Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (1995 Round)

Steven_

TOP 20

The Other Side – Aerosmith

Black Velvet - Alannah Myles

Love Shack - The B-25's

Poison – Bell Biv DeVoe

Hard to Handle – The Black Crowes

Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode

Hold On - En Vogue

Black Cat - Janet Jackson

Blaze of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi

Vision of Love - Mariah Carey

Get Here - Oleta Adams

Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul

It Must Have Been Love - Roxette

Crazy - Seal

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

The Power - Snap

Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic

Free Fallin – Tom Petty

I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston

Hold On - Wilson Phillips

Rankers can now send me their rankings. Write-ups are not required, but comments are appreciated. The deadline to send me your rankings is by the end of the day Sunday, January 21st.

@jarmon @Alex95 @*Chris @FrogLenzen @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @QueenKalie @rdhaley96 @~Tom~ @*Wallace

A decent Top 20 with some songs I love or really like in there. Although I'm sad and disappointed that "Rhythm Nation" and "U Can't Touch This" didn't make the Top 20 as both were big standouts of the year for me and would have been in my Top 3. 😭 I'll still jam out to both jams though.

:bobo: 

2 hours ago, Qorey said:

I know it doesn't count toward the vote, but can I send in my rankings and comments anyway?

You can post your thoughts here on the thread as the results are being posted. Including extra comments in the reveals would just be extra work for me.

• Like 1

20. THE OTHER SIDE – AEROSMITH

5de6a629860cd11fdfcca76bb58adc50.500x503x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 2

NICO: 14

STEVEN: 14

RICHARD: 15

TOM: 16

ERIK: 17

GIGI: 17

AKSHAR: 18

CHRIS: 18

ALEX: 19

DEREK: 19

LILY: 19

WALLACE: 20

STEVEN

I've never heard this song before. It's fine, but I don't think it's one of the standouts here. I like the "you love me, you hate me" parts, but everything else was just okay. It could grow on me with more listens, but it ranks here for me for now.

RICHARD

This song definitely grew on me throughout my listen. I didn’t really care for it at first, but I found myself jamming along to it in the second half. Steven Tyler is obviously a great singer, too.

ALEX

Aerosmith is hit or miss for me. This song’s so generic.

WALLACE

jorkgs.gif

I think I know a good amount of Aerosmith singles, but "The Other Side" is a song that slipped past by me and I never heard it before. I first heard it here through this rankdown. On my first listen (or few by now), it's okay. It could be a song that grows on me with more listens but I'm not going to do that now. It's fun and it has that fun Steven Tyler humor to it - and I can get the appeal to it from those that like it. But I definitely prefer a number of other Aerosmith songs over this one.

19. THE POWER – SNAP!

9a13b48aa1899c9c5530f560df393063.500x500x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 6

TOM: 7

RICHARD: 10

DEREK: 12

ALEX: 13

NICO: 13

GIGI: 14

LILY: 15

STEVEN: 15

CHRIS: 16

QK: 16

ERIK: 18

AKSHAR: 20

WALLACE

4786fbf4-b08e-41b5-af4f-9fb973827d20_tex

So the songs in my #6 and #7 spots are both jams that I do really like/love and before this game, I never really thought to compare them or figure out which song I liked more between the two. I guess I'll give this song the higher rank because it's probably the song I remember and played more often in my lifetime? I do love the chorus, especially those I GOT THE POWER parts. I also really enjoy the rapper on the song and what he brings here. The music production is so fun and has such a great jamming feel to it. :bobo: I love it when it has that intense feel to it too. I don't know if I can see this song doing too well but I'll be happy to support it with a high ranking.

RICHARD

Really interesting song that I don’t know entirely what to make of. Like a lot of others here, this one’s very repetitive, but I feel like the repetition almost makes it more interesting and drives home the lyrics.

ALEX

Like sure, I liked this song but did it really need to be 5+ minutes long?

STEVEN

I've heard the hook of this song in movies and TV before, but this is the first time I've sat down to listen to it from beginning to end. It's catchy, but it isn't a song I would care to add to a playlist and listen to regularly.

18. HOLD ON – EN VOGUE

e44e3504fca29ffccdcfdc79e039391f.1000x871x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 5

ALEX: 6

LILY: 10

ERIK: 11

QK: 11

GIGI: 13

STEVEN: 13

AKSHAR: 14

TOM: 14

CHRIS: 17

DEREK: 17

NICO: 20

RICHARD: 20

WALLACE

bd6ded2731de3785bcb37006c617c530.gif

En Vogue's debut single, "Hold On." :wub: Wow En Vogue really came out guns blazing with "Hold On."  I really love the opening a capella intro they do of "Who's Lovin' You." They really SANG THAT! They sounded so powerful and beautiful there. :omg: :wub: Then I love how the funky and upbeat "Hold On" part of the song comes on. This is such a hot, fun, funky and sultry song. I love the vocals and harmonies the ladies of En Vogue bring here. :wub: The chorus is so good and fantastic (though so are the verses).

Don't waste your time
Fighting blind minded thoughts of dispair
Hold on to your love
You gotta hold on
Hold on to your love
Ooh, ooh, baby hold on
Hold on to your love
You gotta hold on
Hold on to your love

:bobo: 

"Hold On" is so fun and I love what the ladies bring to the song. :wub: What a great way for En Vogue to launch their career!

ALEX

The “Who’s Loving You” intro added 10 years to my life

STEVEN

Strong harmonies and a catchy beat. I wasn't familiar with this song, but I liked it well enough after listening to it.

RICHARD

Not a fan of the beginning. I appreciate the MJ callback, but I found the vocal and harmonies to be unpleasant and almost earsplitting, oop. The rest of the song feels just as dissonant (and forgettable to boot). I guess I can see why some people might like the song, but I’m regrettably not one of them.

17. ENJOY THE SILENCE – DEPECHE MODE

005e30e154b82811bd28308b7c0a63bc.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

TOM: 2

CHRIS: 7

NICO: 7

LILY: 9

QK: 9

ALEX: 12

ERIK: 12

STEVEN: 16

AKSHAR: 17

RICHARD: 19

WALLACE: 19

DEREK: 20

GIGI: 20

STEVEN

I didn't recognize this song by the title and artist, but then I listened to it and realized I have heard this before. The song has an intriguing vibe to it, but is it a song I'll seek out to listen to again? I don't think so. But I wouldn't be bothered if I did hear it again.

RICHARD

I think I actually just realized I don’t particularly like this song, even though I advanced it in the first round. xD I feel like it’s basically “I’m Too Sexy” if someone tried to make it sentimental, which is… no, lol.

WALLACE

EOma.gif

I can't say I know much about Depeche Mode or their music, tbh. I feel like I know and learn of their music through DWTS (looking through their songs, I see that I do love "Personal Jesus"). I feel like I may have been really familiar with this song from Daniel & Britt's Jazz on DWTS, which wazs a great dance. I can't remember if I heard it before then, but I'm thinking I did. Anyway, this is another song that's just alright but not doing too much for me.

#7 The Other Side – Aerosmith

1990 was such a terrible year for melodious pop. Most songs from that year that weren't going for a rap sound are very dry and understated. It's weird to think that Aerosmith made one of the prettiest song on this list.

#3 The Power - Snap

I thought this song was very unusual at the time, but I ended up liking it a lot.

#17 Hold On - En Vogue

The exhausting intro leads into a song that's just okay.

#5 Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode

The most melodious song on this list.

- No complaints with "The Other Side"'s ranking.
- Awww I wish that "The Power" could have done better. :( That's a fun song but guess not too surprised with this ranking. :(
- Ugh booo at "Hold On" showing up already. That's disappointing and such a bummer. :( I thought this would have made it to at least the second set. And 🙂 @ Richard's comments,,, they ain't right. :claybleh: This deserved better.
- Ooh well okay, Richard's comments on "Enjoy the Silence" does make me LOL and the surprise of not caring for the song was funny to read. :lmao: I'm fine with this ranking.

This is such a strange first set with my Bottom 2 showing up + 2 songs I love showing up too. :dead: 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Only surprise so far is Richard advancing “Enjoy the Silence” in the first round only to rank it 19th. :haha:

I guess for me, this was one of those times when you remember something to be better than it actually is, lol. :stealth:

Lots of #20s revealed and no #1s revealed yet.

#1s left (13): akshar, alex, chris, derek, erik, gigi, lily, nico, qk, richard, steven, tom, wallace
#1s revealed (0): 

#20s left (7):  alex, chris, erik, lily, qk, steven, tom
#20s revealed (6): wallace, akshar, nico, richard, derek, gigi