Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Stardust

Look at me it's Diana cutting a romantic movie, some would call that growth, some may call it shocking but I call it what it is, me cutting a bad movie lol. Anyway, done with the lame jokes and on to my cut. I have chosen to cut Stardust which was released in 2007. It has a 77 percent on rotten tomatoes which I think is super generous for this film. None of the characters/actors had much chemistry and the full movie was miserable to watch. I only watched it once and was bored to tears. I hate to say this about a Claire Danes film but I am just being honest. 

Saving Marley & Me

SHANGHAI KNIGHTS (2003)

MV5BNDc2MzZjODAtYTI3NC00OTBhLTk5NDAtOWIzYmFmZDJlOTA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA3MTU2MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Shanghai Knights is a martial arts action comedy film starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. It is the sequel to the 2000 film Shanghai Noon. The first film was set in the Wild West, but this film has the characters settle a score in London. Jackie Chan's character's father is murdered by a Chinese rebel, so Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson's characters travel to the UK to seek revenge. In addition, a plot to take out the Royal Family is also uncovered. After watching the trailer on YouTube, it doesn't look like a terrible movie. The martial arts sequences look cool, but the kind of humor often found in films starring Owen Wilson don't appeal to me. It's unlikely I'll seek this movie out to watch. Anyway, as far as what the critics thought, Shanghai Knights has a 66% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "A silly, anachronistic mess, but the pairing of Chan and Wilson makes the movie fun."

Saving Charlie's Angels.

iBNCRY.gif

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Posted)

Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_Poster.jpg

What is this film? Never heard of it (aside from the poster looing vaguely familiar) and I guess the other rankers aren't familiar with it either which is why it's survived this long with a 35% RT score. In addition, it seems to have received a lot of negative feedback in China due to their relations with Japan at the time, even getting censored and banned there. Anyway, it's a 2005 American epic period drama film directed by Rob Marshall and adapted by Robin Swicord from a 1997 novel of the same name by Arthur Golden. It tells the story of Chiyo Sakamoto, a young Japanese girl, who is sold by her impoverished family to be a geisha (a Japanese performance artist) under the pseudonym "Sayuri Nitta" to support them. The film is centered around the hardships and challenges that geisha face.

Save: King Kong

Dan in Real Life (2007)

Dan in real life.jpg

You know, I'm starting to think that people who write for magazines and newspapers must have really movie-worthy lives. Steve Carell stars as a newspaper advice columnist! He is a widower. He meets someone for five minutes, flirts, and I'm assuming somehow convinces himself that she is The One and spends the whole movie pining for her. Even after discovering she is his brother's girlfriend. I'm not sure what message we are supposed to take away from this film. It sounds like a bleh rom com that just happens to follow a male lead instead of the usual female lead. I'm sure Steve is good in this, since he's a good actor. But this is not something I would ever subject myself to.

Save Marie Antoinette

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

Friday_night_lights_ver2.jpg

Friday Night Lights is a sports drama that was released in 2004. The film stars Billy Bob Thornton, Garrett Hedlund, Derek Luke, Jay Hernandez, Lucas Black and Tim McGraw (what an... interesting cast, lol). It was directed by Peter Berg, who co-wrote the film alongside David Aaron Cohen. The film was based off the book Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team and a Dream by H.G. Bissinger, and follows he story of a high school football team in 1988 as they make a run towards the state championship. It later inspired a television show of the same name that ran for five seasons - two on NBC, and three on DirectTV when they had their own network. Personally I never really got into the film, as is to be expected since there are very few sports-centric films I do dig (Varsity Blues excluded from this narrative). Also wasn't the director involved in some transgender controversy with regards to Caitlynn Jenner? At any rate, the film was a success critically and won the Best Sports Movie ESPY Award.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Next)

High Fidelity (2000)

High Fidelity poster.jpg

This film is based on a novel written in 1995. The novel has been adapted into this movie, a broadway musical, and a TV series. Apparently, this movie is pretty faithful to the novel, which is always an unusual surprise. I personally don't mind too much when a movie differs from a book as long as there is a thought-process behind the changes. I mean, films and books are completely different mediums and they just cannot translate exactly to each other. What are we talking about again? Oh yeah, this is a film starring John Cusack as the poster suggests. He plays a guy who gets dumped and then pines after his ex for a whole movie and doesn't end up getting back together with her in the end. Gag. Despite this movie's setting in a record store and being so much about music and the music industry, I am still not on board. This is no Once

Save Dancer in the Dark

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Posted)

lucy liu gun tw GIF

I’ve nominated this film in the past, I almost nominated it during my round but  I was unable to do so. And now, I am cutting it from the rankdown. The film was released in 2000 and it’s considering to be a comedy meet martial arts meet western meet action movie - wow, what a combo! It was the first in a series of film where it features Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson and Lucy Liu - I am responsible of cutting two of them in the actor rankdown so it’s only fitting that I am cutting the movie from this. It seems that the movie was well received but I can’t confirm nor deny as I have no attention of ever watching it so now it’s out of this rankdown.

SAVING : AMÉLIE 

Lilya 4-ever

Lilya_4-ever_poster.jpg

Some tough noms here, but Lilya 4-ever was the easiest cut to make. Lilya 4-ever is a 2002 crime drama film that was written and directed by Lukas Moodysson and released in Sweden on August 23, 2002. The film depicts the downward spiral of Lilja Michailova (played by Oksana Akinshina), a girl in the former Soviet Union whose mother abandons her to move to the United States. The movie's script was loosely based on the life of Danguolė Rasalaitė, a 16-year-old girl from Lithuania whose case made headlines in 2000 in Sweden. It examines the issue of human trafficking and sexual slavery. Lilya 4-ever received positive reviews both in Sweden and abroad, even winning five Guldbagge Awards including Best Film. It was also nominated for Best Film and Best Actress at the European Film Awards. 

Save: Donnie Darko