𝐖𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝

RTV

3 hours ago, RTV said:

Yeah, and the last three sentences of that quote probably explain why she didn't want to stay in the country lane on The Voice. I'm still hoping for at least one country performance during her run, though.

Yeah, she probably wants to showcase her versatility. I do hope she tackles a country song at one point though. 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I'd be surprised if she doesn't do one.  Her album had an interesting take on country, including classics that weren't the usual suspects and also Ode to Billy Joe and Faithless Love, a Linda Ronstadt song written by J.D. Souther. I'd be really interested to see what she'd select and what she'd do with it.

That was such a good album! :wub: I loved her take on the songs.

Jared Boyd (program manager for WYXR 91.7 FM) interviewed Wendy about her career in Japan for this 09/14/20 article in a daily online newspaper.

As pandemic hobbies go, perhaps I’ve chosen a bit of a money pit.

I’ve switched from driving a fairly modern, sporty sedan, in favor of two pre-loved vehicles of some considerable age. Both cars, one a rustic Toyota pickup and the other a long-bodied, luxurious Lexus, represent an earnest attempt by one Japanese corporation to reinvent what Americans feel about our ideals, as consumers.

This cross-cultural conversation is a phenomenon, not only in the automotive industry, but in music.

Ask Memphis-bred pop/soul vocalist Wendy Moten, whose early-1990s contract with EMI Records became a springboard for a long-lasting musical exchange with Japanese audiences.

Signed to the label by the company’s former vice president of promotions Dick Williams, Moten’s Whitney Houston-esque appeal made her an attractive candidate for Williams’ comrades at affiliated label EMI Music Japan, then-known as Toshiba EMI.

“They decided, ‘Hey, she’d be a great artist for us,’ so they extended my record deal across the Asian markets. That started a long relationship,” Moten, 55, said in a phone interview from her home in Nashville.

For nearly eight consecutive years, Moten made routine trips to Japan for spot dates, including regular gigs with a 10-piece band at the Blue Note Tokyo nightclub and several television variety show appearances.

“One of my songs was a theme song for a television show. I did a traditional Japanese EP, singing duets with another artist. The more I’d go over there, the more opportunities would pop up. And I really enjoyed the culture,” Moten said.

Just as Toyota engineers spent the ’80s and ’90s channeling the enthusiasm Americans held for Detroit-assembled pickup trucks into what would eventually become the brand’s Tacoma and Tundra, Moten says Japanese soul and jazz fans have studied American music enough to no longer need American musicians to perform for them in-person.

“They do their homework as fans, they studied and they know,” Moten said.

“In the ’90s, there was still a slight fascination with American music: Black soul music, blues, jazz, whatever it is…. But over time, in the 21st century, they’ve developed their own artists who sing these styles of music, and they’re great. Because they’ve studied. They’ve found a way to perfect it, on their own.”

In fact, Moten says she was nervous about making a good impression, when tasked with covering a popular Japanese-language number for a live television audience, in front of the song’s original performer.

“It was like paying tribute to her. That was a little nerve-wracking, because I’m singing Japanese and the artist was sitting in the audience. You hope that the inflections are correct,” Moten said. “But it was pretty interesting. I loved it, actually.”

Back home, Moten became a spokesperson for Memphis International Airport’s partnership with Northwest Airlines before its merger with Delta Air Lines, promoting international travel via one of Memphis’ best global ambassadors: music.

“Wendy Moten ... truly is an international singing sensation, bringing awareness to our city while working solo or with some of the biggest stars in music,” Memphis Tourism president and CEO Kevin Kane wrote in a statement via email.

“She has always represented her hometown with pride, and enjoyed a tremendous following across Asia. When Northwest Airline was focusing on growing non-stop service throughout Europe and Asia, she served as an American music ambassador along with The Beach Boys and other artists, taking the Memphis sound around the world to promote tourism in our city.”

While she’s called Nashville home for nearly 25 years, Moten says many among the Japanese-connected American artists she knew set up outposts in Asia, looking to it as a “utopia,” where Black musicians were given dignified roles in the performing arts and recording industries.

“Economically, they could make a great living, there was plenty of work and they were respected, as men and women, as musicians, and as Black American artists,” Moten said.

“Plus, all the technology was being born there: the newest keyboards, the newest technology… everybody was looking toward Japan for that.”

But things have changed. And we have technology to thank for that.

“It’s a natural progression. And I’m glad that (Japanese soul musicians) have advanced. They’ve taken some of our ideas, though we all learn from each other, but they’ve perfected (those ideas) in a way that serves them,” Moten said.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/article/16815/wendy-motens-japan-asia-following-fans

• Thanks 1

My song choices for Wendy. Please someone ask her to sing these at the live shows. 😊

1. Purple Rain - Prince

2. Left Outside Alone - Anastacia

3. Queen of the Night - Whitney Houston

4. I'm a Winner - Diana Ross

5. There You'll Be - Faith Hill

6. You Light Up My Life - LeAnn Rimes

Edited by Nezz
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, greattoamazon said:

saw somebody in her insta suggest wendy to sing barbra streisand the way he makes me feel, i think it's great idea to showcase her voice and emotion but has a little room to improvise i think

Ooh yes, I’m love to hear her sing some Barbara. I added the suggestion. Would you like to be added? 

2 hours ago, Nezz said:

My song choices for Wendy. Please someone ask her to sing these at the live shows. 😊

1. Purple Rain - Prince

2. Left Outside Alone - Anastacia

3. Queen of the Night - Whitney Houston

4. I'm a Winner - Diana Ross

5. There You'll Be - Faith Hill

6. You Light Up My Life - LeAnn Rimes

Omg, these are all so great! I added them all - thanks for suggesting. ;) Would you like to be added?

10 hours ago, RTV said:

In fact, Moten says she was nervous about making a good impression, when tasked with covering a popular Japanese-language number for a live television audience, in front of the song’s original performer.

“It was like paying tribute to her. That was a little nerve-wracking, because I’m singing Japanese and the artist was sitting in the audience. You hope that the inflections are correct,” Moten said. “But it was pretty interesting. I loved it, actually.”

Ok- she slayed this. It was vocally perfect and I loved her energy on stage. I haven’t heard the original, but I’m sure she did it justice! 😊

4 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Ooh yes, I’m love to hear her sing some Barbara. I added the suggestion. Would you like to be added? 

Yess.

Consider she may be hurt  by profesional thing issue, the best way to counter is doing very vulnerable ballad like that or going to orchestrated humanity songs like birdy version of people help people or the rascals' people need to be free. im even imagining these song with children choir and black life matters video background

and im not sure i can handle the " there's no chill and yet i shiver" coming from wendy😆

Edited by greattoamazon
  • Thanks 1

Both of these ladies are amazing vocalists! There is a 16-year age gap between the two:  Wendy was born 11/22/65; Jennifer Hudson was born 09/12/81. Jennifer is singing in a higher key while remaining seated. It seems the majority of the comments contrasting their performances favor Wendy's rendition, and so do I.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RTV said:

Both of these ladies are amazing vocalists! There is a 16-year age gap between the two:  Wendy was born 11/22/65; Jennifer Hudson was born 09/12/81. Jennifer is singing in a higher key while remaining seated. It seems the majority of the comments contrasting their performances favor Wendy's rendition, and so do I.

Wow! Both queens killed it here! It’s so hard to state a preference. 

23 hours ago, greattoamazon said:

Yess.

Consider she may be hurt  by profesional thing issue, the best way to counter is doing very vulnerable ballad like that or going to orchestrated humanity songs like birdy version of people help people or the rascals' people need to be free. im even imagining these song with children choir and black life matters video background

and im not sure i can handle the " there's no chill and yet i shiver" coming from wendy😆

Added! I love these song suggestions too. She could have such an empowering moment with one of those songs.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, MusicMedicine said:

She is amazing. My favorite voice ever on The Voice. I can’t wait to see her live!

It has been worth waiting 21 seasons to discover Wendy via The Voice. ☺️
 It has been 3 loooong months waiting to watch her slay on live tv and it’s almost here. November can’t come fast enough🤞

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MusicMedicine said:

It has been worth waiting 21 seasons to discover Wendy via The Voice. ☺️
 It has been 3 loooong months waiting to watch her slay on live tv and it’s almost here. November can’t come fast enough🤞

Wendy is one of the artists I’m particularly excited for in the Lives. It would be a great opportunity to show her versatility, and she can deliver some great performances. I can say that she is one of the best vocalists that has ever been on the show, and I can see her in the finale, especially with Blake as her coach. He’s done really well with R&B artists in recent seasons. 

• Like 5