Starring Anamaria Marinca, Laura Vasiliu, Vlad Ivanov

Drama

Romania

96% RT / 97 MC / 4.1 LB

Streaming on AMC+, Kanopy

e1ee1cb9a3d728c2a82c57a6e23fb19ce6d0da9e.gif

Atonement

Directed by Joe Wright

Starring Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Romola Garai, Saoirse Ronan, Vanessa Redgrave

Drama / Romance

United Kingdom / France

83% RT / 85 MC / 4.0 LB

giphy.gif?resize=720,301&ssl=1

Into the Wild

Directed by Sean Penn

Starring Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Catherine Keener, Hal Holbrook

Adventure / Drama

United States

83% RT / 73 MC / 3.8 LB

Streaming on Paramount+

068141e76371b1c063fab6d1617d41849faff940

Juno

Directed by Jason Reitman

Starring Elliot Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney

Romance / Drama / Comedy

United States

94% RT / 81 MC / 3.7 LB

Streaming on HBO Max

FxpD.gif

La Vie en Rose

Directed by Olivier Dahan

Starring Marion Cotillard, Sylvie Testud, Pascal Greggory, Emmanuelle Seigner

Drama / Music

France / Czech Republic / United Kingdom

74% RT / 66 MC / 3.7 LB

b5c050847ad38bd84a9d795a815b2dee.gif

No Country for Old Men

Directed by Joel Coen, Ethan Coen

Starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin

Drama / Thriller / Crime

United States

93% RT / 92 MC / 4.3 LB

Streaming on HBO Max

cb95ec70c9c04372b8f8f437d71554c0f571c0ac.gif

The Orphanage

Directed by J. A. Bayona

Starring Belén Rueda, Fernando Cayo, Roger Príncep, Mabel Rivera, Montserrat Carulla

Drama / Thriller / Horror

Spain

87% RT / 74 MC / 3.6 LB

tumblr_p9csm892X61xp7fglo2_500.gif

Persepolis

Directed by Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud

Starring Chiara Mastroianni, Catherine Deneuve

Drama / Animation

France

96% RT / 90 MC / 4.1 LB

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e736e26b17f5a73fa8f47684d5d42165f94cffe1&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Ratatouille

Directed by Brad Bird

Starring Patton Oswalt, Lou Romano, Ian Holm, Brian Dennehy, Janeane Garofalo

Fantasy / Family / Comedy / Animation

United States

96% RT / 96 MC / 4.2 LB

Streaming on Disney+

dq8.gif

There Will Be Blood

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson

Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Kevin J. O'Connor, Ciarán Hinds, Dillon Freasier

Drama

United States

91% RT / 93 MC / 4.4 LB

Streaming on Paramount+, Roku, Pluto TV

tumblr_pcf0d9Ldpr1wq2fcco1_500.gif

Out of the 11 film being left vulnerable, I have chosen to eliminate Insomnia on the basis that it's one of the select few film that I am unfamiliar with that's been remaining - apologies in advance if anyone do like this film but I also assume that it's no one's top favourites as it was left vulnerable up to this point.  Directed by Christopher Nolan - whom I know for Inception and The Dark Knight ; It was apparently one of his first major release as he was used to direct more indie films. Anyway, back to Insomnia, it is a remake of a Norwegian film of the same night and it stars Al Pacino, Robin Williams as well as Hillary Swank.  The film is about a two detective - one of them being Al Pacino's character - who are brought in to solve an murder investigation. The film was met with praises especially for the performances in the film... Watching the trailer now, it does look interesting and I think it would be something that I would like but unfortunately, the write-up is pretty much completed and I don't feel like writing another one about another film ; I'll certainly going to add it to my list of movie to watch, and hoping that I can find a way to watch it on one of the many streaming services that I have. 

• Sad 1

Top 10 of 2002

0096a7dd2bbf14ef37b76cf4374c36e8.gif

28 Days Later

Directed by Danny Boyle

Starring Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, Megan Burns, Brendan Gleeson

Horror / Science Fiction / Thriller

United Kingdom

87% RT / 73 MC / 3.7 LB

tumblr_inline_p8d2kxgphm1s1u9mj_500.gif

Adaptation.

Directed by Spike Jonze

Starring Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper

Crime / Drama / Comedy

United States

91% RT / 83 MC / 4.0 LB

tumblr_nde8odgvro1rmmd4eo1_500.gif

Catch Me If You Can

Directed by Steven Spielberg

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, Nathalie Baye

Drama / Crime

United States

96% RT / 75 MC / 4.0 LB

Streaming on HBO Max

tumblr_n8iibarSAv1qbuhcoo1_500.gif

Chicago

Directed by Rob Marshall

Starring Renée Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly

Drama / Crime / Comedy

United States

86% RT / 81 MC / 3.8 LB

Streaming on HBO Max

tumblr_inline_nc46aoCS5K1r4j8j1.gif

City of God

Directed by Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund

Starring Alexandre Rodrigues, Leandro Firmino, Phellipe Haagensen, Matheus Nachtergaele, Seu Jorge

Crime / Drama

Brazil

91% RT / 79 MC / 4.4 LB

Streaming on Paramont+, Pluto TV

20353398.gif

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Directed by Chris Columbus

Starring Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Kenneth Branagh, Richard Harris

Adventure / Fantasy

United Kingdom / United States

82% RT / 63 MC / 3.6 LB

Streaming on Peacock, Fubo TV

giphy.gif

Lilo & Stitch

Directed by Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois

Starring Daveigh Chase, Chris Sanders, Tia Carrere, David Ogden Stiers, Kevin McDonald

Family / Animation

United States

87% RT / 73 MC / 3.9 LB

Streaming on Disney+

lot3.webp

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Directed by Peter Jackson

Starring Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis

Fantasy / Adventure / Action

New Zealand / United States

95% RT / 87 MC / 4.3 LB

Streaming on Netflix, HBO Max

f72174ed817ab671368f4534eee68bf021e2c57d.gif

Road to Perdition

Directed by Sam Mendes

Starring Tom Hanks, Tyler Hoechlin, Paul Newman, Jude Law, Daniel Craig

Thriller / Drama / Crime

United States

81% RT / 72 MC / 3.7 LB

Streaming on Netflix, Paramount+, Pluto TV

6999435-9532482549-

Spider-Man

Directed by Sam Raimi

Starring Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Cliff Robertson

Fantasy / Action

United States

90% RT / 73 MC / 3.8 LB

Streaming on Hulu

The Matrix Reloaded (2003)

Poster - The Matrix Reloaded.jpg

Part of me is sad that any of these movies is missing the Top 100 when they're so close, and the other part of me is kind of ready for all of them to be cut for not surviving the save round. Only 4 movies will survive and I'm only really mildly invested in 2 of them, and this isn't one. 2003 also has the most movies left in the game (by 1 lol) and I've nominated this before so this is my cut. This is the sequel to The Matrix from 1999, and if you read my mini write-up in the mini rankdown you'll remember that I said that The Matrix is one of the most influential movies of all time, one of the biggest pop cultural resets we've experienced in this lifetime. The sequel isn't that simply because it's a sequel. This wasn't some huge revamp of the franchise/genre. This was a continuation of the same stuff. Not as great as the original, partly because it's just not novel anymore and also partly for other reasons. I adore The Matrix original but I am not a super fan of the trilogy as a whole. Aaliyah filmed some scenes for this movie but they had to reshoot those scenes and cast another actress in order to complete it. 

• Thanks 1

School of Rock

School_of_Rock_Poster.jpg

As Derek noted, the year 2003 needs trimming down and School of Rock is the one of this list that I am least attached to. I have never been a big Jack Black fan in the movies I have watched him in either. The premise is that after being kicked out of his rock band No Vacancy, Dewey Finn becomes a substitute teacher of an elementary private school with an uptight principal, to try and turn his class into a rock band to pay his rent and attempt to win the upcoming Battle of the Bands and use the winnings to pay his rent. Miranda Cosgrove stars as straight-A student and band manager Summer Hathaway, as well as Mike Whit as Dewey's roommate Ned. I have not been very nce to him in these rankdowns, but I'm sure he'll live. It has a 92% rating on RT. A musical based on it opened on Broadway in 2015, and a TV adaptation ran on Nickoloedeon starting in 2016 but was not nearly as well-received as the movie. 

• Sad 3

Road to Perdition (2002 dir. by Sam Mendes)

0792d7efad4816dd0d537309e267412503faddb0

Insomnia, Persepolis, REC, and School of Rock are tough losses. This game is getting hard. 

Road to Perdition is a film that I have absolutely no attachment to, hence the cut. Based on the graphic novel written by Max Allan Collins and illustrated by Richard Piers Rayner, this adaptation of the crime drama by David Self follows a mob enforcer and his father as they seek vengeance against a mobster that murdered their family. The story is set in 1931 - the Great Depression being the backdrop obviously. The film explores themes of violence and its consequences, as well as father-son relationships. The stacked cast stars Tom Hanks, Tyler Hoechlin, Paul Newman, Jude Law, Daniel Craig, Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Liam Aiken, Dylan Baker, Ciarán Hinds, and more. Released to critical acclaim and commercial success, critics and fans praised the movie for the cinematography, production design, and performances of Hanks and Newman. The film earned six Oscar nominations and a posthumous win for Conrad L. Hall for his cinematography. A very good movie, but clearly one of the few movies remaining without any passionate fans.

One cut left to go! Everyone can now PM or DM me a ranking of the five remaining films. Ranked at the top, what you'd most like to see remain in the game. Ranked at the bottom, what you'd most like to see eliminated. I will average the lists together and whichever has the lowest average will be eliminated. In the event of a tie, we will go to a randomizer.

Kung Fu Hustle

Sideways

Sin City

The Host

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

@Deeee @~Tom~ @*Diana @FrogLenzen @Steven_ @*Chris

You guys kept it really close! Here are the results:

1. The Host - 2.167

2. Kung Fu Hustle - 3.0

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 3.0

4. Sin City - 3.333

5. Sideways - 3.5

Sideways has been eliminated and will be the final film missing our top 100. If anyone wants to do the writeup be my guest. Otherwise I’ll just do it later