Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

15. Rocketman

Brody-Rocketman.jpg

10.5/15

Watch Trailer

@.Rei - 6/15

@*Chris - 6/15

@Steven_ - 6/15

@goofycilla90 - 10/15

@*Diana - 10/15

@Alex95 - 10/15

@Deeee - 13/15

@1234567890 - 13/15

@FrogLenzen - 13/15

@Elliott - 14/15

@totes4totes - 15/15

Rei

Loved this

Alex

I think a lot of people had low expectations for this coming right after "Bohemian Rhapsody". However, I think this righted a lot of the wrong of BR. It was brutally honest at times, which a biopic should be. As an Elton John fan, I loved hearing all the songs and I thought Egerton did an amazing job.

Dee

wow a completely okay movie!

Derek

I feel like an Elton John movie shouldn't be this generic, idk.

Megan

This is a fine movie. I would not have had it in the Top 15 over HUSTLERS. SMH!!!!!!!!!

14. Captain Marvel

190307-captain-marvel-ew-545p.jpg

10.3/15

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 3/15

@Elliott - 6/15

@Deeee - 8/15

@Steven_ - 9/15

@goofycilla90 - 11/15

@1234567890 - 11/15

@.Rei - 12/15

@*Diana - 12/15

@Alex95 - 12/15

@FrogLenzen - 14/15

@*Chris - 15/15

Megan

I'd say that this is my bias ranking, but I think that really underscores how much I f*cking love Captain Marvel and how Brie Larson really surprised me in her role here. I know that nobody is reading this in the same order that I am writing this but if Short Term 12 hasn't been revealed yet you can see how much I've really loved Brie Larson for years before Captain Marvel was released, and yet when Brie Larson was announced as the lead I was a little underwhelmed. Just because the roles I had really enjoyed Brie Larson in and the image of Captain Marvel I had in my head didn't really match. But honestly, I should have known better than to second guess Brie Larson who turned out amazing. I feel like Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain Marvel doesn't really get the praise I think it deserves. And I know that's partially because it was coming off the heels of the very critically (and deservedly) acclaimed Wonder Woman, but Captain Marvel spoke to me more. I feel like Brie Larson nailed the role in terms of both the power and the humor that role needs. All this to say that Brie both surprised me in the role and as a Captain Marvel superfan I was deeply satisfied by both Brie and the movie itself. (And if this were a write-up just on the movie I'd opine all day about how Captain Marvel really feels much more like a movie made to appeal specifically to women as opposed to Wonder Woman and that Birds of Prey: The Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn beats both Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman on that metric but that's for another longer write-up. Suffice to say. Captain Marvel is incredible and make Carol Danvers gay!)

Dee

Brie Larson gives one of my favorite superhero performances ever. This film is just a very good time.

Rei

Not a bad film but I was disappointed when I saw it.

Alex

A perfectly average Marvel movie. Not one I'd call particularly memorable, but also not terrible.

Derek

Sorry, Megan... you get Birds of Prey for 2020 but not this one

13. It Chapter Two

190827144656-it-chapter-two-exlarge-169.jpg

9.4/15

Watch Trailer

@1234567890 - 2/15

@goofycilla90 - 3/15

@Elliott - 3/15

@*Diana - 4/15

@FrogLenzen - 10/15

@*Chris - 12/15

@Steven_ - 12/15

@totes4totes - 13/15

@Deeee - 14/15

@.Rei - 15/15

@Alex95 - 15/15

Megan

FINE. Not nearly as good as the first. But FINE.

Dee

wow a not-so-good movie!

Rei

I've never watched it, ranking it here by default.

Alex

One of my least favorite movies of the year. I wasn't crazy about It but it didn't take itself too seriously and I had fun watching it. This one was just miserable. Nearly 3-hours long with nothing interesting to say, and nothing interesting happening. Bill Hader's performance was way too good for this trash.

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2019 - 15-13 Posted)

tumblr_psbqa6j7Dm1qjvfkco2_540.gifv

I didn't expect Rocketman to rank last out of this Top 15. I thought it was a great biopic. It was creative how Elton John's music was featured, and Taron's performance was excellent. 

I liked Captain Marvel. It's not one of my most favorites of the MCU, but it was good.

I haven't seen It Chapter Two.

12. Marriage Story

MarriageStory_MS2.jpg

9.0/15

Watch Trailer

@.Rei - 3/15

@FrogLenzen - 3/15

@Alex95 - 3/15

@*Diana - 5/15

@totes4totes - 9/15

@*Chris - 10/15

@Elliott - 11/15

@Steven_ - 11/15

@1234567890 - 14/15

@goofycilla90 - 15/15

@Deeee - 15/15

Rei

Loved this

Derek

robbed in the full rankdown

Alex

Lolz I didn't expect this one to be so polarizing. Anyways I'm a Noah Baumbach stan and I can't resist a movie that is just acting catnip. ScarJo and Driver and tremendous here and I thought I would be bored, but I was entertained the entire time.

Megan

I feel that this was devastating but also a tad overrated.

Dee

wow a horrible movie!

11. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

99125233ab382002123cc0e2443f396ec1-portrait-of-a-lady-on-fire.jpg

8.6/15

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 1/15

@Alex95 - 2/15

@Deeee - 5/15

@*Chris - 5/15

@*Diana - 7/15

@FrogLenzen - 7/15

@.Rei - 13/15

@Elliott - 13/15

@Steven_ - 13/15

@goofycilla90 - 14/15

@1234567890 - 15/15

Megan

I thought I already had an honorary write-up of this movie done in the films rankdown and was a little surprised to see that I didn't! That sucks for me because it takes me a long time to write up all my feelings regarding this movie and now I'm gonna have to figure out some way to put it into coherent thought.

I kind of dragged my feet to watch this. Especially so because it felt like every queer woman in my life was like "have you watched this movie" and I was like "not yet but I plan to" for like 6 months. First, I waited all the way until it was out on Hulu (which was in 2020 I am pretty sure) and then I waited until I felt like I was so numb from the pandemic that I could finally watch it without being in full-blown devastation just from hearing the chords of the theme music. That was a good decision because instead of crying the entire movie I could watch it.

If you've not seen it I would recommend it (obviously). From just a cinematography standpoint the entire movie is just beautiful. I've literally read whole articles on just the way they had to find new ways to light the movie to film it in the low lighting of candlesticks and fireplaces. The world is framed so intimately and almost haunting at times inside the house that it almost creates a voyeuristic feeling that we shouldn't be able to see this love story unfolding, that this is something private the viewer is intruding on. Add that to the wonderful performances by Noémie Merlant as Marianne and Adèle Haenel (noted lesbian) as Héloïse and brilliant directing from Céline Sciamma (herself a lesbian) and you've got a love story for the ages. You know that these women cannot be together in the end and that is what makes it all the more heartbreaking and important as you watch them fall in love with each other.

But what makes this movie stand out from the other countless love stories is that while the core of the movie is between star-crossed lovers who we know will be ripped away from each other by circumstances beyond their control (namely Héloïse's impending marriage to a nobleman as befitting of a lady of her societal stature) the movie also explores themes of women's freedom from men, even if it is just for a brief period of time and about how women care for other women away from the eyes of men that tend to control their fate. This is exemplified in the "B-plot" of the movie deals with the housemaid Sophie (played by Luàna Bajrami) and her attempts to have an abortion aided by the two lovers and this plot culminates in the titular "lady on fire" shot when the three of them in celebration join a bonfire held by what we can assume are more of the same women sneaking away from the men in their lives to have this moment of sorority together.

Anyway, I won't spoil the ending of the movie. But it made me cry for like minutes! And I'm glad that this made it past the final vote because if it hadn't I would have REFUSED TO SUBMIT A RANKING IN PROTEST. Now I'm expecting it to hit like #14 because I'm sure that only Dee and I will rank it high.

Alex

Oof not two of my top three taking a hit before the top 10. I guess one of the most beautiful love stories ever told can't compete with some pokemon movie :dead:. Anyways, I hope all these low rankings are just because it's underseen, it's truly the most moving film of 2019. I haven't seen it more than the first time I watched it just because I'm afraid I won't have the same experience the first time I watched it. Love everything about it.

Dee

A perfect film.

Rei

I've never watched it, ranking it here by default.

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home

spider-man-far-from-home-review_1562164095569.jpg

8.4/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 1/15

@Elliott - 2/15

@goofycilla90 - 5/15

@1234567890 - 6/15

@.Rei - 7/15

@Steven_ - 8/15

@Deeee - 11/15

@FrogLenzen - 12/15

@*Chris - 13/15

@Alex95 - 13/15

@totes4totes - 14/15

Rei

Good film but not one of the best marvel movies.

Dee

How in the hell did this movie make it in? As a fan of this movie, it is just good. That is all. 

Derek

I kept thinking this was Spiderverse and that's why it was in the finals...

Alex

I saw the first one and I enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to the second one! It came into theaters and I think I was really busy so I just never got around to see it. I figured I'd wait till it streamed somewhere. Today is September 15th, 2021 and that day has still not come. And yeah I know I could find it ~other places~ but I'm not gonna risk JAIL TIME for a Marvel movie that should just be on Disney+

Megan

This is fine. I'm not really into the MCU Spider-Man movies. Sorry Elliott and Victoria. I just think there's more that MCU can do with lesser known teams and characters and Into the Spider-Verse has shown that there can be really interesting and cool Spider-Man movies still to be made and this was not it!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2019 - 12-10 Posted)