The Voice Winners by Genre

disney1024

The Voice Winners by Genre

Country (7):

• Cassadee Pope (Season 3: Blake Shelton)
  • Danielle Bradbery (Season 4: Blake Shelton)
  • Craig Wayne Boyd (Season 7: Blake Shelton)
  • Sundance Head (Season 11: Blake Shelton)
  • Chevel Shepherd (Season 15: Kelly Clarkson)
  • Jake Hoot (Season 17: Kelly Clarkson)
  • Todd Tilghman (Season 18: Blake Shelton)

Win Percentage: 36.84%

Pop (6): 

• Tessanne Chin (Season 5: Adam Levine)
  • Jordan Smith (Season 9: Adam Levine)
  • Alisan Porter (Season 10: Christina Aguilera)
  • Brynn Cartelli (Season 14: Kelly Clarkson)
  • Maelyn Jarmon (Season 16: John Legend)
  • Carter Rubin (Season 19: Gwen Stefani)

Win Percentage: 31.58%

R&B/Soul (4):

• Javier Colon (Season 1: Adam Levine)
  • Jermaine Paul (Season 2: Blake Shelton)
  • Josh Kaufman (Season 6: Usher)
  • Chris Blue (Season 12: Alicia Keys)

Win Percentage: 21.05%

Folk (1):

• Sawyer Fredericks (Season 8: Pharrell Williams)

Win Percentage: 5.26%

Rock (1):

• Chloe Kohanski (Season 13: Blake Shelton)

Win Percentage: 5.26%

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some interesting observations:

• The only male pop singer to win is Jordan Smith.
  • All of the country girls/women who won were young (Cassadee was 23, Danielle 16, Chevel 16).
  • All of the country men who won were considerably older (Craig 34, Sundance 37, Jake 30, Todd 41).
  • The only teenage boy to ever win was Sawyer Fredericks.
  • No African-American teenagers have ever won the show.

Also, @Bk1234 - I'd argue that she was both country and pop/pop rock. It's hard to categorize her. She did Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, and a bunch of pop rock stuff - and then transitioned to Miranda Lambert, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Sheryl Crow, and Faith Hill for the last few episodes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bouli said:

The only teenage boy to ever win was Sawyer Fredericks.

And Carter Rubin. 😉 

1 minute ago, Bouli said:

Also, @Bk1234 - I'd argue that she was both country and pop/pop rock. It's hard to categorize her. She did Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, and a bunch of pop rock stuff - and then transitioned to Miranda Lambert, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Sheryl Crow, and Faith Hill for the last few episodes.

That’s true, she’s an interesting one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I thought she was Pop on the show. 

Yeah, she sang a few country songs, so people just roll with it. 

Only Danielle, Craig, Chevel and Jake were actually country singers prior the show, during the show, and after the show. Well, I’m not really sure about Danielle, prior to the show, honestly. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

Todd is not country, and I don’t think Javier is R&B (at least based on his song choices during his run).

And you can’t really box some of them in only one genre. Alisan did folk, country and rock in addition to pop, plus Josh sang more pop than soul imo (he blended both together most of the time tho).

• Like 4

Cassadee and Todd were a mixture, they weren´t full country on the show. Cassadee was mostly pop-rock and Todd was mostly soul, and both of them sang  a few country songs on there. Sundance was more country than them, but even he himself had a soulful side (he did Otis in his blind and flipped an Alicia song in the lives).

Danielle, Craig, Chevel and Jake were the only winner that stuck  strictly with country throughout the whole season.

Also, I would consider Sawyer folk, not blues. 

If Carter wins this season, which I think he will, we will have another addition to the pop list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Only Danielle, Craig, Chevel and Jake were actually country singers prior the show, during the show, and after the show. Well, I’m not really sure about Danielle, prior to the show, honestly. 

5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t think Danielle was much of anything before the show. She was the first non-recruited winner and she didn’t have any performance experience to speak of. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bouli said:

Out of all 18 of the winners, Cassadee was by far the most ambiguous bc her pre-live and live performances were completely different. Before the live shows, she was pop/pop-rock and, during the lives, she was mostly country. But since she signed with a country music label after the show and had a few country hits on the Billboard charts (e.g. Wasting All These Tears), I ultimately chose to classify her as a country artist and not a pop artist. 😅

Edited by disney1024

56 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Todd is not country, and I don’t think Javier is R&B (at least based on his song choices during his run).

And you can’t really box some of them in only one genre. Alisan did folk, country and rock in addition to pop, plus Josh sang more pop than soul imo (he blended both together most of the time tho).

That's absolutely true. When categorizing the winners, I simply chose the genre that they primarily sung and represented. It's possible for a singer to sing songs in another genre. For example, Kelly Clarkson is considered to be a pop/pop-rock singer but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't nail a country song. 😉

With regards to Todd, I would definitely argue that he's mostly a country/country-rock singer since most of his performances were within that genre. 😌

With Javier, however, I'm not entirely sure bc I didn't watch the first season. Lots of his work after the show was R&B and soul music but he sung a lot of pop songs during season 1, albeit with soul vibes (as mentioned by CeeLo Green during the blinds). But his battles song was "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King, which is a R&B/soul song. So how should I classify him then? 🧐

Edited by disney1024

44 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Cassadee and Todd were a mixture, they weren't full country on the show. Cassadee was mostly pop-rock and Todd was mostly soul, and both of them sang  a few country songs on there. Sundance was more country than them, but even he himself had a soulful side (he did Otis in his blind and flipped an Alicia song in the lives).

Also, I would consider Sawyer folk, not blues. 

I fixed that, thanks ☺️

With regards to Cassadee and Todd, when categorizing the winners, I simply chose the genre that they primarily sung and represented. I already explained how I determined Cassadee (see previous posts). For Todd, I would definitely argue that he's mostly a country/country-rock singer since most of his performances were within that genre. 😌

Edited by disney1024

17 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

With regards to Todd, I would definitely agree that he's mostly a country/country-rock singer since most of his performances were within that genre. 😌

I would say he’s a CCM singer. Only three performances of his are country.

11 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I would say he’s a CCM singer. Only three performances of his are country.

Out of 8 performances he delivered in total, only one of his performances was CCM ("I Can Only Imagine"). 4 of his performances were country (including his original song) and the other 3 were rock. Also, after winning The Voice, Todd shared with fans that he eventually plans on recording country music, hopefully with the help of his coach, Blake Shelton. That's why I ultimately classified him as a country artist and not as an artist in another genre. 🧐

Edited by disney1024

Todd performed as a whole:

"We´ve got Tonight" (soft rock)

"Ghost in this House (country)

"Anymore" (country)

"Glory of Love" (power ballad)

"Love, Me" (country)

"I can Only Imagine" (CCM)

"Authority Song" as a duet with Blake (rock)

So yeah, I´d say Todd was a soulful/CCM/country/soft rock singer on the show. He didn´t really follow a predominant lane there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Todd performed as a whole:

"We´ve got Tonight" (soft rock)

"Ghost in this House (country)

"Anymore" (country)

"Glory of Love" (power ballad)

"Love, Me" (country)

"I can Only Imagine" (CCM)

"Authority Song" as a duet with Blake (rock)

So yeah, I´d say Todd was a soulful/CCM/country/soft rock singer on the show. He didn´t really follow a predominant lane there.

You forgot his original song "Long Way Home", which is definitely a country song. Plus I'm assuming that him being on Team Blake appealed to Team Minivan and other country fans regardless of whether or not he was a true country artist. 😌

Also, after winning The Voice, Todd shared with fans that he eventually plans on recording country music, hopefully with the help of his coach, Blake Shelton. That's why I ultimately classified him as a country artist and not as an artist in another genre. 🧐

18 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

Out of 8 performances he delivered in total, only one of his performances was CCM ("I Can Only Imagine"). 4 of his performances were country (including his original song) and the other 3 were rock. Also, after winning The Voice, Todd shared with fans that he eventually plans on recording country music, hopefully with the help of his coach, Blake Shelton. That's why I ultimately classified him as a country artist and not as an artist in another genre. 🧐

The thing with CCM though, is that it encompasses all genres. You can be a CCM singer who sings pop or a CCM singer who sings country, etc.  The defining feature is the lyrical content, not the style of the music. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bouli said:

This is precisely why I classified her as country. Before the live shows, she was pop/pop-rock but, during the lives, she was mostly country. However, since she signed with a country music label after the show and had a few country hits on the Billboard charts (e.g. Wasting All These Tears) afterwards, I ultimately chose to classify her as a country artist and not a pop artist. But, again, she was by far the most ambiguous artist out of all of the winners. 😅

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Danielle prior to the show was nothing she hadn't sung anything anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 4:59 PM, QueenKalie said:

Danielle prior to the show was nothing she hadn't sung anything anywhere.

That not true.  She once sang under her family's dinner table because she was too shy to let people to watch her sing.  🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, eidi said:

Fun fact: this show haven't ever crowned an AA woman (and I highly doubt this will change unfortunately)

Toneisha Harris was quite close as she came in 2nd place in season 18. Who knows, maybe Tamara or DeSz will win season 19. Only time will tell... 🤷🏽‍♂️