𝐖𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝

RTV

This interview is from 2015.

http://www.rnbjunkieofficial.com/2015/11/wendy-moten-interview.html

Here are four of the questions Wendy answered.

Terrance: How do you feel about reality TV? If offered, would you do it?
Wendy: Well, reality tv is king today. I don't watch it really, but, I would do a show.
My thoughts: Apparently Wendy "didn't know how to play this game" because she hadn't watched The Voice previously.

Terrance: Who were your musical influences growing up?
Wendy: Aretha Franklin is my #1, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day, Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick, Anne Murray, Julie London and tons of other singers worldwide and we don't even have time to discuss all of the bands I love...

Terrance: Take us back to "Come In Out of the Rain." That was a pretty big hit for you.
Wendy: It was such an honor for that song to go as far as it did. It was written by Curtiss Boone from Detroit, MI. Awesome songwriter and friend.
It made a connection with the people and for that I'm grateful.
Secret: My vocal, in this song, is the demo. I tried recording it a few times after the demo, but I couldn't beat my performance, so we kept it. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Terrance: Unlike many artists, you're one that can't be boxed as you've tapped into an array of sounds from R&B, Pop, Jazz, Country and Rock. Is there a genre you haven't done you'd like [to] try?
Wendy: Thank you so much for noticing. I think I've tried all of the ones I wanted to. I've done some Theater work in my youth and most recently I had to sing some Appalachian style singing and a few Emmylou Harris songs. It freaked people out a little. But, I love changing my voice sometimes.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Now I’m picturing Wendy singing “A Broken Wing” in the Lives

I could see this happening too! I'd add Concrete Angel, Go Rest High On That Mountain as well. Though she could sing anything. Like give her Barney, Baby, ABC's and she will still slay bad song choices. Now I rather her not sing them no but I would kinda die in laughter if it really happened. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RTV said:

Terrance: How do you feel about reality TV? If offered, would you do it?
Wendy: Well, reality tv is king today. I don't watch it really, but, I would do a show.
My thoughts: Apparently Wendy "didn't know how to play this game" because she hadn't watched The Voice previously.

Wow, what a full circle moment. 😮 Thanks for digging this up! 

2 hours ago, Persy said:

I could see this happening too! I'd add Concrete Angel, Go Rest High On That Mountain as well. Though she could sing anything. Like give her Barney, Baby, ABC's and she will still slay bad song choices. Now I rather her not sing them no but I would kinda die in laughter if it really happened. 

Ooh, I’ll add “Concrete Angel.” There’s never too much Martina. 😘

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Ooh, I’ll add “Concrete Angel.” There’s never too much Martina. 😘

Thank you! It's actually my favorite one from her and always makes me cry. Maybe Anyway as well?

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, Wendy’s KO has become my all-time favorite KO. She’s followed very closely by Kyla Jade. 

This might be a polarizing song suggestion (mostly minivan wise 😬), but I would love to hear Wendy sing “Black Like Me” by Mickey Guyton. I’ve wanted someone to cover the song because of the message behind it but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a very popular song choice with certain parts of the audience. I just loved the emotion Wendy put into her KO performance and think she could easily deliver on a message-driven song

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueNight13 said:

Unsurprisingly, Wendy’s KO has become my all-time favorite KO. She’s followed very closely by Kyla Jade. 

This might be a polarizing song suggestion (mostly minivan wise 😬), but I would love to hear Wendy sing “Black Like Me” by Mickey Guyton. I’ve wanted someone to cover the song because of the message behind it but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a very popular song choice with certain parts of the audience. I just loved the emotion Wendy put into her KO performance and think she could easily deliver on a message-driven song

Maybe save that particular country suggestion for the finale night so it’s less of a move that’ll hurt her odds with those “certain parts” of the audience? Idk.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Maybe save that particular country suggestion for the finale night so it’s less of a move that’ll hurt her odds with those “certain parts” of the audience? Idk.

That’s kind of what I was leaning towards as well. I could see them closing the finale with her singing that (if she ever did), kind of like how they closed with Rose’s “Border Song.” Who knows how it would impact her chances, but we have a fair amount of great storytellers this season so I’m interested in how live shows song choices go 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

Wendy Nation, what do we think about the song Maybe by Janis Joplin for Wendy? I recently heard Miley’s cover of Maybe and thought that it could potentially be a good song for Wendy to sing!

Ooh, that's definitely an interesting pick. I think it could work though. Wendy can sing anything after all. :haha: 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BlueNight13 said:

I would LOVE for her to sing that too! 🖤 That's actually one of the first songs on the suggestion list. It is definitely message-driven and one that will tug at the heartstrings. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

That makes sense. She would definitely have a moment there. That song just screams "moment."

37 minutes ago, BlueNight13 said:

That’s kind of what I was leaning towards as well. I could see them closing the finale with her singing that (if she ever did), kind of like how they closed with Rose’s “Border Song.” Who knows how it would impact her chances, but we have a fair amount of great storytellers this season so I’m interested in how live shows song choices go 

I could see her closing the finale too. We have a long way to go though, so we'll just have to wait and see. :haha: We do have a lot of storytellers, but can they match Wendy's vocal ability? 🤔

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 1

https://www.actionnews5.com/2021/10/26/wendy-moten-takes-knockout-round-the-voice

Memphis's own Wendy Moten delivered a powerful performance on "The Voice."

Wendy channeled the Queen of Soul and fellow Memphis native Aretha Franklin for her showdown in Monday night's Knockout Round.

After working with coach Blake Shelton and superstar mentor Ed Sheeran, Wendy went head-to-head with Jonathan Mouton belting out "Ain't No Way."

Wendy earned high praise from all four judges and will stay alive in the competition.

MJ Santilli's live blog:

Wendy is so beyond The Voice. But she's here, because her career never took off. And that's the way it is sometimes. She has an incredible instrument. Her performances are effortless, like singing is second nature to her.

Ariana says Wendy blew it out of the water. She'd have to give the Knockout to Wendy. John likes the subtleties and the big notes in Wendy's voice. All the judges have compliments for Jonathan. But Wendy is the clear winner. "I think you have to give it to Wendy," says Kelly. Wendy chokes up, as she thanks the coaches. Blake says Jonathan blew him away. But "the only problem... is that Wendy blew the building away." He expects to see her in the finale.

GoldDerby live blog:

Next Wendy takes the stage and easily belts out one of the hardest songs to sing in pop music history. Kelly looks like she's grinding her teeth and can barely even handle the vocals coming out of Wendy. All the coaches give her a standing ovation. It's no surprise that Blake chooses Wendy as the winner. He fully expects to see her in the finale.

Charlie Mason's TVLine recap:

After sharing what an inspiration Aretha Franklin was to her, Wendy blew away Ed so much with her practice run-through that his only suggestion was that she hold the mic rather than leave it in the stand. She was and is that good.

From the jump, she redefined control, building, building, building to a chorus that was so freaking powerful and perfect, it damn near squeezed tears out of my jaded old eyes. Simply staggering! Grade: A+

Lyndsey Parker's Yahoo Entertainment recap:

Meanwhile, Wendy's cover of Aretha Franklin's "Ain't No Way" was pure fire from the first verse, and she brought the heat throughout. So, of course, Wendy prevailed.

Maggie Fremont's ew.com recap:

Oh, buddy, Wendy Moten was already a lock for the live playoffs before she picked this tear-the-house down Aretha Franklin song so sorry, not sorry but Jonathan really had no chance here.

As Ariana Grande points out, Wendy doesn't toss the original out the window, but she does make this her own. She also asks Wendy to hold some meet-and-greet passes for her and Kelly when she goes on tour. She's a pro and she knows how to milk every note of this song to highlight her voice. Blake thought Jonathan really rose to the occasion here, but he also simply congratulates Wendy on finally getting her time to shine by being on this show. You know exactly which way this is going.

Jill O'Rourke on TalentRecap:

Wendy Moten Blows the Coaches Away Again on Team Blake

During Monday's show, Team Blake artist Wendy Moten continued to prove herself as a frontrunner in this season's competition.

The coaches were visibly amazed by Wendy's performance. Their jaws dropped and they stood up to cheer her on.

Unsurprisingly, Blake Shelton chose to keep Wendy on his team, meaning Jonathan was unfortunately eliminated.

Mark Franklin's idolchatteryd.com recap:

Jonathan opened a very strong performance a cappella, which did an excellent job of drawing listeners in. But it was forgotten by the time Wendy finished her vocal gymnastics. Blake said he expects to see her in the finale. If she keeps performing like that, it will be a well-deserved spot in the finale.

Edited by RTV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2