Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

1S1R.gif

American Hustle

ATTOTCABCM: Always take the opportunity to cut a Bradley Cooper movie. That's my brand. And therefore I am cutting American Hustle. And though I love Amy Adams, she had such a bad time on the set of this film that the only person she said she'd work with again is Jeremy Renner (and they produced Arrival which is good but not because of Jeremy Renner). But also I don't like noted SINGER Jeremy Renner (In case you thought I was joking. PLZ click this link) so this is an easy cut. It's another overrated David O'Russell movie which casts Jennifer Lawrence as like a 35 year old woman (despite being just older than me...so she's 30 now) and reunites her with Silver Linings Playbook co-star Bradley Cooper. David O'Russell has not had a good movie since The Fighter. Inspired by the Abscam operation of the 1970s, it stars Amy Adams and Christian Bale as two con-artists who work to expose corrupt politicians, most notably Jeremy Renner. The only redeeming this about this movie besides Jennifer Lawrence's and Amy Adams's performances is that Bradley Cooper was intentionally cast in a role where you are supposed to loathe him. Which honestly, just comes so naturally to I presume literally everybody that he's never been better cast. Again, I'd like to reiterate that, to my knowledge, Bradley Cooper has never done anything bad. I am just annoyed by him at literally all times. 

Saving: Captain America: Civil War

Edge of Tomorrow

5bf121d56d7f0480cdd51f475ab96ab353482472

I really don't like Tom Cruise ever since he weirdly jumped on Oprah's couch and held Katie Holmes captive through Scientology so I'm okay with this cut. I do like Emily Blunt so this is unfortunate. Edge of Tomorrow was released in 2014 and is categorized as an American science fiction action film. The film stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, like I previously mentioned. The film is directed by Doug Liman  and is based on a screenplay adapted from the 2004 Japanese light novel All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The film is distributed Warner Bros. Pictures. The film takes place in a future where most of Europe is invaded by an alien race. It's a good movie I will admit, Tome Cruise aside. The movie made $370.5 million at the box office and has a 91% RT score. A sequel, titled Live Die Repeat and Repeat, is in development.

Save: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

CREED

Creed_poster.jpg

Creed is a sports drama film released in 2015 starring Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone. The movie is set in the same universe as the Rocky films (it is the seventh in the series), and Stallone reprises the role as Rocky Balboa. Jordan plays Adonis Johnson Creed, the illegitimate son of heavyweight world champion Apollo Creed. Adonis doesn’t know he is his son at first. However, he finds out the truth. He hopes to follow in his father’s footsteps, and Rocky Balboa becomes his trainer and mentor. The film focuses on his trial and tribulations as he tries to advance his career in the boxing world. This is a movie I’ve heard about, and I believe there was an Oscar campaign for Stallone that didn’t end up getting him the award. I’m sure it’s a good film, but it’s one I just haven’t gotten around to watching yet. As for what the critics thought, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 95% approval rating and says, “Creed brings the Rocky franchise off the mat for a surprisingly effective seventh round that extends the boxer's saga in interesting new directions while staying true to its classic predecessors' roots.” Apologies to any fans, but Creed has been knocked out of the rankdown.

And I’m saving Kingsman: The Secret Service.

BriskFantasticArcticduck-small.gif

Edited by Steven_

download.php?type=download&image=82266&section=3 

tumblr_mjk8mbtFCF1rv1rcuo3_400.gifv tumblr_mjk8mbtFCF1rv1rcuo1_250.gifv tumblr_mjk8mbtFCF1rv1rcuo2_400.gifv

At this point in the rankdown, I might as well cut Laurence Anyways as it's clearly on its last lifeline & I rather give it a good write-up to the movie.  Laurence Anyways, released in 2012, is Xavier Dolan's third movie as a producer & writer - his presence in the world of Quebec cinema, to an extent Canada as well as France, is incredibly important considering he is one of the first openly gay director in the industry that I am aware of as a French-Canadian gay individual.  The movie has an incredible cast with  Melvil Poupaud in the lead role, Suzanne Clement - one of my favourite Quebecoise actress, Nathalie Baye, Monia Chokri, Yves Jacques, and Anne Dorval who is another one of my favourite actress from Quebec. 

The movie explores the life of Laurence Alia, teacher & novelist living in Montreal, following her coming out as transwoman to her girlfriend, Frederique whom took the news terribly. With Laurence wanting to restart her life as a woman, Fred & her made the difficult decision to separate - Fred would later realize that she must be there for Laurence. The romance between the two individual would later resume with Fred being by her side every steps of her life journey.  With the support of the love of her life, Laurence finally start living her life as authentic self which would later results in her getting fired from her job - a situation that is often too real for trans individuals. While all of this is happening, Fred finds herself suffering from depression & makes the difficult decision to move away which meant that she is leaving Laurence.  We are then brought to 5 years later where Fred is living with a man Albert & they have a son, Laurence is living a romantic life with Charlotte despite still being in love with Fred after all these years - the plot twist of the movie is how Laurence is stalking Fred, in hope of being reunited with her. After publishing some poems, she sends a copy to Fred who later finds out that these are about her -  this bring us to their anticipated reunion  where Fred revels some secrets from their past & why she left. In the end of the movie, Laurence is the one who decide to leave Fred where the two won't talk for several years to come. 

A movie inspired by the real-life story of Luce Baillarge whom was married to a producer from the movie - Luce passed away prior to the release of the movie, and it was dedicated to her. As a whole, the movie was met positively - it won the Queer Palm Award at the Cannes FIlm Festival with Suzanne Clement winning for Best Actress who is incredible in her role of Fred. It also won many awards at other ceremonies.  

Now, I know that some pointed out his concerns about the movie in the past which I absolutely agree with - I truly do not believe Dolan, a queer producer, meant any ill when casting a cisgender male to portray Laurence. It is important the opportunities for actors & actresses in the Quebec cinema world is incredibly limited - there's about 20 movies or so released per year (the number is somewhat similar in France as well, it may be a bit higher too but it is far from Hollywood). As well, there's little knowledge of French trans actresses - there's currently two working in the world of Quebec industry and their visibility started after 2012, which is a shame as I believe one of them would have been brilliant as Laurence.  I certainly do hope to see more visibility of transwoman in the world of Quebec cinema - I am very hopeful following the introduction of a transwoman on a Quebec dating show. 

To conclude, despite the lenght of the movie, it is a great movie where Suzanne excelled in her role while Xavier Dolan shows why he's one of the best in the business. And as mentioned earlier, his work as a French Queer individual is so important - I look forward to many more movies, from Dolan, in the years to come. 

SAVING: FIRST MAN

A QUIET PLACE (2018)

tenor.gif?itemid=12366390

This movie has never appealed to me, mainly due to the fact that there is virtually no dialogue in the film. Not that it's a bad movie because of that - this has been hailed as innovative, entertaining, well-acted, and engaging. I just feel like the silence followed by jump scares is something that I would not enjoy all that much. This is a realllllly popular science fiction horror film written, directed by, and starring John Krasinski. Playing opposite his real-life wife Emily Blunt, this movie centers around two parents who are trying to keep themselves and their children alive in a post-apocalyptic world full of aliens with an acute sense of hearing. This is an extremely beloved film and was a smashing success. Unfortunately, out it goes from the game.

Saving: The Hateful Eight

• Sad 1

Tangled

Tangled_poster.jpg

aa7eda85247261e541458941273d72da.gif

I’ll make this way prettier later cause I’m not home and with my phone. Tangled is a 2010 3D animated músical comedy film by Disney. The film is loosely based in the story of Rapunzel and it follows a princess with very long hair that has been secluded in a tall tower for her whole life by her mother to protect her from the outside world. One day she meet a young man that helps her to escape the tower against the wishes of her mother. The film is just okay and is not one of my favorites from Disney.  The movie was made with an oustanding budget of $260M making it the most expensive animated film ever made and one of the most expensive film of all-time. However it only made $590M in the box-office and I can only assume they were expecting a lot more. The voice cast of the film included: Mandy Moore, Zachary Levy, Donna Murphy, Brad Garett, Ron Perlman, Jeffr*y Tamb*r, and Richard Kiel. The film received great reviews by critics that calling the film Visually stunning, and it currently holds a Tomatoscore of 89% and a Metascore of 71. I must say the film is far from my favorite Disney movies ever and while I enjoyed it, I believe this is a more than generous spot for this film.

Saving Ghost Protocol 

tumblr_lzpmjsUq4I1qblc8xo1_500.gif

Edited by .Rei