The Official Rankdown Off-Topic Thread

I’m glad I’m not one of those people who listens to the album right at midnight because I’d be pissed if I listened to it and then as soon as I’m done, the second part is released. 💀

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I’m glad I’m not one of those people who listens to the album right at midnight because I’d be pissed if I listened to it and then as soon as I’m done, the second part is released. 💀

I'll listen to a bunch of singles at 11 pm but I always save albums for the next day. Although I'm guessing almost all of the Swifties didn't wait. :dead:

as i've spent the weekend digesting the taylor swift album i have some hot takes that i'm BRAVE enough to finally share:

1. Taylor needs to get away from Jack Antonoff and Aaron Desner. At least Jack Antonoff. I think what made them so interesting to begin with has become too rote. I think a strong part of Taylor's appeal of her music is how she has grown sonically and this sound stagnant. I think individually the tracks are good but as a full album, especially one of 31 tracks it all starts to sound too similar. Lyrically though, I think this has some of her weakest stuff.

2. I think overall it's good. Like how you listen to Taylor Swift and expect a certain level of quality but it's not exciting and it doesn't take too many risks.

3. I think this needed to sound angrier. Or sadder. Or in general more tortured. This is called The Tortured Poets Department. She sounds more tortured in her Karlie Kloss breakup album. Or her "fictional" stories of folklore/evermore or when she's singing about how girls are mean to her on Fearless.

Overall, Taylor Swift doesn't feel challenged anymore. She's created a fanbase so rabid that critics receive threats of violence if they criticize her and she will sell so much of her 18 different vinyl presses that she will never feel it. I don't mind bad Taylor Swift songs if on the same album you get things like "New Year's Day" or "The Archer" (two Swift/Antonoff joints BTW) because that also feels in itself that Taylor is challenging herself or creating levels for herself. Where she doesn't feel afraid to fail. Hopefully eventually I can be proven wrong and the next album will be back to the Taylor Swift that I love. But this one just feels empty.

• Like 1

Hello, old friends. It's been years since I've been on IDF, I hope everyone is doing well. 🙂

I was driving home from an early vacation (spent a week in a cabin with my mother, who I don't see very often) when I received a text message from my former roommate. When I opened it up, I learned that Mandisa passed away. :( I'm looking forward to watching the tribute that Melinda, Colton and Gokey are performing for her tonight. It's cool that the show is going out of its way to celebrate the life of a contestant from an early season.

Figured I'd sample this current season while I was at it, and I actually think it's not half-bad? I went in with low expectations, but they were exceeded. Favorites so far are Triston and Julia, with Kayko and Will hovering below them. I also saw Iam Tomgi perform his "Why Kiki?" song and legit had chills from the first note, his season will definitely be next on my watch list!

8 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I'm not sure I would recommend watching that season but it's up to you! 

Lol, was it really that bad? I stopped watching halfway through the season Chayce Beckham won (aka I quit watching two weeks before the finale). At least with last year, I'll know I like the winner.

3 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Lol, was it really that bad? I stopped watching halfway through the season Chayce Beckham won (aka I quit watching two weeks before the finale). At least with last year, I'll know I like the winner.

Maybe if you are a huge Iam fan you might enjoy it more than I did. But I only liked 1 person in the top ten so for me I thought it was a pretty weak season.

3 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I don't think I have it in me to stan anyone these days lol, but I'll keep an open mind. At the very least, modern Idol isn't a humongous time sink with all the double eliminations.

Ah yeah I understand. :haha: I don't really stan much people these days either - especially as my favorites tend to go out early for the most part. 😐 But also I'm not as connected with ABC's Idol like FOX's Idol. I do/did still have a handful of contestants that I do love but they still aren't like Top 10 or Top 20 all-timers.

Though I hope we'll have a few faves in common, haha.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:13 PM, totes4totes said:

as i've spent the weekend digesting the taylor swift album i have some hot takes that i'm BRAVE enough to finally share:

1. Taylor needs to get away from Jack Antonoff and Aaron Desner. At least Jack Antonoff. I think what made them so interesting to begin with has become too rote. I think a strong part of Taylor's appeal of her music is how she has grown sonically and this sound stagnant. I think individually the tracks are good but as a full album, especially one of 31 tracks it all starts to sound too similar. Lyrically though, I think this has some of her weakest stuff.

2. I think overall it's good. Like how you listen to Taylor Swift and expect a certain level of quality but it's not exciting and it doesn't take too many risks.

3. I think this needed to sound angrier. Or sadder. Or in general more tortured. This is called The Tortured Poets Department. She sounds more tortured in her Karlie Kloss breakup album. Or her "fictional" stories of folklore/evermore or when she's singing about how girls are mean to her on Fearless.

Overall, Taylor Swift doesn't feel challenged anymore. She's created a fanbase so rabid that critics receive threats of violence if they criticize her and she will sell so much of her 18 different vinyl presses that she will never feel it. I don't mind bad Taylor Swift songs if on the same album you get things like "New Year's Day" or "The Archer" (two Swift/Antonoff joints BTW) because that also feels in itself that Taylor is challenging herself or creating levels for herself. Where she doesn't feel afraid to fail. Hopefully eventually I can be proven wrong and the next album will be back to the Taylor Swift that I love. But this one just feels empty.

I agree with all of this!