Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

What Lies Beneath

What_lies_beneath_(poster).jpg

I think What Lies Beneath made in this far because it was overlooked due to being low on the 2000s list, but it does not deserve this high of a ranking when we lost better horror movies just last round. The premise of the film involves Dr. Norman Spencer (Harrison Ford) betraying his beautiful wife Claire (Michelle Pfeiffer) and Claire hearing mysterious voices and seeing a young woman's image a year later. As is a common trope in horror films, he doesn't believe her and thins she's delusional. The film involves Claire trying to fight the spirit and her relationship with Norman (who's awful throughout the movie). It has a great scene with the figure in the bathtub but still mediocre with a 47% RT rating so out it goes.

Save: Crash

8 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

lol I loved What Lies Beneath

I think I’d have liked it more if I watched it when it came out, but I’m particular about my ghost films these days. 

Butterfly Effect got saved and that’s all that matters. :wub: 

1-22.gif

Un prophète, also known as A Prophet, is a French-Italian film directed by Jacques Audiard, released in 2009. In the lead role, Tahar Rahim plays the character of Malik El Djebena, a young delinquent of Algerian descent who rises in the hierarchy of inmates, becoming a murderer and a drug dealer, and being introduced to the Corsican and Muslim subculture.  Like many French films, it was presented at the Cannes Film Festival 2009, where it won the Grand Jury Prize. It was also awarded 9 awards, including Best Film and Best Director, at the 2010 César Awards - the equivalent of Academy Awards for French cinema.  It was recognized by the Academy Award by receiving a nomination, while winning a BAFTA... The film is critically acclaimed with a score of 97% of Rotten Tomatoes ; I have never seen it the film but I've heard of it and it's highly possible that I would be a fan of it - I'll need to check it out, eventually.

SAVING: NOTES ON A SCANDAL

25th Hour

25th Hour was released in December 2002. Spike Lee directed the film, everyone knows who he is. According to one review on the website GQ The 25th hour is " 25th Hour remains the best and most accurate depiction of a post-9/11 New York City" I would not be the one to ask if that is true or not because I don't watch post 9/11 movies. I have an opinion on them. Anyway good placement for this movie but no real big loss. It stars Edward Newton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin and Rosario Dawson, Strong list of actors on the cast. It has a 79 percent on rotten tomatoes.

Saving: Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Departures

Okuribito_(2008).jpg

Maybe @Alex95 is still drowning his sorrows over the Giants' stiff loss, but in any case I think this is an easy decision here. Departures is a Japanese drama film released in 2008 and directed by Yojiro Takira. The film follows a young man called Daigo Kobayashi (played by Masahiro Motoki) who returns to his hometown after a failed career as a cellist and finds work as a nōkanshi (a traditional Japanese ritual mortician). His friends and wife do not like this because of strong social taboos in Japan against people who deal with death. Eventually through the beauty and dignity of his work, he repairs these relationships. Phone Booth is much more my thing so out Departures must go.

Save: Phone Booth

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Next)

Monster House (2006)

Film poster showing three children standing behind and looking at the haunted house. The tagline "There goes the neighborhood." appears at the top of the poster, and the title and the names of the cast and crew appears at the bottom of the poster.

This somehow slipped under the radar for everyone because I can't think of a reason why it's still here. This is a non-Disney animated movie. It's not totally worthless because Dan Harmon wrote it and it has some famous actors in here. Wow apparently critics really loved it and my boy Ebert gave it 4/4 stars. Tbf, it probably is a bit of a change from formulaic disney stuff and I'm sure that helped. I haven't heard that any of the rankers were obsessed with this and we have enough disney pixar ghibli to keep track of so I feel fine letting this go in the 200s and moving on.

Save THank You For Smoking

acda3d16e580fc65546b6501c94cfca08254be38.gif 

We all have heard of The Proposal, and I would assume that we all have seen it.... But if you haven't seen it, it was released in 2009 where it featured an all-star cast in Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Malin Åkerman, Denis O'Hare, Craig T. Nelson, Mary Steenburgen and of course, the one and only, Betty White! The plot of this romantic film is the one of a woman - Sandra Bullock's character - who is facing deportation from the US due to her visa getting expired and the renewal got denied.  She, along with Ryan Reynold's character, decide to do some 90 Day Fiance realness by pretending they are engaged to get her visa approval. They visit his hometown, she meets his grammy which is played by Betty White and the highlight of the movie... Eventually, their plan gets known when the truth is announced at the wedding where the immigration agent was also present, and she must leave the US for Canada - could they have not found a better country to make it a bit more believable :haha:... In typical rom-com fashion, they actually fall in love with each other and they are engaged by end of the film.  The film is a typical romantic comedy, and if you love those, you will love this film ; Although, only 45% loves it on RottenTomatoes.  Personally, I believe the only good thing about this film is the rennaisance of Betty White!  Anyway, apologies to the fans but it was only matter of time until it was going to get eliminated as it has been nominated by a few of us during every round, almost... Still a great showing of this film despite everything.

SAVING: SUNSHINE CLEANING

• Confused 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Posted)

MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS (2005)

MV5BZDNlZjFlZWItMGRkNy00ZGE0LTk2OGEtNjdmOTM5NDIzMzNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_.jpg

Mrs. Henderson Presents is based on a true story about Laura Henderson and the Windmill Theatre. Judi Dench stars as the title character, an eccentric and recently widowed woman who opens up a theater. It seems like she was bored and rich and decided to do something with all money she now has after her husband's death. The theater's beginning was modest with the shows they started, but they weren't making much of a splash. In order to bring in revenue, Mrs. Henderson has the idea to introduce nude women into the shows. It was inspired by the Moulin Rouge in Paris, but these types of shows were unprecedented in the United Kingdom at the time. The show becomes a hit, and it stays open during events of World War II as well. I watched the trailer on YouTube, and it seems to give away most of the film. I don't like it when movie trailers do that. This seems like an interesting film, especially since it's based on a true story. There seems to be some funny and lighthearted moments too, and I'm sure Judi Dench is great in the role too. I've never heard of this film before though. As for what the critics thought, Mrs. Henderson Presents has a 67% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins shine in this warm, witty period piece." 

Saving Revolutionary Road.

tumblr_mpqrzwDlsM1r0go1eo5_250.gif