Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Victoria's Noms Posted)

Sky High (2005)

Sky High movie poster.jpg

You may be shocked to learn this, but this film is actually not a Disney Channel Original Movie and is actually a real movie. I can see why you might be confused because this was co-written by the creators of Kim Possible. Michael Angarano, the guy who plays Elliott in Will & Grace, stars as a freshman at a high school for superheroes. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is also here, which I appreciate since she has three names and that's three words closer to the write-up completion. The premise is that the lead actor is the son of who very famous super heroes, but he doesn't have any powers yet himself. Over the course of the movie, his powers start to materialize and I think it's safe to assume that this lighthearted family comedy has a happy ending.

Save Hellboy

ME, MYSELF & IRENE (2000)

MV5BODMwMDY2YzUtNGFiNS00NDA1LWI4YzMtYzVmM2RlZTk3NGVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Jim Carrey stars in this film about a state trooper named Charlie with a split personality. Charlie is described as a pushover and avoid conflicts at all costs. Due to years of refusing to confront people, he has a mental breakdown that causes a split personality to emerge. As a result, his alter ego Hank is the complete opposite. He's very confrontational and violent, and he comes out whenever Charlie is very stressed. Renée Zellweger plays Irene, and I'm guessing she's a love interest for Charlie. The plot of the film probably focuses on how he tries to pursue a romantic relationship with her while dealing with his Hank persona. I watched the trailer just now, and I don't think this is a film I would enjoy. It doesn't seem to be my type of humor. Jim Carrey does his brand of comedy he's popular for, which I find to be hit-or-miss throughout his filmography. This looks like a miss. According to Rotten Tomatoes, Me, Myself, & Irene has a 48% approval rating. The consensus reads: "While Jim Carrey's comedic skills earn some laughs, Me, Myself and Irene sports a tired, unsatisfying plot." The film was also criticized for its inaccurate portrayal of Dissociative Identity Disorder. Fox tried to brush it off as "just a comedy," but Jim Carrey was apparently requested to explain the differences between Dissociative Identity Disorder and schizophrenia in interviews while promoting the film. 

Saving The House Bunny.

tumblr_nndju9VO261s8ccbto1_500.gifv

• Sad 2

p162618_p_v8_aa.jpg

I was a bit unsure with which movie to cut but I ended up cutting Lassie, the 2005 version.  In this version, the lead is played by Jonathan Masson with the supporting roles being portrayed by Peter O'Toole. Samantha Morton, Peter Dinklage, and John Lynch.  There's truly nothing new in this version - I haven't seen it but I think it's fair to say that no major changes were brought in to this classic story. We all heard of Lassie while growing up - it's a classic story of a bound between a boy and Lassie, a rough collie.  This version was met with positive reviews but it did poorly at the box office which I am not surprised to find out as I never even heard of this version until now.  In other words, if you've seen one version of Lassie, you've seen them all! 

SAVING: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

What is this film? I have legitimately never heard of it so that makes for an easy cut. I am surprised it made it this far without being nominated, I guess it is just a film that was there for most people. I apologize if it has any fans but it was not something that had many good reviews anyway and the trailer just seemed all over the place which is what some of the reviewers had complains about. The film stars Ben Whishaw and the legendary Dustin Hoffman as it's main stars. If you are like me no one but Dustin even rings a bell to you as far as the film stars. Easy cut overall.

SAVING: What a Girl Wants

FAT GIRL

Fat Girl is a foreign coming-of-age drama film from the year 2001 that follows two young sisters as they deal with their sibling rivalry and their desires while on a family vacation. The film is primarily in French, with some additional Italian and English dialogue. It was released under the French title À ma sœur!, which @*Chris (who speaks French) has said would literally translate to "To My Sister," and was released in some English-speaking countries under the titles For My Sister and Story of a Whale. The More You Know™. It was directed by Catherine Breillat, and stars Anaïs Reboux and Roxane Mesquida as the two main sisters. The film grossed $765 thousand at the box office, but Wikipedia gives me no information on its budget. RUDE. The film was received positively by critics, earning a 73% at Rotten Tomatoes, though it did garner controversy for its depiction of teenage sexuality, including a temporary ban in Ontario, Canada until it could be reviewed. Not sure what all happened there.

SAVE: the other film 

Edited by Elliott

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

FAT GIRL

Fat Girl is a French-language drama film from the year 2001 that follows two young sisters as they deal with coming-of-age, sibling rivalry, and desire while on a family vacation. It was released in some English-speaking countries under the titles For My Sister and Story of a Whale. It was directed by Catherine Breillat, and stars Anaïs Reboux and Roxane Mesquida.

SAVE: the other film 

61 copy and pasted words, not even close :kissbye:

• Haha 1