Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

CABIN FEVER (2002)

MV5BMTEwNTU3NzM2NDJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDY2ODcyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Cabin Fever is the only film remaining I haven't heard of. Wikipedia tells me that this is a horror film. The only name I recognize from the main cast is Rider Strong (Shawn Hunter from Boy Meets World). This film is about a group of college students renting a cabin in the woods for spring break. During their stay, they become victims to a flesh-eating virus. One of the friends mistakenly shoots a local man while hunting. He tries to keep it a secret, but the local infects the water supply after stumbling though the reservoir. He is also eventually killed, but the disease has spread among the friends. They try to stop the spread of the disease, but matters are made more difficult when locals who knew the man they killed seek revenge. From a story standpoint, this does seem like it could be an interesting movie. Will I ever seek this out to watch it? Most likely not. Horror movies just aren't my favorite. As for what the critics thought, Cabin Fever has a 62% approval rating. The consensus reads: "More gory than scary, Cabin Fever is satisfied with paying homage to genre conventions rather than reinventing them."

Saving Gladiator.

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_

SHAUN OF THE DEAD

Well these options sucked because I love both of these movies. :/ But I slightly prefer Battle Royale, so unfortunately I have to cut Shaun of the Dead here. For those unfamiliar, Shaun of the Dead is a British satire of zombie apocalypse films (evidenced by its name being a parody of the incredible Dawn of the Dead). It stars Simon Pegg and is the first of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy alongside Hot Fuzz and The Worlds End. Personally I wasn’t as crazy about the other two as I was this one, but given my taste in film, but I suppose that was to be expected. The film ended up being a surprise hit commercially and critically, as it made $30 million against a $6 million budget. Recent critiques of the film have cited it as a prime example of post-9/11 anxiety in film, and its international success has been pointed out as a prime example of transnational comedy.

SAVE: Battle Royale

• Sad 2

Candy (2006)

Candy (2006).jpg

Yes, I'm cutting one Heath Ledger film but I'm also saving a Heath Ledger film so it cancels out. Heath falls in love with Abbie and they do heroin together. Seriously, this movie is about a heroin couple. They look so happy in the poster! But things go south because they are on heroin. Kids, drugs are bad. Particularly drugs that you have to do intravenously. This mess spirals and there's an unsuccessful pregnancy just in case you didn't think it was depressing enough. You might be thinking... wow the only way for this movie to end would be for a depressing overdose by one or both of the lead characters. Well, I'm here to tell you that this movie may surprise you in the end. You'll have to watch it to find out!

Save Monster's Ball

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)
22 hours ago, *Chris said:

Leaving Tuesday evening and will be back on the 23rd or so ; Will probably try and drop by once a day but can’t guarantee anything. 

Okay do what you can no worries. I'll dm you asking if you need extensions, or you want us to just move on if you're falling behind.

The Beat My Heart Skipped

The_Beat_That_My_Heart_Skipped_poster.jp

The Beat My Heart Skipped is a 2005 French neo-noir drama film that was directed by Jacques Audiard and starred Romain Duris as Tom, who is a realtor involved in shady busness deals who is torn between a criminal life and his desire to become a concert pianist. Trying to go against the grain I see. It is a remake of the 1978 American film Fingers. The Beat My Heart Skipped premiered on February 17, 2005 at the Berlin Film Festival. The film was only given limited release to theaters in the US which explains why I've never heard of it. It devotes most of its attention to the relationship between Tom and his piano teacher, Miao Lin, and how affection can blossom depsite a language barrier. 

Save: The Dreamers.

Everlasting Moments (2008)

Here I am cutting a movie with 90 percent on rotten tomates so hopefully that won't upset anyone just on first place this is not the type of movie I'd watch ever so it makes for a pretty easy cut today. It was released in 2009 but I hadn't heard of it before now. 

It is based in Sweden and Everlasting Moments is based on the life of Maria Lawson (Maria Heiskanen), an immigrant from Finland who uses a camera she wins in a lottery to document her life. Maria works with her camera to support her children while tolerating  abuse from her alcoholic husband. 

I dealt with alcoholic family members growing up and it isn't soemthing I could enjoy watching so I am going to cut it now. 

Saving Blades of Glory

Edited by *Diana

MeAndOrsonWelles_TitleTreatment.png

tumblr_oxfakjmIt21ur0nm7o1_500.gif

All of the remaining films are good in their own way, well that's what the critics are saying... But as I've only seen one of them, which is the one that I'm saving, I must also cut one which ended up being Me and Orson Welles.  The movie was released in 2008, and it starred Zac Efron, Christian McKay and Claire Danes - I am actually surprised that I've never seen it or heard of it #oops.  A period drama film, it is inspired by the book of the same name - which I've heard of - and it takes place in New York in the year of 1937 where a teenager is hired to perform in a stage adaption of Julius Ceasar. In the meantime, the said teenager - I assume being played by Zac Efron - becomes attracted to the prodution assistant, whom I assume is being portrayed by Claire Danes.  Despite being an indepedent film, it was seen as one of the best of the year with Christian Mckay receiving praises for his portrayal of Welles.  But now, it finds the same fate as Julius Ceasar as I am eliminating it from this rankdown.

SAVING: THE CHORUS

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE

Released in 2000, Shadow of the Vampire is a meta-fiction horror-comedy film that essentially serves as a fictionalized retelling of the 1922 silent horror film Nosferatu, following its cast and crew as they begin to suspect their lead actor is an actual vampire. It stars John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe in a script by Steven Katz that was directed by Elisa Merhige. The film pays tribute to the original expressionist nature of German silent films, utilizing iris camera lenses and inter titles to explain things. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Make-Up, but lost to How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Willem Dafoe also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. The film was well received critically, with Willem Dafoe's performance being lauded and an 80% at Rotten Tomatoes. This definitely seems like a film I'll check out, but I recognized About Schmidt from my remaining choices. :haha:

SAVE: About Schmidt

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)