Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)

NOMINATIONS

The Boondocks Saints (2000)

Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

Sonny (2002)

Underworld (2003)

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

Saw II (2005)

Unaccompanied Minors (2006)

Hannibal Rising (2007)

Space Chimps (2008)

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Unaccompanied Minors

How come I never realized this was a Christmas movie? Now thinking about it was based about Christmas Eve night but it's not a film I really think about when I think of Christmas classics LOL

I haven't actually seen this film more than one time when my ex was watching it so I am not the best judge here but I don't think it's a clinical masterpiece. It gets my cut based on its 29 percent on Rotten Tomatoes which is bad so basing on that alone this cut is justified.  A lot of the film's criticism seems from a cheesy plot and bad acting.

Saving: The Secret in Their Eyes

Space Chimps (2008)

Space chimps.jpg

Part of the fun of this game is discovering train wreck movies that you didn't even know existed. Space Chimps. This is real. Andy Samberg is the lead voice actor here. I say train wreck but apparently my boy Ebert actually liked this and gave it 3 stars. Twist. This movie is about chimps who are hired by NASA to go get some technology that accidentally ended up in the hands of an alien dictator. A lot of big actors in this, including Jeff Daniels, Cheryl Hines, Kenan, Kristin Chenowith, Patrick Warburton, Jane Lynch, Stanley Tucci... and surprisingly, a lot of them reprised their roles in the direct to video sequel, Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back. Andy, however, did not. 

Save Butterfly Effect

SONNY

Sonny is a 2002 drama film that tells the story of a soldier who returns home to New Orleans after being discharged, where he wants to shy away from his upbringing as a trained prostitute, and faces opposite from his mom who runs a brothel. The film stars James Franco, Brenda Blethyn, Harry Dean Stanton, Mena Suvari (love her!) and Josie Davis. It was written by John Carlen and was directed by Nicholas Cage is his directorial debut. The film did not do well at the box office, and was received horribly by critics. Notably, most of the criticism centred around Nicholas Cage's direction, with many reviewers saying he was not a good director for the film. Ouch. I have recollections of seeing this film when I was younger because I loved Mena Suvari in the American Pie movies, but I think it's one of the movies I watched once and completely forget about until I read the summary to remind myself of it. :dead: Anyway, since I like a bulk of Steven's nominations, I chose the one I didn't care about to cut to hopefully save some of my other favourites. :broken:

SAVE: The Boondock Saints

thumb-350-523456.jpg

tumblr_obb1em1dn71ut1d6co1_500.gif

If I am being honest, I do not care for any of the nominated movies but I have to save one & cut one so I am saving Saw II for my friend, Elliott, while cutting Hannibal Rising.  The film in question, Hannibal Rising, is a psychological thriller & horror movie that was released in 2007.   One would assume that we all know the story of Hannibal Lecter as he's been portrayed in many movies & television series. So this movie is just another adaptation of his story, which was inspired by a brand new novel that was released in 2006, where this one focus more on his early years as a Nazi Hunter to become a serial killer that performs cannibalism. The movie was not well received & got plenty of negative reviews although the performance of Hannibal was praised which is not a surprise as the actors playing Hannibal do tend to get lots of praises for their portrayal.  

SAVING : SAW II

Underworld

Am I cutting this film to save a Shannon Elizabeth movie? Lol yes if you know me that shouldn't shock you haha. Anyway either film would of been a valid and fair cut at this point so I guess I'll save the one with a favorite of mine to be a good Shannon stan. Despite the movie being just as bad Lmao

Anyway this movie stars Kate Beckinsale and Michael Sheen and was released in 2003 and the beginning of a franchise of films released after that. That's awesome that it was successful enough to warrent that but it's a horror film and we all know I don't like those so for the LOL of it I'll cut another one. This one has a 31 percent (I oop) on Rotten Tomatoes. Hopefully Victoria is okay with this cut but it's been well over 24 hours at this point.

Saving: Thirteen Ghosts

Edited by *Diana
  • Like 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

The Shipping News

I have a feeling this might be one of the movies Alex is referring two when he stated "Two obvious saves here don’t mess it up y’all" so here I am messing it up but unfortunately I am going to have to cut The Shipping News which was a romantic film released in 2001 starting the very talented Julianne Moore and Cate Blanchett. Unfortunately though it also stars Kevin Spacey. I  can't watch anything he is in now without a awful pit in my stomach so for that reason I am going to cut this film which I won't apologize for but is unfortunate because the film had a good story to it and had beautiful landscape throughout the film. 

Saving: Knocked Up 

Edited by *Diana