Bad performances that you actually enjoyed?

Dai

10 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

a let down after her excellent Playoffs week, but i st

Weak performance, but still somehow enjoyable. I wish she would have made it farther but she was clearly not ready. 

I wouldn't call this a bad performance. She was basically pitch perfect and hit some great notes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MILO JAY said:

sure it was pitchy, but this was still so good to me. like she is obviously the most talented vocalist this season imo

I’m sorry, but I have to speak out on this. It was proven that she couldn’t  stay on pitch even in the pre-lives, so she shouldn’t even be in that conversation. 

33 minutes ago, MILO JAY said:

Is Morgan's WTWNNIL considered a bad performance, because it is my favorite performance from her (besides the crazy arm movements LOL)

No, that performance was very good. That’s a perfect example of people inventing reasons to say it wasn’t good. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

No, that performance was very good. That’s a perfect example of people inventing reasons to say it wasn’t good. 

Exactly.

There's nothing wrong about that performance, in fact it was one of the best Knockouts of the season. Imo

• Like 2

There have been many performances from my favs that I enjoyed, but I thought they were technically weak or underwhelming or you could say boring.

Bad, however, is a very strong word. I'm not sure if there's any performance that fits the title of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Exactly.

There's nothing wrong about that performance, in fact it was one of the best Knockouts of the season. Imo

It demonstrates the power of coach criticism. If Gwen hadn’t said anything about “arm movements,” I doubt we’d even be talking about it. Morgan is one of the best performers ever to be on that show, but people expected something Grammy worthy every time she hit the stage. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

It demonstrates the power of coach criticism. If Gwen hadn’t said anything about “arm movements,” I doubt we’d even be talking about it. Morgan is one of the best performers ever to be on that show, but people expected something Grammy worthy every time she hit the stage. 

She's one of the most talented vocalists we've ever had. Period.

BTW, it was so fun rooting for her here. I remember getting amused reading IDF's thoughts on her performances. Someone even called her semi final performance "Very Pitchy" lol, but in reality it's one of the best semi final performances of all time. Moreover, I was just listening to her duet with Bryce yesterday, and I thought it's one of the best duets I've seen on this show. But people on the live thread still commented like it was a trainwreck. lmao

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

BTW, it was so fun rooting for her here. I remember getting amused reading IDF's thoughts on her performances. Someone even called her semi final performance "Very Pitchy" lol, but in reality it's one of the best semi final performances of all time. Moreover, I was just listening to her duet with Bryce yesterday, and I thought it's one of the best duets I've seen on this show. But people on the live thread still commented like it was a trainwreck. lmao

Yes, I agree with everything you said here. It was very frustrating, as it was this past season, as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

And we, Morgan's fans, were the "toxic" ones :P

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m sorry, but I have to speak out on this. It was proven that she couldn’t  stay on pitch even in the pre-lives, so she shouldn’t even be in that conversation. 

oh i didnt know that. where/how was it proven?

13 minutes ago, MILO JAY said:

oh i didnt know that. where/how was it proven?

Because Blake said so! :haha:

I’m not going to go back and listen to her performances, but I thought I remembered hearing some pitchy notes. 

I’m sure she’s a decent vocalist, but she didn’t get the chance to prove it live, so we can only speculate. We saw what happened to NOIVAS. 

Saying people were expecting Grammy performances out of Morgan everytime hence their dissappintment with her is a tad hyperbolic, no?

every contestant has their detractors. Some of us simply didn't see her as the best everynight in relation to other contestants, and yeah,  a few of us thought she had a few vocal issues in some of her performances.

But you'd be hard pressed to find someone thinking she wasn't one of the best vocalists of S22.

Anyways, Morgan doesn't belong in a thread like this unless you're talking about TEOTH. Probably the only performance of hers unanimously agreed on here to be a mess.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Saying people were expecting Grammy performances out of Morgan everytime hence their dissappintment with her is a tad hyperbolic, no?

every contestant has their detractors. Some of us simply didn't see her as the best everynight in relation to other contestants, and yeah,  a few of us thought she had a few vocal issues in some of her performances.

But you'd be hard pressed to find someone thinking she wasn't one of the best vocalists of S22.

Anyways, Morgan doesn't belong in a thread like this unless you're talking about TEOTH. Probably the only performance of hers unanimously agreed on here to be a mess.

I think people have different tastes, and invent “vocal issues” but that’s just me. I can accept that she might not be your cup of tea. It’s no big deal. 

51 minutes ago, CocoaPuffs said:

I remember people were acting like this was bad 😭 

I know that nowadays we are supposed to hate "cursive singing" as if it is the worst thing that has happened to music, but i honestly have liked a lot of performances and songs with that style (including this one)

14 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I think people have different tastes, and invent “vocal issues” but that’s just me. I can accept that she might not be your cup of tea. It’s no big deal. 

I mean, not saying it's what you're saying. But when you say "invent" it kinda sounds like you think we're making it up to find something to critique just cause she's not to our taste. 

I tend to point out things that to me, sound slightly off vocally and am sure a few others do too. But I doubt anyone here (including myself) is a vocal expert so more often then not we're probably wrong about these things. I do know I wasn't the only one to do it with Morgan though, and were just going off what we think we hear. Im pretty sure I and a few others were in the minority though.

I think the only non-TEOTH Morgan performance with notable issues was “If I Were A Boy” but that was only on a couple parts like the first line of the bridge. But little mistakes like that should be considered negligible especially when you nail the rest of such a tough song.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I think the only non-TEOTH Morgan performance with notable issues was “If I Were A Boy” but that was only on a couple parts like the first line of the bridge. But little mistakes like that should be considered negligible especially when you nail the rest of such a tough song.

Yeah that was mainly the other performance I was thinking of. 

I do agree mistakes like those are negligible in the grand scheme of things but when we do stuff like rankings and ratings I do take it into consideration. Still, I think she was more mistake free than almost every other contestant that season.

yeah i mean i did find WTWNNIL to be a little odd because her approach to a song about love was so aggressive. it’s not even entirely her fault because camila told her to do more gestures and stuff but overall it was a little off putting to me compared to other more heartfelt covers of the song.

that being said i do not nominate it for this list.

off the top of my head, i liked unstoppable (brynn, pitchy) and alone (cait, pitchy).

i think i tend to not love performances by favorites that are subpar (cami’s “the joke”, allegra’s “overjoyed”), but there are some performances where i just disagree that they’re bad in the first place (allegra’s “chandelier”, gihanna’s “she used to be mine”).

i do need to relisten to hello sunday and Kat to get a better grasp on how much i like them now.

11 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

i think i tend to not love performances by favorites that are subpar (cami’s “the joke”, allegra’s “overjoyed”), but there are some performances where i just disagree that they’re bad in the first place (allegra’s “chandelier”, gihanna’s “she used to be mine”).

I feel sorry for people who think Allegra's Chandelier was bad, it's one of my favorite covers of that song now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Did people really think Allegra's Chandelier was bad? Some people complained about enunciation, but I don't remember anyone calling it "bad."

Someone put it as their least favorite of the season recently 😭 but I do think some would argue that the fact that they couldn’t understand the lyrics meant that it was bad. Unfortunate.

• Haha 1