Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

9. Pokémon Detective Pikachu

MV5BZTNmOGE1ZmQtYjZmYy00MDhkLThkZjYtNzkyZDYxNTA5ZTE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@.jpg

8.3/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 3/15

@.Rei - 4/15

@Steven_ - 4/15

@1234567890 - 7/15

@Elliott - 7/15

@goofycilla90 - 8/15

@Deeee - 10/15

@*Chris - 11/15

@FrogLenzen - 11/15

@totes4totes - 12/15

@Alex95 - 14/15

Rei

Loved this

Dee

As a massive Pokémon fan that adores this movie, why is it here? You all just said f*ck 2019 right? :dead:

Derek

I never expected this to make the finals lol. Why didn't they end the movie with the father helping the son catch a partner pokemon???????????????????????????

Megan

Despite the fact that this movie caused me to cry for like 15 solid minutes at the end I would not have had this in the Top 15 over HUSTLERS.

Alex

I assumed this was fodder and never would've expected it to make it to the end, let alone top 10. I've never been into Pokemon in my life so I can't imagine caring about this movie, for nostalgic or artistic purposes.

8. Booksmart

booksmart-FEATURE-1600x900-c-default.jpg

8.3/15

Watch Trailer

@Deeee - 2/15

@*Chris - 3/15

@totes4totes - 5/15

@goofycilla90 - 6/15

@.Rei - 8/15

@FrogLenzen - 8/15

@Elliott - 9/15

@Alex95 - 9/15

@1234567890 - 12/15

@*Diana - 14/15

@Steven_ - 15/15

Dee

One of the greatest comedies of the last two decades.

Megan

This was so funny. I'm glad it snuck into this Top 15. Because I really enjoyed myself watching this movie.

Rei

I liked this film a lot

Alex

I didn't expect to be on the lower end for this movie. I'm glad to see it sneak in at the last second (despite the fact that it was over movies I prefer). I think it was a rather unique take on the teen comedy. For such a progressive movie, the teacher/student romance plotline is jarringly out of place and almost kills the movie for me tbh. But I can look past it and enjoy the rest of it.

7. 1917

1917.jpg

8.2/15

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 2/15

@FrogLenzen - 2/15

@Alex95 - 6/15

@goofycilla90 - 7/15

@1234567890 - 8/15

@*Diana - 8/15

@*Chris - 9/15

@totes4totes - 10/15

@Elliott - 12/15

@Deeee - 12/15

@.Rei - 14/15

Derek

robbed in the full rankdown

Alex

One of the most thrilling theater experiences of my life. The direction was genius and I was so stressed on the edge of my seat the entire time. I rewatched it a few months ago and honestly, it doesn't have much rewatch value. But it still did its job and I still love it!

Megan

I AM A SUCKER FOR WORLD WAR I MOVIES.

Dee

Another World War movie! Riveting!

Rei

I've never watched it, ranking it here by default.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2019 - 9-7 Posted)

I'm a Pokémon fan, but I was still surprised I ended up enjoying Detective Pikachu as much as I did. But I do think it's a movie for Pokémon fans. I'm not sure if people unfamiliar with the franchise would like it much.

I haven't seen Booksmart, but I don't think it's my type of comedy based on the trailer. 

1917 was incredible. The cinematography was superb and made it easy to be absorbed in the story by making it seem like it was all done in one take. Although it was a harrowing film, it was an overall thrilling movie-watching experience.

to be fair to 1917 @Deeee there is actually a dearth of World War I movies compared to World War II. In the past decade there have been like four World War I movies (War Horse, Wonder Woman, and They Shall Not Grow Old in addition to 1917) and pre-2011's War Horse the only other real additions to World War I film canon is Lawrence of Arabia, Paths of Glory, and All Quiet on the Western Front. There of course are some not so good movies between Lawrence of Arabia and War Horse, but in terms of the raw numbers, well World War I movies can all fit on a single Wikipedia page while WWII breaks out into basically separate Wikipedia pages for each decade, there are probably as many WWII movies made since 2010 as there are World War I movies made since...well WWI. (Same with books as well).

I will say I don't enjoy either 1917 nor War Horse nearly as much as They Shall Not Grow Old. But in terms of the World Wars, I think there is still a lot that can be put to screen (and literature) regarding World War I because the narratives have never been as clean or as tidy (for obvious reasons) as World War II.

ANYWAY. Sorry for this long explanation. But I, like a middle-aged Dad, am very interested in World War I. This isn't to change your mind or anything. But more to clarify the discrepancies in the amount of entertainment media focused on WWI in comparison to WWII. You know in reflection as our world hurdles towards WWIII.

• Like 1

i woke up to 44 notifications lmao. now I know why haha. welp, my bad but like you couldn't have thrown my ranking in the public at least? lmao. I feel more bad for my sister since she cares and i really don't lol

she has been busier than I working 2 jobs, watching my kids and going back and forth to the hospital take care of our mom

oh well it's just the an Internet game

6. Us

26us-theories-superJumbo-v2.jpg

8.1/15

Watch Trailer

@Deeee - 3/15

@Elliott - 5/15

@FrogLenzen - 6/15

@totes4totes - 7/15

@Alex95 - 7/15

@*Chris - 8/15

@goofycilla90 - 9/15

@*Diana - 9/15

@1234567890 - 10/15

@.Rei - 11/15

@Steven_ - 14/15

Dee

Lupita Nyong'o is sublime. One of the best horror films ever made.

Megan

Great. Not as outstanding as Get Out but still fantastic.

Alex

Lupita invented acting in this movie. It's definitely a step down from Get Out, but I still loved it a lot!

Rei

Lupita rocked the performance but i was underwhelmed with the movie 

5. Avengers: Endgame

avengers-endgame.jpg

7.7/15

Watch Trailer

@goofycilla90 - 1/15

@.Rei - 2/15

@1234567890 - 4/15

@Elliott - 4/15

@Deeee - 7/15

@Steven_ - 7/15

@FrogLenzen - 9/15

@totes4totes - 11/15

@Alex95 - 11/15

@*Chris - 14/15

@*Diana - 15/15

Rei

Epic film

Dee

The excitement and emotion behind this film makes up for any of its shortcomings. Definitely love this film. 

Derek

bumping this down because I don't necessarily want it to win... but it was certainly a historic movie event and not a bad film considering

Megan

A good ending to what essentially was the Iron Man saga of the MCU. I hope this means that now we can get to weirder more adventurous MCU stuff coming out that we were leaning towards in the last chapter. And it seems like with Shang-Chi (which I am hoping to see on Saturday since it came out when I was too busy doing other stuff to see opening weekend) that's where they are headed.

Alex

I enjoy Marvel movies for what they are. I'm not someone who's deeply obsessed with them, but I have a nice time seeing them. So that's how I feel about this one, like most of them. It was a fun night at the movies, not something I'm thinking about days later.

4. Toy Story 4

6162d3d4-60c3-4671-83b2-102b16dbcfd5-TOY-STORY-4_ONLINE_USE-p504_129a_pub2.pub16.2346.jpg?crop=2980,1676,x470,y0&width=2980&height=1676&format=pjpg&auto=webp

7.1/15

Watch Trailer

@*Diana - 2/15

@1234567890 - 3/15

@goofycilla90 - 4/15

@*Chris - 4/15

@.Rei - 5/15

@totes4totes - 8/15

@Alex95 - 8/15

@Deeee - 9/15

@Elliott - 10/15

@Steven_ - 10/15

@FrogLenzen - 15/15

Rei

A solid Toy Story entry but nowhere as flawless as the previous three films.

Megan

Even though it was unnecessary after how neatly Toy Story 3 tied it all up, this was still an excellent movie.

Alex

I went into it completely expecting to hate it for how unnecessary it was, but I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't even come close to matching the quality of the first three, but it was a great movie and I loved the theme of moving on. Also Christina Hendricks was amazing and Gabby Gabby is such an underrated Pixar character.

Dee

Wow a Disney movie made the finals? IDF loves its PG Disney movies. The worst one of the series and yet it ranks ninth because the horrible choices you all made.

Derek

good movie out of context, has good new characters... but with context it is dumb and pointless and shouldn't exist

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2019 - 6-4 Posted)

I haven't seen Us, but I'm not much of a horror fan. 

Avengers: Endgame was cool. It was a fun watching it in the theaters as the audience was very enthusiastic. The crowd cheered when Captain America wielded Mjölnir and some people shouted "Wakanda Forever!" when Black Panther reappeared. It seemed like that was common in theaters across America, but it threw me off as I've never been part of a theater crowd that animated. :haha: So many years building up to this film was pretty exciting too.

I'm one of the lowest ranks for a Disney film? 😮 🙈 But yeah, Toy Story 4 was just unnecessary – especially since Toy Story 3 ended so perfectly.