The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

I don't get the big deal on D. Smooth's performance? I mean he was solid vocally which definitely put him above some others, but other than the arrangement I just don't see what made it stand out. I loved Location so hopefully he does something I like next week again.

the main thing that made it stand out was that it was on pitch lol. most people struggled w that last night i think

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Nah, you are right. In fact, it was really underwhelwing. He clearly couldn't handle the pressure of performing live.

That said, I'm highly skeptical about very young teenagers that join The Voice cause I'm worried that they might struggle in the Lives. Unless you're Hailey Mia or Rachel Mac. 

Edited by allistr

16 minutes ago, B-B said:

Ray is a great singer. Sorelle deserves all the hate he's gotten

Damn, when did an all male trio join the competition? Now that's IDF hate bait

Edited by Hsamid
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, allistr said:

That said, I'm highly skeptical about very young teenagers that join The Voice cause I'm worried that they might struggle in the Lives. Unless you're Hailey Mia or Rachel Mac

You sure about that? 😬

Look, I know she has fans here but based on what we saw, I’m hardly convinced that she was ready for lives either.

23 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Damn, when did an all male trio join the competition? Now that's IDF hate bait

It took me a second too but I think they meant “he” as in Ray, like Sorelle deserve the hate Ray’s gotten (I definitely disagree though lmao)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, B-B said:

He as in Ray

Yeah don't mind me. I never would have realized that if it weren't for nytsch pointing it out...

1 hour ago, MusicBuff101 said:

Sorelle did not deserve to make the finale based on the performance they gave last night. It was really messy.

I have to agree. I'm surprised people liked it tbh. Vocally it wasnt exactly bad, but the arrangement was a hot mess imo. The background harmonies sounded really awkward, and they just didn't sound as tight like in past performances.

30 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I have to agree. I'm surprised people liked it tbh. Vocally it wasnt exactly bad, but the arrangement was a hot mess imo. The background harmonies sounded really awkward, and they just didn't sound as tight like in past performances.

Exactly, I hated the arrangement and the harmonies just sounded off to me. I find it strange that NOIVAS’ performance was criticized for messiness here, but Sorelle’s wasn’t. Neither of them were great.

24 minutes ago, MusicBuff101 said:

Exactly, I hated the arrangement and the harmonies just sounded off to me. I find it strange that NOIVAS’ performance was criticized for messiness here, but Sorelle’s wasn’t. Neither of them were great.

I thought everyone did good last night. Some better than others. My problem with NOIVAS’ was that it was an overdone Adele song. He did well, but didn’t add anything new.  Sorelle’s may have been “messy” but it seemed well choreographed to me. If you think it was messy, maybe it was messy on purpose?

Edited by xfactor22
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hsamid said:

I have to agree. I'm surprised people liked it tbh.

Because it was good and vocally clean?  I honestly feel pity for those who didn't like their performance, because I'm honestly not hearing what you did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xfactor22 said:

I thought everyone did good last night. Some better than others. My problem with NOIVAS’ was that it was an overdone Adele song. He did well, but didn’t add anything new.  Sorelle’s may have been “messy” but it seemed well choreographed to me. If you think it was messy, maybe it was messy on purpose?

That could be true.

I didn't like their auditon at the first listen. I thought they didn't arrange it well, it was mess, esp that ooooh oooooh ohhhh parts lol. 

But now, it's in my top 5.

I didn't like Fallin' much at the start as well, but it's growing on me a lot.

8 hours ago, B-B said:

Ray is a great singer. Sorelle deserves all the hate he's gotten

I disagree about the Sorelle part, but Def agree that Ray is a great singer.

Essence was one of the best PO performances this season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nytsch said:

You sure about that? 😬

Look, I know she has fans here but based on what we saw, I’m hardly convinced that she was ready for lives either.

Well, the belts on Human weren't that great, but other than that I really loved her that performance.

Rainbow was Fantastic. I liked her finale performances as well.

But this is true that her Pre-lives run was better than her live run.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nytsch said:

I don't get the big deal on D. Smooth's performance? I mean he was solid vocally which definitely put him above some others, but other than the arrangement I just don't see what made it stand out. I loved Location so hopefully he does something I like next week again.

Yeah you could say the performance didn’t have any standout moments but then again what did Gina do? Or even Grace? They were also mostly on pitch but also didn’t do anything insane vocally. At least D Smooth as you said had a unique arrangement.

Grace and Gina did very well on ballads and had my 2nd and 3rd favorite performances of those who moved on, but they’ve already proved they could do that (maybe not Grace but did we doubt it?). I guess I just like how he handled a song that you wouldn’t expect to be a smart choice for a singing show.

• Like 1

D. Smooth handled a song that really doesn't go anywhere vocally and made it into a worthy semis performance. That arrangement with the bongos and the horns changed it.

Plus indeed he was one of the few that stayed on pitch the whole way through.

• Like 2

Listening to Ryley's performance again, sorry, but that was bad. His elimination was justified and it's annoying that people (not only here, but all over social media) are complaining saying that he deserved to advance. I understand he built a lot of hype with his audition but you need to be competent every round, and he was not. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Spicy take: the best 5 performances last night were voted through

Riley was vocally weak, Ray was boring, and Holly was underwhelming last night. For the inconsistencies that Sorelle and NOIVAS have, at least all of their performances are interesting and unique

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

After rewatching all the performances, I think My fav performance was Skyfall.

Of course it doesn't hold a candle to Queen Amber's Version, but I still really loved it. The first 30 seconds, the last few seconds, and some of the high notes in between, all sounded incredible to my ears.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Don´t even know if this in unopopular to begin with, but after reading Floorwax´s winners thread, I do agree: Fix You is a song that has everything for a contestant to have a moment, yet it has never happened. Not with Matt, or Brynn, or John H, or Team Gwen on S12. It does trip people up.

Coldplay in general, as much hate as it gets, is hard to sing, Chris Martin in his prime had an incredible agile voice and tends to go big.

4 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Don´t even know if this in unopopular to begin with, but after reading Floorwax´s winners thread, I do agree: Fix You is a song that has everything for a contestant to have a moment, yet it has never happened. Not with Matt, or Brynn, or John H, or Team Gwen on S12. It does trip people up.

Coldplay in general, as much hate as it gets, is hard to sing, Chris Martin in his prime had an incredible agile voice and tends to go big.

James Graham from The Four had a moment with, I really loved his performance. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

People try to do too much with it. It’s a song you just have to sing exactly like it’s recorded because it’s so iconic. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Listening to Ryley's performance again, sorry, but that was bad. His elimination was justified and it's annoying that people (not only here, but all over social media) are complaining saying that he deserved to advance. I understand he built a lot of hype with his audition but you need to be competent every round, and he was not. 

I mean, he was competent in every round but this one. Both his PO and audition are one of the most popular performances this season. Not a surprise there is backlash over his elimination if we consider his overall body of work. I think a lot of us here would have wanted their favourites advanced even if their latest performance happened to be their only bad one.

That said, I wouldn't have advanced him. Would switch Holly and NOIVAS but keep the top 4.

• Like 3

Well at this point is it unpopular to say I really liked Sorelle? Lol

I can definitely see why someone wouldn’t like it and there were messy parts, but I thought they’re great vocalists and they showed it well.

• Like 7