Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott & Steven's Noms Posted)

Hallow Man

This film was released in August of 2000 and was not very good. It is not a film for me and to be frank for many as it's percent on rotten tomatoes is only 26 percent that makes for a fairly easy cut at this point in our game.The film stars Elizabeth Shue and Kevin Bacon. Hallow Man is an science fiction horror film directed by Paul Verhoeven. Knowing it's a horror film that means it is a easy cut for me to due I don't really feel attached to that type of film clearly based on previous cuts. No big loss here though.

Saving: Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

• Sad 1

Pay It Forward (2000)

Pay it forward ver1.jpg

This movie stars Kevin Spacey. Is that alone enough to justify a cut? Maybe not (but yes) but also there's not enough else here to warrant its safety. HJO's schoolteacher teaches him about the concept of paying it forward, which in this movie is a bit more than just paying for the starbucks order of the car in the drive-thru behind you. HJO swings big with his pay it forward idea and it doesn't immediately play out the way he expects. So instead he tries to pay it forward to the teacher and hook the teach up with his single mom. Yawn. Barf. As the movie progresses we learn that HJO's actions have set a very grand series of positive events in motion. Will the movie spend a lot of time trying to emotionally manipulate you with lame superficial feel-good oscar bait garbage? Will the two adults get together in the end? Will HJO then suddenly get stabbed to death as a result of his positive ideas and end the movie on a massive downer? The only way to find out for yourself is to watch this. But don't.

Save Breakfast on Pluto

delovely-5_668_330_80_int_s_c1.jpg

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that De-Lovely was able to make it, this far, in the rankdown considering it was not a major blockbuster or a movie that many people participating in the rankdown had seen, which is the main reason why I decided to cut it as I was at peace knowing that I dragged it as far as I could & I can give it a good write-up.  The movie in question was released in 2004 and its a musical biopic of Cole Porter's life - Cole Porter is known in the musical world as a composer and songwriter ; He worked on musicals such as Kiss Me Kate & Anything Goes, and he wrote songs such as ''Anything Goes'', ''I Get a Kick Out of You'', ''It's De-Lovely'', ''Let's Misbehave'', ''My Heart Belongs to Daddy'', and ''Too Darn Hot''. 

In this biopic, Cole Porter - played by Kevin Kline - is reliving his life in the form of musical during his last days.  In the said musical production, we are introduced to the night that he met his wife - portrayed by Ashley Judd, with whom he had an incredible bond with ; It certainly says a lot as she was aware of his homosexuality during the course of their marriage. They certainly had a rocky relationship but their love for each other was undeniable, and that was until her last breath.  In the movie, we also see some of his affairs as well as some collaboration with other musical greats.  

My favourite part of the movie is certainly the cameo of singers like Lara Fabian, Alanis Morrissette, Diana Krall, Robbie Williams, Sheryl Crow, and Elvis Costello.  Overall, the movie is a good one if you have an appreciation for musical theatre - I had only seen it after my partner recommended it to me.

SAVE : A MIGHTY HEART

Edited by *Chris

Miami Vice

edpaH5hmz6npsE3hAyz3FlZdRL4.jpg

I haven't seen either movie so I cut the one with the lower score. And it's been damn near a week and no one felt the need to jump in so clearly whocurr. Miami Vice was an iconic tv show from the 80's and this movie is an adaptation of the series starring Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell. Fun fact, both remaining movies starred Colin Farrell so there was no getting around me cutting him. The two men are detectives who go undercover to fight drug trafficking operations. As far as I can tell, it's you pretty typical action movie. Gun fights, car chase scenes, etc. If you're into that, I'm sure you'll love it. If that's not your style, then the movie's probably not for you. Critics felt it paled in comparison to the tv series, but as time went on it seems like the movie developed more of an appreciation. Michael Mann, the director, felt his film deserved a better reception while Colin Farrell felt it wasn't his best work and the movie missed the mark. I haven't seen it and I can't say I'm planning on saving it so I can't judge.

Save A New World

For this next cycle, you will all only be cutting from a specific year. Before I reveal the rules, I'm gonna have you each sign up for which years you would like to cut from. The first four to sign up get two years and the last two only get one.

2000 - 

2001 - 

2002 - 

2003 - 

2004 - 

2005 - 

2006 - 

2007 - 

2008 - 

2009 - 

@FrogLenzen @*Diana @Steven_ @*Chris @Elliott @1234567890

Cycle 8 - Team Battle

civilwar_1.jpg?fit=1920,1080

This is gonna be the first of multiple battle rounds throughout the game. Read the rules carefully because it may be a little tricky. This is how this one is gonna work. Everyone has 48 hours to pm me two films from the same year to go into battle. Specify which film you would like in group one and which one you would like in group two. If you don't specify, I will just assume whichever film is first is group one and whichever film is second is group two. You will be nominating only for the 8 or 9 years you are not cutting from.

For example if this was the 2010's game and I was cutting from 2010 and 2011 I would nominate for the other 8 years. I would pm creating a 2012 battle of The Lucky One vs. Taken 2. A 2013 battle of Planes vs. Safe Haven. A 2014 battle of Two Night Stand vs. Maleficent, etc.

I will be receiving five battles in total for each year. These films will square off in two groups of five. The cutter of each year will decide which group of five is surviving and which group of five will be eliminated. They will also be responsible for doing the writeups of the five films they're eliminating.

No film can be nominated twice so if someone already nominated a film you're trying to nominate, I will pm you back to choose another film. If you do not get your nominations in within 48 hours I will randomize them, which for a round this intense can be dangerous. If you need any clarification of the rules please let me know!

@FrogLenzen @*Chris @Steven_ @Elliott @1234567890 @*Diana

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Cycle 8 Posted)