Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Still no huge issues with these results...

Before Your Love— Pretty song and she sounds great on the vocal, but it’s a little boring for me. I’m glad they used “A Moment Like This” as her actual winning song during the finale. 

Wrapped In Red— Christmas aside, this is just a gorgeous song. It lost some points for me because during the holiday season my work plays Xmas music 24/7 and the Kelly Clarkson songs are on constant rotation.  :haha: 

Mr. Know It All— This would not have been my pick from that last group of songs to advance to the finals, but it is still super-catchy.

FINAL STANDINGS PART THREE

15. People Like Us (2012, prod. by Greg Kurstin, written by Blair Daly + Meghan Kabir + James Michael)

Album: Greatest Hits - Chapter One

AngryObviousCougar-small.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #65 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #17 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #7 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #28 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Like_Us_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 13

Gigi: 18

Andy: 20

Steven: 17

Sola: 3

Wally: 15

Anne: 20

Elliott: 5

QK: 12

Tom: 14

Chris: 17

JC: 2

Kaley: 7

Lily: 7

Amanda: 17

Andrew: 5

Denise: 16

Priscilla: 17

Victoria: 19

Final Average = 12.842

COMMENTS

On 10/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, miss denise said:

I love what an anthem this song is and how it projects such a sense of love and community for us all. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif It has a wonderful message about unity and the sound of the song fits that, as well.

"Oh, people like us we've gotta stick together Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever"

I love that. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif The lead up into the chorus is also so magnificent and flawless!

"We are all misfits living in a world on fire, Oh woah oh oh woah oh, Sing it for the people like us, the people like us" :bobo: 

I just love the encouragement and optimism in the song. It's so uplifting!  Oh, and the bridge is also a bop in a different way from the rest of the song. Love her fast singing there. And she obviously slays on the whole thing!

On 10/1/2020 at 7:16 PM, sublymonal said:

Gay anthem, we stan.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, taylorkat said:

I like it, but rarely listen to it.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, *Lily said:

This song deserved better! Truly an anthem!

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, #jeah said:

Hmmmm. Not a favorite lol. It’s not bad, the message is really awesome and I’m happy Kelly made a very clearly pro-LGBT song. I just don’t listen to it ever lol.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, *Wallace said:

AngryObviousCougar-size_restricted.gif

I kind of have an interesting relationship with “People Like Us.” I do really like the song as a whole but there are times where I like it more than others. When the song was out, some of the chorus would bug me a bit - like whoa whoa ooh ooh parts. I don’t know why but it just did. :lmao: It doesn’t bother me as much now, thankfully. But all of that will give “People Like Us” a #15 ranking. This song has a really good encouraging and empowering message that I appreciate and of course Kelly delivers it in such a fantastic way. I do like the pre-chorus part of the song where she sings:

PoliteComplicatedGalapagossealion-small.

Then I do like some of the chorus of the song, where she sings:

We are all misfits living in a world on fire

Sing it for the people like us, the people like us

:bobo:

Also Kelly with the little girl and  helping her out to feel more positive is really sweet and nice to watch. But yeah the song has a great anthemic feel to it and i love how she has this feisty attitude in the bridge. I do like this song. Although if we had to have a Greatest Hits: Chapter One representative, I wish it could have been “Catch My Breath,” but it’s not something I’m upset over.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:44 PM, *Chris said:

Super fun song but not my favourite of hers - I know a lot of people love Kelly's upbeat song which is not the case for me as I tend to prefer her ballads. 

On 9/30/2020 at 11:43 PM, JC said:

Honestly these top songs were impossible to rank because I love them all so much. She honestly is top with Rihanna on how hard it is to rank her top 21. I just want to tie like 10 songs at 1. This is an epic song that moved up my rank because I could not rank it lower.

14. The Trouble with Love Is (2003, prod. by Evan Rogers + Carl Sturken, written by Kelly Clarkson + Evan Rogers + Carl Sturken)

Album: Thankful

Kelly_Clarkson_-_The_Trouble_With_Love_I

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #31 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #22 (Single)

US Top 40 Tracks (Billboard): #36 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trouble_with_Love_Is

RANKINGS:

Derek: 20

Gigi: 16

Andy: 8

Steven: 7

Sola: 15

Wally: 8

Anne: 14

Elliott: 15

QK: 18

Tom: 16

Chris: 8

JC: 20

Kaley: 11

Lily: 3

Amanda: 3

Andrew: 12

Denise: 19

Priscilla: 14

Victoria: 15

Final Average = 12.737

COMMENTS

Nice, but I don't return to it often.

I would like to remind the class of Clark Beckham's version.

Such a classic song that never fails to fill me with nostalgia as soon as the music starts. I love this soulful side of Kelly's voice, and she sounds fantastic on this.

"Love can be a many splendored thing, can't deny the joy it brings" heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif 

Ugh, so good.  This song doesn't necessarily come to mind when I think of my all-time favorite Kelly songs, but it is great lyrically, vocally, and everything. I still love it. 

Thankful as a whole is a pretty dated album, but the highlights are pretty timeless and “The Trouble With Love Is” is definitely one of those high points. The first time I heard this I thought Kelly was covering some old soul song from the 60s or something, it has that classic sound to it and Kelly gives an incredible vocal performance here. Also kind of in love with Clark’s performance of this song on AI lol so it gets a few points for that too.

Absolutely love her vocals on this song, and I find the song to be super underrated. 

On 9/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, ~Tom~ said:

Meh. Never been a favorite of mine.

Loveee this song. So much soul! Another one I'm not sure about how well it'll do but I'm glad I got it to the final round, it's one of my favorite arrangements/vocal performances of hers.

Kelly's voice is gorgeous but this is from her original album which is a little slower tempo and a bit boring compared to Kelly later as her career blossoms. You can tell that Idol/whoever was in charge of her first album really wanted her to be boring, and I am so glad that once she had more freedom, her later albums were SO MUCH BETTER.

tumblr_o82iubnBje1qzdd7ao5_250.gifv

I love the R&B and soulful side of Kelly and am always here for that side of her, of course. I always feel like “The Trouble With Love Is” is one of Kelly’s most overlooked and slept on singles, and is a song that I felt always deserved better. So I’m happy that Lily advanced this into the finals. I always loved this song but I always forget how much I do until listening to it. “The Trouble With Love Is” will get my #8 spot. I love the soul and passion Kelly sings this song with and it’s just so soulful and soo good. ❤️ This song kinda reminds me of something she would sing where she was a contestant on American Idol. It has this classic soulful vibe to it! :wub: I am already hooked from the first half of the first verse where she sings:

Love can be a many splendored thing

Can't deny the joy it brings

A dozen roses, diamond rings

Dreams for sale and fairy tales

:wub:

I really love the chorus where she sings:

The trouble with love is

It can tear you up inside

Make your heart believe a lie

It's stronger than your pride

The trouble with love is

It doesn't care how fast you fall

And you can't refuse the call

See, you got no say at all

Then from the second verse, I really love the parts… wait I love that whole verse. :dead: I won’t quote it all but the stand out parts to me are where Kelly sings:

Now I was once a fool, it's true

I played the game by all the rules

I'm sadder, but I'm wiser too

I swore I'd never love again

I swore my heart would never mend

SO GOOD. ❤️ Ooh but then that bridge is SO. GOLDEN.

Every time I turn around

I think I've got it all figured out

My heart keeps callin' and I keep on fallin'

Over and over again

This sad story always ends the same

Me standin' in the pourin' rain

It seems no matter what I do

It tears my heart in two

:omg:

Ooh this song is in support of the classic Love, Actually movie which is cool. I haven’t seen that movie so let’s not talk about that. But yeah I am very happy “The Trouble With Love Is” is in the finals. I don’t expect it to rank well, like missing out in the Top 12 or so, but I would love to be proven wrong!

13. Irvine (2007, prod. by David Kahne, written by Kelly Clarkson + Aben Eubanks + Jimmy Messer)

Album: My December

My_December_Album.PNG

US Billboard 200: #2 (Album)

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_December

RANKINGS

Derek: 2

Gigi: 9

Andy: 13

Steven: 21

Sola: 16

Wally: 21

Anne: 7

Elliott: 12

QK: 20

Tom: 13

Chris: 12

JC: 19

Kaley: 9

Lily: 14

Amanda: 9

Andrew: 18

Denise: 11

Priscilla: 15

Victoria: 11

Final Average = 12.737

COMMENTS

This! Song! :omg:  Definitely the most haunting and chilling Kelly song. It is so unlike anything else, but that makes it all the more special.  I love the simple string arrangement with her soft vocals. It does have a slight build-up throughout, unlike most of her others which become a lot more "powerful", but the power in this one is in its simplicity to me. There is such a yearning about Kelly's vocals in this that is mesmerizing. :omg:  The lyrical arrangement of this song is also interesting, as I feel like I can identify a chorus, but she doesn't repeat the lyrics. The melody is the same and builds up a bit there though, which I love.

"Why is it so hard? Why can't you just take me?" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

The way she sings this whole song is stunning, but...

"Do you cry as I do? Are you lonely up there all by yourself? Like I have felt all my life"

Wow. Her little vocal inflections here. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif 

"How are you so strong? What's it like to feel so free?" :omg: 

Wow. Everything about this song is bone-chilling.

"Are you there watching me? Do you cry, do you cry with me?" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

Wow. Also, the hidden bonus track "Chivas" is attached to the end of this, so I think we can say that song made the finals too. :giggle:  But this is long enough, so I won't dissect that song too.

It's sad, but beautiful. 

Such a melancholy song. Beautifully written and produced. Major props to Kelly for sticking to her guns with wanting this song on the album.

I’m not the biggest of My December personally speaking (prepares for some people to come at me). :dead: That album was just too dark and intense for my taste but I do appreciate Kelly really expressing herself at this time in her life. “Irvine” has a sad & dark tone and feel to it. Kelly sells the emotion well here. She sounds pretty on this too, but the song is one note and a little boring to me.  It lacks the big vocal dynamics I love and look forward to in Kelly songs, although this song doesn’t need that. Just not one of my favorites.

Wow I'm ashamed at myself for never really listening to this! It's nothing like I've ever really heard from Kelly. I really like it.

A song that doesn't get enough credit; not my favourite in this Top 21 but I still like it well enough. 

This is a bit indie which is not my cup of tea, but I applaud Kelly for bringing something different.

I love how raw this song is but I also don't think it's one of her best or that it deserves a spot in the Top 21.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, aliasocfan said:

I feel kind of bad liking a song about basically a nervous breakdown in a bathroom, but... it is what it is.

Edited by Deeee

On 10/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, *Wallace said:

Gah one song not showing up already has me worried, lmaoo. :dead: 🙈 Hopefully it shows up on the next set.

I was going to :shiftywave: but I think I know what song it is.... and yes, it was just posted. 😢 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:09 PM, FrogLenzen said:

Ugh, I wish [song] was here instead of [other song]

:giggle: 

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, @*Wallace said:

tumblr_o82iubnBje1qzdd7ao5_250.gifv

This song kinda reminds me of something she would sing where she was a contestant on American Idol. It has this classic soulful vibe to it! :wub:

But yeah I am very happy “The Trouble With Love Is” is in the finals. I don’t expect it to rank well, like missing out in the Top 12 or so, but I would love to be proven wrong!

Love that you said this and I agree. ❤️ Also lol your prediction was nearly spot on. 

Some of you have never seen a drag queen do a shot of tequila before jumping off a support beam into a sl*t drop while lip syncing to People Like Us and it shows!!!!

Edited by Elliott

Irvine. ❤️ 

On 10/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, @miss denise said:

It does have a slight build-up throughout, unlike most of her others which become a lot more "powerful", but the power in this one is in its simplicity to me.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, @*Wallace said:

She sounds pretty on this too, but the song is one note and a little boring to me.  It lacks the big vocal dynamics I love and look forward to in Kelly songs

I was thinking of you saying something like this when I wrote my comment @*Wallace  :giggle: