RuPaul’s Drag Race - General Discussion Thread

Elliott

45 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Since Wally is a Yarlexis stan, I'm expecting more disappointment and Jinkx will be his favourite.

:dead: 

We shall seee. :haha: 

44 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Afrl.gif

:haha: 

40 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Them?  Does Jinkx identify as non-binary?

39 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Yes.

I did not know this. 😮 

Season 5 Thoughts

Alaska: I like Alaska for the most part - but realistically speaking I was kinda mixed and had up and down feelings regarding Alaska throughout the time on the show. Alaska had a rough start to the season and I felt she had a lot of pressure living up to Sharon’s success and not really matching up to her level. Sometimes I felt bad and other times I was eh. Alaska had an attitude/personality I didn’t care for at first andI wasn’t to imposed. But I can’t remember exactly when it was but she had a turning point of the season. Wait…. it was when she dropped the Ro-Laska-Tox clique. :dead: Before that it seemed she was focused on them as a trio rather than her own success. I think it was when Alaska was the only one of the Final 7 to never win a challenge and how determined she was to win a challenge - like where she that perfume commercial challenge and she also really impressed me on that Candy Couture episode where she had to design 3 candy related outfits. I did feel bad for Alaska with those dancing/choreography challenges because she was SO bad in those.:dead: She did have some great runway looks. But yeah I do think she was the most improved Queen of the season by far - as she went from mediocre to a frontrunner. Ooh and OMG she had those annoying Hhhhiiiiii’s that would both crack me up and drive me crazy. :dead:

Alyssa Edwards: I really liked Alyssa and always found her to be a standout throughout the course of the season. I am surprised she didn’t make it further as I feel I heard a lot about Alyssa? But maybe that was for a different season. Of course she was apart of that huge Alyssa vs Coco rivalry which gave them a lot of airtime. Her standout performance was that RuPaul storytelling dance Black Swan dance challenge. She was such an amazing dancer and outdanced everyone. :omg: I am sad/disappointed that Alyssa was kind of a flop on the acting based challenges - which happened to be a lot of. I enjoyed most of her runway looks. But omgg Santino grilling her last look and her going off on that rant at him was hilarious. :dead: But I enjoyed her lip sync battles even more - all of which she killed! :omg: 

Coco Montrese: Well it’s only fitting I mention Alyssa in this write-up as the Coco vs. Alyssa storyline was so huge this season.  Hmmm Coco was an interesting one for me. I kinda enjoyed all of the drama and chaos she brought and she did have a number of funny and shady quotes that made me laugh. I thought Coco was kinda hit and miss on the challenges and runway looks - and I think she was maybe more on the miss side of things? I don’t know but I was expecting more from her and kinda surprised she made it to 5th. But Coco was absolutely hilarious on the RuPaul Roast challenge….loved hat. :dead: And also wow 4 Bottom 2 trips is…. yikes. But she provided really great  and exciting lip sync battles for sure. I just did not expect Coco to last so long in the competition let alone outlast Alyssa and based on personal preference i was bummed that happened. 

Detox: I found Detox quite hilarious with her snarky and shadiness. :haha: I did feel like Detox was a frontrunner at the start and she did do well’ish throughout the season. But I do feel she lost some spark or wasn’t as strong towards the end of the season. But some highlights Detox had were the chicken role on that Children’s show challenge and that perfume commercial which I found hilarious where she would do this whispery sexy voice mixed in with that deep manly voice. :dead: She did have some fun and funny lip sync battles with those funny lip movements - although it got old kinda fast for me. But also OMG that segment of Detox talking about all of hr surgeries was insane. :dead: And the moments where Detox was vulnerable about her boyfriend’s death and car accident were touching moments. :( I liked Detox but overall wasn’t too invested. 

Honey Mahogany: Honey is an interesting one because i kinda forgot about her as the season went on but she actually had quite a promising start from the notes i see. She did decenly well on the first underwater shoot and she was hilarious as Mystique with the iconic “B*tch I am from Chicago” line. :dead: Other than that I just remember her wearing these big ol dresses that covered her body that the judges didn’t like. I did expect her to last longer but her lip sync was super underwhelming.

Ivy Winterss: Ivy was one of those slow burner types. Ivy was nice and likable enough where I liked her but she kinda faded in the background for me the first few weeks - or other personalities stood out. But i did like Ivy more as the season progressed. Ivy had some good runway looks and she especially shone on that singing challenge where she was a definitely the best. She Lady Bunny I liked that Ivy was one of the ones that gave attention to Jinkx and made her feel better. But lol Jinkx revealing their crush on Ivy and then Ivy goes.  I would have been curious how that storyline went. So yeah I liked Ivy’s quiet and cool demeanor and would have liked seeing a bit more from Ivy. Well done to Ivy winning Miss Congeniality which I think she was a good winner for as I did find Ivy to be the nicest of the cast.

Jade Jollie: Aww Jade is like the most squeaky clean and cutesy Drag Queen I’ve ever seen. I don’t even think of her as a drag queen tbh. :haha: I kinda get like a Carly Rae Jepsen vibe from her. But yeah I found Jade to be nice sweet and sometimes likable. She did have some feisty moments with Serena… and ooh also with Alyssa which I did find her rude on. Maybe it was a case of her coming off as fake with the nice act too. And I was kinda surprised she had a good friendship with Coco. She wasn’t someone that ever really stood out to me in anything but i liked her overall.

Jinkx Monsoon: “Water off a Duck’s back.” :giggle: I wish I could remember my legit/first thoughts on Jinkx but usually with the weird and quirky type Queens I don’t think I really cared for her or “got” her when it was large cast in picking out favorites. I will say sometimes her runway looks were hit and miss - some I liked and some I didn’t care for but oh well. I think i started becoming a Jinkx fan around Snatch Game with her portrayal of Little Edie which was hilarious. :lmao: She had the only celeb I didn’t know so wasn’t too excited there but she was sooo funny there. That’s when she started standing out to me. In fact Jinkx was my overall favorite when it came to the acting and comedic based challenges. I loved her on that Drama Queens Telenovela challenge. Then she was really hilarious and perfect on that courtroom segment on the finale. :lmao: Ooh and I hated how rude the other Queens were toward Jinkx and how they would underestimate and ignore her talent - when she was really one of the best ones overall. That made me root more and more for Jinkx each episode. 🙂 And I was really excited and happy Jinkx pulled off the win! :spaz:

Lineysha Sparx: I guess I find myself always rooting for the Puerto Rico Queens of this show… or at least most of the time. :haha: I did really like Lineysha. I thought she had potential to be my favorite. She had some really fantastic and great runway looks. I thought she did a great with the first two challenges and I even wrote how I felt she should have won the underwater photoshoot but at least she won the next challenge. Sadly the acting and comedy type challenges were not good - and her Celia Cruz was especially rough. I did enjoy her lip sync battle and wish she had stayed and lasted longer as I felt she had more to deliver. :(

Monica Beverly Hillz: Aww I liked Monica and kinda had a soft spot for her. :blushingwasve: Sadly Monica never really stood out or did too great in the competition which is a bummer. Episode 2 was really hard when she felt disconnected and was hiding her secret… so it was a great abad powerful moment of her revealing she’s a transgender woman. I was hoping she would have a breakthrough and shining moment after that but it never happened (outside of her first great lip sync against Serena).

Penny Tration: Penny wasn’t too memorable although the name is. :haha: Penny was pretty much the fan voted Queen into the competition but….. she didn’t really deliver or live up to that. 

Roxxxy Andrews: WHERE MY PEOPLE AT? :wub::giggle: Roxxxy was someone who really stood out as a contender all throughout the season. I liked how she embraced the term of thick and juicy and always owned up to that. I thought she did well and was really enjoyable in the acting/comedic type challenges. I especially loved her Tamar Braxton impression. :haha: Oooh and whoa she did amazing transforming her gay army vet into a drag queen with her look too. Roxxxy had lots of really great runway looks (I felt she was the most consistent on that front). She would nail the music video type challenges. She did annoy me at times when she got into some arguments especially the one with Jinkx and well…. her treatment of Jinkx in general. She would undermine Jinkx’s talent and take it out on her when she did bad….and that whole finale trashing Jinkx mess. :rolleyes: That was annoying but I am glad she apologized on that. Besides that I really liked and rooted for Roxxxy. Ooh and yes she had that iconic “Whip My Hair” battle with Alyssa which was amazing.

Serena ChaCha: Lol Serena was a good 2-episode villain. She was def annoying and not so likable - but since she didn’t last she didm’ overly annoy me that much. Serena caused a lot of drama and seemed to come off that she was better than all of the other contestants - even though she kinda failed badly at everything she did. :haha: Well she was good on the lip sync battles (but did terrible on the lip sync Untucked challenge). And she also seemed more of a performing arts student rather than a Drag Queen.

Vivienne Pinay: Vivienne had a really pretty and beautiful look to her but she was another person that never really stood out in the challenges. In fact she came off quite flat and boring in many of he acting related challenges due to her low-key energy/personality. I wouldn’t have minded her to stay another week but she simply was not bringing it. Oh her rivalry with Roxxxy even seemed so tame and meh.

Rankings:

1. Jinkx Monsoon
  2. Roxxxy Andrews
  3. Alyssa Edwards
  4. Alaska
  5. Lineysha Sparx
  6. Ivy Winterss
  7. Detox
  8. Coco Montrese
  9. Monica Beverly Hillz
  10. Vivienne Pinay
  11. Jade Jollie
  12. Honey Mahogany
  13. Serena ChaCha
  14. Penny Tration

LOL Elliott was right. :dead: And Sola partially. So Jinkx ended up being my favorite for sure. This marks the 2nd time my favorite has won. Some spots I was stuck on are 2-3….If Alyssa lasted longer and was more consistent/stronger i could have seen her as 2nd over Roxxxy. Then also really confused on Ivy and Detox’s placements and who I prefer more but since Ivy was nice to Jinkx…. I’ll go with this. 😘 Ooh 10-11 are kinda interchangeable but I feel I liked Vivienne more for reasons I can't explain lol. I think i am set on the rest.

1 hour ago, #jeah said:

Wally literally everyone likes Jinkx, Elliott be tripping per usual 

You got it right..... actually everyone that guessed got it right with me regarding Jinkx. :haha: UGH what does Elliott have against Jinkx? :/ 

28 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Jinkx ❤️ 

You're a Jinkx fan too? :spaz:

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Y'all, I think Wally's been replaced by someone else.

LOL why do you say this? :dead: 

I did like Coco and found  her hilarious attimes. But there were times I was annoye too. I still liked Coco though.

Yay I think we’d have the same top 5 there! :wub: I’m not sure what order mine would be in but I think they’re the 5 I probably liked the most? I like that you have Jinkx/Roxxxy as your top 2 even with their big rivalry...I’m the same as I really liked them both despite them being polar opposites :haha:

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

You're a Jinkx fan too? :spaz:

Yes! :spaz: I loved their underdog story especially up against Rolaskatox. As kinda like you mentioned there were times I didn’t really care for each of Rolaskatox, although I do mostly like the three of them. Such a good competitor though and when they eliminated Detox to make the finale, that really was a great moment. :haha:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

UGH what does Elliott have against Jinkx? :/ 

I just never really got invested in them that season. I was mostly rooting for Alaska, Alyssa, Detox and Coco. :haha: I also was kind of over the Jinkx vs Rolaskatox storyline (especially knowing Jinkx was just as snippy with them :haha:) so Jinkx and Roxxxy being the centre of it made me apathetic on them.

Jinkx was snippy towards Rolaskatox? They kind of bullied her relentlessly towards the end while she was minding her own business. Unless there’s some behind the scenes tea we don’t know about, Jinkx handled the bullying quite gracefully based off what was shown in the edit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Jinkx was snippy towards Rolaskatox? They kind of bullied her relentlessly towards the end while she was minding her own business. Unless there’s some behind the scenes tea we don’t know about, Jinkx handled the bullying quite gracefully based off what was shown in the edit.

I’ll see if I can dig it up because it was years ago when I saw/read the interviews. But the top four all basically said in individual interviews that they all more-or-less got along (though Rolaskatox was obviously closer) and Jinkx was equally shady to them whenever they would sass her (and vice versa). But the edit portrayed it as Jinkx being the underdog that was being bullied by them, which was how Alaska & Roxxxy realized they weren’t going to be winning. :haha: 

A lot of the feuds in S5 were played up for the cameras because Sharon told Alaska (who then told the others) that they’d get airtime and lasted longer if they pretended to be enemies.

Edited by Elliott

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I’ll see if I can dig it up because it was years ago when I saw/read the interviews. But the top four all basically said in individual interviews that they all more-or-less got along (though Rolaskatox was obviously closer) and Jinkx was equally shady to them whenever they would sass her (and vice versa). But the edit portrayed it as Jinkx being the underdog that was being bullied by them, which was how Alaska & Roxxxy realized they weren’t going to be winning. :haha: 

A lot of the feuds in S5 were played up for the cameras because Sharon told Alaska (who then told the others) that they’d get airtime and lasted longer if they pretended to be enemies.

This all makes sense and I’d believe it! But either way I’m glad the drama exists because it all made for great tv imo :haha: 

42 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Yay I think we’d have the same top 5 there! :wub: I’m not sure what order mine would be in but I think they’re the 5 I probably liked the most? I like that you have Jinkx/Roxxxy as your top 2 even with their big rivalry...I’m the same as I really liked them both despite them being polar opposites :haha:

Yayyy I lov that we have the same Top 5 too despie a different order. 😄  OMG LOL I know..... I feel so conflicted and weird having Jinkx and Roxxxy as my Top 2 with their rivalry. That should have made me lower Roxxxy but I liked her otherwise outside of that drama. :haha: 

40 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Yes! :spaz: I loved their underdog story especially up against Rolaskatox. As kinda like you mentioned there were times I didn’t really care for each of Rolaskatox, although I do mostly like the three of them. Such a good competitor though and when they eliminated Detox to make the finale, that really was a great moment. :haha:

Yayy I agree with you pretty much on everything.... which is a shocker. I do like the members of Rolaskatox indiviually on their own work - but cliquey groups that thnk of themselves better than everyone annoys me. :haha: It wasn't nearly as annoying as The Heathers thankfully. But yesss Jinkx ruining the Rolaskatox ideal Final 3 was a shining moment. :giggle: 

39 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I just never really got invested in them that season. I was mostly rooting for Alaska, Alyssa, Detox and Coco. :haha: I also was kind of over the Jinkx vs Rolaskatox storyline (especially knowing Jinkx was just as snippy with them :haha:) so Jinkx and Roxxxy being the centre of it made me apathetic on them.

Oooh I see. Thanks for this. I can get how that could annoy you though. 

36 minutes ago, #jeah said:

That was how i saw it. :yes: 

15 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Roxxxy at #2 -_- 

Ooh I don't know what that face means. Do you not approve - of wanting Roxxxy at #1 or much lower? :lmao: 

14 minutes ago, #jeah said:

This all makes sense and I’d believe it! But either way I’m glad the drama exists because it all made for great tv imo :haha: 

LOL agreed. I actually enjoyed most of the drama this season. :haha: 

13 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Wally watching the two premieres of season six and recognizing some of the cast:

im popular made it big GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Oooh omgg. :lmao: I see your S6 list and it does have names I recognize soo I'm excited to see them. :haha: Also whyy two premieres? :dead: 

Just now, Elliott said:

Bored Over It GIF

Lol you know I really liked Manila and Raja - but them solely as a clique with how they treated Shangela/Yara/Alexis annoyed me. :dead: 

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

Also whyy two premieres? :dead: 

S6 had a split premiere with 6 queens in each episode. I like it because you can actually remember the queens more easily.

Edited by Elliott

11 minutes ago, Elliott said:

S6 had a split premiere with 6 queens in each episode. I like it because you can actually remember the queens more easily.

Oooh I actually like that because it's so hard to get their names/faces down with so many.

I hope to start watching later tonight.

Ooh kinda what Elliott touched up upon earlier, Season 6 is kinda crazy for me to watch because of the number of people I know and recognize. :haha:

- Courtney (Lmaoo i know Courtney from everything - like Australian Idol (well i saw her performance but not the season in full) / Celeb Big Brother UK / DWTS Australia. It feels almost unfair seeing her on this show. :dead: Even though I know the last two shows came after this appearance.)

- Adore (Of course I know him as Danny from American Idol 7 but I know Adore was on this show and I have seen her on Ex on the Beach last year/this year too.

- Bianca (someone I know via name + face although I didn’t really know her personality.)

I didn’t expect all of them to be on the same season. :dead: :haha: 

Then there’s Gia Gunn and Laganja who I don’t know but I always see tons of gifs of on here and was wondering who they were. So it’s helpful knowing so many people… and looking forward to watching more of this season. :haha: