Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

DISOBEDIENCE

33449143_Disobedience_Poster.jpg

I'm hoping this isn't a cut that'll upset too many people. I made some promises, so my options are limited. And I'm going to post my cut now before my options become even more limited. Released in 2017, Disobedience is a romance drama starring Rachel Weisz as Ronit and Rachel McAdams as Esti. Ronit has been shunned from her Orthodox Jewish community after she showed attraction to a female friend in her youth. She has been estranged from her family, but she returns home after the death of her father. When she arrives in London from New York, she is reunited with the girl she had an infatuation with. Her name is Esti, and she is married to a man named Dovid played by Alessandro Nivola (who happens to be a childhood friend of Ronit too). During her stay, Ronit and Esti begin to have an affair. Do the two women stay together by the end of the film or not? You'll have to watch the film or read the plot summary to find out. Anyway, the film was praised by the critics. It has an 84% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and the consensus says, "Disobedience explores a variety of thought-provoking themes, bolstered by gripping work from leads Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams, and Alessandro Nivola."  A review in The Hollywood Reporter says, "Beautifully acted by Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams and Alessandro Nivola as the three points of a melancholy romantic triangle, this is a deeply felt drama that exerts a powerful grip." Rolling Stone calls it "a gorgeously acted, written and directed spellbinder...that never preaches or judges. Without dialogue, Lelio creates a whole world that can be read eloquently and movingly on the faces of two superb actresses who give unstintingly to its creation." The Guardian says, "Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams and Alessandro Nivola are at the top of their game....This is richly satisfying and powerfully acted work." Disobedience received five nominations at the British Independent Film Awards: Best British Independent Film, Best Screenplay, Best Actress (for Weisz), Best Supporting Actor (for Nivola), and Best Supporting Actress (for Adams). Alessandro Nivola ended up winning the Best Supporting Actor award. Kudos on the film's success and making it this far in the rankdown. I'm very sorry to the fans for eliminating it now.

Edited by Steven_
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Disobedience received five nominations at the British Independent Film Awards: Best British Independent Film, Best Screenplay, Best Actress (for Weisz), Best Supporting Actor (for Nivola), and Best Supporting Actress (for Adams). Alessandro Nivola ended up winning the Best Supporting Actor award.

LOL at only the man winning 

6 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

omg Dee has seen a queer film that's not Moonlight????????

Moonlight is by far the best film of the decade. But lesbians also dominated the decade!!!! Carol, Disobedience, The Favourite, Portrait, The Handmaiden, Annihilation, Black Swan!

Edited by Deeee