Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Inland Empire (2006)

Inpos.jpg

A pretentious movie with Laura Dern and Jeremy Irons???? On first glance you would think that this is right up my alley. Unfortunately I have not yet drunk the David Lynch Kool-Aid. I've seen Twin Peaks and... well if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. Also, this movie is about an actress auditioning for and filming a movie, and I usually roll my eyes a little when actors are in movies playing actors. Critics either loved or hated this, which affected the overall average review scores of it. As is typical with David Lynch, this is a surrealist film and wikipedia calls it "experimental." Apparently Laura does a really great job, but the Academy still refused to nominate her for her performance. 

Save Revanche

cadillac-records-5aad74ac3aae2.png

tumblr_ls5nwtXLWc1qimturo1_500.gif

Cadillac Records is a biographical film that revolves around Leonard Chess who was the executive of Chess Records, a record label that had signed some of the biggest name in the R&B and blues music scene.  The film features Adrien Brody as Leonard Chess, while other actors portrays artists that were involved with Chess Records - Cedric the Entertainer portrayed Willie Dixon, Mos Def portrayed Chuck Berry, and Beyonce portrayed Etta James.  The film didn't really leave much of a mark during its release, and I'd argue that if you want to see Beyonce in a movie where she sings to watch Dreamgirls instead... I've never seen the movie but I do know that Beyonce covered some songs by Etta James & to no one surprises, she completely nailed them:

SAVE: AN EDUCATION

Days of Glory

Sorry for holding up the game I went to Fremont street in Vegas! Anyway I am left with 2 films so for today's cut it is a pretty easy choice because I love Sandra Bullock so that means we say goodbye to the film Days of glory. Reminds me of the Lady Gaga song lol. Never heard of this film before this moment so I think it's a fair cut compared to Crash which is a film most people have seen. Atleast I have anyway, this movie is a film about world War 2 which I have no interest in regardless so not too torn up here. 

Saving Crash

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Next)

The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003)

TheLizziemcguiremovie.jpg

Lizzie McGuire was an insanely popular and successful TV show on the Disney Channel in the early 00s. I'm kind of in shock that there were only 2 seasons of the show. This film served as the series finale of the TV show, and was "first theatrical film based on a Disney Channel series." I remember boycotting this movie because Lalaine was not in the cast. What is the point of having a series finale if all the main characters from the show are not present???? Another good reason for young Derek to not watch this is because in the end, the white boy nice guy sidekick character gets the girl in the end. Not a good influence. The plot is kind of random. They take a school trip to Rome. A typical excuse to do a European location in a teen series. Also suddenly she's singing and dancing and performing, which felt a lot more "Hilary Duff" than it did "Lizzie McGuire," but I digress

Hilary Duff Dress Reveal GIF - Hilary Duff Dress Reveal Lizzie Mc Guire -  Discover & Share GIFs

Save Remember the Titans

Edited by FrogLenzen
  • Sad 2

BABY MAMA (2008)

MV5BMTYwNTc1Nzk1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE4OTI2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Baby Mama is a film I know of, but I never got around to seeing. I like both Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but this particular film didn’t appeal to me based on the trailers. The humor just seemed too silly. Tina Fey plays a single, serious, and organized woman ready to have a baby, and she hires Amy Poehler’s character as a surrogate. The surrogate is the total opposite of Tina Fey’s character. She’s very wacky, and the situation becomes complicated after she asks to move in. Can the two women find a way to get along? Even though I like both lead actresses, it seems like the whole movie is just Amy Poehler’s character annoying Tina Fey’s character. Maybe I’m wrong and there’s more to the film. As for what the critics thought, Baby Mama has a 63% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Baby Mama is a lightweight, predictable comedy that ekes by on the strength of its performers."

Saving The Aviator.

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Posted)

Ghost World

I could make a case to cut any of these movies. I guess I will cut Ghost World because it has Scarlett Johansson as Rebecca Doppelmeyer in it so I think that will put this movie up the edge against the others and my choice to cut. Ghost World was released in 2011 and is a comedy film. It has a  93 percent on rotten tomatoes which is quite high for this movie I think. It wasn't that good. The film also stars Thora Birch who I have no idea who that is and actor Steve Buscemi. Ghost World's commercial success was minimal actually and quite the flop hense why I am shocked it has such a high review lol.

Saving Wendy and Lucy

LOVE & BASKETBALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur83i6_BjbE

Released in 2000, Love & Basketball is a romantic sports drama film. It was written and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, making her feature film directorial debut, and stars Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps. The film was notably produced by Spike Lee and Sam Kit. The film's essential plot boils down to Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps' respective characters attempting to pursue their basketball careers while falling in love with one another. Who ever saw that coming? The film was received positively critically, but underperformed at the box office - grossing only $28 million against its $20 million budget. In the years sense, the film has become a cult classic due to its pop culture references over the years.

SAVE: Rush Hour 2

• Sad 1

irreversible-507b13324b598.png

irreversible-5-565x200.jpeg

Never seen any of the two films remaining so I decided to save the one that I would be more interested in seeing, and therefore, I am cutting Irréversible. This french film was released in 2002, and it stars Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel and Albert Dupontel.  Considering a psychological thriller, it follows the events that comes out of a tragic night in Paris where two men attempt to avenge the brutal rape and beating of a woman they love - I watched the thriller, in hopes, that there was some dialogue to translate without relying on Wikipedia, but there was no one and the trailer looks quite intense.  What makes the movie special was its continuous shot as well as the fact that the story was told in a reverse order hence the name of the film. Upon its release, the film was met with lots of criticism regarding the portrayal of the violence and rape in the film - Roger Ebert even called it unwatchable due to the movie being violent and cruel... All of this being said, I certainly wouldn't be interested in this film so I am fine with the fact that I am cutting it. 

SAVING: MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS

Edited by *Chris

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Next)