Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

F0E3937264CC8870B9F7D6682497988586A9DD9B

10 Cloverfield Lane

In name a Spiritual Successor to 2008's Cloverfield but you don't need to know anything about that movie to understand this one. In fact, I'd recommend skipping both the original and the third movie in the trilogy and making this one essentially a standalone movie. It's directed by first time feature film director Dan Trachtenberg with a script written in part by Alex's fave Damien Chazelle and produced by the man whose name I can't say. It stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead in maybe her best performance, John Goodman in maybe his best performance, and John Gallagher, Jr who I mentioned was in Short Term 12 so maybe not his best performance. There are some other people listed in the movie including Bradley Cooper who plays the voice of Mary Elizabeth Winstead's ex-fiance so I naturally when trying to decide which movie in the final set to cut I settled upon this one. 

If you've not seen the movie, it is about Winstead's character Michelle who finds herself in the bunker of Goodman's character Howard. Along with them is John Gallagher, Jr.'s Emmett. It's incredibly clear that Howard is a paranoid man who is possessive of Michelle or at least the idea of her. And she and Emmett try to survive him and escape the bunker. Little do they know that at least some of Howard's paranoia is rooted in truth, the world is being attacked by aliens. But for Winstead's character it's clear that facing the dangers of the outside world is far preferable to the one inside the bunker. 

Any of the Top 30 would have been extremely difficult cuts, but I chose this one because there are other movies I like more. Oh well. Sorry to its fans. 

• Thanks 1

INCEPTION

MV5BMjAxMzY3NjcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI5

I find Chris Nolan overrated except for like... Dunkirk, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I hate calling people pretentious but everything about him reeks of it, so it is what it is. Anywhores, I've never really cared for Inception and while I can't say I've been actively targeting it since I was too busy focusing on Sh*tsommar, I might as well just take it out now. Inception is a sci-fi action film from 2010. As I mentioned before, it was written and directed by Christopher Nolan, and he also produced the film with his wife. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Dileep Rao, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger and Michael Caine. The basic plot focuses on Leo's character, a professional thief who steals information by infiltrating the subconscious of his targets who is then offered a chance to have his criminal history erased as payment for the implantation of another person's idea into a target's subconscious. Inception's story first came about in 2002, when Chris Nolan wrote an 80-page treatment for the film before shelving it to work on his Batman films. After the success of The Dark Knight, Warner Bros green light the film for a production budget of $160 million, plus an additional $100 million for advertising. Which is kind of humorous since like 95% of the ads were just "FROM THE GUY WHO BROUGHT YOU THE DARK KNIGHT..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, aliasocfan said:

The people responsible for cutting Midsommar are unhappy? Well this is a win. 

My confused reaction was because I didn’t see you cutting Coco. I’ve never seen it so I can’t comment on your cut. 😘

Just now, 1234567890 said:

Why wouldn’t I be if always targets in the Horror Rankdown? :haha: Unless, you told him to cut Inception which would make sense.

I know. I was more so alluding to the fact that I specifically asked him NOT to cut Get Out for once.