Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Bridge to Terabithia is basically just a meme at this point for movies that end depressingly

I know it's based on a book and idk anything about the book.. but I feel like it would have been better to have the death in the 2nd Act rather than the 3rd Act. 

What happened to AnnaSophia Robb? I thought she was gonna be a huge star, but I feel like the Fanning sisters took her thunder of blonde child actor of the 2000's.

Josh Hutcherson has also kinda disappeared lately, but he at least had the high of the Hunger Games to ride for a while.

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

I reached out to Victoria who confirmed to me she needs a break and would like a sub. I'll make the cut shortly and I'll step in, unless anyone else following would like to step in!

I’ve been watching, I’ll step in! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

Gomorrrah

Gomorra_(2008_movie_poster).jpg

So when I Googled this movie, I thought a film about an ancient city prior to when God destroyed it would pop up, but it turns out this film is an Italian crime film directed by Matteo Garrone, based on the non-fiction book of the same name. It cam out in 2008 and there's a TV series that came out in 2014 that is loosely based on the same book. It's a mafia film that is a contemporary Neapolitan mob drama that exposes Italy's criminal underbelly by detailing the stories of five people (Don Ciro, Toto, Roberto, Pasquale and Sweet Pea) who each think they can make their own compact with the area's Mafia, known as Comorra. Apparently the director got death threats for making it and is still under police protection. Looks like an interesting film to watch, but I've never seen it nor heard of it so out it goes.

Saving: Mystic River

Someone Like You (2001)

Someone Like You film.jpg

A romantic comedy! An even easier choice to cut that what I had previously. Ashley Judd is here as the lead in this harmless, safe, inoffensive film. Should she date Greg Kinnear or Hugh Jackman? She works for a talk show. The men are producers on the show. Ashley writes a magazine column under a pseudonym talking about men and relationships. The anonymous opinions she puts in her magazine column start to get attention and affect her real life. It becomes a whole thing. It eventually resolves. She chooses a man. A song plays in the background. They live happily ever after. The end.

Save City of God

• Haha 1

127852.png

RegularHelplessKestrel-size_restricted.gif

The movie, Sranger Than Fiction, was released in 2006 & its cast includes the likes of Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhall, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, Tony Hale, Kristin Chenoweth who apparently makes a cameo, and Will Ferrell who I am simply not the biggest fan of as I find his movies tend to be a hit or miss. In this comedy, Will Ferrell plays the lead character, Harold who lives a life by himself - he's not someone who is very social.  One day, he started hearing a voice narrating his voice - the narrator is Emma Thompson's character who is a author that tends to kill her main characters which mean Harold should be on the lookout.  He seeks assistance who then is intrigued by the said voice, and he will start falling for Maggie's character, whom he is auditing as part of his job with the IRS.  Eventually, Karen who is the author suffers a writers block but then finds new way inspiration & a way to kill Harold in her book ; Eventually they meet after he recounts her the story thus far.  She has a conclusion written which the therapist reads and concludes that it is a beautiful death. The question is : Will Harold die or did his encounter with Karen changed her ending ? That's a story for another time, or you can read it online or watch the movie.

As mentioned, I am not the biggest fan of Will Ferrell which is why I chose to cut this movie but I have to say that I am surprisingly intrigued by the movie after viewing the trailer and reading about it. It seems to be a different kind of movie for Will which was praised by the critics.

SAVING : THE QUEEN

MATCHSTICK MEN (2003)

MV5BMjA3NjMyNjIyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTgzMDI3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Matchstick Men is a black comedy film starring Nicholas Cage. He plays a con artist named Roy with obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette's. Sam Rockwell plays his partner in crime Frank. Roy is struggling with his disorders, but then comes the surprise arrival of his teenage daughter he never met before. His daughter Angela learns about his criminality, which interests her. Roy decides to bring her along for a scam. Does the plan go well, or is it a failure? I guess you'll have to watch the film or read the Wikipedia page to find out. But if you don't mind spoilers, then the truth is that Angela was never his daughter. Roy's partner Frank staged a long-con on him, and Angela was Frank's accomplice. After watching the trailer, I can't say this movie interests me. And now that I know the plot twist at the end, I don't have much of a reason to watch it now anyway. As for what the critics thought, Matchstick Men has an 82% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Breezy and well-acted, Matchstick Men focuses more on the characters than on the con."

Saving Dan in Real Life.

f832f26c5348490fb1e08c119c98a64b1cbde432.gifv

The Baader Meinhof Complex

Um what am I left with here? I legitimately don't know and am choosing to cut one at random and rely on the trailer and Wikipedia for help here to not holding things up longer. The Baader Meinhof Complex is a movie that was released in 2008 in Germany. The film focuses on the characters acted by  Moritz Bleibtreu, Martina Gedeck, and Johanna Wokalek among others. Despite me not seeing it, that does not take away it's accomplishments as it was actually nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards and the Golden Globe Awards respectfully so that is an huge accomplishment this film has but its time in this rankdown is over

Saving:  Paradise Now

On 2/4/2022 at 12:18 PM, Alex95 said:

Brother Bear was my traumatic school field trip to the movies (which I have slightly more appreciation for now, but as a third grader it was the most boring shit in the world)

Brother Bear (2003)

Brother Bear Poster.png

Wow, look at that poster. It tells you about 0.1% of the movie's actual tone and content. This is a Walt Disney Animated Studios film. The 44th, in fact. Obviously this is not one of the Disney movies that come to mind immediately. The 2000s was an odd era for Disney as they transitioned from the 2d animation to the 3d. Some really great films and some duds. This is less invisible to the universe than Home on the Range was, but it is still one of the more obscure Disney films overall. Critics were not wowed. I think the Disney name comes with high expectations and this did not quite deliver. It wasn't offensive, but it was no Lilo & Stitch. The plot at first glance seems to be interesting, with body swapping and forests and adventuring, but really it is a kind of cliche. I would say... you know exactly where this movie is going as soon as it starts. You can guess the twist about the bear mother in the first 5 milliseconds of meeting the cub. And the ending is kind of an eyeroll moment that thinks it is subverting a trope but absolutely is not. Look, I didn't hate it.

Save X-Men

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Posted)

The Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie

As soon as I saw the The Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie nominated, I knew that was an easy cut choice since I don’t like the show either. The harder choice was finding a movie to save! In this movie, SpongeBob and his trusty starfish friend Patrick, originator of No this is Patrick, set out to clear  the name of Mr Krabs, owner of the Krusty Krab restaurant, who has been accused of stealing the crown of deity King Neptune but they face plenty of obstacles along the way. It has 68% on Rotten Tomatoes which is probably higher then it deserves so out it goes.   

Save: Ice Age 

• Like 1