RuPaul’s Drag Race - General Discussion Thread

Elliott

SEASON 8 THOUGHTS

Acid Betty: Yeahh probably to be expected but I was not a fan of Acid Betty at all. I found Acid Betty to be rude and b-wordy which I appreciate she owned up to it - but it wasn’t in a fun or funny way. Actually it was Episode 2 of B*tch Perfect where Acid annoyed me the most when she was taking over Chi Chi’s role as leader and was just so rude towards everyone. I did feel Acid Betty came off thinking she was better than everyone. I did feel Acid did really well with the runway looks and had creative ideas there - that was her strength. Acid was fine in most of the challenges but her Nancy Grace was a big disappointment and not even a proper impersonation of her. I was kinda surprised Acid Betty left as soon  as she did but I wasn’t mad about it.

Bob The Drag Queen: Bob The Drag Queen is simply fantastic. Bob simply slayed the competition and I really loved watching her. Bob in those acting and comedic challenges? ICONIC. The Chocolate Cookie in RuCo’s Empire, Uzo & Carol Channing from Snatch Game and the Political Ads campaign performances all some of my top favorite performances on this show so far. :omg:  All SO worthy of winning and good that I want to see Bob’s performances in those again. I will admit that I was mixed on Bob’s fashion and runway looks in comparisons to the rest of the Final 3/4. Not saying Bob had bad looks but she just didn’t have a number of iconic looks. But that doesn’t really bother me as I prefer the Queens who are stronger in the main challenges and versatile over the runway runs. Bob was also quite confident and could borderline come off cocky at times but I didn’t mind as she had the talent to back it all up. Her lip sync song from the finale was my favorite one. But yeah Bob crushed it on the challenges and totally deserved the win!

Chi Chi DeVayne: Aww Chi Chi had such a powerful and emotional back story of struggling and working hard to make ends meet and all. And all of Chi Chi’s comments on her rough upbringing made it all the more special for me to root for her. :yes: It was funny how she would call herself the Cheap Queen to embrace her short-comings but the emotional parts of it were sad. Chi Chi had a pretty solid run although looking back it wasn’t as strong as I remembered. She had strong moments in the B*tch Perfect episode,  which she completely slayed. I think I really enjoyed her Eartha Kitt from Snatch Game. She had some really good and strong runway looks - although a few Queens did outshine her for their creativity. I did feel like her time was coming up at the end of the Final 4 episode. I was right about that. I didn’t think she would make it that far but glad she did. I honestly thought Chi Chi was gone at Final 6. But Chi Chi’s “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” lip sync was amazing and everything! I was blown away and slayed by that one. :omg: Def one of the best lip sync performances and so much so that Jennifer Holiday gave it praise!

Cynthia Lee Fontaine: Okay so Cyntha was A LOT in her entrance with the whole cu cu and way OTT thing and I feared she was going to be too much and annoying. I can get how she could annoy people but as her short run went on, I did feel Cynthia was nice and harmless. I did like how sad she was to see Naysha go and happy she was seeing her back in the competition. I wish we got to see more of their friendship. Nothing really stood out much in her run - except I did remember her owning the Latin flavored dance off mini challenge in Episode 2 so there was that. I was hoping for Cynthia to win that lip sync battle she was in as Robbie was annoying me but no such luck. Aww at her announcing to having liver cancer on the reunion show but glad she beat it. Ad also congrats to Cynthia winning the Miss Congeniality award.

Dax ExclamationPoint: Dax was okay. Dax never really stood out too much to me. I did like how she had this Science Fiction/Catwoman-esque opening look. She was underwhelming in the B*tch Perfect musical (as most of her group was bringing it) and had an underwhelming lip sync battle. I would have saved her over Laila and would have liked to see if she could offer more but I wasn’t mad she went.

Derrick Barry: Oooh I have heard of the Britney impersonator but had no idea who that was. Well as a Britney fan, i do love Derrick’s fandom for Britney and the impersonation of Britney was so spot on! But yeah I felt that Derrick struggled a lot in trying to get out of that Britney character and I still felt a lot of the runway looks were Britney inspired even when they weren’t. Derrick did struggle a lot with a number of Bottom 3 and Bottom 2 appearances so I was pleasantly surprised she made it all the way to 5th. But Derrick did have some shining moments such as Britney from Snatch Game and the Shady Politics episode were great moments for Derrick. She provided great lip sync battles too. I do wish Derrick’s journey was stronger overall but I still enjoyed her. 

Kim Chi: Aww Kim Chi was another likable underdog type like Chi Chi. Kim Chi definitely nailed all of her runway looks and she was so original, innovative and creative in her style. It was like this Anime fantasy style. Never seen this on the show before but that makes her styles stand out. :omg: There’s a reason why she won those outfit design challenges. Sadly, the acting/comedic and dancing type challenges weren’t Kim’s strong suit. What I do love most about Kim Chi was how rootable she was. Kim was often defeated and lacking confidence in those challenges but she always try her best. The emotion moments she would have with talking about fear of public speaking, weight struggles, cultural differences and mother not knowning about his drag career. There was a lot of compelling storylines with Kim and she was always so nice and kind… and just so rootable. I also loved her friendship with Naomi.

Laila McQueen: Ugh I’m low-key high key bitter that Laila beat out Naysha on that first lip sync battle only to be down there and give an underwhelming lip sync battle the following week and go. 😐 Hmmm Laila’s out there gothic horror type drag style isn’t a style I care for or am interested in (unless they can really slay and own it like Sharon Needles) and I felt that Laila was pretty much blah and just there for  the most part. Didn’t care for her. 

Naomi Smalls: Legs (!) Gosh Naomi was nothing but legs….. it was legit insane. Although actually Naomi was more than just legs and I found her to be great. LOL Elliott was so right on this with me really liking Naomi. :dead: She has this fierce look to her. At the start of the season, she did well in the challenges but wasn’t a true standout. Her looks were often quite sexy but very similar and it was getting kinda stale. Ugh her Snatch Game of New York was really such a letdown…. she had a big character and did nothing with it. :closedeyes: Thankfully that was a fluke because after that one bad performance, Naomi seriously stepped it up and brought it in all of the challenges. She delivered so many iconic and standout fashion looks on the runway and was showcasing great versatile looks. She pleasantly surprised me in the Political Ads campaign episode and also loved her in the Punk rock group.  I also enjoyed her in the RuCo’s Empire challenge. She did fantastic with the Scarecrow look on the Wizards of Drag episode. She nailed everything from the music video challenge at the final competitive episode. I loved how Naomi was so young but so poise,  willing to learn and grow. I also love how her name is inspired by Naomi Campbell & Biggie Smalls - I get the Naomi part but not so much the Biggie part. I also loved her fandom for turned friendship with Kim Chi too.

Naysha Lopez: Ugh I was sad to see Naysha go the first episode as i thought she had sooo much potential and so much more to offer than the typical first boot. :( It was mentioned how beautiful she was which was certainly true. It’s a bummer her not having sewing experience worked against her although that didn’t hurt Adore in S6. I was rooting for her to stay in the lip sync battle but Laila did outperform her while Naysha was while beautiful was one note with her performing. But i was really happy Naysha got a second chance to return! She did decent on the Empire sketch,  had some good runway looks and a much strong lip sync battle the second time around. I do wish Naysha had a stronger comeback but at least she had more of a chance to kinda prove herself. 

Robbie Turner: I felt mixed on Robbie throughout the season. Sometimes i liked Robbie, sometimes I felt meh and most of the time I felt meh. Robbie was quite a disaster when it came to the design challenges which was unfortunate. Although that first episode of Robbie forgetting to pick a past season theme for themselves was hilarious. :haha: I also remember Robbie annoying me on the RuCo’s Empire episode for some reason. She was going on about having all this acting experience and then flopped hard on it. I was hoping for Robbie to go over Cynthia that week. Robbie’s shining moment was the Punk group Les Chicken Wings performance and ok that was the only moment i really liked Robbie come to think about it.

Thorgy Thor: Thorogy Thor was a serious contender and someone who I felt was super consistent in the season. But with that said, Thorogy wasn’t someone I would consider a big favorite of mine like the actual Top 5 of the season. But I guess I could consider Thorogy a mid-level fave as I did like her. So I felt Thorogy was like a Final 3 threat but left at 6th to make room for my faves which I was not upset about. Thorogy had some good runway looks and did great on the acting+comedic based challenges. i loved her performances in the Ru-Co’s Empire and Michael Jackson Snatch Game performances. I did feel bad for her always being in Bob the Drag Queens’s shadow but it also got obsessive to the point of Thorogy solely competing against Bob and not really focusing on herself or the competition as a whole. That was starting to annoy and wear on me towards the end of her run.

Rankings:

1. Bob The Drag Queen
  2. Naomi Smalls
  3. Chi Chi DeVayne
  4. Kim Chi
  5. Derrick Barry
  6. Thorgy Thor
  7. Naysha Lopez
  8. Cynthia Lee Fontaine
  9. Robbie Turner
  10. Dax ExclamationPoint
  11. Acid Betty 
  12. Laila McQueen

The Top 4 were definitely my favorites.  And Derek was right on Bob being my clear favorite. I guess I am becoming predicable. :haha: But I do really like 5-6 and 7-8. Didn’t care for the Bottom 4. I did really enjoy this season overall. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elliott said:

unimpressed viola davis GIF

I can get your issue with Derrick but what's wrong with Naomi? :/ 

21 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

season 8 bob GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race S8

You called it completely right? :lmao: Gotta love Bob the Drag Queen! :bobo: 

21 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Wow, so Naomi is a lock for the finals of the next rankdown I guess! Welcome to the fan club, Wally, and the correct side of history.

Hopefully! Yayy thanks! 😄  :hug: Ugh are there others that don't like Naomi besides Elliott?

12 minutes ago, #jeah said:

The Derrick love, we love to see it :wub: 

Yayy! 😄 I wonder what other IDFers think of Derrick. 😮 

11 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I really liked Naomi in season 8, now though.... not so much.

My watching her in S8:
Well, I’m not a fan but whenever she was bad, someone was worse than her so I guess if she makes the finale, it isn’t the end all be all.

Me after her second appearance:

9dae2022a86b254ec14a7b1250d0c1ae.gif

I’d take her over Yarlexis, at least. 

Edited by Elliott

43 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Everything.

giphy.gif

I can't with you some all the times. 😐 

12 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I really liked Naomi in season 8, now though.... not so much.  Bob and Kim Chi would be my Top 2 of the season.

Awww at  least you liked Naomi in S8. That is still a great Top 2 with Bob and Kim Chi though.

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

My watching her in S8:
Well, I’m not a fan but whenever she was bad, someone was worse than her so I guess if she makes the finale, it isn’t the end all be all.

Me after her second appearance:

9dae2022a86b254ec14a7b1250d0c1ae.gif

I’d take her over Yarlexis, at least. 

LMAO Yikes I'm scared for her all-stars appearance. 🙈

YES! :wub: 

Wait..... I read that wrong. 😐 😐 😐 

DelectableSpanishJavalina-small.gif

Just now, *Wallace said:

LMAO Yikes I'm scared for her all-stars appearance. 🙈

YES! :wub: 

DelectableSpanishJavalina-small.gif

Start All-Stars 2, you wont want to stop!

Also going forward it shall be customary for you to rank the queens during the first episode challenge (the new staple of the all-stars seasons)

2 minutes ago, Solaris said:

You will find out in due time.

Uh-oh.  

9 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Ooh I just realized Wally’s on AS2 now. Love that journey for you, Wally. 

1 minute ago, Solaris said:

Start All-Stars 2, you wont want to stop!

Also going forward it shall be customary for you to rank the queens during the first episode challenge (the new staple of the all-stars seasons)

I just started All-Stars 2and I got soo many thoughts. :dead: Some thoughts without giving my feelings away.... WHY is half of the season made up of Season 5 Queens? That's too much and wish more seasons were represented. :lmao: Also what in the world is this Survivor/Big Brother-esque twist that's added on here? :dead:  

I'm not sure what you mean on this last part. :haha: 

@*Wallace - I love Naomi Smalls. I think her run on Season 8 was a ton of fun, and she ended that season as one of my favorites, But she tends to be a tad overrated here, especially given what she produced on All-Stars 4. I would still consider her an icon though, and I really enjoyed meeting her. Derrick Barry is good television, but horrible for the show! Kim Chi is too low!

Just now, *Wallace said:

WHY is half of the season made up of Season 5 Queens? That's too much and wish more seasons were represented. :lmao: Also what in the world is this Survivor/Big Brother-esque twist that's added on here? :dead:  

AS2 was filmed directly after S8, so nobody from that season would've been on it. Since AS1 happened already, they focused primarily on S5-S7 for it.

3 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Uh-oh.  

I just started All-Stars 2and I got soo many thoughts. :dead: Some thoughts without giving my feelings away.... WHY is half of the season made up of Season 5 Queens? That's too much and wish more seasons were represented. :lmao: Also what in the world is this Survivor/Big Brother-esque twist that's added on here? :dead:  

I'm not sure what you mean on this last part. :haha: 

the maxi challenge.  The talent show is the new 1st episode staple for future all-stars.

2 minutes ago, Deeee said:

@*Wallace - I love Naomi Smalls. I think her run on Season 8 was a ton of fun, and she ended that season as one of my favorites, But she tends to be a tad overrated here, especially given what she produced on All-Stars 4. I would still consider her an icon though, and I really enjoyed meeting her. Derrick Barry is good television, but horrible for the show! Kim Chi is too low!

Ahh nice comments here on Naomi. Glad you love her and ahh interesting comments you got here with the overrated stuff. And so cool you got to meet her! Agree with you on this regarding Derrick. :haha:  I get that on Kim Chi - I still really liked her (As I did with the Top 3) but i preferred the other 3 more. Had she been on S1 or S7 she probably would have been my favorite (or 2nd). :dead: 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

AS2 was filmed directly after S8, so nobody from that season would've been on it. Since AS1 happened already, they focused primarily on S5-S7 for it.

Oooh I see. I didn't think of this with S8. I do wish earlier season Queens were more represented but I get this reasoning.