Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

A Christmas Tale

The film I am most sad to see cut is the   Chrismas Tale unfortunately it is placed with mediocrity so it has go. It was released in the May of 2008 not actually around Christmas time lol which I find ironic. It has a 86 percent on rotten tomatoes so the highest ranking from a film I have cut so far this is such a sad cut to make I just didn't want to save any of the other films it was paired with. If you haven't seen it you should give it a chance because it has a beautiful story and good acting in it..sad to see it go this early.

Bolt

Bolt was a children movie released in 2008. It was stars John Travolta and Chloë Grace Moretz as Miley Cyrus so some huge names there well some. The film is based on a dog voiced by John Travolta named Bolt. Bolt was a puppy  In TV show  in the film. He is accidentally shipped to New York from his TV set in California. The film goes on to show him trying to get back to LA and the animals along the way. It is a cute little children's film but nothing I really felt deserved a save at this point in our game.

Nothing but the Truth

Why have we convinced ourselves that Kate Beckinsale is a good actress? Am I missing something? I feel like she is awkward as heck in anything she does and is so stiff in her delivery in any of the films she stars in.. Anyway I actually think that Nothing But the Truth is her strongest film by far unless I am missing one lol. Hopefully she doesn't have any fans here lol..anyway Nothing But the Truth was released September of that year and the film stars Kate Beckinsale, Matt Dillon, Angela Bassett, Alan Alda and Vera Farmig. Strong cast, good film but nothing I was jumping at the seems to save.

The Strangers

The Strangers was released in May of 2008..it is a horror film so we all know it is a easy cut for me as I never enjoy those lol. The film isn't highly reviewed like some of the other films being cut as it only has a 48 percent on rotten tomates. The film stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman as the main couple in the film. Like many scary movies a family vacation yturns out to be anything but relaxing and they end up fighting for their lives so so original right? Basic plot and semi decent acting makes for a easy cut in this group.

Yes Man

Unfortunately for Yes Man it's in the group I liked the least so I have to cut it which wouldn't be my first choice but that is how the cookie crumbled as they say. This film was released in 2008 and was a successful film for that year. It's main film star is Jim Carrey but it also has queen  Zooey Deschanel and well Bradley Cooper before he was successful lol. It has a 46 percent on Rotten Tomatoes so I guess it isn't as like I assumed lol. I don't love Jim Carey much actually is that unpopular lol?  Anyway I am sure you all know the plot lol

Edited by *Diana

Friday the 13th

Here is the film I chose to cut team two so i could cut because it is pure awful. Friday the 13th was a 2009 terrible horror film. It was released in February of 2009. It actually did well on the box office when it was released gaining a box office of $92.7 million. The film stars Jared Padalecki and Danielle Panabaker. It was not a good film so I don't feel really bad cutting it. Horror/Slasher films are not my thing anyway but when they are acting out so badly it makes it even worse. Just Torture. No thank you

In the Loop

Oof 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Yikes, sorry for any fans of this film.  In the Loop is a 2009 comedy film. It is a British film based off the spin-off from his BBC Television series The Thick of It which I have never seen. The film was released in the UK on January 2009.  In The Loop stars Peter Capadi, James Grandofini, Tom Hollondder, Chris Addiosn and Anna Clumsky.  Peter Capaldi is the main actor as he stars as Malcolm Tucker who is the  Director of Communications for the Prime Minister in the film which is what the film is about. I liked the film but not something I'd be quick to save

The Milk of Sorrow

The Milk of Sorrow was released in February 2009. The film was co-produced by Peru and Spain which I think is quite amazing. It kind of a sad cut to make because I think this film is pretty good but alas here we are. It has a lot of awards to it's name. It won the 2009 Golden Bear award and FIPRESCI prize at the Berlin International Film Festival. It was nominated for the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film and that made it the first Peruvian film to be nominated for the award. It placed 78 percent on rotten tomatoes. Good film.

The Road

The Road was released on November 25, 2009  so it was the Thanksgiving release of that year I'd be guessing. I have actually not seen much of this film which is one of the reasons I chose to cut group 2 from 2009. The Road was an post-apocalyptic survival film directed by John Hillcoat and written by Joe Penhall. This film was based on a book that I have no read but I usually enjoy books more than movies anyway. The film stars Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as a father and his son in a post-apocalyptic world. Plenty of films like this. Meh.

VETO to The Blind Slide.

Edited by *Diana

3 hours ago, *Diana said:

The Strangers was released in May of 2008..it is a horror film so we all know it is a easy cut for me as I never enjoy those lol. The film isn't highly reviewed like some of the other films being cut as it only has a 48 percent on rotten tomates. The film stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman as the main couple in the film. Like many scary movies a family vacation yturns out to be anything but relaxing and they end up fighting for their lives so so original right? Basic plot and semi decent acting makes for a easy cut in this group.

naomimeme.jpg

The Strangers is a modern day classic that is rightfully getting its retroactive praise.

EVIL (2003)

MV5BMTI2MzkzNjMxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzI3NDM3._V1_.jpg

Evil is a Swedish film about a teenage boy named Erik. His stepfather is abusive and beats him daily, which makes Erik a violent person too. He gets into fights at school and is eventually expelled. His mother sends him away to boarding school for a fresh start. Well, apparently there are some upperclassmen at this boarding school that like to beat up weaker underclassmen. Will Erik overcome his violent nature? I guess you'll have to watch the film or read the Wikipedia page to find out. Evil was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, despite mixed reviews from critics. The film has a 68% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Evil's attempts to unpack the causes and effects of violence aren't always successful, but the well-acted end result still has an unsettling impact."

IN AMERICA (2003)

MV5BOGY1YmUzN2MtNDQ3NC00Nzc4LWI5M2EtYzUwMGQ4NWM4NjE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

In America is a semi-autobiographical film written by Jim Sheridan and his daughters Naomi and Kirsten. It's about an Irish family that immigrates to the United States. They start anew in New York City where the father tries to become a successful actor. Their living conditions in a small apartment aren't great, and they're also haunted by the memory of their son's death. Throughout the film, one of the daughters document their lives with a video camera. As for what the critics thoughts, the film has an 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It's described as a rich and moving story, and the director succeeded at tugging at the audience's heartstrings. It seems like a nice movie, but I don't know if I'll seek it out and watch it.

INTOLERABLE CRUELTY (2003)

MV5BMTU2OTc5Mjc0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDYyMjg3._V1_.jpg

Intolerable Cruelty is a romantic comedy starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Clooney plays a successful divorce attorney and Zeta-Jones plays the wife of the man Clooeny's character is representing. So, who prevails in this court battle? From what I'm reading about the film, no one here seems rootworthy. Clooney is kind of a smarmy guy who helps cheating husbands retain their wealth, and Zeta-Jones is a woman who purposefully married a rich guy to take all his money away in a divorce. The movie is described as a flirty battle of the wits, but this doesn't seem like a movie I would want to watch. There are some silly plot twists thrown in, and the film seems to get more ridiculous. The film has a 75% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Though more mainstream than other Coen films, there are still funny oddball touches, and Clooney and Zeta-Jones sizzle like old-time movie stars."

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN (2003)

MV5BZTFlOTdkMjEtNGVmMS00YTA3LThlNjQtMjAzZmFjZDAzNjllL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an action fantasy film that brings together notable characters throughout literature. Among them are Alan Quartermain, Captain Nemo, vampiress Mina Harker, the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Tom Sawyer, and Dorian Gray. I remember watching this film before. My family rented it to watch once. But even as a kid, I was underwhelmed by this movie. It's such a cool idea for a movie, but the end result wasn't great. It wasn't an enjoyable film at all, and I don't blame the critics for their bad reviews. The film has a 17% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Just ordinary. LXG is a great premise ruined by poor execution." And not only that, but Sean Connery had such a bad experience making this film that he decided to retire from acting afterwards. 

UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN (2003)

MV5BOGY5ZjQ4M2ItMjQ0NC00NjY4LWIwYmEtMTIxNzFmNjA4YmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Under the Tuscan Sun is a romance starring Diane Lane. After a woman finds out her husband is cheating on her, her life is turned upside down. After a friend's recommendation (played by Sandra Oh), she decides to go on a tour of Italy to clear her mind and take her out of her depression from the divorce. But while in Italy, she impulsively decides to buy a Tuscan villa and start her life anew there. So, I guess she must be really rich? I'm sure there's an audience for this film, but this isn't a movie I'm interested in watching. As for what the critics thought, Under the Tuscan Sun has a 62% approval rating. The consensus reads: "Though formulaic and superficial, Under the Tuscan Sun is redeemed by Lane's vibrant performance." Diane Lane also received a Golden Globe nomination for her performance in this film.

Divided We Fall (2000)

Divided We Fall.JPG

So of all my cuts, this is the only one that gave me some pause. Mostly because it is a well-reviewed movie that I haven't seen, so I feel a little bad cutting it. At first I thought this was the 9/11 documentary, and I was like OH NOOOOO because that one is even better reviewed lololol, but actually this is a 2000 film from Czech Republic (I never know if I'm supposed to call it "The Czech Republic" or just "Czech Republic" or maybe "Czechia" is actually better...). It was nominated at the Oscars for Best Foreign Language Film. Set in 1939 back when it was Czechoslovakia, this film follows some WWII and ethnic drama that was happening in this region at the time. FYI, Czechoslovakia bordered Germany and Poland, so obviously WWII had a huge impact on this country even though we don't hear about it a lot in the US. 

27 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

@FrogLenzen @*Chris @1234567890 and @Elliott must get all their writeups in by the end of the day or else anyone can take over and cut from their years.

@Steven_ still has to do five more writeups.

Also @1234567890 and @Steven_ still have a veto if they wish to use it.

I’ll have them today. 

• Thanks 1

My Dog Skip (2000)

My dog Skip (movie poster).jpg

Okay so we've covered that I don't love desert war movies, and now we can also add dog movies to the list. I just... don't like them. I mean, Homeward Bound is amazing and I'm sure there's some other dog movie that I have enjoyed but usually no. They inevitably end with the dog dying. The lead actor is Frankie Muniz. It's actually a period piece that takes back entirely in flashback or something like that. Harry Connick Jr. is Frankie all grown up narrating the movie. Does this movie end with the dog dying? You're going to have to watch it to find out! But it's a dog movie. With the dog's name in the title. It takes place in flashback. Put the pieces together. 

Kinky Boots (2006)

A long thigh-high red boot, fills the foreground on the left, three people stand in the distance on the back right

What happens when your mens dress shoe business starts to fail and struggle for customers??? You pivot, create shoes for drag queens, and get a new customer base! Uh oh, but what will happen to your social standing??? Drag queens are devious outcasts and all your conservative friends are going to judge you!!!!!!!!! Anyway, critics thought this movie was Fine but a bit formulaic. Apparently "Britcom" is a word that applies here, but I'm not familiar with the terminology. However, this was adapted into a very successful Broadway Musical by Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein. It won awards for Cyndi Lauper's score, Billy Porter as the lead, and Best Musical at the Tony Awards. So now we sit and wait for the inevitable Film adaption of the broadway adaption of this film and keep our fingers crossed that they improve upon the original. 

The Da Vinci Code (2006)

The da vinci code final.jpg

I'm pretty sure I read this book when it was really popular before this movie came out. For those who don't remember, this book was a best selling book of 2003, second place after Harry Potter 5. And it prompted similar reactions from people who said it was blasphemous and an attack on the church. I think my grandma had a copy so I just read it one day at her house. It's basically... National Treasure but trying to be serious/profound. I remember it being a decent book, and enjoying it enough to read it all the way through. But people haaaaaated this film adaption. Ron Howard did his best. Of course, to find the real critiques of the movie you have to push past all the ones who hate the movie because it's blasphemous. Ebert apparently hated the book but liked the movie, so there's that. I never watched it because it's 149 minutes and this came out after The Terminal with Tom Hanks which I absolutely despised. 

Edited by FrogLenzen

Pollock (2000)

Pollock imp.jpg

Ed Harris is Jackson Pollock. You know, the famous painter. Ed also directed this. Apparently he's a fan. This is an "American independent biographical romantic drama film." Ed was nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars, but in the end it was his co-star Marcia Gay Harden who was able to get an Oscar for this movie, winning Best Supporting Actress. This movie tries to stick pretty close to actual events of Mr. Pollock's life, and it follows him through his marriage to Lee Krasner which ends up not doing so well due to Mr. Pollock's alcoholism and infidelity. If you don't know, Mr. Pollock died by drunk driving himself into a tree. There were two passengers in the car, his mistress (seriously injured) and his mistress's friend (died). Spoiler alert, that's where the movie ends as well. 

Flushed Away (2006)

Flushed poster.jpg

Flushed Away is the 13th Dreamworks Animated movie. Chicken Run, Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon... Dreamworks has had some bangers, but is not as consistent or revered as Disney. This movie was fine, but please admit that you forgot it existed. Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet are the leads. A pet rat encounters a sewer rat and then accidentally flushes himself down the toilet. He finds himself in a big rat city. So he meets up with a lady rat to try and find his way home. Ian McKellan plays the villain, a toad. The villain wants to destroy the rat city. 

Bobby (2006)

Bobby poster.jpg

Another drama that ends with a well-known public figure's death. Robert F. Kennedy was a US Senator who was assassinated after he won the 1968 Democratic presidential primary in California. He was JFK's brother, who had been assassinated in 1963. The cast in this movie includes a ton of big names, including Ashton Kutcher, Lindsay Lohan, and Shia LaBeouf. They aren't the lead actors per se, but I can't tell who is the lead because this is a huge ensemble cast. This isn't so much an autobiographical film about RFK as it is a fictional slice of life film about various individuals during the time of the assassination. Critics were unimpressed and thought that it didn't really come together in the end.