Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Cycle 15 - Never Nominees Pt. 2

1*WGQbPEWoRhzUGOUsPlWBwA.png

Everyone loves a good sequel, so we're bringing back the never nominees cycle back with a twist! After days of scrolling through this thread As you can see on the front page, your previously nominated films that are still in this game are below your name! You will not be able to nominate any of them for the duration of the cycle. You can nominate other people's previous nominees if you'd like, but none of your own. When it's your turn, you will nominate 10 never nominees for you, and everyone else will cut and save as per usual. Films are now able to be nominated two rounds in a row as long as it meets the criteria. The only immune films are those you have nominated in the past for this game. Your private nominations during the original battle round will remain private and can be nominated again by you if you wish.

Nominating Order:

U60ldFY.png

RauxPnV.png

Looks like @FrogLenzen will start the cycle off with his nominations!

@Elliott @~Tom~ @*Chris @*Diana @Steven_

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Cycle 15 Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Wow, it feels like forever since I wrote a write up in this rankdown. But here we are, so goodbye to Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Vicky Cristina Barcelona  was released in 2008 and received a decent 80 percent on rotten tomatoes. Woody Allen directed this so I will cut it on principle. On top of that, this is a film I have no interest it. I do like Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem but not enough to save this movie. It also stars Scarlett Johansson  which I am BEC with her for some reason so now I really don't feel bad about this cut with her in it and the director.

Saving: Definitely, Maybe

48 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

And if hadn't noticed, Victoria's previous nominees are carrying over to Tom as well. So he can't nominate anything she's nominated.

I was wondering what some of those nominees under my name were doing there. :dead: 

• Haha 1

Jumper

p173063_p_v8_az.jpg

A film starring Hayden Christensen (meh) and with a 15% rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Goodbye. Jumper is a American science fiction and action film released in 2008 and directed by Doug Liman. It is loosely based on the 1993 novel of the same name by Steven Gould. The film's premise is a young man (played by Christensen) called David Rice capable of "jumping", or teleporting, as he is chased by a secret society intent on killing him. He lives lavishly on stolen money acquired from bank vaults by using his superability. I think I've heard of this move before but it's not something I've wached and it won't be high on my watchlist, so bye from this rankdown. 

Save: Disturbia

DEFIANCE (2008)

33155484_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Defiance is a war film starring Daniel Craig. This film focuses on the German occupation of Byelorussia during World War II, which led to the deaths of 1.6 million civilians. Daniel plays one of three brothers (the others played by Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell). While Nazi soldiers are killing Jewish people by the thousands, these three brothers manage to escape and take refuge inside a forest before taking action to avenge the deaths of their loved ones. As for what the critics thought, Defiance has a 59% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Professionally made but artistically uninspired, Ed Zwick's story of Jews surviving WWII in the Belarus forest lacks the emotional punch of the actual history." The film also met some criticisms over some historical inaccuracies. 

Saving Cadillac Records.

tumblr_n9gcajSI1C1rnigreo1_250.gif

70099610.jpg.webp

The Duchess is an historical drama film that was released in 2008 where it stars Keira Knightley in a role that's very typical of her - you've certainly seen her in similar roles in the past, Ralph Fiennes, Hayley Atwell, Charlotte Rampling, and Dominic Cooper.  You could say that it is an autobiographical film as it follows the life of Georgiana Cavendish who was known as Duchess of Devonshire - the film highlights her affair with Charles Grey but also her being a rape victim of William Cavendish, her husband , whom she was forced to marry at a young age, and she is pregnant with Willam's child.  The affair shook the London society, and she was blackmailed to end her affair with Charles Grey - future PM of England - with whom she will have a daughter, Eliza, who will be raised by Charles' family.   I've never seen the movie and while you might think that I'd enjoy it, I do tend to find Keira's movies to be a hit or miss for me so unsure if I would ever watch it but never say never.

Fun fact about Georgiana Cavendish is that she was an ancestor of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales.

SAVING: CHARLIE BARTLETT

JULIA

Released in 2008, Julia is a crime drama film staring Tilda Swinton and directed by Erick Zonca (who also co-wrote the film alongside Michael Collins and Aude Py). It was inspired by the John Cassavetes film Gloria, and was shot in California and Mexico. The films plot follows Tilda Swinton's character as she tries to extort money using a young boy as bait. The film received a positive response from critics, but It wasn't successful at the box office - earning only $1.2 million against its $6 million budget. Despite that, Tilda Swinton's performance earned her a nomination for Best Actress at the César Awards.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Balzac_and_the_Little_Chinese_Seamstress

A bunch of crime films here, some of which I mildly like but are't particularly attached to. While I have a moment, I'll cut the one with the longest title as is my custom when there are multiple films I don't really know. 

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is based on a semi-authographical novel of the same name. It was directed by Dai Sijie and starred Zhou Xun, Chen Kun and Liu Ye. It premiered at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival on May 16. The film is centered around two young Chinese boys during the Cultural Revolution of bourgeois background who are sent to a remote village in Sichuan province for three years of re-education. They both fall in love with a beautiful local girl called the Little Seamstress. They bond by reading banned books n the West, of which their favorite was Balzac. It was one of the lower Metacritic and RT scores of these noms so out it goes.

Save: Momento remake Insomnia

BROKEN FLOWERS (2005)

MV5BMzMwZDVhNzYtMWRmMi00NjljLTlkZWItM2FjZDUzYzIwMjAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Broken Flowers is a dramedy starring Bill Murray. He plays a man named Don who was a womanizer in his youth. After his girlfriend leaves him, he receives an anonymous letter informing him he has a 19-year-old son looking for him. He brushes this off, but he's encouraged to find out the truth by his neighbor (a mystery enthusiast). Don tracks down four of his former girlfriends that he believes could've sent the letter. In the end (spoiler alert) the film ends in an unresolved way. Don never meets his son, but the last scene is of Bill Murray spotting a young man in a car that happens to be played by Bill Murray's own son. Anyway, this doesn't sound like a film I'd be interested in seeing, especially knowing the ending now. As for what the critics thought, Broken Flowers has an 87% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Bill Murray's subtle and understated style complements director Jim Jarmusch's minimalist storytelling in this quirky, but deadpan comedy."

Saving Pride & Prejudice.

tumblr_mev44q5DmC1rhumgro1_500.gif