Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

Time to overthink if this is foreshadowing for one of your actor cuts or saves in the other game :giggle:

I haven't concluded what I am doing yet - all 4 actresses that I like but I do need to come up with a decision :haha: 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)

A Knight's Tale

EB20010511REVIEWS105110302AR.jpg

A Knight's Tale is a cute film, but at this stage of the game, cute isn't going to cut it. Directed by Brian Helgeland and released in 2001, the movie takes its name from Chaucer's "The Knight's Tale" in his Canterbury Tales and takes some inspiration from its plot as well. Set in medieval 14th century Europe, the movie revolves around William Thatcher (played by Heath Ledger) begins a quest to win the heart of maiden Jocelyn (played by Shanynn Sossamon), pay Chaucer's debt (played by Paul Bettany) and raise his standing/earn Prince Edward's respect through jousing. With the help of his friends (Mark Addy, Paul Bettany, Alan Tudyk), he does this under the guise of a knight. Love Heath Ledger bu this is a fair spot for it to go.

Save: Halloween

JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS (2001)

MV5BOTYzMmQ5YTAtYjcyZi00ZjVjLTk2MmMtZGIzZmFmYzA3YTk0L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTg3MTc4ODY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Josie and the Pussycats is a film I've never seen before, but I feel like I pretty much watched the whole film in the two and a half minute trailer on YouTube. There's a girl group called the Pussycats, and the musicians are played by Rachel Leigh Cook, Tara Reid, and Rosario Dawson. They're small-town girls with big dreams, but they haven't gotten their big break yet. In the beginning of the trailer, they perform at a bowling alley while everyone pretty much ignores them. They eventually get signed to a record label and are renamed Josie and the Pussycats. They become a success, appearing on the cover of magazines and getting to perform on TRL. However, there's conflict when it seems like Josie gets all the attention. They realize management is just using them as pawns in a marketing scheme to sell products to the younger demographic. The band feels like they lost their identity as they got caught up with the fame and fortune. They take a stand against what's being pushed onto them, even if it means losing their newfound success. However, everything works out at the end. Anyway, this seems like a fun, lighthearted movie that satirizes the music industry and pop culture. As for what the critics thought, Josie and the Pussycats has a 53% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "This live-action update of Josie and the Pussycats offers up bubbly, fluffy fun, but the constant appearance of product placements seems rather hypocritical." Despite the poor reviews and underwhelming performance at the box office, Josie and Pussycats did eventually find success as a cult film.

Saving Spirited Away.

icegif-193.gif

• Sad 1

Halloween II (2009 dir. by Rob Zombie)

tumblr_lvyuxm4KJU1qby38so1_500.gif

Sorry @Elliott, please forgive me for this write-up.

No surprise here but this movie just...upsets me. Rob Zombie either creates masterpieces like The Devil's Rejects or terribly awful movies. Halloween II belongs to the latter category I fear. Listen, I respect that Rob had a unique vision for this film. And this movie is not all bad. Danielle Harris and Scout Taylor-Compton slay, even if Laurie Strode is OBNOXIOUS AND AWFULLY WRITTEN in this movie. The kills are extremely brutal and the hospital scene is not bad. The predecessor was not very great, but this movie just goes off the rails. In all honesty, Rob Zombie writes really trashy characters and stories that just SCREAM Jerry Springer. Zombie writes really perverted scenes into his materials always, which gives me icky feelings. Don't get me started on the pretentious Sheri Moon Zombie white horse crap. I just think he doesn't have the filmmaking capacity either to tell a story about trauma and damaged psyches?

The movie underperformed at the box office and Zombie would turn down doing a sequel. Still shocked a sequel was even offered to him after this movie, especially considering reviews were also really terrible. I remember feeling like the franchise was road kill after this movie, but look who has egg on their face....

SAVING: The Devil's Rejects

11 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Spirited Away

Coyote Ugly

A Knight's Tale

Josie and the Pussycats

Thirteen Ghosts

Hannibal

Polar Express

The Devil’s Rejects

Halloween

Halloween II

These nominations are a personal attack on me!!!