RuPaul’s Drag Race - General Discussion Thread

Elliott

3 minutes ago, *Lily said:

The Kennedy shade in here. :/ Perhaps not the greatest of contestants but a super talented queen. Interesting how that kinda becomes the case with many contestants who don’t adapt as well to the show format.

Season 7 is kinda a mess and probably my least favourite. :haha: I guess my favourites were Katya, Ginger and Kennedy? Violet has grown on me, too. And Jaidynn, Jasmine and Kasha I thought we’re fun early/mid outs. Excited to see your thoughts!

Ahh it is interesting how the show's format isn't really flattering to some of the Queens overall talent. That was noticeable with this season.

Ooooh some intriguing faves there. 😮 You'll see how much we agree or disagree very soon. :giggle: 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

1. Katya

2-13. Who cares

You would. :dead: :lmao: 

Season 7 Thoughts

Ginger Minj: Ginger Minj was a big surprise for me and ended up being quite a big favorite of mine this season. I loved Ginger’s personality and she’s that shady funny Queen that cracs me up multiple times each episode. So many of her quotes cracekd me up. But yess Ginger was pretty much the shining star in most of (if not all) the acting & comedy based challenges. I mean…. her Glamazonian Airways spoken-word/song challenge, Adele on Snatch Game, Playing the evil Michelle on RuHollywood Stories, the Eggs Divine play were all amazing moments. :omg: She would always sell her roles so well. Sadly, the sewing challenges and dancing challenges were her downfall and it sucked how she landed in the Bottom 2 on those. Come to think of it, Ginger’s run was so up and down but I always rooted for her and thought she nailed those lip sync battles. I also enjoyed many of her runway looks too. Ooh Ginger calling herself a GlamourToad would always crack me up. Glad Ginger made the final 3 and I was rooting for her to win so i was sad she didn’t pull off the win.

Jaidynn Doire Fierce: I’m not sure of people’s thoughts on Jaidynn Doire Fierce but I really liked Jaidynn. I found Jaidynn to be a lot of fun and hilarious and i just loved her personality. I also like that she had a number of vulnerable moments too. I do feel like she started off better/really good (but not a true standout) on the first few episodes. Oh wait actually nevermind that…. I thought she was hilarious and fantastic as Bianca in that Spoof! There It Is music video parody challenge. I felt she should have been the winner that week. Sadly Jaidynn kinda a dwindled to the lower end of the pack with three Bottom 2 trips which was sad to see. I did enjoy all of her lip sync battles and thought she brought great performance skills and energy. She was so fun to watch there - but when she was against Ginger I knew her time was up. I just wish she could have found the challenge or spark to make a redemption. :(

Jasmine Masters: I had no idea Jasmine Masters was a contestant on Drag Race. I was shook seeing her on here. Jasmine had a big and lively personality and I did find her really fun. Some of her costume ideas seemed bizarre on paper but she managed to bring it on the runway - especially her last outfit. I was super disappointed with how much Jasmine flopped on the MacB*tch musical. Yikes…. she was a trainwreck and messing up there and was making up a lot of excuses. I thought she would have owned that role too. :( She did well on her final lip sync battle and i personally would have kept her in over Kennedy. I was sad/surprised seeing her as the Week 3 boot as I wanted to see more from her. :(

Kandy Ho: Kandy Ho is someone I wanted to really like and root for but sadly she never really stood out or brought it on the main challenges. She did have some good runway walks - but that would get overshadowed with some bad make-up. Ooh and her obsession of like cracking on the older drag Queens and asking their age was annoying. Kandy Ho was also one of those Queens that seemed very reliant on the Lip Sync battles to get her through the competition and that kinda bothers me with some contestants as I want them to be more versatile and well grounded. She did always bring it on those lip sync battles and I especially loved the second half of her “Break Free” battle. But eau I personally felt she lasted too long for never really bringing it.

Katya: I really liked Katya a lot and found her a lot of fun. She was really hilarious and one of the funniest contestants this season. She’s another that had quite the pouty mouth (like Adore) but always craved me up with all of her OTT reactions to everything. I thought she did really well on lots of the personality and comedic based challenges which was Katya’s strong suit. Some of my favorite moments from her there were: the RuHollywood Stories performance, Suze Orman from Snatch Game and the Divine Cha-Cha Heels play. All such funny and hilarious moments from Katya. :haha: Ugh I felt so bad for Katya on the Hello Kitty episode as she was majorly stressing out. I knew she would B2 and that was clear to see but I was hoping she could have made it through - but Kennedy slayed that lip sync. I did like seeing the depth and deeper side of Katya even though it was heartbreaking when she talked of her past addictions and now sobriety. I did feel like the season lost a bit of fun and character without her. I was very happy Katya won the Miss Congeniality award.

Kennedy Davenport: Elliott said and guessed that Kennedy would be my favorite and well is she? You’ll find out at the bottom of the post. :giggle: I did like/really like Kennedy for the most parts. There were times I was a bit annoyed  by her and sometimes her shady moments would make me laugh and sometimes it could come off mean spirited (namely the Bitter Old Ladies crew - she seemed to be one of the meaner ones there whereas I didn’t feel that from Ginger). I did like a lot of her runway looks and felt she had a very classic and classy style to her. i enjoyed a lot of her Lip sync battles - she had great stage presence and dancing ability that was a lot of fun to watch - especially loved her “Roar” performance. And she was fantastic in that Prancing Queens dancing challenge episode. She did seem to be a hit or miss on the acting and comedy challenges - but she did have that really great moment being Little Richard on Snatch Game which was so perfect and hilarious. :haha: I did like Kennedy’s friendship with Jasmine and seeing them reunited on that eliminated Queens comeback episode.

Max: Max was such an interesting Drag Queen to me and she was like one of the classiest and innocent type Queens on this show. She seemed just too nice and proper and kind out of place at time. One of the funniest moments was how Max would always exclude herself or stop any sex talk from happening. She reminded me of me on those times. :giggle: But I did like Max and thought she did well on her time on the competition. I liked how Max was there for Pearl to get her out of her funk and she was really great in that Romy & Juliet play episode. She had great runway looks too even though I wasn’t a fan of the gray hair. I did think it was such a shame how her first misstep was the Sharon Needles Snatch Game performance which was really weak and a shame how she left after that. I was surprised she left so soon as I thought she would have been at least in the Top 5. I felt she had so much more to deliver that we didn’t get to see.

Miss Fame: Ooh I think this season having so many acting/comedy based d challenges was what really did Miss Fame in. I feel she could have been a stronger/more stand out competitor in seasons that had more of a mixture. I do think Fame’s strong point were the runway looks. It’s hard to remember specifics but I think i liked a lot of Fame’s outfits. Miss Fame was kind of a hilarious mess in the acting and performance based challenges and her lack of acting and comedy experience in those areas did show. I did feel she should have been in the Bottom 2 more often like that Donatella Versace Snatch Game week - how Fame avoided the Bottom 2? i will never know. But Fame never improved on those type of challenges like Pearl & Violet did. Fame’s rivalry with Pearl was intense but I did love how Fame was there on Katya’s meltdown moment and how encouraging Fame was to Katya there.

Mrs. Kasha Davis: Mrs. Kasha Davis was alright but didn’t really do much for me on the season. She was apart of the Bitter Old Lady’s crew but didn’t have the funny or standout personality as the rest of them and seemed like the supporting character. I think I liked her most on the RuPaul music video parodies challenge where she had a hilariously bad singing voice. I did expect her to be much funnier on that DESPYs Awards challenge but she was forgettable and got eliminated. And I was fine with that.

Pearl: I will be completely honest… I thought Pearl should have gone on Episode 4 and had she done so she would have been in my Bottom 2. I found Pearl so dull and lacking personality early on. I Episode 4 felt like the most obvious boot episode where Pearl’s storyline was all about her lacking energy and fire in the parody music video challenge. She was boring in the video with her stage presence and singing and I thought her lip sync battle was lackluster against Trixie so I was shocked she stayed. Although I guess I was eventually okay with her staying as she gave iconic moments in the following like: https://media1.tenor.com/images/f6a345880346f7d24b57a4a36d6133e3/tenor.gif and https://data.whicdn.com/images/172483438/original.gif. Then I wasn’t expecting Pearl to last so long to make the Final 3. :lmao: I will say that I did love see Pearl opening up and giving it more in the challenges. She did show and prove she could be funny in some of the acting challenges - like on the DESPY Awards show, her Big Ang on Snatch Game and the Finale acting parts of the music video were funny moments. She did have some really great, edgy and versatile high fashion looks that were fun to watch. Sadly Pearl was really such an awkward dancer and mover in dance based challenges and her lip sync battles (which I didn’t really care for) so that was her obvious downfall. I did like the moments where Pearl showed off some vulnerability and depth and we got to see more of her story and understand why she has such a wall up. It def made sense for how Pearl was earlier in the season. But despite Pearl not being in my personal Top 3, i’m fine she lasted as long as she did grow on me.

Sasha Belle: Sasha Belle was the proclaimed Drag Race super fan that studied the show and was prepared for it….. even though she was cut short and was the second boot. She wasn’t too memorable to me in her two episodes. Sasha just had this oversized big hair that got in the way of her performance and runway look. She was forgettable and didn’t do much for me. Then on the Conjoined twins episode Sasha annoyed me more there as Sasha was barely helping out Ginger at all with the costumes.

Tempest DuJour: Aww Tempest was probably the saddest first boot for me / my fave first boot contestant. Tempest had that great touching story of losing so much weight to be on this show and living the “it’s never too late to live your dream” story. It’s a shame her nude illusion runway look wasn’t good and her lip sync battle was awkward. And being a costumer and not having good outfits is yikes. I would have liked seeing more from her as she seemed nice and likable but it was an understandable decision.

Trixie Mattel: I did like Trixie well enough on her time on the show even though she wasn’t a major standout. I know Trixie was the comedy Queen type Drag Queen even though she didn’t really get to bring or showcase the funny. I do get how the judges wanted more funny and humor and more of an identity from her. I was really shocked she was eliminated on Episode 4 because while Trixie was underwhelming - I felt she did much better in the video challenge and lip sync battle over Pearl. But then that Conjoined challenge happened which Trixie brought her personality and humor and got to come back. So I was happy for Trixie getting another chance. Props to her being the first Queen to come back and not actually get eliminated on their comeback week. She did good on the two challenges after her comeback but not nearly enough to be a standout or really impress me. I was fine with Trixie going against Ginger from that Bottom 2. And yeah happy Trixie got a 2nd chance which helped me like her a bit more..

Violet Chachki: Elliott commented on that I would have a polarizing relationship with Violet and he’s 100% right on that. I’ll start off with the bad and will say I found Violet really annoying and quite stuck-up and high on herself. I did not like Violet’s personality the first few episodes. Now I can and will always admit that Violet is an ICON with her runway looks and she was amazing with all of her runway looks and presentations. :omg: Not only was Violet the best by far this season with her runway looks but one of the best of the course of this series. Of course Violet slayed the Hello Kitty design episode and also that first episode with the Spring & Fall fashion looks - especially that 2nd outfit where she transformed her outfit on the runway. This look: https://media3.giphy.com/media/keAh8hQxjqYGA/200.gif. :omg: I always got this ANTM type contestant vibe from Violet and would think that’s a better fitting show for hr. Sadly I wasn’t rally too impressed with her on the acting and comedy based challenges. She started off really bad on those but did eventually improve and got better on that. She really surprised me and did great on that Tango/Vogue dance challenge. And personality-wise, I do appreciate that she took notes and criticism on how Violet comes across from the other Queens and worked on that. She did change for sure and became more likable as the season went on. This was the first time i wasn’t really too excited for a winner but Violet is a good/decent winner - but I do prefer more well rounded performers (like Jinkx and Bianca).

Rankings:

1. Ginger Minj
  2. Katya
  3. Jaidynn Doire Fierce
  4. Max
  5. Kennedy Davenport
  6. Violet Chachki
  7. Pearl
  8. Miss Fame
  9. Jasmine Masters
  10. Trixie Mattel
  11. Kandy Ho
  12. Mrs. Kasha Davis
  13. Tempest DuJour
  14. Sasha Belle 

I kept going back and forth on Ginger or Katya being my favorite of this season. It could be either of them depending on the week. But I think i felt more of a rooting feel for Ginger so I gave her the edge. The rest are all super tricky to rank - namely #5-6 and 8-10 and #12-13. And yah this season was weird in the sense that I had a number of favs that left earlier on over the ones I liked but didn’t care for that much.

Katya's my favourite of the season, so I'm pleasantly surprised you have her at second! And I personally felt Ginger should've won, so no qualms with her being your #1. Now that I think about it, Ginger's probably my second favourite from this season, but again - Katya's the only one from this season I stan. :giggle:I do like Pearl, but that's more-so for how hot Pearl is out of drag. :giggle: Though I liked a few of her looks, and I think her and Trixie slayed the comeback challenge! Kennedy at fifth is a pleasant surprise. :wub: She had her moments (and was better than Ginger in Snatch Game imo), but overall, I'm not really a fan of hers. I'll elaborate more after her second appearance.

Violet sucks, but I'll admit that her Death Becomes Her look left me gagged.

S8 is only like 10 episodes, so it'll go by super quickly and then you get to the GOAT of Reality Shows in All Stars 2. :wub: Ugh, I'm so excited for you to watch it!

Edited by Elliott

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Katya's my favourite of the season, so I'm pleasantly surprised you have her at second! And I personally felt Ginger should've won, so no qualms with her being your #1. Now that I think about it, Ginger's probably my second favourite from this season, but again - Katya's the only one from this season I stan. :giggle:I do like Pearl, but that's more-so for how hot Pearl is out of drag. :giggle: Though I liked a few of her looks, and I think her and Trixie slayed the comeback challenge! Kennedy at fifth is a pleasant surprise. :wub: She had her moments (and was better than Ginger in Snatch Game imo), but overall, I'm not really a fan of hers. I'll elaborate more after her second appearance.

S8 is only like 10 episodes, so it'll go by super quickly and then you get to the GOAT of Reality Shows in All Stars 2. :wub: Ugh, I'm so excited for you to watch it!

Ginger should have won.  Also yes blast through season 8 to get to All-Stars 2!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Wally having Kennedy at fifth?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

I knew you would be happy about that. :lmao:

15 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Katya and Ginger Minj are the correct top two. Very proud of you @*Wallace LOL.

Thanks Dee! 😄 :hug: They were easily the most enjoyable overall. :haha: 

14 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Great Top 4!  I like that Max is so high.  Katya + Ginger were my Top 2 as well.  I think Trixie and Max rounded out my Top 4.  I personally didn't like Miss Fame.  

Thanks Sola! Aww yeah I felt Max underrated and was surprised Max went so soon. :( Yayy great Top 2! Oooh Trixie.... I liked Trixie at times but always wanted more from her.

19 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I feel like Elliott and I have legit the same thoughts on this season :giggle:

Also love that Wally is doing such detailed write-ups for the show #str8menlikerpdrtoo ❤️ 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elliott said:

- Yayy having Katya as your favorite. 😄 I nearly  would have had her 1st especially being from Boston. :giggle:

- Preach at saying Ginger should have won. She really should have and ugh would have been perfect to have the first plus sized Queen winning. :broken: 

- Lmaooo I was gonna say and thinking "I'm surprised Elliott doesn't like Pearl and figured you'd like Pearl more out of drag as a guy. :haha: I liked that runway look you mentioned too.

- Lol you but yess I know  you're happy I don't have Kennedy high. She was one I wanted to like more but her personality would annoy me. But I did love her lip syncs and Little Ricahrd at Snatch Game. Oooh curious what happens on her 2nd season but we'll save that for another day.

omgg your Violet hate. :dead:  Makes me feel less bad having her 6th. :haha: 

Ooooh All Stars 2 beng the GOAT? 😮 I'm looking forward to it. I'm already 4 episodes into S8 so hopefully I can finish that sometime this week.

14 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Ginger should have won.  Also yes blast through season 8 to get to All-Stars 2!!!!!

:yes: I'm like a 3rd of the way into the season. I'll get there soon! You all got me excited for it. :haha: 

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

Preach at saying Ginger should have won. She really should have and ugh would have been perfect to have the first plus sized Queen winning.

The show was probably planning on her being their first plus-sized queen but the fanbase thought she was a bitch and latched onto Violet. 🙄

20 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Actually Wally just skip S8 because we don't need another N*omi stan on IDF.

Not gonna say my thoughts but..... what's wrong with Naomi and why do you think i would stan her? :dead: 

3 minutes ago, JC said:

I feel like Elliott and I have legit the same thoughts on this season :giggle:

Also love that Wally is doing such detailed write-ups for the show #str8menlikerpdrtoo ❤️ 

LOL this does not surprise me in the slightest. :lmao: 

Aww thanks. Glad you enjoy my reviews. As the seasons go on I write more notes to help me out with my thoughts. Lovee the hashtag there too. :lmao: I'm enjoying this show much more than i thought I would so I'm happy watching it now. :haha: 

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

The show was probably planning on her being their first plus-sized queen but the fanbase thought she was a bitch and latched onto Violet. 🙄

WHAT THE HECK? Did they not see Violet's first 5-6 episodes?  :dead: Ginger was at least humorous with her b-wordness.

Ugh this has me thinking the online fan support probably sways RuPaul's thoughts on who should win which isn't fair. :/ Not sure if that's true but seems like it.

Just now, *Wallace said:

WHAT THE HECK? Did they not see Violet's first 5-6 episodes?  :dead: Ginger was at least hilarious with her b-wordness.

Yeah, but Violet's skinny.

Anyone who isn't skinny, young-passing and white, the fanbase turns into a villain.

23 hours ago, Elliott said:

Actually Wally just skip S8 because we don't need another N*omi stan on IDF.

I had to respond just to laugh because I believe it to be true. #theend 😄

Chi Chi DeVayne is in the hospital for high blood pressure, and suspected kidney failure. :( Sending love to her, such a talented queen and it's been so hard to see her go through these health issues for the past few years!

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Solaris said:

Miss Vanjie.....

Waiting on Wallace to finish Season 8.  

Just finished it last night! 

You all can feel free to make guesses on my faves. 😮  I have to work on my comments on them.