American Idol Season 21 Episode #3 - Fave Auditions Poll

StarWalker1

Who was your favorite from tonight's episode?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite from tonight's episode?

• Sara Beth - You Know I'm No Good/Benny And The Jetts
    • Tanner Charles - Golden Eyes
    • Adin Boyer - Predicament
    • We Ani McDonald - Anyone
    • MaryBeth Byrd - If It Hadn't Been For Love
    • Olivia Soli - Hello
    • Preston Duffee - Something To Write About
    • Emma Busse - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    • Keelin - Don't Call Me
    • Elijah McCormik - God Bless The Broken Road

Just now, QueenKalie said:

My top 3 was Marybeth, Olivia and Elijah but We was good too. Also curious to see if they can mold Emma into something good or not.

I hope so too! She's got huge potential, she just needs to find herself and sort of "unravel" some of the broadway aspects that may be a hinderance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

NOT ALL MUSICIAINS FROM THEATER OR MUSIC SCHOOL BACKGROUNDS SUCK. 💔

Sorry but if I had a nickel for the amount of times Idol has made fun of Broadway, and theater kids... GRR.

Especially since some of Idol's best performances involve theater/music backgrounds lol

• Thanks 1

The types of singers who typically get criticized for having "theatrical" voices either have a heavy vibrato or a more nasal, bright tone. Some tend to do an excessive amount of runs. The judges could be more specific with their critiques and make those comments instead of generalizing it as "NOOOOO, THEATER = BAD" They got close with what they did with Emma tonight, but the montage before proved otherwise.

It's kinda ironic because Kaylin has an EXTREME theater background (and you can hear it in her voice), but they didn't call her theatrical at all AND they gave her the platinum ticket 💀 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, m1key said:

The types of singers who typically get criticized for having "theatrical" voices either have a heavy vibrato or a more nasal, bright tone. Some tend to do an excessive amount of runs. The judges could be more specific with their critiques and make those comments instead of generalizing it as "NOOOOO, THEATER = BAD" They got close with what they did with Emma tonight, but the montage before proved otherwise.

It's kinda ironic because Kaylin has an EXTREME theater background (and you can hear it in her voice), but they didn't call her theatrical at all AND they gave her the platinum ticket 💀 

This^

I guess the extra-ness is what can be off putting, but like the way the judges explained/approached it was odd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Also, I think I would've loved We much more if she had sung something else. I really love her tone, so I hope she gets it right with the song choices.

I think she'll get very diverse with her choices in the later rounds, she's got a strong sense of musicality to her

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StarWalker1 said:

I think she'll get very diverse with her choices in the later rounds, she's got a strong sense of musicality to her

I liked the beginning of her performance, but was not crazy about the second half.

Btw, I really like her. No More Drama was my fav KO of s11.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Also, I think I would've loved We much more if she had sung something else. I really love her tone, so I hope she gets it right with the song choices.

I was hesitant about the choice too because that song can get excessive or "screechy" with vocals. I thought she did a good job of avoiding that while still keeping it strong and emotionally connected. There was one run at the end where it got close for me, when she went way up high, so I can kinda see what you're saying about the second half. But I think she will definitely mix it up, for an audition it makes sense to do a big song to show off your vocals.

• Like 2

Also, I should really watch all of these now that I'm following the Voice alums, but I'm waiting for a song choice that really excites me - only YKING is really sticking out here

Are Tanner and Adin originals?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nytsch said:

Also, I should really watch all of these now that I'm following the Voice alums, but I'm waiting for a song choice that really excites me - only YKING is really sticking out here

Are Tanner and Adin originals?

not 100% sure but i think Tanner's is an original for his girlfriend and Adin's is an original about his experience with an auditory processing disorder (?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 Olivia

2 We

3 Keelin

4 Elijah

• Like 1

Here's my rankings of the 10 whose performances we can vote on:

1.  Olivia -- wow.  She took Lionel's song and made it her own.

2.  Wé -- if Olivia wasn't in this audition, Wé would be in first.

3.  Elijah -- best of the male voices by a mile.

4.  Marybeth -- very enjoyable.  She's going to go far.

5.  Emma -- great voice but she needed to get rid of the vibrato to truly shine.

6.  Adin -- he was the second-best of the male voices.

7.  Preston -- fine songwriting skills but I've heard better voices than his.

8.  Tanner -- pleasant but he's going to be swallowed up in Hollywood.

9.  Sara Beth -- not as good as Haley with "Bennie and the Jets", but good enough for Hollywood.

10.  Keelin -- very fun but I think that she has the least potential of those who went to Hollywood.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:29 AM, m1key said:

Agree, and many from this show have theater backgrounds and gave phenomenal performances, including Michael J. Woodard (he did incredible with Maybe This Time). Everywhere else in the entertainment industry like acting, people with theater/Broadway/West End backgrounds are highly respected. I saw people commenting on Youtube that Emma probably cried afterwards from the judges telling her to change herself, and I thought the same thing. I agree with Clark Beckham in his Idol review podcast that her vibrato is fine. The "theater = bad" angle is definitely generalizing like you mentioned. Even though this competition is more for finding pop/country/R&B voices, they can be more open towards other types of music.

• Like 1