Jump to content

American Idol Producers Plan To Finish Season Using Technology


Recommended Posts

American Idol Producers Plan To Finish Season Using Technology

153959_5160-scaled.jpg

AMERICAN IDOL – (ABC/Eric McCandless) LIONEL RICHIE, KATY PERRY, LUKE BRYAN

American Idol May Finish Season 18 from the Judges Living Rooms!

While American Idol sent the Top 20 contestants home after halting production due to coronavirus concerns, reports say ABC may still produce the show. With so many talk, news and music specials beaming from the talents’ living rooms, it appears thatAmerican Idol producers are toying with the concept.I sorta called it!

According to TMZ. producers sent an email to the crew, alerting them that studio production for the season was probably over. “As we continue to monitor advice from federal and local agencies, it seems unlikely we are going to be able to make it back into the studio for this season of American Idol.” the email continues, “We will continue to monitor and provide updates should any changes occur.” Sources tell TMZ that the crew will not be paid.

However, TMZ production sources tell the gossip site that ABC still plans to produce the show, but “the judges will be at their respective homes and viewers will ultimately decide who wins and who ends up packing.” So, does that mean the contestants will perform from their homes as well? Having votes based on previous performances would be terrible. Although, there are FULL performances from singers that have never been aired. At this point in the season, the clips have been pretty heavily edited.

Could “Living Room” Idol Work?

I just watched the iHeart Living Room concert that aired on FOX opposite American Idol last night. The show tied with Idol in the ratings. Big stars performed hit songs from their homes and offices. It was surprisingly entertaining, but would it work for music competitions? Without the camaraderie, the immediacy, the crowds and the band, how would the competition hold up?

With no end in site to the quarantine, production companies may fear losing the opportunity to complete their seasons. And from ABC’s point of view, there is primetime real estate that would otherwise remain empty.

The email to the production crew ended, “In the meantime, please stay safe and healthy. We are looking forward to the day we can all work together again.”

UPDATE:

Ryan Seacrest has been recording voice overs at home for the already taped episodes. However, he tells TMZ that he had a chat with executive producer Trish Kahane recently:

With safety being a priority, that is No. 1…we do want to deliver all of this season. We want to put on these performance episodes, we want to put on the episodes that allow America to vote for their favorites to get to an American Idol winner this season. How will we do that? We haven’t fully decided. We’re looking at all the different options. I think we see the obvious ways people are using technology now on the air and on social media. So I think we’re trying to push the limits of technology and explore any type of technology that may be available to us to deliver the performance, to deliver the judges comments, and to deliver America being able to vote, so that we make it through the whole season.

Ryan is “very hopeful we’re going to be able to do that.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And the winner of American Idol 2020 is... COVID-19.

The winner founding out they won American Idol.

Yes, it is unfortunate that this contestants got stuck on this season of Idol. It's finishing and that's more than Big Brother Canada can say. Seniors lost out on prom night, Grad night, walking the s

Honestly the idea of doing it virtually to me sounds really strange. How do they plan to create an even playing field for each contestant? Unless they plan on sending everyone the same exact equipment (webcam, studio light, microphone and PA system, etc.) And what about accompaniment? What about those who can’t play an instrument? Will they be allowed to use a karaoke track? 
 

Then there’s the added factor that they won’t be getting the same experience in front of a live audience, which is what helps prepare them for the music industry. Not that Idol cares. Their job isn’t to train people for the music industry, it’s to put on a show. But still. And what about technological issues? Will they pretape their performances and send them in to be edited into the episode, or will they broadcast it live via satellite? What if someone’s webcam freezes mid performance? There’s just too many factors to be dealing with here.
 

IMO they’d be better off just finishing the season when it’s safe to resume production in studio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

Honestly the idea of doing it virtually to me sounds really strange. How do they plan to create an even playing field for each contestant? Unless they plan on sending everyone the same exact equipment (webcam, studio light, microphone and PA system, etc.) And what about accompaniment? What about those who can’t play an instrument? Will they be allowed to use a karaoke track? 
 

Then there’s the added factor that they won’t be getting the same experience in front of a live audience, which is what helps prepare them for the music industry. Not that Idol cares. Their job isn’t to train people for the music industry, it’s to put on a show. But still. And what about technological issues? Will they pretape their performances and send them in to be edited into the episode, or will they broadcast it live via satellite? What if someone’s webcam freezes mid performance? There’s just too many factors to be dealing with here.
 

IMO they’d be better off just finishing the season when it’s safe to resume production in studio. 

 

I don't think that's possible...the pandemic isn't ending anytime soon and all the other time slots have been assigned well in advance...they won't be able to fit it in til March of next year...which is their time slot anyways...a year from now, i might be difficult to get all the contestants back anyways...i would assume they will just start a new season...

Edited by kenboy123
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this could work, but the emotional aspect and performance aspect of the performances might be hard to create in an at home atmosphere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

Unless they plan on sending everyone the same exact equipment (webcam, studio light, microphone and PA system, etc.)

I imagine they would. It'd be expensive in the sense they'd have to send out 20 of them up front, but they aren't paying for a crew anymore and the costs of a microphone and a  decent camera than can film in 1080P aren't that much money in 2020. :haha: Especially since pretty much everyone has a cellphone that can record up to 4K anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, holinessss said:

they should have sequestered/quarantined the t20 in a mansion somewhere and do performances in the backyard - xfactor celebrity style lol

 

But what if one of them is actually infected????...then they would infect everyone else...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, holinessss said:

they should have sequestered/quarantined the t20 in a mansion somewhere and do performances in the backyard - xfactor celebrity style lol

They can't, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kenboy123 said:

 

But what if one of them is actually infected????...then they would infect everyone else...

 

25 minutes ago, Elliott said:

They can't, though.

 

yes

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not very... fair to be honest. It's a completely different world performing on a big stage to performing in your bedroom 🙄 It's also very different performing with a live band than performing over a karaoke track.

 

And 99% of the performances will be boring as hell without the crowd, the lighting and the stage effect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sept390 said:

It is not very... fair to be honest. It's a completely different world performing on a big stage to performing in your bedroom 🙄 It's also very different performing with a live band than performing over a karaoke track.

 

And 99% of the performances will be boring as hell without the crowd, the lighting and the stage effect. 


Maybe it isn’t fair, but the virus isn’t being fair either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sept390 said:

It is not very... fair to be honest. It's a completely different world performing on a big stage to performing in your bedroom 🙄 It's also very different performing with a live band than performing over a karaoke track.

 

And 99% of the performances will be boring as hell without the crowd, the lighting and the stage effect. 

 

They are going to have to finish the season somehow...unless you want to abandon it...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kenboy123 said:

 

I don't think that's possible...the pandemic isn't ending anytime soon and all the other time slots have been assigned well in advance...they won't be able to fit it in til March of next year...which is their time slot anyways...a year from now, i might be difficult to get all the contestants back anyways...i would assume they will just start a new season...

Yes it is, theycan't keep us locked up like prisoners, it's aganist the us consitiun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Elliott said:

I imagine they would. It'd be expensive in the sense they'd have to send out 20 of them up front, but they aren't paying for a crew anymore and the costs of a microphone and a  decent camera than can film in 1080P aren't that much money in 2020. :haha: Especially since pretty much everyone has a cellphone that can record up to 4K anyway.

21, even.

 

Unless that's why we're getting a special with little or any new footage next week. Since voting's only open until...Tuesday morning, that gives them plenty of time to get the winner of the fan vote their equipment as well without having to send it to the loser.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, FunkyFrankie said:

I'd rather wait then have living room shows.  Living room shows are the worst and if they do that, that means no celeb duets. :(

KIM. ❤️

 

I would rather have them wait and pick things up in the Summer if possible. I guess we will see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kind of hoping they'd push the finale back a few weeks into June since they pushed back the start down, but oh well.

 

My guess is it'll be 20 > 10 > 7 > 4 for the finale.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...