Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

DANCING WITH THE STARS

PART ONE - SEASONS 1 - 7

dwts-logo.jpg?w=620&h=360&crop=1

Okay so it’s obvious and should go without saying that I’m a huge Dancing with the Stars fan, and it is certainly a show I really love and am obsessed with. I will start this with a plot twist and confession - but I am pretty certain Dancing with the Stars is my #1 favorite show of this Television shows rankdown. I have 3 huge particular faves that is kinda hard to rank but i think DWTS is the show I am addicted to the most and just absolutely love - therefore i would consider it my #1. Yesss maybe it’s sad and corny of me but I don’t care. But yeah I REALLY wish I could have gotten DWTS into the finals as I wanted to write and give it an epic write-up of how much i love the show and how much it means to me - but the time has prematurely come and got to do so now. But I also know it was a big target from certain people too so I knew it was a rare chance of getting to the finals. :broken: I know it’s not groundbreaking revolutionary television with amazing acting and some people could be making fun and laughing at me considering it such a huge favorite but it is a show that truly makes me happy and love being invested into. I also know I could have voted out American Idol or Pretty Little Liars instead, but those are both shows I also love - of course I LOVE Idol a ton having obsessed/addicted moments to that show and love PLL as Denise got me into it - and I’m not gonna ~backstab her~ in voting out PLL. Soo I would rather sacrifice DWTS at this point, as hard as it was for me to do. :broken: I did fight hard for DWTS protecting it for safety requests and saving it (almost) every time it was up. But sigh it was just not meant to be - and got to do this big write-up now. So not gonna lie, I lost some of my passion and care for playing for the rest of the game (and losing Survivor this past round doesn't help that) but I am going to stick it out and fight for my remaining favorites I hope I can get to the end. :( BUT I am glad DWTS has gotten all the way to the Top 46 of the game and the 3rd last standing reality TV show with great company in American Idol and Survivor.

Dancing with the Stars is a ballroom dance competitive reality TV show that takes celebrities from different career backgrounds and pair them up with professional ballroom dancers - to learn ballroom dances and perform on live TV with the audience voting for their favorites. The show originated from Strictly Come Dancing in the UK (which I also loved and protected/fought for as long as i could - although i let that one go easier) which premiered in 2004. DWTS made its premiere in Summer 2005 and has currently aired 28 seasons with 448 episodes under its belt and have had 321 celebrities competiting on the show. The show has been hosted by Tom Bergeron in all 28 seasons - alongside various co-hosts such as Lisa Canning, Samantha Harris, Brooke Burke-Charvet and Erin Andrews. The show has been judged by Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli. With Julianne Hough judging on a few seasons.

giphy.gif

9cbe66576c69283506d8c98d1711f63b.giftumblr_oyci3srS2X1tbo6e7o2_250.gifvtenor.gif

Now back to my DWTS love/fandom level, DWTS is a show that has sooo many things I love. One being celebrities. While growing up, I loved and was into pop culture - with namely music and TV shows…. and I would be one of those that love and are into celebrity news and gossip and all of that. So seeing celebs I love or don’t know and growing to love was a great experience for me. And DWTS is one of those shows that I can watch and enjoy for two hours and clear my mind from all the stressful things going on in either my life or in the world. But wait, DWTS is not always stress free as it can also make me rage and get angry with unjust shock eliminations. :dead: Then the other element is dance. I always enjoyed dance and really got into dancing shows when SYTYCD came out in 2005 - which let me getting into DWTS in 2006 and it made me love and appreciate ballroom dance. The other element I love about DWTS is the competitive element - of the judges scores and stats. I love making my own scores of the dances - tracking scores the judges give and all of that. The other element of it is that I really love discussing DWTS with all kinds of people - whether it be my family members or fellow IDFers (since my outside of IDF friends don’t watch it). It’s so fun to share different thoughts. Now I did post my ranking of all the DWTS contestants at the end of Season 24 but sadly that is lost now due to the IDF malfunctioning. :broken: Maybe I will update it again in a few years time?

Dancing with the Stars is a show I would love to work on as  either a worker or better yet as a contestant, which I sadly often dreamt about. :dead: And in one of my Television Ethics/Studies class - ugh I forgot the name of it, but we had to do an essay on a TV show of our choice. And YOU KNOW I had to I choose to write about DWTS so i had to do lots of research for it. And lol yess I was living my life and that was such a dream come true. :giggle: My favorite essay to write EVER. So yes DWTS has been a big part of my television watching life and life in general, so yay for that. And I also love other international versions of DWTS and watch those too - namely Strictly Come Dancing (UK), Dancing with the Stars Australia and Dancing with the Stars Ireland. I even watched one season of a Spanish version of DWTS - Mira quién baila(Season 5), as I found it on a Spanish channel and wanted to watch it. I also follow many other versions via wiki and may stumble across watching a few of those dances on Youtube.

Now I will try to break down my thoughts on each of the 28 seasons. GAH this is going to be A LOT. :dead: But it’s what I have been wanting to do with X Factor UK and Strictly Come Dancing but i never got around to doing so - so I will do so with DWTS. I will provie a mix of fats and my own personal thoughts (which i know some of you may disagree on).

SEASON 1

tumblr_m1419lY2uh1rpkg2no3_250.gifvtumblr_m1419lY2uh1rpkg2no9_r1_250.gifv

Season 1 (which started airing in July 2005) was the only season I didn’t watch live. Of course with all Season 1 versions of shows, it was pretty much a trail low budget type of season. This season did seem to be about Kelly Monaco’s (aka Elliott's favorite) underdog victory story going from one of the weakest dancers of the season to becoming a frontrunner and eventual winner. Kelly won with Alec Mazo. John O’Hurley was viewed as the frontrunner who finished 2nd. He was more consistent overall but I guess he got mad that he lost and asked for a rematch or something? I can’t remember but it was not a good look. He did win that rematch - but blah. My personal favorite that season were Rachel Hunter & Jonathan Roberts.  I did like Joey McIntyre & Ashly DelGrosso. I shall post my favorite dances - I’ll go with only 2 here - Rachel’s Tango and Kelly’s Samba.

SEASON 2

Drew-Lachey.gif 

tumblr_m5zxznzWSk1rpkg2no12_r1_250.gifv

Season 2  (which started airing in January 2006) was the season I was slowly started getting into DWTS but I wasn’t quite a legit fan yet. This season was all about Drew Lachey (partnered with Cheryl Burke) and Stacy Keibler (partnered with Tony Dovolani). They were both amazing dancers and would top the leaderboard back and forth with so many standout dances from them. Drew & Cheryl ended up winning the season, partially due to their iconic Ride A Horse, Save a Cowboy Freestyle dance which defined the importance and greatness of a Freestyle. Stacy was my personal favorite and was the celeb contestant that really got me into the show. :wub: I had other faves in Tia Carrere & Maks and Lisa Rinna & Louis. I will try to limit this to 5 of my favorite dances - Drew’s Paso Doble & Freestyle and Stacy’s both Sambas and Jive. I would recommend all of Stacy’s and Drew’s dances alongside Tia & Maks’ Tango.

SEASON 3

tumblr_m0qygvDOTX1rpkg2no7_r1_250.gifvtumblr_m7uuo6UkM51rpkg2no2_250.gifv

Season 3  (which started airing in September 2006) was the first season I properly watch in live time and was when I started considering myself a DWTS fan. This was a really enjoyable season or me although most DWTS seasons are. I did have a lot of favorites and rooted for various different people. My favorites this season were: Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke, Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff, Joey Lawrence & Edyta Silwinska, Monique Coleman & Louis van Amstel, Willa Ford & Maks Chmerkovskiy and Vivica A. Fox & Nick Kosovich. So yeah this was the first season where I had a lot of favorites in 6 of them. I think Vivica started off being my favorite and then I think it transferred to Mario & Monique and would alternate between them. Although on rewatch I would say Mario is my #1 fave with Monique being my #2 fave. I also thought Mario was the overall best dancer but Emmitt ended up winning, earning Cheryl her 2nd win in a row. I can get how Emmitt won as he’s charming, likable and had no dance experience and had a great partnership with Cheryl. Plus I know a lot of my family members loved and were rooting for him.

I liked a lot of dances this season - but I would say my standouts would be Mario & Karina’s Paso Doble & Tango (from the semi-finals), Monique & Louis’ Jive, Emmitt & Cheryl’s Freestyle, Willa & Maks’ Rumba and Joey & Edyta’s Rumba.

SEASON 4

kJDyKs.gif 

tumblr_m98hbyNh881rpkg2no2_250.gifv 

Season 4  (which started airing in March 2007) was pretty much a 3-horse race between the finalists of Apolo Anton Ohno & Julianne Hough, Joey Fatone & Kym Johnson and Laila Ali & Maks Chmerkovskiy. I loved all 3 of Apolo, Joey & Laila and found them all to be fantastic dancers and performers - and I would have been really happy with either of them winning. S4 is interesting to me because Laila was my favorite celeb - although I loved the Apolo & Julianne partnership the most. Apolo did end up winning, which I was really happy about. I would also say Ian Ziering & Cheryl were an easy 4th best - I liked him too but not as much as the others. The rest of the competition was a bit rough, to say the least. But yeah Apolo, Joey and Laila were the true MVPs. I’ll post some of my favorite dances of theirs which would include: Apolo’s Samba, Paso Doble - Joey’s Jive & Freestyle and Laila’s Samba. I would recommend you to watch and check out more of those threes dances.

SEASON 5

tumblr_m0v3kbB7BC1rpkg2no1_250.gifvtumblr_lzq8pkMDEu1rpkg2no2_r1_250.gifvtumblr_m1iop31Qns1rpkg2no6_r2_250.gifv

Season 5 (which started airing in September 2007) was probably the season i felt I was really invested into and thinking of it as amongst one of my very top favorite shows. This was another quite a competitive season where I had a number of celebs and couples that I rooted for. The standouts and my favorites this season were: Mel B & Maks Chmerkovskiy, Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough, Sabrina Bryan & Mark Ballas and Jennie Garth & Derek Hough. I did also enjoy Cameron Mathison & Edyta and Jane Seymour & Tony as minor faves. 

Sabrina Bryan, in particular, started the season off with such a bang with an outstanding Cha-Cha and was the ultimate frontrunner for the first half of the season untl she was disgustingly robbed on Week 6. Sabrina was probably the first DWTS celeb recipient of a disgusting and unjust robbery on the show. :/ However the rest of the season was pretty much dominated by Mel and Helio. But I did have a soft spot and rooted a lot for Jennie to do well as an underdog type favorite. Then there was Marie Osmond who wasn’t that good but of course lasted wayy too long to 3rd place. But yeah Helio was great but Mel was definitely my favorite and one of my all-time fave celeb contestants on the show. I loved Mel back in the peak of the Spice Girls day but would love her even more as a DWTS contestant. I was pretty upset she came in 2nd to Helio as I was rooting so much for Mel to win - but Helio had some great dances and was a good worthy winner. Plus this helped Julianne get her 2nd win on the show which I was happy about there.

I’ll post a few of my standout dances which would include Mel & Maks’ Samba, first Paso Doble (LEGENDARY) & Viennese Waltz, Helio & Julianne’s Quickstep (also iconic), Sabrina & Mark’s Paso Doble and Jennie & Derek’s Cha-Cha.

SEASON 6

0db5b4429da8e36d881cfe1882c4d462.gif 

tumblr_m5c7bldOFr1rpkg2no11_r1_250.gifv  tumblr_m032s22M2u1rpkg2no10_r1_250.gifv

Season 6 (which started airing in March 2008) was pretty much the Kristi Yamaguchi season and the rest of the celebs were fighting for second place. :dead: No but seriously Kristi - who was partnered with Mark Ballas - was really such an amazing dancer and the star of that season. I think everyone who has watched this season has her as their favorite - and if not - someone tell me otherwise. 😘 But ok yeah there were actually other great celeb dancers and competitors that I really enjoyed such as: Jason Taylor & Edyta Silwinska, Mario & Karina Smirnoff and Shannon Elizabeth & Derek Hough were my next set of faves whom I all really enjoyed an rooted for. Then Cristian de la Fuente & Cheryl and Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony also had their fair share of good dances too.

But yeah Kristi just dominated the season and delivered so many flawless dances throughout her time on the show. With this write-up it should be obvious that Kristi won her season which she thankfully did. I will post some of her best dances which would include her Paso Doble, Rumba, first Jive and Cha-Cha. Then I will also post some other cast members to not make it too much all about Kristi - so I will include Jason & Edyta’s Quickstep and Mario & Karina’s Rumba.

SEASON 7

tumblr_m6tfh2sU4R1rpkg2no5_r1_250.gifvtumblr_lzpgxfcbg91rpkg2no6_r1_250.gifv

Okay before I get into discussing Season 7…. I am going to go ~dark and deep~ here for a moment. If you get to reading this part of my write-up thank you and I appreciate it that. But okay so Season 7 started around September 2008 and this was kind of where I was at one of my lowest points in my life. I had college orientation week around late August/early September for a week and by the end of that I got really sick and didn’t know what was happening. i was more sick than I ever was before. So I was hospitalized and found out that I had pneumonia. I had no idea how bad or powerful this was but it was a scary time - and at the very lowest moments (maybe for about 2 or 3 days) I did not know or think I would survive it. Thankfully I did. But I was in a rehab place for about 3 weeks - so  I was kinda secluded from the outside world. The reason why I am mentioning this story here is because one of my thoughts when I was starting to feel better was that “Ughh I am going to miss the premiere week of DWTS” and I was really sad/devastated I was going to miss the show. Lol is it sad of me to think of that so importantly - maybe? But DWTS is a show that makes and puts me in  my happy place. Thankfully my mother was able to record it on DVD for me when I requested that for her - so when I got home, I went to give my bed a big ol hug, went on IDF to tell people I was back and then went onto watching the episodes I missed of DWTS. Okay so now let’s go back to discussing the season.

Season 7 (which started airing in September 2008) was another season i was really enjoying and invested into. The standouts and my favorites this season were: Brooke Burke & Derek Hough, Lance Bass & Lacey Schwimmer and Warren Sapp & Kym Johnson. Then I also had secondary favorites in Toni Braxton & Alec Mazo, Cody Linley & Julianne Hough and Maurice Greene & Cheryl Burke. My actual favorite was Brooke wom I really loved and was certainly rooting for. Brooke shockingly broke the model curse on the show - as models were usually eliminated on the first or 2nd week. But thanks to Brooke’s amazing dancing and strong partnership with Derek - that was a winning combination to get her the win, which I was very happy about. :wub: Ooh and I will also mention how Brooke is one of my favorite celebs in ballroom dances - her ballroom is exquisite. Although I will also credit Lance & Lacey as they were a really fun enjoyable and innovative partnership - but personally I was still all about Brooke.

I will link some of my favorite dances from them which would include: Brooke’s Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot & Salsa, Lance’s Tango & Mambo, Warren’s Tango and Cody’s Jitterbug! I would definitely recommend checking out more of Brooke’s and Lance’s dances.

Okayy well I covered the first 7 seasons - and i only got 21 more seasons to go. WISH ME LUCK Y’ALL. :dead: 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I demand a whole section dedicated to the Sherzy.  

Great first part though :D.

Coming up in the next part! :wub: 

Thanks Sola!

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Kelly Monaco :wub: :wub: :wub: 

It pained me to talk about her. :/  

LOL I'm kidding but yesss hope you do like her mention there. :haha: 

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

ew no

:ermm: