Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

On 3/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, Alex95 said:

Finished my Nathan For You writeup. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will come tomorrow or another time.

Just finished reading this write-up and the show sounds hilarious. :lmao: I may have to watch some episodes and see what I think. This one "a maid service that finished in six minutes by sending 40 maids to your house" particularly sounds funny to me. :lmao: 

On 3/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, *Chris said:

Finally finished my novel on Anne With An E! 

Just finished reading this write-up too. This show sounds really interesting and something I would like to see. I do remember the book from when I was younger. :yes: May have to check it out!

4 hours ago, Alex95 said:

@*Wallace I JUST WATCHED THIS WEEK’S GOOD GIRLS AND I’M NOT OKAY!!!!!

I gotta catch up on that! 😮 

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

It should be 30 Rock or Hill House...so obviously instead it'll be Homeland or Sex Education :haha: 

I'm rooting for one of those to make it through, so fingers crossed. :giggle: 

Eliminated:

30 Rock
The Haunting of Hill House
Sex Education

Denise is responsible for these write-ups unless someone else volunteers to write them instead.

Alex can post his nominations when he's ready. No need to wait for the write-ups first.

And we still need a write-up for The Good Place too.

This write-up is complete. ❤️ 

On 3/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, miss denise said:

Summerland

kdg4jI5.png?1

I'm back finishing another write-up for one of my own shows that I had to cut. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif Summerland is a drama that premiered on The WB in 2004. I have been protecting this show for the duration of the entire rankdown since it is quite nostalgic and dear to my heart. The reason is pretty obvious to anyone that knows me and I'll get to that, but that is mostly the reason I felt it was right for me to do the write-up of this show.  For such a short-lived series, I am glad I got to get it to this point in the game. 

WOW, those opening credits bring back so many memories and feels. :wub: "It's a beautiful day, yeah, yeah" :bobo: 

Summerland is centered around three orphaned kids and their aunt who raises them in California. The kids - Bradin (Jesse McCartney), Nikki (Kay Panabaker), and Derrick (Nick Benson) - lose their parents in a tragic car accident in the pilot episode, which was so so sad. :(  I always remember the scene where Bradin calls his aunt sobbing to tell her the news. Ugh. Nobody should ever have to go through that. The kids then move from their home in Kansas, to California in the custody of their aunt Ava. The storylines focus on them adjusting to their new lives, which as you can imagine, is quite difficult. Prior to her nephews and niece moving in with her, Ava lives with her three adult roommates, Johnny, Susannah, and Jay, while she works as a fashion designer.  Her life obviously changes a lot as she takes in the kids, but her roommates help her raise them.

I'm not going to go into great detail about the characters and storylines like I did in some of my other big write-ups. I haven't watched this show in so long, but the whole reason I got into it in the first place was because, as many people know, my life centered around Jesse McCartney. :wub: :giggle: I was absolutely in love and OBSESSED with him, so of course I would watch the show that he starred in. I was LIVING my best life as young Denise. :wub: 

DLnTrUv.png

I have loved Jesse forever,  still do, and always will (and you can currently see him competing as a turtle on The Masked Singer, I'm just saying)  It only took 14 years of being a fangirl for me to finally meet him, but I did in 2018, so woohoo me. :wub: Anyway, so, of course, this show had the love of my young life, and also... it is set on a beach. Like... that is my world. :dead:  Ugh, I could fantasize so much about living in a beach house and being at the ocean every day. :wub: I always live somewhat vicariously through characters in shows and movies who have that luxury.  Anyway, Jesse's character, Bradin, is also a surfer, and so.... Surfer Jesse. Yeah. I was sold on this show right away. ❤️  

7Me78GI.gif IPIj8Ls.gif

Bradin is the oldest of the three kids and the most troubled.  I remember his first girlfriend on the show, Sarah (Sara Paxton). Of course I was not here for her at all. :haha: She was also a bad influence on him though, so I was even less on board with that girl. (!) But I've seen Sara in some other stuff too, so that's cool, but I didn't particularly enjoy her character all that much from what I remember. 

kKcKgs5.gif

And then there was also a girl named Callie, who I think I liked... and Erika, the older girl who helped coach Bradin with his surfing. He got into a lot of trouble with those girls, but he also started to build up his surfing experience and channel it into a potential career, although there were some speed bumps along the way, including drug use to better his performance, and pressure to drink from fellow surfers. :(  Ugh, there was one time he overdosed from performance-enhancing drugs and fell down the stairs, which was SO scary. :( 

Poor Bradin. 😢 😢 😢  Poor baby. He needed to learn better. He definitely struggled a lot with the loss of his parents (obviously understandable) and made some not so great decisions, many of which he was pressured into. :(  I felt for him. 

Now, let us not forget that we also got a young Zac Efron on Summerland.

4t9FFK1.gif

This was my introduction to Zac, even before High School Musical. 😮  I had no idea what a star he would go on to become and how much I love him now too. :giggle:❤️   I was so spoiled on this show and I didn't even know it.  :dead: But Zac played Cameron, Nikki's friend and boyfriend.  He also lived a troubled life,  as his parents were divorced and his dad was an alcoholic. :( 

z35zsAv.gif

I also knew Kay (Nikki) from a few different things on Disney Channel, so quite a few of the young stars I knew or saw again later in other things, which is fun. 😄   I'll mention that Nikki was the middle child, who was very smart and kind of motherly. I liked her and Cameron together and thought they were cute. 

The youngest child, Derrick, I don't remember all that much about.  I was mostly invested in Bradin and Nikki's storylines (especially Bradin's, of course), and not the adult's either, so I'm not going to talk much about them. :haha:   As I mentioned as the start, the show focused on them and their lives following the tragic loss of both of their parents, and them having to adjust to a whole new life living in California with their aunt.  Definitely not an easy situation for any of them, at any of their ages. It is interesting that three different age groups were explored among the kids though. The show followed the various ways they adapted, as well as how Ava adapted to going from a single woman to having custody of three kids. 

tumblr_matxjxHMxo1qggua8o1_400.png

Sadly, Summerland was cancelled after two seasons, in a mass cancellation of shows from the WB at the time. :(  Such a short-lived show, but I enjoyed it while it was on, and of course, was obsessed with anything and everything Jesse. It was fun while it lasted to see him in this role. ❤️   He's gone on to do several other acting roles since then, including some guest spots on shows that were in this rankdown, and a role on the final season of Army Wives, which I guess escaped my huge list of entries somehow. :broken: He played a soldier suffering from PTSD and I loved him on there. And then there obviously is his music career of which I could write a novel. :wub:  And we know about Zac!  He's starred in many things I enjoy, but especially the High School Musical series and The Greatest Showman. ❤️   

~~~

With Summerland being a short-lived show awhile back, and not a cult favorite or anything, it can be difficult to find as much as I wish I could online. 😢  At least I was able to provide some gifs. :wub: There are random clips on YouTube and ooh I actually found full episodes  too, yay! Definitely will need to watch some of these back. :wub: 

I wish I had the time to watch back some of these before this write-up, so I could go into more detail, but I have to finish this up now.  I tried my best to give more of a broad overview, with some more specific details on the people I love from the show.  My love for this show stems purely from my love of Jesse and my nostalgia from watching it back then, which is bit different compared to my love of some of the other shows in this rankdown. I would and will always be there for Jesse and that is why I care about it so much. I'm glad I could carry his show this far.  ❤️  

Saving: Alexa & Katie 

tumblr_p6l4wfr2Qn1uji35eo3_400.giftumblr_p6jcv8lBlp1uji35eo1_400.gifv
tumblr_p6d0tdOgGC1uji35eo4_400.giftumblr_p6l4wfr2Qn1uji35eo1_400.gifv

13 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Eliminated:

30 Rock
The Haunting of Hill House
Sex Education

Denise is responsible for these write-ups unless someone else volunteers to write them instead.

I'll start working on these write-ups tomorrow. ❤️ 

Sorry to the fans of these shows. 😢 I honored the safety of sooo many shows and sadly there weren't many options left. I'll do my best on the write-ups for all three of these.