Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (1995 Round)

Steven_

4. VISION OF LOVE – MARIAH CAREY

04e6af18a1126ba9ed8d0b7bc06da47f.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 1

LILY: 1

ERIK: 2

STEVEN: 2

WALLACE: 2

RICHARD: 5

AKSHAR: 6

NICO: 8

DEREK: 10

CHRIS: 14

ALEX: 16

QK: 18

TOM: 19

ERIK

Hows this even possible

STEVEN

I'm not too well-versed on Mariah Carey's discography, but "Vision of Love" is definitely one of my favorite songs from her. It's such a stellar vocal performance from her. She sounds so impressive, especially on the high notes. I like the melody too and how it builds to that chorus. Really strong debut single from her.

WALLACE

tumblr_msqkf9LMP41qm11ozo8_250.gif

Baby Mariah's debut single! :wub: "Vision of Love" is such a momentual song for Mariah Carey to kick off her legendary career. Mariah DOMINATED the 90s and it all started off with this song. Ahh this is such an incredible song from Mariah. I love how soulful, powerful, vulnerable, emotional and just everything else you can think of to describe this song. :wub: Mariah's vocals are so flawless and beautiful here. ❤️ I love the different ways she sings the chorus of the song - sometimes soft and quiet and sometimes big and powerful. It's all very impactful though.

I had a vision of love
And it was all that you've given to me
I had a vision of love
And it was all that you've given me

:wub: 

I love the power that she showcases in the second verse, specificially where she sings:

Prayed through the nights
Felt so alone 

Had to be strong
So I believed

Mariah absolutely crushes the song on the bridge and final verses/chorus of the song.... it's soo good! :omg: All of her power notes and the whistle notes.... just so out of this world!

I've realized a dream
And I visualized
The love that came to be
Feel so alive
I'm so thankful that I've received
The answer that heaven has sent down to me 

You treated me kind (yeah)
Sweet destiny (and you know that you did)
And I'll be eternally grateful
Holding you so close to me (prayed through the nights)
Prayed through the nights (so faithfully)
So faithfully (faithfully)
Knowing the one that I needed
Would find me eventually (he would find me)

I also like how simple the music video is. There doesn't need to be much to it or no big production as Mariah's incredible vocals do all the work here! I have no idea where this song ranks for me amongst Mariah's discography but I do love it and am VERY glad it's made it through to the Top 20 as this was one of the few songs I really wanted to make it to the end! So yayy for that. :wub: I know some people aren't really fans of hers, so I do expect some tanks but hopefully there won't be too much to prevent this from getting a good ranking.

RICHARD

Great vocal showcase, and I predict the song is going to do really well here because of that. It’s ultimately not my #1 because I feel like it lacks a clear hook, but that aside, I don’t need to talk about how sensational Mariah’s voice is.

ALEX

Mariah's talented. But I’ll just never go out of my way to listen to a Mariah Carey song cause I just don’t care.

3. BLACK VELVET – ALANNAH MYLES

1e41000f989afe585a44c5da76bcd618.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 3

RICHARD: 3

NICO: 4

ERIK: 5

GIGI: 5

QK: 6

DEREK: 7

TOM: 6

LILY: 8

AKSHAR: 9

ALEX: 9

WALLACE: 9

STEVEN: 12

RICHARD

Am I the only one who had no clue this song was about Elvis? It certainly has a bluesy vibe that makes for a good tribute to him. It’s overall a great track with a lot of soul and grit and a certain darkness to it that’s almost magnetic.

WALLACE

a10e63d403fdce93a3ea943ebb3db52ac7aec9ba.gif

I believe I first became familiar with "Black Velvet" with Nikki McKibbin's performance of it on American Idol. I liked that performance and I liked that song - so I enjoyed the original too. I think this is an enjoyable and pretty cool song. The verses are softer and more lowkey than I remembered it being but they're cool. I do love the chorus and think that it's very catchy.  I have a feeling this song could do well but not sure how well it will do.

STEVEN

Like Wallace said, I also first heard this song on American Idol. I do like this song, but it's not one I ever sought out to listen to. Nonetheless, I enjoy listening to it now and wouldn't mind hearing it again.

2. NOTHING COMPARES 2 U – SINEAD O'CONNOR

a5139b0936d33fec7e8654f1144d2be8.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

NICO: 1

TOM: 1

AKSHAR: 2

RICHARD: 2

ERIK: 3

GIGI: 4

WALLACE: 4

QK: 5

STEVEN: 9

ALEX: 11

LILY: 13

DEREK: 15

RICHARD

Really succinct and beautiful song. Her vocal on it isn’t the most flashy or well-trained, but those aspects make it come across as more heartfelt and raw. The video for the song is gorgeous, too.

WALLACE

bc053346-eea8-40e8-a174-05166152feef_tex

"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor is a really beautiful, gorgeous and moving song. Sinead sounds really beautiful singing this song. I love how soft and subtle it is - and how vulnerable she is here too. One of my favorite parts is the first pre-chorus and chorus where she sings:

I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

I love how the tempo of the song picks up and the power she brings to the song as it progresses, especially the part where she belts out singing:

I went to the doctor, guess what he told me
Guess what he told me
He said, "Girl you better try to have fun, no matter what you do"
But he's a fool
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares to you

I don't know if I'm totally off base or am I spot on, but I feel like "Nothing Compares 2 U" could be the obvious/runaway winner this round. Or maybe it won't be obvious and it could be a close race for the top spot. But I feel like this is a song that everyone loves, really likes or appreciate and I can see (nearly) everone ranking this song high. While I do love my Top 3 more, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing this song pull off the win.

STEVEN

Definitely one of the most memorable 90s songs. This is a song that captures your attention right as it begins. She sings this song beautifully, and she really emotes the lyrics well too. 

1. I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT – WHITNEY HOUSTON

d4f65cabe2845e900e97cdbc9444981f.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

RICHARD: 1

STEVEN: 1

AKSHAR: 3

GIGI: 3

ERIK: 4

NICO: 5

LILY: 6

ALEX: 8

CHRIS: 8

WALLACE: 8

TOM: 9

QK: 10

RICHARD

This is really the only song here that I think marries excellent composition and vocals with a good hook, and for that reason, I’m placing it first. Whitney was definitely one of a kind.

STEVEN

I was already planning on advancing "I'm Your Baby Tonight" for the 1991 round, so it was a pleasant surprise to see Wallace advance it for this first round. I really like this song, and it may even be my favorite Whitney Houston song too. There are few other songs that could be contenders for the very top spot for me, but "I'm Your Baby Tonight" is definitely up there. I like how upbeat it is, and it always makes for an enjoyable listen. :bobo: Whitney Houston sounds amazing too. This is a very challenging song to sing, but Whitney nails it while making it look so easy. I'm thrilled to see "I'm Your Baby Tonight" win this first round.

WALLACE

whitneyhouston-imyourbabytonight.gif

As we all know, Whitney Houston has had so many iconic and memorable songs throughout her career. "I'm Your Baby Tonight" is a great song though I have no idea where it ranks amongst my favorite songs from her. Maybe we should have a discography game round in her own so I can figure that out. :whistling: I do really like/love it but wouldn't consider it one of my very favorites from her. But I do love how fun and upbeat this song is. It has that fun, sultry feel to it and it just has such a good sound to it. :bobo: The pre-chorus and chorus in particular is really fun and catchy. Ireally love those parts of the song!

I can do, I can do anything for you baby
I'll be down for you baby
Lay all my cards out tonight
Just call on me baby
I'll be there in a hurry
It's your move so baby, baby decide 

Whatever you want from me
I'm giving you everything
I'm your baby tonight
You've given me ecstasy
You are my fantasy
I'm your baby tonight

:bobo: 

I also really love the fast singing/almost rapping like verse she does, which I believe is the bridge. That's another fun part! :bobo: I never saw the music video in full (saw parts of it before this) but it was a really fun watch! I expect this song to do well although I'm not sure how well it will do but can't wait to see how it does.

4. Aww Mariah's "Vision of Love" was my favorite of this Top 4, so it's disappointing to see it come out first. :( But I'm also glad that it made it to the Top 4 as I wasn't even sure if that would happen. But then I also thought it would make it around this area, or at least hopeful for it. Agree with a lot of Steven's comments here. 

3. I'm not too surprised with "Black Velvet" doing well here. I didn't expect it to make it all the way to 3rd... and yeah, a little high for me, but I also felt this would be really well liked amongst us all. Wow it's so interesting and funny seeing all of the ranks from #3 to #9, except for Steven's #12. lol like Richard, also had no idea this song was about Elvis and I don't really get it? lol. 

2. lmao well oh, here I thought "Nothing Compares 2 U" had it in the bag and was going to win it all.... but then it doesn't.  I'm definitely shocked by this, lol. :ph34rwave: I did expect this to have a lot of #1 rankings and 9 Top 5 rankings is also really impressive. But I also thought this song would have had all of its ranks in the Top 10 or close to it, so I was wrong there lol. 

1. Oooh and lmao I didn't expect "I'm Your Baby Tonight" to win it but congrats to it! :haha: I wish I had looked onto the future Billboard 1990 hot 100 lists because yeah I had no idea it made the 1991 list at all.  :lmao: But oh I'm responsible for putting this through initally and then to see it win. I'm not sure how to react there/ :haha: But it's still a great, fun upbeat song with a strong and great vocal behind it. I don't normally think of this song right away with Whitney's discography but it's still great stuff. Love all of the comments for this one. And ahh ok this is the song that managed to get all Top 10 ranks, which is incredible and so rare. :omg:

#16 Vision of Love - Mariah Carey

Mariah's famous five octave range is barely even used here, but it's still the only thing saving this song from the bottom.

#14 Black Velvet - Alannah Myles

If you asked me way back then, I might've told you this was my least favorite song of the year. It's not quite that bad. Alannah's voice does sound awfully depressing though.

#18 Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

It may be a slow song, but it's very haunting and beautiful.

#11 I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston's songs are all very memorable, and this is a fine example. This is my #1 prediction.

ROUND 2

ab67616d0000b2735bf2dd698573f71e6fc2f6dc

It's time for the second round!

RANKERS

Akshar

Alex

Chris

Corey

Derek

Elliott

Erik

Gigi

Lily

Nico

QK

Richard

Steven

Tom

Wallace

The first step is for everyone to ADVANCE FOUR SONGS to the next round. 

You don't have to post all four of your picks at once as long as you post them before the deadline.

Here's the Billboard Year-End list for 1991 as a guideline, but you can pick songs not listed if it qualifies for this round.

You must post your four picks in 48 hours. 

Please post ASAP.

@jarmon @Alex95 @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @Elliott @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @QueenKalie @rdhaley96 @~Tom~ @*Wallace

Edited by Steven_

• Steven_ changed the title to Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (1991 Round)

"Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"    C+C Music Factory

"Good Vibrations"    Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway

"Something to Talk About"    Bonnie Raitt

"I Touch Myself"    Divinyls

5 minutes ago, *Chris said:

"Where Does My Heart Beat Now" - Céline Dion

"Freedom! '90" - Georgie Michael

''She's In Love With A Boy'' - Trisha Yearwood

Will need a fourth one. 

How about something reggae?

11 minutes ago, *Chris said:

"Where Does My Heart Beat Now" - Céline Dion