The Official Rankdown Off-Topic Thread

Posted (edited)

More thoughts on this season after watching the top 20 performances...

First of all, can someone tell me how these copy/pasted IDF white bread it-girls aren't cancelling each other out? I don't think any of them are terrible or anything, but there's been so many piano balladeers in past seasons that are better and were kicked off way before top 7. My favorite is Emmy, she's the most interesting and sings with the most conviction in my opinion. Abi and McKenna in particular have been super frustrating, since there's so much hype around them and I'm just not seeing it.

My top two are actually the country bumpkin brothers, lol oops. Keep in mind, I sorta touched grass for three years instead of following this show, so I'm not sick to death of Nashville Idol. Triston especially is a true diamond in the rough, soooo much talent at such a young age. He has a very bright future ahead of him. Will is also extremely talented and it was cool to learn that he has a Biology degree. Mad respect man, I definitely wasn't smart or disciplined enough in college to achieve a biology degree.

Kayko is my third favorite lmao, I freaking adore him. First of all, I want him in my bed, but that's beside the point. He actually sings pretty decently? His vocal chops are limited, but he seems to be aware and knows how to work within his limitations. Not to mention that his songwriting is fantastic. Kayko has REAL artistry, not the "sit at a piano and strip back a song until it's basic as possible" trick we've all seen one billion times by now. He should've lasted longer and my younger self would've loved how pressed IDF seems to be about him.

Aside from Emmy, I think Julia's the best girl, but I never want to hear "I Believe" not sung by Fantasia or Syesha ever again. Jayna (I think?) is also good, but maybe too old-school Idol to really succeed in the current format. I liked Jordan's showcase performance but he sorta got swallowed by the big stage. I didn't like Jack at first but he's growing on me; he and Jordan are both good eye candy as well, I might add.

Wasn't feeling the gospel singers this season and I'm not surprised they didn't last long. I recall the days of Debra Byrd telling JHud that you sort of need to evolve past the church setting to do well on this show. If you wanna be a gospel artist, that's obviously commendable, but the problem is that none of these guys gave me anything I haven't already seen before. It's a shame that the POC talent this season sort of dropped like flies (aside from Triston and Julia), but honestly? Based on their performances, I kind of get it.

Finally, Kaibrienne is awful and should've been eliminated in Hawaii. One last shout-out to that hopeless fodder girl who sang the CeeLo song about her ex. "I got cheated on" is unironically one of the funniest sob stories I've ever seen on this show. :haha:

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

Great review of your thoughts on the season, Kevin!

I agree with.... very little of your thoughts. :dead: BUT that's okayy. Your thoughts and write-up on your thoughts were very insightful. :yes: OK some things I can agree on: Jack is someone I didn't care for but he's been growing on me. It could help that I lost most of my favorites I cared about + him singing songs I like and care about, which helps me connect more with him.

I did think Abi was a little overrated on here, but I've come around to her as I've been enjoying her lately. :ph34rwave: I wasn't a fan of Kayko but yeah watching IDF seethe over him was kinda fun to watch, as he was also fun to watch as a performer (though I also found his last few performances choatic/messy). :haha: 

Oooh and I can kinda agree on Triston. He has talent and a good future ahead of him. I don't care much for him or his style and do think he's been kinda getting worse as the season's progressed. But he has something that could work with him in the future.

Ooh I actually would have agreed with you on Kaibrienne too. Didn't like or care for her much earlier on the season. And I would have probably eliminated her early on too. But she's gotten better towards the end of her run and had some performances I enjoyed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Great review of your thoughts on the season, Kevin!

I agree with.... very little of your thoughts. :dead: BUT that's okayy. Your thoughts and write-up on your thoughts were very insightful. :yes: OK some things I can agree on: Jack is someone I didn't care for but he's been growing on me. It could help that I lost most of my favorites I cared about + him singing songs I like and care about, which helps me connect more with him.

I did think Abi was a little overrated on here, but I've come around to her as I've been enjoying her lately. :ph34rwave: I wasn't a fan of Kayko but yeah watching IDF seethe over him was kinda fun to watch, as he was also fun to watch as a performer (though I also found his last few performances choatic/messy). :haha: 

Oooh and I can kinda agree on Triston. He has talent and a good future ahead of him. I don't care much for him or his style and do think he's been kinda getting worse as the season's progressed. But he has something that could work with him in the future.

Ooh I actually would have agreed with you on Kaibrienne too. Didn't like or care for her much earlier on the season. And I would have probably eliminated her early on too. But she's gotten better towards the end of her run and had some performances I enjoyed.

Thanks, Wally. I certainly didn't expect Triston or Will to be among your favorites, but it's chill lol. You only like country when it's a duet between Beyonce and King Dexter Roberts, right? ;)

I don't think Abi sucks or anything, and I find her likable/rootable as a contestant, so I'm not surprised she has a following. For what it's worth, she's probably my third favorite of the girls, but it's a large drop from Emmy and Julia. And lol, messy Kayko performances? Intriguing... I do love a good hot mess.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

7 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Thanks, Wally. I certainly didn't expect Triston or Will to be among your favorites, but it's chill lol. You only like country when it's a duet between Beyonce and King Dexter Roberts, right? ;)

I don't think Abi sucks or anything, and I find her likable/rootable as a contestant, so I'm not surprised she has a following. For what it's worth, she's probably my third favorite of the girls, but it's a large drop from Emmy and Julia. And lol, messy Kayko performances? Intriguing... I do love a good hot mess.

You know me so well, after all these years! :haha: Though Beyonce has ventured off into country with her latest album - though sad no Dexter appearance on the album. :broken:

Ahh I see. And lol I'm kinda like you on Abi/McKenna as that's how I am with Emmy. She was great last night but for the most part, she bores me and I don't really get it with her. :ph34rwave: Julia is someone that's been all over the place for me, but I do like her. I guess I gravitate more to her now since again most of my bigger favorites are gone now. Ooh lol yeah, I thought his last two performances were messy (and many on IDF thought so too) but I appreciate the mess and fun he's brought with those, at least. :haha: And ugh he would have brought that with his Britney song which I kinda wish we got to see. :haha: I love a good hot mess too - K.Blocks brought that with her Hawaii performance. :giggle: 

35 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

You know me so well, after all these years! :haha: Though Beyonce has ventured off into country with her latest album - though sad no Dexter appearance on the album. :broken:

Ahh I see. And lol I'm kinda like you on Abi/McKenna as that's how I am with Emmy. She was great last night but for the most part, she bores me and I don't really get it with her. :ph34rwave: Julia is someone that's been all over the place for me, but I do like her. I guess I gravitate more to her now since again most of my bigger favorites are gone now. Ooh lol yeah, I thought his last two performances were messy (and many on IDF thought so too) but I appreciate the mess and fun he's brought with those, at least. :haha: And ugh he would have brought that with his Britney song which I kinda wish we got to see. :haha: I love a good hot mess too - K.Blocks brought that with her Hawaii performance. :giggle: 

Tsk tsk, what a flop country star Beysus is gonna be.

I mean, I initially honed into Emmy solely due to her Loretta Lynn connection (music like that is what my mama raised me on), but she won me over on her own merits with her "Want You" original song. And lol KBlocks... wasn't really feeling her, I'm sorry to say. :giggle:

1 hour ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Tsk tsk, what a flop country star Beysus is gonna be.

I mean, I initially honed into Emmy solely due to her Loretta Lynn connection (music like that is what my mama raised me on), but she won me over on her own merits with her "Want You" original song. And lol KBlocks... wasn't really feeling her, I'm sorry to say. :giggle:

I'll forgive her for that, of course. Can't stay mad too long about that. :giggle: 

Oooh ahh okay, I understand that. :yes: Ooh I can't remember which performance was "Want You" right now but I do remember liking one of her originals she did so maybe it was that song? LMAOO hahaha that's totally fair. I appreciated her for fun hot mess purposes. :haha: 

14 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Finally, Kaibrienne is awful and should've been eliminated in Hawaii. 

Don’t you dare come for queen of mess Kaibrienne that still manages to turn in the best performance of the season (so far). 😘

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

And lol, messy Kayko performances? Intriguing... I do love a good hot mess.

Kayko and Kaibrienne were the only finalists bringing fun this season. :/

Edited by Elliott

Posted (edited)

@Weedy_Speedy No big disagreements with your thoughts (compared to the Fox days when we threw hands lol). I’m not really big on Triston or Will for reasons outside of the show (I already compromised my morals by rooting for Colin last year so I’m not doing it again 😘), but I just ignore them because I know they’re not going anywhere.

Interesting that Emmy is your favourite of the It Girls this year because I constantly forget she exists. (Sort of like how @*Lily and @*Wallace felt with a Kameron Michaels.) McKenna is my favourite of the women but I haven’t been as big on her once the Top 14 started (combination of illness + weird song selections).

The GD being shocked by Julia’s continued advancement is hilarious to me. They clearly aren’t aware of the power Hawaii voters have on this show lol.

Finally another Kayko fan. :wub:

Edited by Elliott

On 4/30/2024 at 7:24 AM, Weedy_Speedy said:

I don't think I have it in me to stan anyone these days lol, but I'll keep an open mind. At the very least, modern Idol isn't a humongous time sink with all the double eliminations.

The fact that every single ABC season has essentially premiered and ended in the time span of Season 13's performance shows is wild.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Kayko and Kaibrienne were the only finalists bringing fun this season. :/

Idk, I thought Ajii was fun... I've certainly never heard "Like a Stone" on Idol before and he did a good job with it.

35 minutes ago, Elliott said:

@Weedy_Speedy No big disagreements with your thoughts (compared to the Fox days when we threw hands lol). I’m not really big on Triston or Will for reasons outside of the show (I already compromised my morals by rooting for Colin last year so I’m not doing it again 😘), but I just ignore them because I know they’re not going anywhere.

Interesting that Emmy is your favourite of the It Girls this year because I constantly forget she exists. (Sort of like how @*Lily and @*Wallace felt with a Kameron Michaels.) McKenna is my favourite of the women but I haven’t been as big on her once the Top 14 started (combination of illness + weird song selections).

The GD being shocked by Julia’s continued advancement is hilarious to me. They clearly aren’t aware of the power Hawaii voters have on this show lol.

Finally another Kayko fan. :wub:

I didn't realize Julia was from Hawaii. I still appreciate her because she brings something different to the table this season, but "I Believe" needs to be retired tbh. Like Fantasia won this show 20 years ago, isn't it time to put her coronation song to rest?

Kayko's great, he has a legit artistic identity that's relevant to a music industry outside of talent competitions. If he's willing to work for other artists, then he could make serious bank off his songwriting skills alone.

31 minutes ago, Elliott said:

The fact that every single ABC season has essentially premiered and ended in the time span of Season 13's performance shows is wild.

And thank freak for that. I think it could stand to be a week or two longer, but the talent well has dried up too much to justify single eliminations each week. I think something akin to S15 (starts with double eliminations but does single elims at the top 5 or so) would be the sweet spot.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

And thank freak for that. I think it could stand to be a week or two longer, but the talent well has dried up too much to justify single eliminations each week. I think something akin to S15 (starts with double eliminations but does single elims at the top 5 or so) would be the sweet spot.

The addition of Monday shows this season was nice since we were able to get three extra rounds. i don’t think doing a Top 14 with four wildcards is necessary anymore since (outside of S20), they all go home in the next week anyway. 24 > 18 > 12 > 10 > 8 and then single eliminations until the Top 3 would be a good mix, imo.

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:07 PM, Elliott said:

I hope you hate it as much as I did. ❤️ The General Discussion forum has been creaming their pants over it since it aired because she's a young PWG.

After revisiting the top 20 performances? Yeah the MCM cover wasn't it, lol. I don't outright hate it like you do, but on a WNTS scale I'd give it a 45 or so at most.

Also, I forgot to mention Mia earlier. She was whatever/forgettable to me at first, but I loved her "Wildflowers and Wild Horses" performance. Probably my favorite of the night outside of Kayko's and Emmy's originals.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:56 AM, *Wallace said:

Ah I hate to break up the Taylor album discussion (and that can carry on, of course). But I just found out about Mandisa passing away and I'm so sad and crushed about that. 😢 :broken: 

https://www.tmz.com/2024/04/19/american-idol-star-mandisa-grammy-winner-dead-dies/

I always hate hearing about Idol passings because as I’ve said before it’s like a peace of my childhood dies with them. :closedeyes:

It brings in to question our own mortality because the contestants we grew up with and voted for are dying and it’s just surreal.

RIP Mandisa. Fly high. 🕊️

32 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

@Elliott are you going to go see Cassadee on her tour that she just announced?

Andrew and I are already figuring out which show we’re going to. :dead:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Andrew and I are already figuring out which show we’re going to. :dead:

None are even remotely close to me although I did just see her at South by Southwest and got to hang out with her for a bit so it's not that big of a deal.