Dee Watches Survivor (Currently On Kaoh Rong)

Deeee

THOUGHTS ON SURVIVOR: FIJI

Survivor_fiji_logo.png

One word: Yau-Man.

This season is truly horrid. In every single way. There were a few episodes that got really exciting in terms of gameplay, but this is easily the worst season of Survivor that I have watched. Glaringly horrific and nonsensical twists. Too many of these glaringly horrific and nonsensical twists. Haves vs. Have-Nots. WTF. The stupid fake-out merge, but then actual merge. WTF. A boring, unlikable, and insufferable cast. Most of the players are completely unseen for the entire game, with minor edits and invisibility. 

The game did pick up post-swap/merge and had one of the most intelligent counterattacks I have seen on the show - forcing Alex to play the idol and blindsiding Edgardo, which destroyed The Four Horsemen alliance.

Then there is #CarGate. 

I am firmly on #TeamYau-Man. Sorry not sorry. I do not think Dreamz is some horrible person for playing the game how he sees fit, but Dreamz is maybe the most idiotic player I have ever watched play Survivor. He made approximately zero smart decision on the show. The messiest and most chaotic player ever. LOL. I do not actually think he thought through most of the decisions he made while on Fiji. Is he one of the two interesting players from this season? Yes. When it comes to #CarGate, I think Dreamz should have never taken the deal if he wanted a chance at the money. Not that I think Dreamz had a shot at winning the money anyways after deceptively dismantling The Four Horsemen while still claiming to be on their side. But the smart thing to do would to have been honest at the reward challenge and admit to the strong possibility that this promise could not have been fulfilled. Dreamz should have left the onus of the choice up to Yau-Man, as he left himself really placed himself in the most stupid position possible:

1) He either wins immunity and gives it up to uphold his end of the bargain and seem like a decent human being, but also gets himself eliminated in the process.

or

2) He does not win immunity and still has to eliminate Yau-Man because he is the only player in the game worthy anything. 

Do I think Yau-Man fully assessed the chaotic-ness of Dreamz? No. I think the deal was a stupid idea to begin with, but Dreamz bought into an unfeasible, unachievable arrangement. Because Dreamz was only capable of scorching Earth in this game rather than logically thinking. I think Yau-Man knew that Dreamz would latch on to any plan without hesitation, since the latter only advanced so deeply in the game by last-minute keeping his name off the chopping block. At least there was some forward-thinking on the part of Yau-Man, Dreamz just wanted a car and decided to really f*ck his chance at winning the game.

I think I could even sympathize more with Dreamz if he did not start waxing poetic about commitment and staying true to his word, and teaching his future son about being honest. LOL. 

Anyways. #CarGate is the only interesting talking point of the season.

Final Tribal Council was a disgusting display by most of the jury. If I were Cassandra, I would have beat the sh*t out of the jury and knock some sense back into them. Dreamz and Cassandra had absolutely nothing interesting or compelling to say in their defense, and Earl won unanimously because he seemed like the only person with a solid argument to make?

Who cares. This season sucks. The winner is boring. I'm going to rewatch China just to make myself feel better for sitting through this mess.

CAST RANKING

1. Yau-Man Chan - Icon. Truly an icon of epic proportion. Master strategist. Challenge competition beast. First player to successfully use the Hidden Immunity Idol and in such a momentous way. I loved his friendship and ally-ship with Earl. Nobody on that island played a better game than him. Nobody won more challenges than him. Nobody defied all of the odds like he did. I know he was underestimated by all of his competitors and by every single viewer, and his masterful rise to the top of the pack was incredible to watch. A powerful reminder to constantly check your biases and stereotypes. Super adorable. Super easy to root for and cheer on in the game. The best underdog story. I loved watching him decimate The Four Horsemen alliance and successfully play his Immunity Idol. He helped successfully run the Top Six Alliance. The saving grace of the season tbh. A Survivor legend.

2. Andria "Dreamz" Herd - A chaotic mess. A chaotic mess. What a horrible Survivor player. I know many of you will probably disagree considering he did make the finals, but I really cannot say he advanced that far due to smart gameplay. Rather he just kept starting fires accidentally, or purposely, who knows, that ended up keeping him safe on a weekly basis. I am happy that he advanced so far in the competition, since I really felt like this experience meant something to him. His entire life spent homeless, I cannot even imagine. Yet he was such a positive, charismatic, and likable individual. That speaks volumes to the strength of his spirit, and I liked that we were able to hear his story and watch him experience something he never though he would. With that being said, I simply cannot believe how horribly he played this game and how poorly he defended his actions at FTC. #CarGate is the most compelling storyline of the season though. The best gameplay moment also resulted from Dreamz outing Mookie for finding the Immunity Idol. Even if his gameplay was a mess and not well thought out, I did enjoy watching him frantically try to play both sides and stay out of the fire. His pre-merge gameplay was non-existent, considering Moto won every single immunity challenge. Dreamz had a compelling storyline and I really thought if he played a less messy game, he could have won based on a combination of sympathy + underdog awesomeness + competitive ability. But he f*cked himself over by constantly running his mouth and never carefully thinking through a decision. Dreamz never played the game with a long-term mindset, and just did what he could to survive another day. In the end, this helped him advance to the finals, but was never going to allow him to win. I also think he just had trouble articulating a good argument as to why his constant chaos and deception made him a good candidate for the money. Oh well. At least he got a truck. LOL.

3. Earl Cole - Cool guy that played a shockingly honest game up until the very last elimination when he needed to cut Yau-Man before losing the competition. I liked Earl. I think he smartly controlled the majority alliance with Yau-Man. They were a loyal duo and found the two Immunity Idols. I just feel like Yau-Man was the far more impressive strategist and competitor, but Earl definitely played the game to win. And he did so by being a calm force the entire season, sticking to his alliance, and keeping around the two players that would absolutely seal his fate as the winner of the season. I just felt like he spent so much time on Exile that we hardly were able to see him play the game. He only won immunity once during the entire season. His win is just super underwhelming. His unanimous win at Final Tribal Council does not speak to his prowess as a player, but more to the misdeeds and unsatisfactory performances of those who stood beside him at the end. I think the only smart choice he made in the game was outing Yau-Man at Final Four.

4. Michelle Yi - Really nice, really sweet, a needed underdog character. I do not think she did all that much in the game, so it is hard to justify putting her this high. But given the terrible human beings and borefests that plagued this season, being a funny side-character with a harmless personality will go a long way for you. I really rooted for her, and her elimination sucked.

5. Sylvia Kwan - Fight me. Sylvia was a hoot to watch and I think she was given a raw deal on this show. Immediately forced to Exile Island and then forced to join the losing tribe? All after she helped build the camp? Not cool. I just laughed at her trials and tribulations in the game, which I felt like she handled really well. She had a funny character arc. Gone too soon.

6. James "Rocky" Reid - Obnoxious and unstable, but at least he provided entertainment that did not feel racist? LOL. The first half of the season focused on him and his toxic relationship with losing. I think he was mentally unhinged, but at least he was fun to watch sometimes. I do not like the way he came for Anthony whatsoever, I think it was super uncalled for. I also do not like that he joined the dog pile on Cassandra during Final Tribal Council. But he was at least somewhat interesting to watch? Grasping at straws here. 

7. Cassandra Franklin - I mean...she is a nice person? She navigated the game via a strong alliance and made the finals. But we almost never saw her play the game until she hopped on the bandwagon to try and out Yau-Man from the competition. Literally. She was a finalist, and had about three minutes of screen time total. The way she was treated at Final Tribal Council was disgusting though, and she did not deserve any of it. I would have made heads roll if I were her. 

8. Anthony Robinson - Probably too high of a ranking, but he was such a sweetheart that deserved better treatment than he received from Rocky. I really felt touched by his desire to not be bullied and to make an impression on the competition. I wish that we could have seen more of this storyline develop over time, and I wish he could have handed Rocky his ass more effectively. But he looked like the sane individual at the end of the day.

9. Kenward "Boo" Bernis - Default placement? His best moment was breaking the hammock. LOL. Good at the competition aspect of the game, found himself in the right alliance. Boring though.

10. Stacy Kimball - I would venture to say she behaved in a racist way on the show as well, outwardly refusing to speak to Dreamz and Cassandra. I was done with her at that point in the competition. I found her to be a boring, b*tchy sourpuss that was not ever fun in this competition. I thought that she made a smart decision in linking up with Yau-Man + co., but she clearly fell at the bottom of their list and could not figure her way out of that scenario. Meh.

11. Edgardo Rivera - The idiot that was blindsided in a perfect fashion. I loved watching his bitterness over being outsmarted by Yau-Man + co. and betrayed by Dreamz. Nothing interesting to say, but he seemed more level-headed than the guys he worked with. Just boring + bitter.

12. Mookie Lee - An idiot that gave up his Immunity Idol that he found to somebody that clearly did not know what he was doing. Outwitted. Outsmarted. Is there anything interesting to say about him? He was one of the bitter Four Horsemen. Yuck.

13. Lisette "Lisi" Linares - My favorite moment of the season is her falling on her face. That is how horrible of a person she is, and how horrible of a season this is. Lisi is just a horrible person. She should be higher for actually bringing drama to the show, but I cannot defend her racist, rude ass. She openly ignored both Dreamz and Cassandra. Coincidence? I think not. She called Liliana a "diabolical Mexican." Bitched and moaned the entire competition, and directly stated that she wanted to go home, which was pretty funny. Lisi cried on Exile Island, which was also pretty funny. Her speech at Final Tribal Council...LOL. The way she spoke to Cassandra was not okay in my opinion. I want to be able to rank her higher for being an iconic mess, but she was racist as hell and insufferable.

14. Alex Angarita - F*CK HIM. Period. The way he spoke to Cassandra during Final Tribal Council was reprehensible. What a bitter man, angry that he sucked at the game and was constantly outsmarted by Yau-Man + his alliance. Remember when he pathetically played the Immunity Idol that he himself did not find? LOL. He sucked at playing the game in my opinion.

15. Rita Verreos - I think she made me laugh once because she sat there and talked about her make-up routine in real world. But who?

16. Gary Stritesky - Papa Smurf 💔

17. Liliana Gomez - Who?

18. Erica Durousseau - I thought she had potential to be a mess, but she ended up being an early-boot bore.

19. Jessica deBen - ...

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS

ipSSli3.gif

87_3000.gif

Survivor20140305y.gif?resize=400,350

source.gif

SEASON RANKING

1. Panama - Exile Island

2. Palau

3. Vanuatu

4. Guatemala

5. Cook Islands

6. Fiji

@Elliott @#jeah @Solaris @Alex95

Fiji is horrid.

I am revisiting China to make myself feel better after suffering through Fiji and the season is still so f*cking iconic.

James being the only person to got to Barnes & Noble and read about survivalism! 

Leslie not wanting to worship Buddha. Leslie being kidnapped and spilling all the dynamics to the other tribe. Leslie hating Jean-Robert trying to cuddle with her. LOL.

Courtney sitting out of every challenge and hating the constant positivity! Her not being able to swing the sword and cut the ropes. Her being the best contestant ever. LOL.

Dave getting naked during the wrestling reward challenge. Dave fighting with Ashley constantly. Ashley calling Dave "Zoolander."

Peih-Gee desperately wanting to be the leader of her tribe so bad. 

Jean-Robert being the most wretched human. 

🤎

Edited by Deeee

Part of the reason Fiji was so bad is because 18 of the 19 cast members were recruits (only Gary applied). Earl, Dreamz and Cassandra had never even seen the show before. That said, Earl's one of my favourite winners and he's always been so close to returning before something comes up. :broken:

Re: #cargate, Dreamz wasn't winning the jury vote and knew he wasn't the jury vote. He was also homeless, and the castaways were all aware of what the payouts were. The way I see it is... he might as well get a spot in the F3 and get some extra money. Considering the game of Survivor, I'd have done the same thing if I was in his spot, tbh.

Just now, Elliott said:

Re: #cargate, Dreamz wasn't winning the jury vote and knew he wasn't the jury vote. He was also homeless, and the castaways were all aware of what the payouts were. The way I see it is... he might as well get a spot in the F3 and get some extra money. Considering the game of Survivor, I'd have done the same thing if I was in his spot, tbh.

I agree. I would have probably reneged on the deal if I were in his position as well. He needed the car. Period. He needed the extra money for advancing to the finals. That is why I had issues with both Yau-Man and Dreamz when it comes to #CarGate, since I do not think Dreamz was entirely wrong in his decision. However. I think I had more issues with Dreamz overall because he was constantly working against himself in the competition. And I also do not understand why he could not see what a poor deal he was being offered in that very moment.

His defense of the situation was just horrid too. "I came into this game knowing it's a game." UH DUH DREAMZ. Just say you were never comfortable keeping the biggest threat around and make a solid argument for yourself.

I just think Dreamz frustrated me. LOL.

5 minutes ago, Elliott said:

You're rewatching China instead of getting to Micronesia? 🙂

Is there a problem with that? Maybe I should go rewatch the first eight iconic season before Micronesia as well.  🙂

Just now, Deeee said:

Is there a problem with that? Maybe I should go rewatch the first eight iconic season before Micronesia as well.  🙂

I love China, but I obviously love Micronesia more for one very important reason :wub: