress after refusing to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee on their supposed involvement with the Communist Party. Though 79 individuals received subpoenas, 19 refused to cooperate and admit to their political beliefs and name other Communist individuals. Only ten of these men were able to actually stand and testify. At the time, being Communist was still protected under the First Amendment, but the Hollywood Ten were tried by Congress for refusing to answer questions.What ensued was a highly public and disrespectful exchange between the Ten and the HUAC. The Ten boldly stood against the HUAC and the HUAC did not protect the First Amendment rights of the accused. The First Amendment was used to protect the power of the government, which is why defendants later began to utilize the powers of the Fifth Amendment. Anyways, this whole ordeal did result in The Hollywood Blacklist of Trumbo for quite some time. At some point, he did admit to being Communist. 

You're welcome for the history lesson.

Author Bruce Cook wrote a biography on Dalton Trumbo, which serves as the source material for this film. The film follows his life as he is tried for his involvement with the Communist Party of the USA, the trial process, and the strain placed on his career as he is excluded from Hollywood. Notably, Trumbo wrote the scripts for The Roman Holiday and The Brave One,

Bryan Cranston received wide critical praise for his performance as Dalton Trumbo. His performance earned his nominations for an Academy Award for Best Actor, Golden Globe for Best Actor in Motion Picture Drama, and SAG Nomination for Outstanding Performance by Actor in Leading Role. Those are just a few of the award nominations he received. However, the film was not necessarily the most well-reviewed due to the historical inaccuracies. Most of these people were just upset that anybody could not believe in the failures of the "democracy" of this country, and are super upset about the portrayal of the Communist Party of the USA as a mostly positive group. There are some justifiable concerns though, since Trumbo supported individuals like Joseph Stalin and Kim Il-Sung. Maybe not the best people to support, but Trumbo did stand for the rights that we are all deserving under the First Amendment! Civil liberties and free speech are not protected by the government, so must people that were upset with the historical inaccuracies of this film are just mad because the film leans liberal. People should be able to fight the system without fear of losing their life or ability to live and make money.

On a more technical standpoint though, the film has a clumsy script and is pretty B-movie-ish in my opinion. Basically, it is a corny movie that could be far more witty. 74% on RT and 60 on Metacritic. If you love Cranston, you will love this movie. Because his performance is A+ here. But he is the only thing driving this film along.

SAVING: It Comes At Night

Edited by Deeee

26 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

The best movie of the decade nominated already MESS!

If you’re referring to The Social Network, hard disagree. I’ve seen this opinion many times and I struggle to understand how people think that tbh

Edited by #jeah
  • Like 2

EVEREST

GCGY0e4yVKEmI7D_602CwStx3q6AGq01GZg07Dp8

I'm unfamiliar with this film, so I'll go ahead and cut it since I doubt it's a favorite of anyone here. According to Wikipedia, Everest is based on a true event that happened in May 1996. Due to a violent blizzard, this became the deadliest season on Mount Everest with multiple fatalities. It's not surprising this story became a film, and I wonder how many Mount Everest disaster movies have been made over the years. This particular film follows the story of two expedition groups as they try to survive an unexpected blizzard on Mount Everest. Jason Clarke and Jake Gyllenhaal play the two leaders of the expedition groups, and both groups are about to ascend to the summit of Mount Everest when this dangerous storm forms. What was about to become a dream come true suddenly becomes a nightmare battle for survival, and not everyone makes it out alive. The fact that this is based on true events and real people makes this a devastating story. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Everest boasts all the dizzying cinematography a person could hope to get out a movie about mountain climbers, even if it's content to tread less challenging narrative terrain." The site also gives it a 73% approval rating. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'm saving The Social Network.

source.gif

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, #jeah said:

If you’re referring to The Social Network, hard disagree. I’ve seen this opinion many times and I struggle to understand how people think that tbh

I’ve seen some bad takes in this thread, yet this is the worst yet.

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

I’ve seen some bad takes in this thread, yet this is the worst yet.

I love the movie. But I never quite understood this position on its legacy. There are films that feel far more important than The Social Network.