The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

6 hours ago, nytsch said:

Now I want to know who you thought mine was too lol

(The other answer I considered, I guess just based on audition because I haven't really checked outside videos was Alexa)

I only really thought of it after y'all gave your answers lol.

Ig I just didn't see much general praise for Jacquie so was surprised to see her as am answer. Maybe I would have said Chechi or Nini for you lol.

2 hours ago, Misirlou said:

When it comes to tone, does everyone prefer a clear, clean one, or a raspy, rocky one? Like, take for example, grunge singers (90s Seattle scene), Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, how would y'all think of them if they were contestants on the show, just focusing on their tone?

I would suggest giving them a listen if you havent.

I tens to prefer a more dirtier sound with my singers, but I've also liked a lot of clean tones. I just think a lot of clean tones sound bland whereas I don't feel that way as often with grittier, raspy vocals.

I had to search up Scott Wieland and Eddie Vedder. I'm familiar with Layne.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I saw them on the show, especially if we're considering they wouldn't be singing grunge and their rock songs to choose from would be pretty limited. Just knowing the song catalogue of the voice, I'm not sure how much id enjoy them. It's hard to hear them in other genres and making a lasting impression on the blinds.

Now Chris Cornell is someone I could see singing some soul songs and capturing my attention fairly easily, I feel like his voice is the most versatile and "mainstream" sounding of the four.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I only really thought of it after y'all gave your answers lol.

Ig I just didn't see much general praise for Jacquie so was surprised to see her as am answer. Maybe I would have said Chechi or Nini for you lol.

I liked her BA but didn't think much of it at the time. She was spectacular in that battle though.

Also after rewatching her I think she's really good even in the non gritty parts, that's just what gets people's attention but even in the first half of the battle I thought she was killing it.

I was checking out S14´s battles, and as much hate as the one got (live shows were rough, I do remember), it had some fantastic battles. 

For instance, I rewatched this one, and with an unconventional song choice for both, I happen to like it more than any battle this season so far. And it´s not even on my T5 of S14.

On 10/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, Misirlou said:

I was checking out S14´s battles, and as much hate as the one got (live shows were rough, I do remember), it had some fantastic battles. 

For instance, I rewatched this one, and with an unconventional song choice for both, I happen to like it more than any battle this season so far. And it´s not even on my T5 of S14.

who is it? video not available for me

What are the performances that have grown/shrunk on you this season? Personally, I’ve really come around to Lila and RUDI’s auditions as compared to when I first heard them. For shrunk I think I’d have to say Huntley, but not by much. I wouldn’t put him in my Top 5 anymore though. Also, JaRae and Caleb :ph34rwave:

Edited by FloorWax

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

What are the performances that have grown/shrunk on you this season? Personally, I’ve really come around to Lila and RUDI’s auditions as compared to when I first heard them. For shrunk I think I’d have to say Huntley, but not by much. I wouldn’t put him in my Top 5 anymore though. Also, JaRae and Caleb :ph34rwave:

i haven’t watched her battle yet but i thought that RUDIs runs were very excessive in her audition and someone commented the same for her battle.

i also noticed this with Joanna Serenko, but it seemed like people weren’t bothered by this in either case

curious why y’all think that’s the case? i feel like with MaKenzie it makes sense bc she integrated her runs well into her performance but with the other two (for Joanna i’m thinking of her KO), it just felt like the runs were there just to be there and detracted from the vocal and general performance 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

i haven’t watched her battle yet but i thought that RUDIs runs were very excessive in her audition and someone commented the same for her battle.

i also noticed this with Joanna Serenko, but it seemed like people weren’t bothered by this in either case

curious why y’all think that’s the case? i feel like with MaKenzie it makes sense bc she integrated her runs well into her performance but with the other two (for Joanna i’m thinking of her KO), it just felt like the runs were there just to be there and detracted from the vocal and general performance 

honestly i think it all just comes down to “do I like what i’m hearing?” there’s no use trying to come up with a criteria for what is and isn’t considered too many runs because at the end of the day, some people will enjoy it and others won’t, no matter what.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Ephraim's BA has grown on me. Dude has a really cool voice that I feel worked with the song.

Julia vs Olivia shrunk on me after the night it aired. I still like their tones, but it's clear they are green. I actually understand the whole "if kids are competing against adults, they should match them" mentality here.

• Like 2

I think this might be unpopular but my favorite battle by a lot I think is CORii vs. Ms. Monet on "New Attitude" 

The instrumentals are so fun and catchy, and I loved CORii's stage presence and facial expressions in particular, but of course Ms. Monet was great on that. Additionally, they both had some really impressive vocals. Obviously, Ms. Monet stands out, but CORii had really impressively long notes, powerful belts, and some really really nice runs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

I think this might be unpopular but my favorite battle by a lot I think is CORii vs. Ms. Monet on "New Attitude" 

The instrumentals are so fun and catchy, and I loved CORii's stage presence and facial expressions in particular, but of course Ms. Monet was great on that. Additionally, they both had some really impressive vocals. Obviously, Ms. Monet stands out, but CORii had really impressively long notes, powerful belts, and some really really nice runs

They slayed it honestly I would’ve thought IDF would be more positive on this

Corii deserved those steals, she did a great job keeping up with the energy and vocals. Sure it was a little messy (or you could even argue a lot) but isn’t that the fun of the battles sometimes? As long as they’re good technically which I think they were I’m fine with it.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:07 AM, FloorWax said:

Azan's audition is one of my most replayed. When it first aired I didn't think much of it, even though ik it was good.

And Mac Royals to a lesser extent.

As for who has shrunk, probably Mara's audition. I still really like it and she has one of my favourite tones, but she's on the bottom end of my top 10 auditions.

Edited by Hsamid

27 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Natalie Weiss reacts to the S24 Blind Auditions from episodes 1 to 3.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzExpIwJMne/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

She used to do this from s18 to s21 but didn't do the past 2 seasons... someone must have told her about those blinds, lol.

her reaction to rubys audition is honestly iconic lmao

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Natalie Weiss reacts to the S24 Blind Auditions from episodes 1 to 3.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzExpIwJMne/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

She used to do this from s18 to s21 but didn't do the past 2 seasons... someone must have told her about those blinds, lol.

She actually made it all the way to Lila before the video stopped lol.

The look on her face during Ruby’s audition 😭 She was dumbfounded.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

She actually made it all the way to Lila before the video stopped lol.

The look on her face during Ruby’s audition 😭 She was dumbfounded.

She seemed the most impressed by her... And Deejay. I feel validated 😛

I was thinking abt Dan + Shay joining "The Voice'", so I wanted to see if they've done stuff with any other former/current coach. One VERY familiar former coach introduces a performance by one not-nearly-as-exciting former coach and future coach(es).