Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

16. THE HOUSE THAT BUILT ME – MIRANDA LAMBERT

09cc46dcd1f33bb4ec1dc106ef40aa0d.450x450x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 2

RICHARD: 2

CHRIS: 3

AKSHAR: 4

ANDY: 6

NICO: 8

GIGI: 13

DIANA: 14

DEREK: 16

STEVEN: 16

WALLACE: 19

ALEX: 20

LILY: 20

REI: 20

RICHARD

This song ranks high for me in large part because of the sentimental value. It’s not as iconic as some of the others I’ve put below it, but it’s a gorgeous track that definitely tugs at the emotional chords. Miranda’s voice is both rich and delicate, perfectly complementing the soft acoustic backing. Absolutely one of my favorite country songs, if not my favorite.

ANDY

Another devastating song, one of my favorite country songs that doesn’t have Kacey’s name attached to it.

STEVEN

This song is fine, but I don't think it's the best song on her Revolution album. I like "Only Prettier" and "Dead Flowers" better. 

WALLACE

RaggedRemoteBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif

It's kinda iconic/interesting to me how Miranda Lambert's songs are often targeted on the Country Songs game but this one made it through the cuts round of this game. Well done to Miranda on that! :yes: "The House That Built Me" isn't really a song I am too familiar with. I'm also more familiar with and like other Miranda songs more. But I don't have anything against this song as I do appreciate and enjoy it whenever I hear it. She sounds really pretty and sings the song straight from her heart with so much emotion. It's so sincere and honest from her. I do like the parts where she sings:

Out here it's like I'm someone else,
I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in I swear I'll leave.

But yeah this is a beautiful song from Miranda. Sadly my lack of familiarity/connection with it and me really liking or loving 18 other songs is why I have it ranked here. But I am certain it will do well amongst the country fans.

15. UNDO IT – CARRIE UNDERWOOD

53ce17f4c65ff0e7f9524f897942388a.335x335x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 1

GIGI: 4

CHRIS: 5

DIANA: 7

QK: 7

DEREK: 10

NICO: 12

LILY: 14

ANDY: 15

ALEX: 16

REI: 17

RICHARD: 17

WALLACE: 18

AKSHAR: 20

STEVEN

"Undo It" is one of my all-time favorite Carrie Underwood songs. I love this song a lot. It's my favorite song on her Play On album, and it's my favorite sassy uptempo song of hers too. It's so much fun to listen and sing along to; I'm glad she keeps "Undo It" on her concert setlists. The catchy tempo and Carrie's powerful voice all come together perfectly here. The hook is especially fun too. The "uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it" part was co-writer Kara DioGuardi's suggestion after Carrie was ad-libbing some "na, na, nas" while they were writing it. "Undo It" is a song I could listen to on repeat and enjoy it every time.

ANDY

I liked this a lot more when it was popular, but this song definitely goes off. I think angry Carrie is the best version of Carrie tbh, she has that much needed grit that some of her other music sometimes lacks (I say this as a fan)

ALEX

No one’s allowed to #drag me for my Carrie rankings after my generous Before He Cheats ranking.

RICHARD

This is a perfectly fine country song, and Carrie’s voice is obviously great. I just don’t really have any strong feelings about it.

WALLACE

tumblr_nbqyyiRiCg1qck1v3o1_500.gifv

I'm kinda surprised that "Undo It" made it into the Year-End Hot 100 list over some of other Carrie's singles from Carnival Ride and Play On, as I didn't remember "Undo It" being that big or thought other songs of hers from those eras were bigger. For instance, I think I would have expected "Cowboy Casanova" to make it here? Anyway, I do really like these sassy uptempo songs from Carrie and they tend to be my favorites from her. Although this song isn't one of my biggest favorites from her but I still really like. I do like how she ses up the start of the song and the attitude she has throughout. The chorus is very catchy and so fun!

You stole my happy, you made me cry
Took the lonely and took me for a ride
And I wanna uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it
You had my heart, now, I want it back
I'm starting to see everything you lack
Boy, you blew it, you put me through it
I wanna uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it 

Na, na, na, na, na
Na, na, na, na, na
Na, na, na, na, na, na

:bobo:

I can't really think of any stand out parts on the verses but I do like those pre-chorus parts where she first sings:

Now I only have myself to blame
For falling for your stupid games

And then sings:

Now you only have yourself to blame
For playing all those stupid games

I always like how she changes up the person's perspective of what she sings. :haha: But yeah "Undo It" is a great, fun and sassy song that I do really enjoy from Carrie. Sadly this set of songs is very stacked for me where I prefer the other songs and am more familiar with them, so I could only bring this to 18th. But I am certain it will still do well in this game.

14. CALIFORNIA GURLS – KATY PERRY FEAT. SNOOP DOGG

c4de10fee83d691284eab28b2528b76b.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 3

DEREK: 6

AKSHAR: 7

RICHARD: 7

DIANA: 8

GIGI: 8

LILY: 9

QK: 10

STEVEN: 13

ALEX: 17

CHRIS: 18

REI: 18

ANDY: 19

NICO: 19

WALLACE

0c28d1ae-501c-40b4-bb62-e12fde976df2_tex

I was really worried at first but I am so glad that "California Gurls" from Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg made it through to the Final 20! I was really hoping and pulling for this song to make it through, as it's amongst my top favorite songs of 2010 and it's also one of my top favorite songs of Katy Perry's! I can totally get those not liking and thinking this might be a silly song, but I've always loved "California Gurls"  and it's just a song that makes me happy whenever I hear it. :haha: I do love Katy Perry's vocal delivery on the song as she sounds reallly cute. I do love how she sings that opening verse. But I do really love how she sings the pre-chorus of the song that goes:

You could travel the world
But nothing comes close
To the golden coast
Once you party with us
You'll be falling in love

Then the chorus is so cute, fun and catchy and I love how Katy sings that part of the song:

California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your popsicle 

California girls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
West Coast represent
Now put your hands up

The second verse is also a lot of fun and I love the parts where Katy sings:

Sex on the beach 

We freak in my Jeep
Snoop Doggy Dogg on the stereo

Lol oh naughty Katy! :giggle:I also love how Snoop Dogg is on the track. I never would have imagined Katy and Snoop collaborating but I am so here for it. And also it's about time we got some Snoop Dogg in the Top 20 here too! There's a few times I wish we could have had Snoop represented in the finals here but it never worked out until now. So yayy for Snoop being here now! 😄 Anyway, I do love his rap verse on this song. He has such a slick and smooth style of rapping that I enjoy. Some of my favorite lines are where he raps:

Toned, tan, fit and ready
Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy
Wild Wild West Coast
These are the girls I love the most 

I'm okay
I won't play
I love the bait
Just like I love LA 

Homeboys
Bangin' out
All that a** hangin' out
Bikinis, zucchinis
Martinis, no weenies
Just the King and the Queeny

I love how Katy sings the rest of the song and it's all just so fun! :bobo: Besides loving the song, I also really love the music video. I love the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory inspired theme to it - it's like the naughty version of it. :haha: I can certainly see "California Gurls" being quite a polarizing song amongst the rankers rankings of it. Even though this is my preferred Katy Perry song, I know it won't beat out "Teenage Dream" at all as that song is probably more well liked. But I still hope this song can rank well, as it is amongst one of my top favorites from Katy Perry.

RICHARD

This song is just super fun and infectious. It doesn’t aspire to be a lyrical masterpiece, but it also doesn’t need to be. It’s just an all-around great pop track that was definitely one of the most iconic of the year.

STEVEN

This seems to be one of Katy Perry's more popular songs, but it's never been one of my favorites. I actually like all the other singles from Teenage Dream (except for "E.T.") better than "California Gurls." And there are other songs from other albums I would rank higher too. But I still like "California Gurls." It is a fun and cute song, and the music video is amusing too. So I like the song, but it just falls in the middle of my ranking out of these songs.

ANDY

Lol Drunk Rei is right (❤️), this song is pure trash. It’s fun trash, don’t get me wrong, but trash nonetheless. I still enjoy it though

13. RUDE BOY – RIHANNA

4eb43db602d48a8df2be2b073efc8e00.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2

WALLACE: 5

REI: 7

LILY: 8

ALEX: 9

ANDY: 9

DIANA: 10

AKSHAR: 13

DEREK: 14

STEVEN: 14

CHRIS: 16

NICO: 16

QK: 18

RICHARD: 20

WALLACE

5XOD.gif

"Rude Boy" is an ABSOLUTE JAM of a song from Rihanna, which we all know she has a ton of, of course! But yeah "Rude Boy" was amongst my Top 10 favorite songs of 2010 so this was a song I was really hoping to see make it through to the finals, so #bless Rei & Lily on advancing this through. ❤️ I also think of "Rude Boy" as my favorite single from her Rated R album and favorite lead/solo artist release from her of 2010 as well. I love the reggae fusion/dancehall/pop vibe that Rihanna brings to the song as this style of song really suits and works so perfectly for her. She's quite scandalous with what she's singing in the chorus and maybe throughout the whole song, but Rihanna can certainly pull it off. :dead: I do love her delivery of what she's singing and how she sings it:

Come here, rude boy, boy, can you get it up?
Come here rude boy, boy, is you big enough?
Take it, take it (Yeah), baby, baby (Yeah)
Take it, take it (Yeah), love me, love me
Come here, rude boy, boy, can you get it up?
Come here rude boy, boy, is you big enough?
Take it, take it (Yeah), baby, baby (Yeah)
Take it, take it (Yeah), love me, love me

I do love how she sings the verses with a mix of a sexy singing style and then some belting singing thrown in there. I especially love all of those parts of how she sings "tonight" at the start of each line. Then I also really love how she sings all of those Giddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up babe lines too! :bobo:

But then I'm also kinda obsessed with that pre-chorus section of the song where she sings:

Do you like it?
Boy, I want, want, want what you want, want, want
Give it to me, baby, like boom, boom, boom
What I want, want, want is what you want, want, want
Nah, nah-ah

Jeeez, just too much slayage from Rihanna in this song. Calm down girl. :dead: But please don't. From the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

Relax, let me do it how I wanna
If you got it, I need it, and I'ma put it down
Buckle up, I'ma give it to ya stronger
Hands up, we could go a little longer
Tonight, I'ma get a little crazy, get a little crazy, baby

😮

I also love how Rihanna kinda slows down the song on the bridge and showcases a prettier side of her voice where she sings:

I like the way you touch me there
I like the way you pull my hair
Babe, if I don't feel it I ain't faking, no, no (Oh no)
I like when you tell me 'Kiss you there'
I like when you tell me 'Move it there'
So giddy-up, time to get it up
You say you a rude boy, show me what you got now
Come here right now
Take it, take it, baby, baby
Take it, take it, love me, love me

I just love how she sings that part! ❤️ Then Rihanna just jams so effortlessly through the rest of the song, like it's nothing! :bobo: "Rude Boy" is just SUCH a catcy and addicting jam, I absolutely love it! Also love the video. It's really creative, colorful and just so much fun to watch! I am sure this song will rank well but I have absolutely no idea how well it will rank or where but can't wait to find out!

ANDY

Love the production, this is Rihanna at her most catchy. This is sleazy and sexy and I love it. Well deserved #1 for miss Riri.

STEVEN

Rihanna delivers this well, and it is pretty catchy. However, it's not a song I have ever sought out to listen to. I still like it well enough listening to it now though.

RICHARD

This has never been one of my favorite Rihanna songs. Melodically, it doesn’t really do anything for me, and the lyrical content is a little TMI for my liking. At least “California Gurls” does something a little more clever and fun with the sexual innuendos, where this one plays it straight and just feels kind of icky.

Edited by Steven_

16: Oooh I'm not too surprised seeing "The House That Built Me" getting such a wide mix of polarizing rankings. This got 6 Top 8 rankings and then 8 Bottom 8 rankings, so it kinda balances out. Also cool to learn this is possibly Richard's favorite country song. 😮

15: Ooh the rankings for "Undo It" area all over the place as well. I can't really recall how I saw this doing but figured it might not have done as well as Carrie's other songs. As always, love Steven's write-ups for Carrie songs. Like Andy, I also always really enjoy angry and sassy Carrie like this. :giggle:

14: Oooh lmao I knew my streak of Bottom 10 songs coming up was too good to stay true, but hey.... made it 6 songs without losing a Top 10 sooo I can not complain. :haha: I think I kinda expected "California Gurls" to be one of my earlier Top 10 losses, but that's fine. Ooh and yeah I also predicted and knew this would be Katy's lower ranking song so not surprised there. I'm just glad that this made it through to the finals. Agreed completely with Richar'd's comment. And yay for 8 Top 10 rankings.

13: Oooh dang, I wasn't expecting "Rude Boy" to show up quite yet but dangg, this is kinda robbed a bit. :( Really love this and this is such a fun jam from Rihanna. Hmm kinda surprised to be the 2nd highest ranker of this. But  7 Top 10 ranks is still really good. Gosh I feel like this set of songs will be really tight in points (ETA: Ooh wow it is as all these songs are 0.14 points apart). :haha:

My remaining #s: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 20

Some #1s and #20s have been revealed so I'll post those below.

#1s revealed (1): Steven
#1s left (13): Akshar, Alex, Andy, Chris, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, QK, Rei, Richard, Wallace

#20s revealed (8): Chris, Derek, Gigi, Alex, Lily, Rei, Akshar, Richard
#20s left (6): Andy, Diana, Nico, QK, Steven, Wallace

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

RIx0.gif

When I saw QK rank a Carrie song at #7...and Wallace rank it at #18. 

when I saw Diana ranking it #7 I was shocked. :giggle:But Wally tanks country songs here so that one didn't shock me. 

Edited by QueenKalie
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

RIx0.gif

When I saw QK rank a Carrie song at #7...and Wallace rank it at #18. 

:dead: 

omg ughh I feel so bad about that. 🙈 I'll always support Carrie in the Country Songs game with high rankings (most of the time), at least. :haha:  But it's harder in this game, as I do prefer the other genres more and really like/love most of the songs here. 

9 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

when I saw Diana ranking it #7 I was shocked. :giggle:But Wally tanks country songs here so that one didn't shock me. 

Ehhhhh I don't purposely tank them, honestly. I always give my honest rankings. In general, they tend to be my lesser favorites as I prefer other genres in general. I have ranked the other two country songs at decent spots (and neither are my #20).

5 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

:dead: 

omg ughh I feel so bad about that. 🙈 I'll always support Carrie in the Country Songs game with high rankings (most of the time), at least. :haha:  But it's harder in this game, as I do prefer the other genres more and really like/love most of the songs here. 

bbcan5-bbcan.gif

• Haha 2

12. IMPOSSIBLE – SHONTELLE

c46fd442bfeec2f6b1294ddea9878676.300x300x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 4

STEVEN: 5

AKSHAR: 9

CHRIS: 9

WALLACE: 9

ANDY: 10

RICHARD: 10

NICO: 11

REI: 11

GIGI: 12

QK: 13

ALEX: 15

DEREK: 18

DIANA: 20

STEVEN

This is a great song. Shontelle sounds stunning here. I like the lyrics and anthemic feel of the song too. Everything just comes together well here, and I'm glad to see that this made it to the Top 20.

WALLACE

shontelle.webp

I am really happy and pleased that Shontelle's "Impossible" made it through to the Final 20! I was really worried about this song not even making it through the first round as while I do love it, I had to protect other favorites - but glad that Chris & Lily were able to come through for this song! And even Elliott too even though Chris advanced it before him. :giggle: I remember Shontelle had a really cute hit with "T-Shirt," which I really liked but she came back stronger with this song. Anyway, this is such a powerful, stunning and gorgeous song that I do really love from Shontelle. Although a pet peeve of mine is how in the UK it's probably known as James Arthur's song/single but NOPE, This was Shontelle's song first. We all know that here. 😘 Ooh and I also get Rihanna "Unfaithful" vibes from this song.... does anyone else? Anyway, "Impossible" is beautiful. I love the subtly of Shontelle's delivery but she tells such a powerful story throughout this song! I love how she sings the start of the song:

I remember years ago
Someone told me I should take
Caution when it comes to love
I did, I did

Right from those opening lyrics, I'm already hooked into what she's got to say here! But then I reallly love how Shontelle sings the pre-chorus and chorus of the song that goes:

And now, when all is done, there is nothing to say
You've gone and so effortlessly
You've won, you can go ahead, tell them 

Tell them all I know now
Shout it from the rooftops
Write it on the skyline
All we had is gone now
Tell them I was happy
And my heart is broken
All my scars are open
Tell them what I hoped would be
Impossible, impossible
Impossible, impossible

SO beautiful! :omg: :wub: The second verse is really strong as well. I especially love the part where Shontelle sings:

Falling out of love is hard
Falling for betrayal is worse
Broken trust and broken hearts
I know, I know

Then I love how the bridge repeats the first half of the opening verse. That part of the song is so powerful it needed to be sung and mentioned twice! She also repeats it at the very end of the song too. I love all of those big powerful vocals that Shontelle brings towards to the end of the song. She connects so well with the emotion of the song and yeah it's all rather bone chilling! :omg: I do love "Impossible" and am so glad it was able to make it through to the Top 20! I'm really curious to see how this can rank. I don't see it as a true contender to win but not as an early boot either. It could maybe make the Top 10 or just miss out? I have no idea but hoping it does well!

ANDY

Wow I totally forgot this song even existed, I’m so glad it had enough fans to push it to the top 20. Beautifully catchy, gorgeous vocals from Shontelle, and love the message of the lyrics.

RICHARD

Definitely one of the better one-hit wonders I’ve heard. Shontelle’s voice is so rich on the track, especially when she goes low in the verses. I’m not 100% in love with the synthy production in the chorus, but overall, I do like the anthemic quality behind it. Overall, it’s a good song.

11. EMPIRE STATE OF MIND – JAY-Z FEAT. ALICIA KEYS

a89c80d8d8654387d5f2cec6be02722d.800x800x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 4

ANDY: 5

LILY: 5

ALEX: 6

NICO: 7

WALLACE: 8

AKSHAR: 11

DIANA: 11

RICHARD: 13

CHRIS: 14

QK: 14

GIGI: 17

STEVEN: 17

DEREK: 19

ANDY

yaaaay I was worried this wouldn’t make it to the final vote as it missed out on 2009. As a NYC fanboy, I was obsessed with this song when it came out and love it now. It’s so joyous and catchy. I may or may not know every single lyric lmao

ALEX

As someone who spends a lot of time in NYC I’m beyond tired of this song…but I also somehow still like it lol

WALLACE

jay-z-alicia-keys.gif

I'm really glad that Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys' collaboration of "Empire State of Mind" made it to the Top 20 here! I was reallly wanting to see a Jay-Z (lead) song make it to the Final 20 at this stage but it seemed to have never worked out. I know I could have as I nearly did advance "Big Pimpin'" in the 2000 round voting round but that didn't happen. But "Empire State of Mind" is a fantastic song and I love what both Jay-Z and Alicia Keys bring to the song. Also I know it's weird for someone from Massachusetts loving and stanning this song but.... I can make some exceptions! 😘 I do love everything about this song - from the music production, Jay-Z's rap flow/delivery, Alicia's singing on the chorus and just the general feeling of this song. Some of my favorite parts from Jay in the first verse are where he raps:

I'm the new Sinatra, and since I made it here
I can make it anywhere, yeah, they love me everywhere
I used to cop in Harlem – hola, my Dominicanos (Dinero!) 

Me? I'm out that Bed-Stuy, home of that boy Biggie
Now I live on Billboard and I brought my boys with me 

I be spiked out, I could trip a referee
Tell by my attitude that I'm most definitely from

Then Alicia slays and really brings it in the chorus with that super catchy and infectious part that goes:

In New York (Ay, aha) (Uh, yeah)
Concrete jungle (Yeah) where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do (Yeah) (OK)
Now you're in New York (Aha, aha, aha) (Uh, yeah)
These streets will make you feel brand-new (New)
Big lights will inspire you (Come on) (OK)
Let's hear it for New York (You welcome, OG) (Uh)
New York (Yeah), New York (Uh) (I made you hot)

It's such an anthemic feel to it! :bobo: 

Some of my favorite parts from Jay-Z's 2nd verse are where he raps:

Catch me at the X with OG at a Yankee game
I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can
You should know I bleed blue, but I ain't a Crip though 

Yellow cab, gypsy cab, dollar cab, holler back
For foreigners, it ain't fair, they act like they forgot how to add
Eight million stories out there in the naked
City, it's a pity half of y'all won't make it
Me? I gotta plug Special Ed, "I Got It Made"
If Jeezy's paying LeBron, I'm paying Dwyane Wade 

Statue of Liberty, long live the World Trade
Long live the king, yo—I'm from the Empire State, that's

Jay-Z's third verse is probably my favorite verse of his throughout the song.

Lights is blinding, girls need blinders
So they can step out of bounds quick, the side lines is 

Then gradually become worse – don't bite the apple, Eve! 

City of sin is a pity on a whim
Good girls gone bad, the city's filled with them
Mami, took a bus trip, now she got her bust out
Everybody ride her, just like a bus route 

Came here for school, graduated to the high life
Ball players, rap stars, addicted to the limelight
MDMA got you feeling like a champion
The city never sleeps, better slip you're a Ambien

Slay it, Jay! :bobo: Then I also really love the bridge that Alicia sings that goes:

One hand in the air for the big city (Oh)
Street lights, big dreams, all looking pretty (Oh)
No place in the world that could compare (Nah)
Put your lighters in the air, everybody say
"Yeah, yeah" (Come on, come on)
"Yeah, yeah" (Come on)

Those yeahhhh yeahhhhh parts are everything, especially! :bobo:

This is such a great song from Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, and again, veryy happy to see this making it through to this Final 20! I hope it can do and rank well but I'm not exactly sure how well it can do. Hopefully it does well enough to avoid showing up in the first set. I'd love to see this make Top 10 but that probably won't happen - I think it could show up around the 2nd or 3rd set of songs posted but we shall see.

RICHARD

First relisten, this didn't do anything for me, but I listened again and realized I didn't give it enough credit. I'm not in love with the rap sections, but the production on this is some of the better production in the top 20. And despite Alicia being given a sort of basic melody, she definitely owns it.

STEVEN

I don't dislike this song; I'm just completely indifferent about it. Maybe you have to be from New York to really have an appreciation for it? Alicia sounds great here though.

10. KING OF ANYTHING – SARA BAREILLES

134c393db40a06858676021e804826d4.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 3

AKSHAR: 5

DIANA: 5

STEVEN: 7

QK: 8

DEREK: 9

ALEX: 10

CHRIS: 10

LILY: 12

ANDY: 14

REI: 14

RICHARD: 14

GIGI: 19

WALLACE: 20

STEVEN

Sara sounds lovely here, and I like the meaning behind the song too. It's got a very pleasant yet catchy feel to it. The hand claps along with the piano instrumentation in the chorus is a nice touch. It's just a very enjoyable listen.

ANDY

The production itself is a little “waiting in the dentist’s office” for me, but I absolutely love the message of the song and it’s not bad by any means. It’s definitely catchy! Love Sara overall

RICHARD

Compared to her other decently big hits like “Love Song’ and “Gravity,” this one isn’t quite as memorable for me, but it’s still a pretty solid song. I like the piano backing, and Sara’s voice shines through like always.

WALLACE

2hbLBF.gif

"King of Anything" isn't really a song that I really remember or care for from Sara Bareilles. It's a nice song... but I guess it just never really stood out much to me when it was out or amongst the songs I know from her. :ph34rwave:Sara does sing it nicely and vocally she never does wrong. From the chorus, I do like the part where she sings: Who died and made you king of anything?

The music video is kinda cute and I like those parts where she's kinda jamming along. :haha: Since "Love Song" won for the 2008 round, I feel like Sara's got a lot of support to do really well. Not sure if I see this song winning but I can still see it making it to at least the Top 12.

9. THE ONLY EXCEPTION – PARAMORE

7ab914c50e33df9b509461c4bc95c4d0.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

DIANA: 1

ALEX: 3

QK: 5

RICHARD: 6

GIGI: 7

NICO: 10

CHRIS: 12

AKSHAR: 14

DEREK: 15

LILY: 15

REI: 15

WALLACE: 16

STEVEN: 20

ANDY

One of my all time favorite songs from one of my all time favorite albums. Absolutely devastating and made even sadder by the fact that Hayley refuses to sing this song anymore. Apparently it was written about a really abusive ex, which isn’t surprising because there’s an air of despair throughout the whole song. I don’t expect to rank this high but I’m glad Alex helped me get this to the final vote.

ALEX

These lyrics definitely border on generic, but Hayley absolutely sells it with her heartfelt performance and powerful vocals.

RICHARD

I can’t say I love this as much as “Brick By Boring Brick,” but I can see how its commercial viability made it the bigger hit. It was a refreshing change of pace for the band; much softer and more vulnerable. The video for this is really nice, too.

WALLACE

original.gif

"The Only Exception" is a really beautiful and moving song from Paramore. When I saw that Paramore had some songs eligible for this rankdown, I had a strong feeling this would make it through and I was not wrong. I do really like this song so I'm happy to see Hayley Williams and the boys get some representation here - even though I was reallly pulling for another Hayley collabo to make it through - "Airplanes" with B.o.B (which would have been my #3), but it wasn't meant to be. 😭 Anyway, this is a very beautiful and pleasant song. Hayley sounds gorgeous on the opening verses and sings such an emotional story here. I love there part where she sings:

And my momma swore
That she would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist

The chorus is kinda repetitive but it's reallly easy to learn and Hayley sings it beautifully!

But darling
You are the only exception

❤️

From the second verse, I do love the part where she sings "lived" in that falsetto note. Then I like how she sings: Because none of it was ever worth the risk with some slight angst to it. 

The bridge is another really beautiful and powerful part that I love how Hayley sings it there:

I've got a tight grip on reality
But I can't let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream
Oh-oh-oh-oh

So good and powerful! :omg: "The Only Exception" is a really stunning and beautiful song. I am sure this will do really well although it's so hard to predict how well it will do.

STEVEN

I feel bad ranking this one last. While listening to all these songs, this one just felt like it dragged on too long and I was ready for it to end before the halfway point. Sorry to the fans.

6 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Kesha in the top 8 even without Elliott, yaaaaaaaay

And Telephone! 

If Telephone doesn't make Top 5 or if it come 2nd, I blame Elliott!

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

12: Aww I felt like "Impossible" was the little engine that could so I'm really glad it was able to make it to the Top 12 here! I didn't even think it would make the finals but so glad it did. Ageed with Steven's and Andy's comments here. :yes: Although I'd like to think of Shontelle as a 2-hit wonder as "T-Shirt" was kind of a hit. :haha:

11: Love "Empire State of Mind," so I'm really glad it made it to #11. But darn just one spot off from making the Top 10. SO close. :dead: This is such a great jam. I demand to hear Andy's version right now. :giggle: LOL I can get Alex being tired of it too. :lmao:

10: Oooh I was right about "King of Anything" making it to Top 10 but then changed my mind to saying Top 12, ugh me for that. :dead: I can get the love for this and it making it so high despite never really caring for it.

9: Oooh I'm quite surprised seeing "The Only Exception" showing up as I thought this would have made the Top 8 or so. Beautiful song from Paramore so definitely not surprised seeing it making it to 9th. Also I'm shook seeing Diana ranking this #1 over Taylor. 😮 I wasn't expecting that. Oooh didn't know the backstory on the song, so thanks for sharing that, Andy. All so sad to hear. :( 

My remaining #s: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13. Ooh yay 6 Top 10s and then high Bottom 10s. Do love all of these songs so will be happy with whatever wins!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, *Chris said:

No major complaints with these reveals.

Gaga with 3 in the Top 8?  Yasss Gaga!

She did that two years in a row! IMPRESSIVE! :omg: 

Though I'm ready for one of those to show up next set, which I'm sure will be obvious. :haha: :ph34rwave:

20 minutes ago, *Chris said:

And Telephone! 

If Telephone doesn't make Top 5 or if it come 2nd, I blame Elliott!

Ugh I was really relying on Elliott to help out "Telephone," so I'm sad it won't do as well. 😭 But hopefully it can rank well and can still make Top 4.... but seems harder to do now.

Some #1s and #20s have been revealed so I'll post those below. Still lots of #1s remaining. 😮

#1s revealed (3): Steven, Andy, Diana
#1s left (11): Akshar, Alex, Chris, Derek, Gigi, Lily, Nico, QK, Rei, Richard, Wallace

#20s revealed (11): Chris, Derek, Gigi, Alex, Lily, Rei, Akshar, Richard, Diana, Wallace, Steven
#20s left (3): Andy, Nico, QK