American Idol S22 The Top 5 - Disney Night Discussion

10 minutes ago, BlindMelon said:

Haters gonna hate about Emmy too. Prior to stepping foot on the show, she already had far more than any of the others and when is the last time anyone went anywhere from this show? Especially a winner? Carrie Underwood? So I am okay with Emmy going now. I don't think winning does these guys any favors other than for pure entertainment value to those of us that watch the show. I hope she won't be locked into some kind of contract with AI by making top 5. She is going to do great and be just find from where she comes from and what she's already amassed.

You mean, because her grandmother is country royalty?

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. She didn't "need" this show the way the others did. She needed it in her own way, because it helped her realize that she could stand on her own merits. But just the idea that someone who could have been nepo'd into the industry as the winner, something about it didn't sit right.

1 minute ago, jdanton2 said:

Jack seems very versatile to me  and very entertaining to watch which might be why i sort of like him.

He'd make a killer winner. Not gonna lie. lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlindMelon said:

Haters gonna hate about Emmy too. Prior to stepping foot on the show, she already had far more than any of the others and when is the last time anyone went anywhere from this show? Especially a winner? Carrie Underwood? So I am okay with Emmy going now. I don't think winning does these guys any favors other than for pure entertainment value to those of us that watch the show. I hope she won't be locked into some kind of contract with AI by making top 5. She is going to do great and be just find from where she comes from and what she's already amassed.

I don’t hate Emmy.  In fact, she was one of my side favorites.  But Hsamid is right — she just wasn’t a great singer and her performance skills definitely needed work.  I’m glad she got this far and I wish Emmy the best.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Mama Harpers American Idol journey ends.  Maybe she will get a solo next week.

UGH I didn't think of that. 😢 Now I'm sad. 😢 But yeah Mama Harper better get a solo next week!

28 minutes ago, Emmyfan said:

The true country guy is in the final?

27 minutes ago, Floaty said:

Well that could still happen since Will is still in the finale. :dead:

LOL that's very true but we were all (as a forum) were moreso expecting Triston to be in the finale over Will. :dead: 

27 minutes ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

A black country guy was never a sure thing when there was still a white country guy around. Triston might have been country beyond his years, but he's still ultimately trying to appeal to a fanbase that's heavily Confederate.

That's a good point. There's still an uphill battle for POC country artists to get and gather up support compared to white country artists.

Posted (edited)

I just watched the top 3 on Facebook. 

Will’s 1st song - I don’t even care that he had the mishap. The song sucks! Easily his worst performance and song choice of the season. 

Will’s 2nd song - Best of the night, IMO. Having said that, I’m a little disappointed this format has made him (a country singer) lean so heavily into rock. At least he’s had ample opportunity to show he can do it well. 

Abi’s 1st song - 2nd best of the night. However, she didn’t show anything different than I’ve seen on the other million covers of the song 

Abi’s 2nd song - I didn’t like this. I don’t think it was the best song choice for her, and the workload seems to be catching up to her (and the others, honestly).

Jack’s 1st song - I didn’t like it. 

Jack’s 2nd song - I didn’t like it. 

Will & Abi are the most deserving finalists, based not only on tonight, but the entire season. Jack may have been better than Emmy and Triston, but everything about this dude (his tone, his mannerisms) grates on me. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Just now, TeamAudra said:

I just watched the top 3 on Facebook. 

Will’s 1st song - I don’t even care that he had the mishap. The song sucks! Easily his worst performance and song choice of the season. 

Will’s 2nd song - Best of the night, IMO. Having said that, I’m a little disappointed this format has made him (a country singer) lean so heavily into rock. At least he’s had ample opportunity to show he can do it well. 

Abi’s 1st song - 2nd best of the night. However, she didn’t show anything different than I’ve seen on the other million covers I’ve seen of the song 

Abi’s 2nd song - I didn’t like this. I don’t think it was the best song choice for her, and the workload seems to be catching up to her (and the others, honestly).

Jack’s 1st song - I didn’t like it. 

Jack’s 2nd song - I didn’t like it. 

Will & Abi are the most deserving finalists of the season, based not only on tonight, but the entire season. Jack may have been better than Emmy and Triston, but everything about this dude (his tone, his mannerisms) grates on me. 

I actually welcome will delving into rock - helps showcase that he can be a bit versatile

The workload is tiring them all out for sure - personally a bit stunned triston didnt make it since the pimping he got was evident but glad people still have working ears

• Like 1

Just now, StarWalker1 said:

I actually welcome will delving into rock - helps showcase that he can be a bit versatile

The workload is tiring them all out for sure - personally a bit stunned triston didnt make it since the pimping he got was evident but glad people still have working ears

I’ll try to find Triston’s and Emmy’s later, but for now, I’ll assume they probably weren’t better than any of the finalists. 

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

I’ll try to find Triston’s and Emmy’s later, but for now, I’ll assume they probably weren’t better than any of the finalists. 

triston's life is a highway was prob top 3 worst vocals of the season LOL you called it 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

welp ... u certainly wont miss that much 

emmy did have a solid second performance thou

1 minute ago, StarWalker1 said:

welp ... u certainly wont miss that much 

emmy did have a solid second performance thou

I would have preferred Emmy over Jack, but I get why she didn’t make it, based on her up and down season. 

10 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I've been dreading the Toy Story song since I read Will was singing it. I don't even like the way Chris Stapleton sounds on it, and it goes nowhere.

I agree with your comments about the second song. TPTB probably want to avoid having too many country songs per episode, but I wish these shows would just let the contestants sing whatever they want to sing.

• Like 1

Abi Carter - The Chain. That was a pretty mid performance, Chloe Kohanski is not shook. 

Part Of Your World - This was a fun performance I enjoyed watching this. That was way better than her The Chain performance.

Will - Lonesome Cowboy - This was an abomination one of the worst things I have seen in awhile. :dead:

Born To Be Wild - This was better from him. But it was a pretty standard performance from him.

Jack - Nobody's Fool - Meh whatever 

Space Oddity - This was definitely better than his other performance at least.

Okay I found a channel that uploaded Emmy's performances.

Carried Me With You - This was a real cute performance I enjoyed it.

The Climb - Honestly people should stop singing this song. I haven't really enjoyed anyones version of this really.

Posted (edited)

Just now getting to Will’s closing performance on my DVR. Very few people are capable of overpowering a loud band, live like he just did. There’s a reason contestants usually avoid these types of songs. It’s because they know they aren’t capable of pulling it off, especially on a song that everyone knows, like that one. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Triston - Life is A Highway I figured Triston wouldn't be able to handle a Rascal Flatts song so him bombing this isn't surprising.

Almost There- This I just found to be boring and it didn't really do anything for me.

Congratulations to the top 3, this is going to be one hell of a finale, all 3 had the most growth throughout the competition, their song choices tonight, loved, Will slayed Born to Be Wild and ABI looked and sounded like a princess.

5 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I don’t hate Emmy.  In fact, she was one of my side favorites.  But Hsamid is right — she just wasn’t a great singer and her performance skills definitely needed work.  I’m glad she got this far and I wish Emmy the best.

I personally think she and Abi were the best singers. I think that's subjective to a person's listening taste. But I have never seen a contestant in all of my years of watching this show receive as much hate and utter meanness as this girl did! I like her voice and I think she sounds great. Not every singer is a belter. I felt really sad and sorry for this girl reading the comments on this forum and on social media. Ridiculous the amount of grown women I see on FB, etc. insulting a young woman and tearing her down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

You mean, because her grandmother is country royalty?

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. She didn't "need" this show the way the others did. She needed it in her own way, because it helped her realize that she could stand on her own merits. But just the idea that someone who could have been nepo'd into the industry as the winner, something about it didn't sit right.

Nah that's where I think people are wrong. That's just jealousy in my opinion. Kind of like the old saying "Misery loves company". Emmy and her story and her own personal journey with anxiety and insecurities is prob my fave story of any contestant on this show and I've watched since Justin and Kelly. People attacked her and thought she was undeserving because of the family she was born to...she can't help that and it made her no less deserving than the next person. I am proud of her for being courageous and I mean it's no wonder the poor girl wasn't able to grow as much as she could...the comments online were literally ridiculously hateful. That's when she became my number one over Abi, when people just chose to single her out and crap all over her b/c her mother is loretta lynn's daughter.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Iam really exploited a loophole for Disney Night last season with Abi, Jack, and Will singing songs that are not true "Disney" song but appeared in Disney media. :haha: Seeing that the Disney theme is a staple, it will be interesting to see what will happen with it in the future.

On the Disney subject, Katy finally picked a costume that looked nice and didn't result in some sort of wardrobe malfunction. I'll be honest: one of the things I'll miss about her leaving is seeing what Disney character she would dress up as every season.

Speaking of Abi, Jack, and Will, congratulations to them for reaching the finals! Here's hoping to some strong performances from all three next week.

EDIT: I should add Triston with "Life Is A Highway" as well but seeing that song is so ingrained with Cars, it probably not that big of a deal as the others.

Edited by Crisis