Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Cycle 12 - No Twists

TFP-Share-Preview.jpg

Sean Baker's The Florida Project was praised for simply being a slice of life movie without a plot twist. There was just a beginning, middle, and end as the audience watched the lives of these characters without having to react to shocking plot twists. For this round, you are simply nominating ten films as the other rankers cut and save one. No twists. Remember, the immune films from the beginning of the game can now be nominated! The only immune films are still films nominated in the previous round and the buyback choices.

Nom Order:

kz74npO.png

@FrogLenzen is up first to name his ten nominees!

@~Tom~ @*Chris @*Diana @Elliott @Steven_

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Cycle 12 Posted)

ELIZABETHTOWN (2005)

MV5BYmJkOTU0ZjEtYmRkNi00ODcwLTgwMDUtNjVjMTFjZGU2OWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Elizabethtown is described as a "romantic tragicomedy." It's not a straight up romcom due to themes surrounding death and suicide. Orlando Bloom plays the lead character, a man who contemplates killing himself after getting fired from his job. He postpones the suicide after learning of his father's death. He returns to his hometown Elizabethtown, Kentucky after receiving the news. He also enters into a relationship with Kirsten Dunst's character, whom he meets on a plane. For anyone unfamiliar with this bit of movie trivia, Kirsten Dunst's character in Elizabethtown is the film that inspired a film critic to coin the term "Manic Pixie Dream Girl." A Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a female character in a story that has no agency, no backstory, and simply exists to be the pretty and bubbly and oftentimes love interest for the male protagonist. Her only purpose is to make the more developed male character gain an appreciation for life and become happier by saving him from himself. There are many movies with characters like these. Anyway, as for what critics thought of this film, Elizabethtown has a 28% approval rating. The consensus reads: "this story of a floundering shoe designer who returns home for a family tragedy gets lost in undeveloped plot lines and lackluster performances."

Saving Ella Enchanted.

giphy.gif

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Lifeaquaticposter.jpg

This film keeps getting saved at the end of Derek's rounds as a default save, so I doub it would be any big loss if it finally got cut from the game. Let's find out what it is. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is an American comedy-drama film written by Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach and releaed in 2004. Wes Anderson directed the film also. Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou stars Bill Murray as Steve Zissou, an eccentric oceanographer who sets out to exact revenge on the "jaguar shark" that ate Esteban du Plantier, is best firend and diving partner. Zissou serves as a parody of and homage to French diving pioneer Jacques Cousteau; the film is dedicated to him. The film received mixed reviews from critics, has a 56% review on RT and was a bo-office flop, but like many films of the 2000s, has gained a cult following since.

Saving: The Machinist

I,_Robot_(film)_Logo.png

giphy.gif

Released in 2004, I, Robot is a science fiction and action film that stars Will Smith in the main role - that's truly all I know about the movie without having to read too much about it :haha:.  But it seems that the cast of the movie is more than just Will Smith as it includes Bridget Moynahan, Bruce Greenwood, James Cromwell, Chi McBride and Alan Tudyk.  The movie takes place in 2035 - this is like 13 years away from now, and there's highly intelligent robots everywhere that takes the place of public servant and operating under three rules to keep the humans safe. There's apparently a suicide of the founder and there need to be an investigation which is where Will Smith comes in.  The movie seems to be a hit at the box-office but not that much with audience as it received many mixed critics, and not it's out of the rankdown.

SAVING: CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN

Nanny McPhee

Nanny McPhee was released in 2006. The film stars Emma Thompson as Nanny McPhee. The film also stars Colin Firth and Angela Lansbury so yeah a lot of big names there. A cute quote to end the movie "When you need me, but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me, but no longer need me, then I have to go". Sounds like a Cliche parents like me would cry over if I ever actually watched this movie lol. Anyway the movie has a 73 percent on rotten tomates and is a bit average to most so I'll cut now.

Saving Ocean's Twelve

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)

Proof

proof.jpg

It's battle of the Jake Gyllenhaal movies, but I feel like Elliott would be more likely to save the one where, according to letterboxd reviews, Jake is dancing with just a Santa hat covering his dick. Proof stars Gwyneth Palrow as the daughter of Anthony Hopkins, a brilliant mathematician. Unfortunately, he develops some mental illness and begins to lose his mind. Goop and Jake begin to study Hopkins' journals to try to figure out what kind of mathematical breakthroughs he was on the verge of making. I'm watching the trailer and I keep thinking Goop is Claire Danes lol. Anyways, a movie about some people reading journals sounds boring as hell to me. The general consensus from the audience reviews seems to imply it's fine but nothing special. Without having seen it, that sounds completely accurate to me.

Save Jarhead

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Next)