Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (Final Round)

Steven_

4. THAT DON'T IMPRESS ME MUCH – SHANIA TWAIN

67935a2202a5a8863a03dcf96d12d797.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 2

AKSHAR: 3

COREY: 4

TOM: 4

GIGI: 6

QK: 6

STEVEN: 6

RICHARD: 7

DEREK: 9

LILY: 9

WALLACE: 10

NICO: 14

ERIK: 16

ALEX: 17

COREY

Shania is such a tease!

RICHARD

This song is a lot of fun. Lots of attitude and spunk with some strong vocals to match. Shania’s voice is undeniably country, but at the same time, there’s an accessibility to it that makes it more appealing to listeners outside that genre. Which is definitely the case here.

WALLACE

200.webp

I've always really love "That Don't Impress Me Much" from Shania Twain. :wub: I think it's my 2nd favorite song of hers as well. Of the eligible Shania songs for 1999, this was the main song I was really hoping for to make it through to the Finals 20, so yayy I'm glad it happened! I also reallly wanted to try to squeeze this song in my Top 10, so I could have at least one Shania song in there, so I'm glad that could happen too. :haha: I really love the fun, flirty and sassy side of Shania that she showcases in this song! I love the attitude she brings in the opening verse, I love the parts where she sings:

I've known a few guys who thought they were pretty smart 

You think you're a genius, you drive me up the wall
You're a regular original, a know-it-all

The pre-chorus and chorus of this song is sooo fun!

Oh, oh, you think you're special
Oh, oh, you think you're something else
Okay, so you're a rocket scientist
That don't impress me much 

So you got the brain but have you got the touch
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

So fun! :bobo: While I love the first verse, I love the second verse even more. And that's kind of the iconic part of the song for me too. 

I never knew a guy who carried a mirror in his pocket
And a comb up his sleeve-just in case
And all that extra hold gel in your hair oughta lock it
'Cause Heaven forbid it should fall outta place

And then of course one of my favorite parts where she sings: 

Okay, so you're Brad Pitt

:giggle: LOL of course that Brad Pitt line is and will always be iconic! :dead: Def one of the standout and my favorite parts of the song. But I also love the second chorus she sings here as well:

So you got the looks but have you got the touch
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night

The bridge is another super fun part of the song that I love too where she sings:

You're one of those guys who likes to shine his machine
You make me take off my shoes before you let me get in
I can't believe you kiss your car good night
C'mon baby tell me, you must be jokin', right

:dead: But then also the ending of the song cracks me up where she sings:

Okay, so what do you think you're Elvis or something
Whatever

Oh Shania! :giggle: "That Don't Impress Me Much" is just so good and I can't say enough good things about it! I would LOVE to see this be ranked as the highest ranked Shania song and hope it can do so. I'm not sure if it can as I think "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" could get that title but we'll see.

ALEX

Three Shania? Umm…sure

3. MAN! I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN – SHANIA TWAIN

c40bf9089c739567e75029d4d0f0ff06.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

TOM: 1

AKSHAR: 2

LILY: 2

QK: 5

STEVEN: 5

GIGI: 7

COREY: 8

NICO: 10

RICHARD: 10

DEREK: 13

ERIK: 13

WALLACE: 14

ALEX: 15

STEVEN

"Man! I Feel Like A Woman" and "That Don't Impress Me Much" are standouts in Shania Twain's discography, so I'm glad to see both rank highly here.

COREY

A sassy song by Shania. She should stick to this style, rather than her slow numbers.

RICHARD

This is one of those songs where I think the verses are actually stronger than the choruses. There’s a lot of attitude in the verses that doesn’t quite carry over. Maybe part of it’s the melody, which seems a little limp at times. Honestly, this is mostly me just nitpicking, because I do think this is a good song overall that’s sung well.

WALLACE

shania-twain-i-feel-like-a-woman.gif

"Man! I Feel Like a Woman" is a really fun and catchy song from Shania Twain! Of Shania's songs, I would definitely consider this one of my favorite songs of hers. I'm not exactly sure.... but now I'm thinking maybe my 3rd favorite song of hers? I love the attitude and sass that she brings to the song with her vocals and delivery here. This song also has a really fun anthemic feel to it that can be so easy and fun to sing along to. :bobo:  I like how Shania sings the verses in a low sultry and sexy kind of way. Though I really love it where she brings her vocals up on the pre-chorus and chorus where she sings:

The best thing about bein' a woman
Is the prerogative to have a little fun and 

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy, forget I'm a lady
Men's shirts, short skirts
Oh, oh, oh, really go wild, yeah, doin' it in style
Oh, oh, oh, get in the action, feel the attraction
Color my hair, do what I dare
Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free, yeah, to feel the way I feel
Man, I feel like a woman (hey!)

:bobo: From the second verse, I also love the part where Shania sings:

We don't need romance, we only wanna dance
We're gonna let our hair hang down

Oooh and I must also say, the band really kills it on this song. I love the music instrumental here and how much fun and rocking it out they are doing here. :bobo: Shania also kills it with her ad-libs on the closing of the song which is so fun!

Hey!
Oh, oh, yeah, yeah
Act totally crazy
Can you feel it?
Come, come, come on baby
I feel like a woman

:bobo:

This is a great song from Shania and I have no doubt that this will do really well here. Although I am pulling for another song of hers - and I can't predict how her songs will rank but I am curious and excited to find out.

2. LIVIN' LA VIDA LOCA – RICKY MARTIN

b73583c0615cb98e456b5c5589ac6f39.981x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 1

STEVEN: 1

LILY: 5

ALEX: 3

RICHARD: 3

WALLACE: 5

DEREK: 6

AKSHAR: 9

ERIK: 9

NICO: 9

CHRIS: 11

GIGI: 12

TOM: 15

QK: 17

COREY

The most iconic Ricky Martin song, and definitely his best.

STEVEN

"Livin' La Vida Loca" is one of my favorite songs. I go back and forth between this one and "The Cup of Life" for my favorite Ricky Martin song, but I think "LIvin' La Vida Loca" has the edge. The production elements here are excellent; the instrumentation here makes this a very catchy song. Ricky Martin also delivers this so well. He's fully committed and has lots of charisma. It's such a fun song to listen to, and I'm glad to see it rank very high here.

ALEX

Shrek 2’s impact >>>>>>>

RICHARD

This is a guilty pleasure song done right. It’s fun and kitschy, but with so much attitude and grit behind it. Ricky really sells the song from beginning to end and commits 100% with the vocals, and then the composition with the horns and other instruments really ties everything together well. Great song.

WALLACE

giphy.webp

I'm really glad that "Livin’ La Vida Loca"  mainly so that I can give it a high ranking, as I do feel bad for the ranking I gave "The Cup of Life" last round. But also really, I'm glad that "Livin’ La Vida Loca"  is here because this has always been and stood out as my favorite Ricky Martin song! I remember how Ricky was at the top of his career - coming off that electric Grammys performance to releasing this song, which was an absolute HUGE hit. This song was so big and everywhere in 1999! This song was also a big reason why the Latin music explosion took off and was so successful in the late 90s/early 00s. 

"Livin’ La Vida Loca"  is such a blast of a song. I love how fun, upbeat and dancey the music is. Ricky's vocals are great and he really sells the energy perfectly of this song. He also taught me that "Livin’ La Vida Loca"  meant living the crazy life, so yay I know a bit of Spanish. :giggle: This is one of the most fun songs ever. I love the opening verse where Ricky sings:

She's into superstitions
Black cats and voodoo dolls
I feel a premonition
That girl's gonna make me fall

I love how he builds the song up some more on the very fun pre-chorus that goes:

She'll make you take your clothes off and go dancing in the rain
She'll make you live her crazy life, but she'll take away your pain
Like a bullet to your brain
Come on!

And then when that chorus comes in? It's so explosive and fun! I love it all where Ricky sings:

Upside, inside out
She's livin' la vida loca
She'll push and pull you down
Livin' la vida loca
Her lips are devil red
And her skin's the color mocha
She will wear you out
Livin' la vida loca
Come on!
Livin' la vida loca
Come on!

SO fun and catchy! :bobo: I also really love the second verse and second pre-chorus. That's another fun part of the song.

Woke up in New York City
In a funky cheap hotel
She took my heart, and she took my money
She must've slipped me a sleeping pill 

She never drinks the water and
Makes you order French champagne
Once you've had a taste of her
You'll never be the same
Yeah, she'll make you go insane
Come on!

The rest of the song continues to be so fun and entertaining! And it's just another one of those songs that makes me happy and put a smile on my face whenever I hear it. The band really goes OFF at the end of the song. I love the energy they bring there and also where Ricky sings:

Livin' la vida loca
Come on!
Livin' la vida loca
Come on!

Come on!
Gotta la vida loca!
Gotta, gotta, gotta la vida loca!
Gotta, gotta, gotta la vi'...

"Livin' La Vida Loca" is a classic and such a great and fun song from Ricky Martin! I think this should definitely do better than "The Cup of Life" - or at least I hope so. But I don't know if this can or will crack the Top 10. I can see it barely making it there or missing out, probably the latter - but I'd love to be proven wrong.

1. NO SCRUBS – TLC

52bee93cd49b19f8f0daca9a03f61c09.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

LILY: 1

NICO: 1

RICHARD: 1

WALLACE: 2

ERIK: 4

DEREK: 5

GIGI: 5

COREY: 6

STEVEN: 7

ALEX: 9

TOM: 9

QK: 16

CHRIS: 18

RICHARD

From beginning to end, this song is a complete package. The composition is mellow and chill, but it’s carried by a lot of attitude in the vocal delivery and of course the rap towards the end. The production here is top-notch, too. Overall, there’s never a dull moment in this one, and I think it would make a very deserving winner.

WALLACE

tumblr_pkn41yvzkL1v72ye8o1_540.gif

"No Scrubs" is such an iconic, legendary song and I really love it a ton! :wub: It's often really close on whether if this is my favorite song from TLC. It's between this or "Waterfalls," though I may give the edge to "No Scrubs" since I followed its chart run/heard it so much when it was out as I was following the music scene at that time. :haha: I feel like "No Scrubs" was one of, if not, THE originator song of putting bad or wrong men in their place - when these songs were popular in the late 90s/into the 2000s. I love what all of the ladies of TLC bring to this song. Though Chilli does sing most of the lead vocals. I love her vocals a ton and she really slays on this song. I love how she sings the opening verse that goes:

A scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly
And is also known as a busta
Always talkin' about what he wants
And just sits on his broke a
So no, I don't want your number
No, I don't want to give you mine and
No, I don't want to meet you nowhere
No, I don't want none of your time and

:bobo: Then of course the chorus is sooo good, memorable and so easy & fun sing along to. 

No, I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
Hangin' out the passenger side
Of his best friend's ride
Trying to holla at me
I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
Hangin' out the passenger side
Of his best friend's ride
Trying to holla at me

Chilli continues to kill it on the second verse. I love all of what she sings there as well:

Well a scrub checkin' me
But his game is kinda weak
And I know that he cannot approach me
'Cause I'm looking like class, and he's looking like trash
Can't get wit' a deadbeat a

The bridge is another great part of the song too. Chilli sounds so pretty there but she's really telling it with what she's singing there! (!) 

If you don't have a car and you're walking
Oh yes son, I'm talking to you
If you live at home with your momma
Oh yes son, (I'm) I'm talking to you (baby)
If you have a shorty that you don't show love
Oh yes son, I'm talking to you
Wanna get me with no money
Oh no, I don't want no
No scrub, no scrub (no, no)
No scrub (no, no, no), no scrub (no, no)

But then OH YESS, I absolutely LOVE and am so HERE Left-Eye's rap verse on this song. It's soo good! It's so wrong how it's not in the original album version. But at least the video version blessed us with her rap here. :wub: Left-Eye kills it! I remember trying to learn that rap and I was determined with that too. :giggle: My favorite parts from Left-Eye's verse are where she raps:

so! let me give ya somethin to think about
INUNDATE YOUR MIND WITH INTENTIONS TO TURN YOU OUT
can't forget the focus on the picture in front of me...
you as clear as DVD on digital  TV screen
satitisfy my appetite with somethign spectacular
check your vanacular
and then i'll get back to ya 

MISTA big willie
if ya really wanna know
ask chilli
could i be a silly how?
NOT REALLY! T-Boz and all my senioritas
is steppin on ya fillas
but you don't hear me THOUGH

Then I love the rest of the song from and to the ending and love all of Chilli's vocal ad-libs. :wub: I also really love the music  video. It's so fun with its futuristic feel! I do feel pretty certain and hopeful that "No Scrubs" can rank really well, or at least I hope so. I really hope it can rank highly as I would really love to see this make the Top 4, so fingers crossed! 

COREY

This song never gets old, and the lyrics are so unique. But I think the girls are being hard on the "scrubs", especially with that creepy Left-eye Lopez chick "hanging off their passenger side"

STEVEN

"No Scrubs" was my winner prediction before the round even started, so no surprise to see it easily claim the win.

1 hour ago, *Chris said:

I wasn't going to tank it then I remembered my friend Derek been tanking all my faves that could win during the last few rounds so I said why not do the same!

Ahh that's totally fair, I suppose.

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

I finally didn't tank former winners (Destiny's Child and Britney) and everyone else helped come through for me instead :wub::wub::wub: teamwork makes the dream work

At least you didn't tank them so #bless for that! ❤️ 

- Ah I was hoping for "That Don't Impress Me Much" to win for the Shania songs but this still getting to 4th is still really amazing. Such a fun song and one of my faves from her. ❤️
- Well done to "Man! I Feel Like A Woman" making it to 3rd. It's impressive to see two country songs make it all the way to the Top 4 but if anyone can do it, it's Shania. This is a classic too though I've felt more partial towards TDIMM.
- I had a feeling "Livin' La Vida Loca" would do really well but dangg I was not expecting this to make it all the way to 2nd!  :omg: Super impressive for Ricky Martin. Agreed with everyone's comments on this song.
- Omg yayyy for "No Scrubs" winning! :wub: If "Baby One More Time" couldn't do it then I am reallly pleased this song could do it! ❤️ Veryy nice domination for this one! Yayy for 4 #1s! And OH SNAP this being Richard's #1 too? Was not expecting that but slayy! :bobo: This is such an iconic jam! And so deserving of winning (and it makes me feel better about "Unpretty" exclusion here). Oooh love how Steven predicted this to win even though I did not have that same confidence for this. :haha: Great winner! ❤️ 

On 9/26/2024 at 10:38 PM, *Wallace said:

AND WHAT'S ERIK'S PROBLEM with Monica's voice in the 90s? I really want to know

same i'm still trying to figure it out tbh

• Haha 1

I figured it would be either Britney or TLC, but thought Britney would be higher up. I also guessed correctly that Shania Twain would do well, but I thought it would be the one I ranked at the bottom instead.

tumblr_op9l19Jv3i1vf9b9ao8_r1_400.gif

I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston

tumblr_ojv34x7EwH1u501aoo1_400.gif

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

d096be2a7c5c67f32a5cea8ccc9ac3e3.gif

Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana

9a485b190b77988d437266341d97f820.gif

Black or White – Michael Jackson

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952gvmv99o44epam78plghcuyfxasi7i1smlfctdq3n&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

en-vogue-my-lovin.gif

My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)- En Vogue

tumblr_ml6ixpDQmE1s21wj4o1_250.gif

If - Janet Jackson

giphy-downsized.gif?cid=549b592dfbl4i5apd0orpvkzxg1w2owpwvf4x9ax7hdsm9va&rid=giphy-downsized.gif&ct=g

I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston

tumblr_p2mzirXwoY1r5zq6ao7_400.gif

Zombie - The Cranberries

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952il8slizq5xbh6i39cte9ur1hvb8p98fpdufohi2g&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The Power of Love – Celine Dion

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9523bp2wgswbb8mj28jb8zkufcbaf8b97o2sps0lx2q&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952kl8uehu91x7ksrgnxq3b56fpd6f7mfditsd3pzq3&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Waterfalls – TLC

TQNKaS.gif

It's All Coming Back to Me Now - Celine Dion

23ia2j5.gif

Ironic - Alanis Morisette

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952uhpdtydmin4zjnekajoxxd1y2e7ge48l3myqxrir&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Torn – Natalie Imbruglia

aXMgRi.gif

Wannabe - Spice Girls

x_Ry_G.gif

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

NVOD.gif

The Boy is Mine - Brandy and Monica

tumblr_pkn41yvzkL1v72ye8o1_540.gif

No Scrubs - TLC

4dBd.gif

Livin’ La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin

It's now time to pick an overall winner.

The Top 2 songs from each year make up our final Top 20.

You can now submit a ranking of the Top 20 songs. #1 is your favorite; #20 is your least favorite. You are required to write comments for all 20 songs for your ranking to be accepted.

Only people who have participated in any of the past rounds are eligible to submit a ranking.

The deadline is by the end of the day Tuesday, October 15th.

If you have any questions, then let me know.

Good luck to your favorites!

@jarmon @Alex95 @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @Elliott @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @QueenKalie @.Rei @rdhaley96 @~Tom~ @*Wallace

• Steven_ changed the title to Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (Final Round)