American Idol Season 18 Top 10-or-11 Spoilers

Idol Maniac

10 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

I didn't say there's no diversity.

My point is that once America gets the vote every year, white contestants skew higher than they should be.

While it's true Arthur, Francisco, and Sam ARE part of the Top 10, we don't know how far up they are. They should most DEFINITELY be the Top 3, but who knows if they are. It just goes to show how contestants of color have to be STUNNING talent to get Top 10 because these three are definitely the standouts of the season, while mediocre white contestants can also push into Top 10.

TO ILLUSTRATE assuming Jovin is the potential save...

The Top 20 had 10 contestants of color and 10 white contestants

The Top 10 they voted was 7 white contestants and 3 contestants of color

Even more outrageous, out of 8 black contestants, only 1 was put through by public vote (Just Sam)

I see what you mean.  But I think there were several factors that contributed to only Just Sam and maybe Jovin being the only black contestants put through by public vote and two other male contestants of color being put in as well, and one of the biggest is that there were six teenage belters in the Top 20 ... and four of them were of color.  And worse, one of them (Olivia) was severely affected by the coronavirus forcing her to have an intimate platform, which took her out of her game as she's the best performer of the teenage diva belters, and the intimate platform did not give her a chance to show off her performance skills.  Had there been fewer teenage diva belters, or had the coronavirus not forced the show to go to a more intimate platform, there might have been a better chance for contestants such as Olivia (and Jovin, since he also was affected by the intimate platform).

I think the 11th spot was a girl. It makes sense. The top 10 was 6 guys so to even it out they decided to put a girl in. I think the judges saved either Makayla Phillips or Julia. I’m thinking it was Makayla... that song choice was horrendous and it had no feeling. It could be Grace but she already got saved by America. I don’t see the judges saving someone as creative as Sophia and Just Sam was a shoo-in. 

I’m still a little confused. Are these the Top 11 that will sing again? Or is one of them just a guess for who the judges will save if they want to? I feel dumb but I just don’t know lol. 

Edited by Carrie_On

Just now, Carrie_On said:

I’m still a little confused. Are these the Top 11 that will sing again? Or is one of them just a guess for who the judges will save if they want to?

This is the top 10 + 1. People are just guessing who that extra wildcard spot went to. 

26 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

I didn't say there's no diversity.

My point is that once America gets the vote every year, white contestants skew higher than they should be.

While it's true Arthur, Francisco, and Sam ARE part of the Top 10, we don't know how far up they are. They should most DEFINITELY be the Top 3, but who knows if they are. It just goes to show how contestants of color have to be STUNNING talent to get Top 10 because these three are definitely the standouts of the season, while mediocre white contestants can also push into Top 10.

Should Sam be in the Top 3 based on her song choice?   She sang it well, but Fantasia's I Believe was an uninspiring and dated pick.   It did not show any thing new.  It's not the kind of performance that will generate passion votes, beyond the fan base.  And if she continues on that path, she could open the door for an all guys Top 3 finale.

8 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Should Sam be in the Top 3 based on her song choice?   She sang it well, but Fantasia's I Believe was an uninspiring and dated pick.   It did not show any thing new.  It's not the kind of performance that will generate passion votes, beyond the fan base.  And if she continues on that path, she could open the door for an all guys Top 3 finale.

Honestly, do you actually think that for example, Arthur, Francisco, Dillon, Louis and Jonny won't all just split votes at some point...I'm not convinced that 3 of them will be in Top 3 together simply because they realistically can take all take from the same fanbase...i mean, they could possibly all have huge fanbases and get the top 3, but considering they can all take from the same pile, I'm not buying that it's likely....

Edited by kenboy123

3 hours ago, mytake1 said:

But why would they Save Jovin?  The top 10 is already stacked with guys.  There's also at least 3 people of color - Arthur, Francisco, Sam.

maybe as the "older male/father" pick?

2 hours ago, redwood79 said:

Sad that Kimmy didn't make it through, and sad that the diversity that the judges meticulously set up for this year's semifinalist was throw out the window right after America got the vote.

i started some digging and this season had the highest ratio of poc in the semis since S12 (14/20) with 11/20, so it was inevitable 

16 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I’m still a little confused. Are these the Top 11 that will sing again? Or is one of them just a guess for who the judges will save if they want to? I feel dumb but I just don’t know lol. 

only one of these names were possibly saved and the rest got voted through

35 minutes ago, Blirel said:

I think the 11th spot was a girl. It makes sense. The top 10 was 6 guys so to even it out they decided to put a girl in. I think the judges saved either Makayla Phillips or Julia. I’m thinking it was Makayla... that song choice was horrendous and it had no feeling. It could be Grace but she already got saved by America. I don’t see the judges saving someone as creative as Sophia and Just Sam was a shoo-in. 

Technically Grace didn't get saved, she got voted through. 

35 minutes ago, Blirel said:

This is the top 10 + 1. People are just guessing who that extra wildcard spot went to. 

Is it confirmed that the judges will save the 11th one though? It did not say so in the post

10 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

do you actually think that for example, Arthur, Francisco, Dillon, Louis and Jonny won't all just split votes at some point...I'm not convinced that 3 of them will be in Top 3 together simply because they realistically can take all take from the same fanbase...i mean, they could possibly all have huge fanbases and get the top 3, but considering they can all take from the same pile, I'm not buying that it's likely....

When you can only vote for each contestant so many times, vote splitting isn’t really an issue. It would take all of 2 minutes to cast the same amount of votes for all five guys you mentioned, and you’re done voting for the week. You’re not taking votes from one contestant to give to another like you would be doing if the votes were unlimited.

2 minutes ago, Sept390 said:

Is it confirmed that the judges will save the 11th one though? It did not say so in the post

No, it hasn’t been confirmed. Idol Maniac’s post just said he was including who would likely be saved if they were to use it.

53 minutes ago, Elliott said:

When you can only vote for each contestant so many times, vote splitting isn’t really an issue. It would take all of 2 minutes to cast the same amount of votes for all five guys you mentioned, and you’re done voting for the week. You’re not taking votes from one contestant to give to another like you would be doing if the votes were unlimited.

Then how do you explain why of five or six teenage belters, only one made it into the Top 10?  True, they were all girls, and those who failed to move on had issues with demographics, performance skills or vocal talent before the Top 20 round, but the point remains that vote splitting did occur and it will probably occur again with Arthur, Dillon, Francisco, Jonny and Louis, though maybe not as bad as with the teenage divas.

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Then how do you explain why of five or six teenage belters, only one made it into the Top 10?

You literally answered your question: "they were all girls, and those who failed to move on had issues with demographics"

They probably didn't pick up much of a fanbase, and the casual voters are more likely to go for the men that go through than they would've been for the women.

Edited by Elliott

Thanks guys. I thought that was what was going on but wasn’t totally sure. 

In that case, I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Julia had to be saved. I’m banking on either her or Jovin. Maybe Sophia. 

4 minutes ago, holinessss said:

now that it's confirmed...i definitely think they used it on a girl maybe even makayla?

I doubt they would save Makayla tbh, it would have to be either Julia or Sophia imo, probably Julia

7 minutes ago, holinessss said:

now that it's confirmed...i definitely think they used it on a girl maybe even makayla?

if it's not Jovin....then I wanna know who voted for Jovin...if it is a girl, then it's Julia...Julia doesn't seem to be very popular either...

Just now, kenboy123 said:

then I wanna know who voted for Jovin...

if it is a girl, then it's Julia...Julia doesn't seem to be very popular either...

He's the only rock singer in the cast, and his song selections are songs that are very popular with the casual Idol fanbase.

Isn't Julia close to the top on social media streams and reactions? I'm not really following them too closely outside of the few people I'm a fan of, but @psterina could probably answer more definitively.

4 minutes ago, Elliott said:

He's the only rock singer in the cast, and his song selections are songs that are very popular with the casual Idol fanbase.

Isn't Julia close to the top on social media streams and reactions? I'm not really following them too closely outside of the few people I'm a fan of, but @psterina could probably answer more definitively.

i don't take social media as seriously as most people, but Julia usually doesn't have a lot of YouTube views...