AI22 Top 20 Song Choices & Instruments

http://www.theidolpad.com/2024/04/ai22-top-20-song-choices-instruments.html

15.5 of 20

Launched Saturday, April 13th

Abi Carter (with piano) - “Welcome To The Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance

Ajii - song by Teddy Swims

Emmy Russell - “Want You” (original song)

Jack Blocker (with guitar) - “You Don’t Mess Around With Jim” by Jim Croce

Jayna Elise Brown - “My All” by Mariah Carey

Jennifer Jeffries (with guitar) - T.B.D.

Jordan Anthony - “When The Party’s Over” by Billie Eilish

Julia Gagnon - T.B.D.

K.B. Richins (with piano) - “Girl I Am Now” (original song)

Kayko (with electric guitar) - “Over You” (original song)

Kennedy Reid - “Love Can Build A Bridge” by The Judds

Mackenzie Sol (with piano) - “I’ll Never Love Again” by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (from ‘A Star Is Born’)

McKenna Breinholt - “Both Sides, Now” by Joni Mitchell

Mia Makana Matthews (with guitar) - “Wildflowers And Wild Horses” by Lainey Wilson

Nyachomba “Nya” Muchai-Kinya - “Georgia On My Mind” by Hoagy Carmichael/Ray Charles

Odell Bunton, Jr. - T.B.D.

Quintavious Johnson - “Hollow” by Tori Kelly

Roman Collins - “Never Would Have Made It” by Marvin Sapp

Triston Harper - “Hope” (original song)

Will Moseley - T.B.D.

Edited by Idol Maniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

McKenna’s performance should be beautiful. Kennedy could possibly slip into the Top 10 with this song choice. I’m not gonna count her out until I hear the performance. 

KB is being smart singing “Girl I Am Now.” 

• Like 1

Just now, Carrie_On said:

McKenna’s performance should be beautiful. Kennedy could possibly slip into the Top 10 with this song choice. I’m not gonna count her out until I hear the performance. 

KB is being smart singing “Girl I Am Now.” 

and Julia closing ... yeah shes gonna be here for awhile

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

Don’t most people consider BSN to be a Judy Collins song? Her version is the one that charted on US radio.

Yeah but I think nowadays more people recognize it as Joni Mitchell’s song more especially with her stepping back the public eye. It’s considered to be one of her most iconic songs, it was performed in the Kennedy Center tribute to her and she also sang it herself at last year’s Grammys.

• Like 1

wildcard speculation:

- Since Nya and Jayna are fighting for the same Wildcard slot, I think it's going to come down to who has the flashier song choice. In this case, I think Jayna is taking it unless she flops, in which case they're choosing Nya. 

- I think MacKenzie's performance might get a little messy but I feel like the judges/producers really like him and might choose him especially with the big song

- Ajii has a great shot at being picked no matter what he does I think

1 hour ago, hazuki said:

Really excited to hear Abis rendition of Black Parade. Ajii doing another Teddy Swims song is kind of disappointing.

Kayko only doing orignals the chance he get lol.  

He’s probably like Alejandro from Season  17:  fine with original songs but not so good with covers.

2 hours ago, hazuki said:

Kayko only doing orignals the chance he get lol.  

Too bad his originals suck. The impostor syndrome song from Hollywood Week had the corniest and least subtle lyrics I've ever heard. The one from Hawaii was better I guess but still not great. I think he wants to come off as this thoughtful and sensitive indie rock songwriter like a Chris Martin or Marcus Mumford but he ends up turning into the Disney parody of that kind of singer.

The ironic thing is he would probably be better off singing covers by the bands and artists he is clearly trying to emulate.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Too bad his originals suck. The impostor syndrome song from Hollywood Week had the corniest and least subtle lyrics I've ever heard. The one from Hawaii was better I guess but still not great.

The ironic thing is he would probably be better off singing covers by the bands and artists he is clearly trying to emulate.

agreed! even Alejandro had done multiple covers at this point (Sorry and Yellow) and he is obviously the superior songwriter. 

while it is good to get your music out there, you also have to establish who your artistic inspirations are by singing covers. it gives viewers an idea of what lane you want to go down in the industry, and singing songs that the audience is familiar with makes it easier to gain support.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

. I think he wants to come off as this thoughtful and sensitive indie rock songwriter like a Chris Martin or Marcus Mumford but he ends up turning into the Disney parody of that kind of singer.

Lol now that i'm thinking ,he gives vibes of a main character in a random Disney Channel movie where he is a "normal nerdy guy" that is bullied in school and have a dream of being a singer and then thanks to destiny and Disney magic, he casually enters a singing competition so he can finally achieve his dream and prove everyone that doubt him wrong. 

Literally the way he ended up auditioning would fit perfectly into that plot lol.

• Haha 1

He's an alternative pop singer. He never ever tried to come off as anything but. His songs are beautifully written for someone so young. It takes too much effort to hate. Why don't you just congratulate?

6 hours ago, m1key said:

agreed! even Alejandro had done multiple covers at this point (Sorry and Yellow) and he is obviously the superior songwriter. 

while it is good to get your music out there, you also have to establish who your artistic inspirations are by singing covers. it gives viewers an idea of what lane you want to go down in the industry, and singing songs that the audience is familiar with makes it easier to gain support.

You hate with every guy, including Alejandro.  Last season you went after Colin Stough with a vengeance.  He ended up getting the first to be signed.

4 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

You hate with every guy, including Alejandro.  Last season you went after Colin Stough with a vengeance.  He ended up getting the first to be signed.

1) i don't really "hate" many contestants, and i certainly don't hate every guy. there are actually multiple guys that I enjoy this season: Ajii, Jack, Odell, and Mackenzie. Will's performance last week was even one of my favorites of Hawaii! i am obviously more passionate about the girls (which is a bias that i am open about) but it doesn't mean i automatically look down upon male contestants. 

2) Alejandro's run has aged well for me. i did initially dislike him but now i appreciate him and what he brought to the show more. 

3) Colin is one of the contestants I do hate and that is likely not going to change. i feel that he did the bare minimum each week last season and has continuously been rewarded for it (by making the Finale and getting signed). i will admit that he is obviously in a better position than a lot of my favorites post-season, but part of that is also because of his privilege as a straight white male country singer. 

14 minutes ago, m1key said:

1) i don't really "hate" many contestants, and i certainly don't hate every guy. there are actually multiple guys that I enjoy this season: Ajii, Jack, Odell, and Mackenzie. Will's performance last week was even one of my favorites of Hawaii! i am obviously more passionate about the girls (which is a bias that i am open about) but it doesn't mean i automatically look down upon male contestants. 

2) Alejandro's run has aged well for me. i did initially dislike him but now i appreciate him and what he brought to the show more. 

3) Colin is one of the contestants I do hate and that is likely not going to change. i feel that he did the bare minimum each week last season and has continuously been rewarded for it (by making the Finale and getting signed). i will admit that he is obviously in a better position than a lot of my favorites post-season, but part of that is also because of his privilege as a straight white male country singer. 

But did you vote for any guys this season?  It's very telling when someone's signature of favorites are just all white privilege girls and 1 white gay guy.  No diversity.  No representation.

1 minute ago, mytake1 said:

But did you vote for any guys this season?  It's very telling when someone's signature of favorites are just all white privilege girls and 1 white gay guy.  No diversity.  No representation.

Why do you care so much who likes who?  

8 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Why do you care so much who likes who?  

It's the same thing every year - a certain type of performer (white, bland female) gets pimped here, but end up going nowhere after the show.