How do you feel about rasp in contestants?

Misirlou

How do you feel about rasp in contestants?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Choose:

• I love it. I want them to use it as much as possible.
    • I like it, but I'd say save it for specific moments.
    • I hate it. I prefer clear tones in general.

Just something I thought about, and I want to see the consensus. 

It obviously depends on the contestant. Some may have a rasp you find appealing, others may not. You can leave examples of contestants when you answer.

Edited by Misirlou

It really depends on the contestant and the genre. Samuel Harness for example had a raspy voice that I liked, and it fit his alternative rock style. Corey Ward also had a raspy style that worked. If a contestant does have a rasp though, I don’t want it to be only rasp, and with these contestants there was more to their voices than just a rasp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

It is honestly dependent on the contestant and the song choice. Shadale is an example of someone who made good use of her rasp though. 

Shadale had immaculate control , she hit high notes with and without rasp and I like how she knows when to use the rasp , they are always perfectly placed imo.

I’ve enjoyed artists who don’t have much, if any, natural rasp in their voices (Chloé Hogan, David Vogel, and Libianca are good examples of this) but I also dig contestants with rasp fairly often (see: Dana Monique, Sid Kingsley, and Samuel Harness).

I ended up voting for option 2, since knowing how/when to use rasp can really add dynamics and make a performance connect with the audience if it’s used to convey emotions, but I acknowledge it’s not something every contestant can do either because they just don’t have rasp in their vocal toolkit or because their voice is naturally very raspy.

As long as the artist does what works for their voice + is taking care of their vocal health, the amount of raspiness they have isn’t really a dealbreaker for me.

It depends on the singer imo. I don’t like it if it’s too forced and/or used too often. It needs to be used in the right places. With all of this, I picked option 2.

I really dig some of Samuel’s covers and performances, but I also love David’s covers and performances and JADN’s originals. Samuel has a ton of rasp whereas David doesn’t have much at all. I think singers should try to sing naturally.

I generally prefer clearer tones (twangy is fine too), but I have enjoyed contestants with some rasp before. I'm probably just a bit more picky with how they use it (probs can't take too much) and they may have a little more of an uphill climb for me to really like them. With that said, contestants should just sing how their voices are and sometimes that's just not my cup of tea and that's okay 🙂