Marvel Cinematic Universe Rankdown (Winner Reveal, Page 76)

Solaris

Just now, Steven_ said:

Anyone strongly object to an Iron Man cut? He's my least favorite from my group of assigned characters, but I'm thinking that might be too controversial of a cut? :ph34rwave: If so, I guess Vision will be my third cut. But I'll cut Iron Man if no one objects.

Based on my conversations with Zoey, she would.

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Anyone strongly object to an Iron Man cut? He's my least favorite from my group of assigned characters, but I'm thinking that might be too controversial of a cut? :ph34rwave: If so, I guess Vision will be my third cut. But I'll cut Iron Man if no one objects.

Vision would definitely be the safer cut.

Nakia

nakia.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500&dpr=

No one requested safety for her and she's not someone I am overly passionate about so I guess its her time to go now. Nakia is a member of the War Dogs and T'Challa's lover, who was often sent on missions around the world, witnessing the hardships experienced by many people and growing the belief that Wakanda should actively help them. She was pulled out of an assignment to attend the Incoronation of T'Challa and took part in a mission in order to arrest the criminal Ulysses Klaue. Following their failure to apprehend him, Nakia exiled herself when Erik Killmonger took the throne of Wakanda. She reunited with T'Challa in Jabari Land and assisted him in reclaiming the throne from Killmonger. As T'Challa decided to open Wakanda to the rest of the world, Nakia would oversee the humanitarian policy of Wakanda. Black Panther is a cool enough movie but I have to cut 3 people and I have 4 options to choose from so this is the easiest cut out of the 4. 

J.A.R.V.I.S. / VISION

wandavision-vision.gif

I do like Vision as a character, and I really had no plans to eliminate him from this rankdown. However, due to the way this round's twist played out, he ends up being my third cut of the round. We first met Vision in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Well, I guess we actually first met him as Tony Stark's A.I. J.A.R.V.I.S. But thanks to the power of the Mind Stone, he was brought to life. He agreed to join the Avengers to protect the Earth. His first scene was pretty memorable due to the fact that he was able to easily lift Thor's hammer Mjölnir. Vision is pretty powerful with superhuman strength, the power of flight, body manipulation, and energy blasts. His time spent as a computer gives him superhuman intelligence too. Vision gets more human emotional traits when he bonds with Wanda, and the two of them eventually fall in love. But when Vision was on Team Iron Man in Civil War, his love interest Wanda fought against him to escape the compound. Vision was instrumental in Infinity War, and Wanda even had to kill him herself to prevent Thanos from collecting the Mind Stone. Their efforts failed though as Thanos was able to get his way with the Time Stone. Anyway, after Vision's death, Wanda has a meltdown that sets the events of the series WandaVision. We got to see more of Paul Bettany's comedic chops on WandaVision. Vision is a very straightforward and serious character throughout the films, but we get some funny sequences in the show. Vision was a well-meaning character throughout the films, but I can't say I really cared for him until WandaVision. I ended up liking him more after watching the series. If you haven't seen WandaVision yet, I recommend it. It's easily the best of the Disney+ MCU shows. Anyway, sorry to Vision and any fans, but we are nearing the end of the rankdown. There are a lot of great characters remaining to make a good final group, and I think we'll be okay without Vision there.

Maria Hill 

Colbie-Smulders-as-Maria-Hill.jpg?q=50&f

Steven was smart to reach out to me because Korg would have been an easy cut from my group but since I made a deal with him he is spared. Maria Hill is played by Cobie Smulders who I obviously know because she plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother. I was excited to see her join the  MCU and I do like her character enough. But with limited choices she isn't the hardest cut in the world because her character isn't that huge in the grand scheme of things. She was the former director of S.H.I.E.L.D and she also worked for Stark for awhile.  But Rip Cobie now I guess. 

1 hour ago, Steven_ said:

I would have raged. :dead:

Ying Nan

life's a drag — Marvel continuing the trend of hot aunts with Nan...

If we're surprised Katy is still in the game, then we must be absolutely FLOORED that Nan lasted this long. I know I am. She was cool. I like her razor leaf attack lol. She shows up in the back half of the movie as the surprise Aunt of Shang Chi who lives in a secret village guarding the big hellgates or whatever it is. She gives some advice to Shang Chi and his sister. She adds some reactions here and there. She manages to survive the final battle. But that's pretty much it. You guys watched this movie, right? There wasn't a whole lot going on with this character besides being played by the iconic Michelle Yeoh. Drax and Mantis out while this lady just coasts by, smh.

Xu Xialing

ETERNALS (2021) — If my dad wasn't going to let me into his empire,...

Xialing is Shang-Chi's sister. She is trained to use that rope dart thing that makes me think of the meteor hammer from Kill Bill. She is a great fighter and started her own fight club, and at the end of the movie she takes over the Ten Rings organization from her father. I have mixed feelings on Xialing. I feel like her character was mismanaged in the film. She was there to make Shang-Chi feel extra bad about abandoning his life in China and was there to have the extra pendant. But besides that she didn't really do much? The father with the 10 rings completely ignored her the entire time and had his entire storyline be focused on the son's relationship. Which makes sense for the father's character of course, but he didn't even interact with her at all. It was weird to me. She also was kind of just there for the final battle. She jumps on the dragon at the end but then it's just Katy who does the important thing with the bow & arrow and Xialing is just flying around for no reason. At the end of the movie when she takes over control of the Ten Rings organization I felt like, okay, this character is going to go somewhere now. But that was the end. I feel like they never let her have any impactful one-on-one scenes with any other character. Every time it seemed like she was going to actually have a moment to emote or get more depth (like with Katy or her aunt) they ended the scene quickly.

Captain Marvel

On Fire GIF by Marvel Studios

I went into this cycle fully intending to cut Billy. Give me a team of 9 people that I like and Billy would be an easy option. But instead I got all the Shang-Chi fodder and Captain Marvel?? I'm pretty sure I was the only one here who has ever nominated Captain Marvel so whoever put her on my team probably wants her gone but doesn't want the blame for the cut. And not a single soul reached out to me or expressed any concern for her this entire cycle lololol. With Hulk and Antman and Vision gone I feel like she's fair game. Also I'm still very sad about Drax and Mantis. In the Disney characters rankdown, the finals basically just had the main characters from a bunch of movies. And I definitely contributed to that. But maybe we will see some supporting characters in the Marvel finals! No one tell Megan about this. Anyway, Carol Susan Jane Danvers got magic powers after being zapped by the Tesseract. Her backstory with the Kree was always a bit confusing to me. The movie was fine. Her role in Endgame was pretty minor, IMO. She was in and out in the very end of the movie. I look forward to seeing her interact with the other Marvel characters more. So far it has been pretty minimal.

N'Jadaka/Erik "Killmonger" Stevens

NJadaka-Erik-Killmonger-Stevens.Black-Pa

Well after the safety requests that I granted that left with me limited options on what to cut. So while I wasn't originally going to cut Killmonger he is the unfortunate odd person out here. When Killmonger was a child, T'Chaka killed his father for trying to murder Zuri for outing him after betraying Wakanda. This drove Killmonger to dedicate his life to forcibly dethrone his cousin, T'Challa, in order to finally accomplish his father's plan to seize control of the world by using all of Wakanda's vibranium technology to cease the oppression of people of African descent all across the world. Manipulating and then killing Ulysses Klaue to gain his access to the city, Killmonger murdered Zuri and seemingly killed T'Challa during their ritual combat and claimed the throne. Shortly before Killmonger unleashed his plans, T'Challa, the Black Panther, returned and challenged Killmonger, eventually defeating and killing him during their final battle. Black Panther was a cool movie but I got stuck having to cut 2 from this movie in this round so it is what it is I guess. 

Carl Lucas/Lucas Cage

LukeCage_1-1475091910.gif?quality=.8&hei

Okay, this cut this hurt a little because I didn't even realize who I was cutting because Luke Cage was listed under Carl Lucas and I didn't realize upon doing my write-up that I was cutting Lucas Cage. Ugh. This cut doesn't give me another pleasure. Jessica Jones and Daredevil will have to carry on the mantle for The Defenders. Carl Lucas, also known as Luke Cage and Power Man. Lucas was a cop wrongly accused of a crime and sent to prison at Seagate. He has the unbreakable skin and super strength. He was reluctant hero in stopping the likes of Cottonmouth Stokes, his half-brother, Diamondback, and Bushmaster. Luke Cage ran on Netflix for 2 seasons and they are now Disney+.