American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

Explain how Alejandro is successful in any metric that is used to measure music industry success. (Being name-checked on Idol doesn’t count)

He was at Lolla in 2019 (2nd AI alum after Haley Reinhart) and is an indie/alt music fave/darling?

He may not sell billions nor have super streaming numbers but he is still doing better in the biz than Laine is right now. 

Not to drag the most obvious winner since Scotty into this discussion! 🙂

I see nothing has changed on here...

Edited by KelseyW

7 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

He was at Lolla in 2019 (2nd AI alum  after Haley Reinhart) and is an indie/alt music fave/darling?

He may not sell billions nor have super streaming numbers but he is still doing better in the biz than Laine is right now. 

Not to drag the most obvious winner since Scotty into this discussion! 🙂

I see nothing has changed on here...

Being “more” successful than other relatively unsuccessful Idol alums doesn’t make one successful in the music industry at large. How well he’s doing compared to Laine is irrelevant. How is he doing compared to his industry peers?

It’s not that he doesn’t sell “billions”, it’s that he doesn’t even sell thousands. He’s probably making a living at it (like many music show alums), but by absolutely no measure is he a noteworthy success.

Edited by AngelaKD

1 hour ago, m1key said:

My main reason for preferring Idol over The Voice though is that everything feels so "tokenized" and repetitive every season on The Voice. The pimped front runners are always some combination of the female African American diva, male African American r&b/soul/gospel singer, the teen boy/girl with a "voice beyond their years", and one or two country singers. Idol obviously does have its token pop divas and WGWG's as well, but I never get the same vibe I do with The Voice. 

On Idol, I feel we get contestants of unique genres that make it far into the season. Last season we had Casey Bishop make F4 being a rock/jazz girl. There's also the quirky indie/folk types like Leah Marlene, Fritz Hager, Catie Turner, and Alejandro Aranda that we never really see get far on The Voice. Idol also embraces more "artistry" by allowing original songs.

I do think it's cool that Idol allows the contestants to sing original songs and if The Voice wanted to allow that I would 100% support that. What I wish Idol would allow that the Voice does is duos or trios. The Voice had a sibling trio win their most recent season and that's not something you will see on American Idol.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Being “more” successful than other relatively unsuccessful Idol alums doesn’t make one successful in the music industry at large. How well he’s doing compared to Laine is irrelevant. How is he doing compared to his industry peers?

It’s not that he doesn’t sell “billions”, it’s that he doesn’t even sell thousands. He’s probably making a living at it (like many music show alums), but by absolutely no measure is he a noteworthy success.

True. Heck I don't follow MJSBLOG (too much spam) for numbers threads.

I've also never heard his music on the radio. Nor seen him live.

There's various levels of success and I think he's done a good job so far. But I'm one of the few on IDF that isn't sick to death of talking about him. lol

Sorry if that came across rude. Wasn't my intention. Just sick of IDF basically saying he's a nobody and not worthy of being a fave amongst the industry and AI alumni. 🤷‍♀️

I know this isn't the place to bring this up. But this YouTube playlist I made follows Alejandro's journey so far. Music and music industry appearance wise.

SO if this helps anyone else who's not already a fan GET him then yay. If not I'll just go be on my merry way. lol

20 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

If I got this correct Laine actually has twice the monthly listeners on Spotify that Scarypoolparty has.

Edited by QueenKalie

15 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

There's various levels of success and I think he's done a good job so far. But I'm one of the few on IDF that isn't sick to death of talking about him. lol

Sorry if that came across rude. Wasn't my intention. Just sick of IDF basically saying he's a nobody and not worthy of being a fave amongst the industry and AI alumni. 🤷‍♀️

I would never try to talk you out of being a fan.  You’re allowed to say that he’s the most talented musician you’ve ever heard, lol. You just don’t get to say he’s currently commercially successful.

Commercial success for music show alums is rare these days, and frankly, feels like a crap shoot based on a random Tik Tok meme taking off.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

I would never try to talk you out of being a fan.  You’re allowed to say that he’s the most talented musician you’ve ever heard, lol. You just don’t get to say he’s currently commercially successful.

Commercial success for music show alums is rare these days, and frankly, feels like a crap shoot based on a random Tik Tok meme taking off.

You're right! lol

I'm on TikTok for the heck of it and yeah it's god awful if you're just trying to use it to be relevant as singer/band. :/ 

53 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I do think it's cool that Idol allows the contestants to sing original songs and if The Voice wanted to allow that I would 100% support that. What I wish Idol would allow that the Voice does is duos or trios. The Voice had a sibling trio win their most recent season and that's not something you will see on American Idol.

Oof, the duos and trios are something I’d like to see The Voice get rid of lol. I would’ve rather seen Bekah from GNT by herself and the mom from Worth the Wait was so unnecessary. Like just let your daughters have their moment please. 

Just now, Carrie_On said:

Oof, the duos and trios are something I’d like to see The Voice get rid of lol. I would’ve rather seen Bekah from GNT by herself and the mom from Worth the Wait was so unnecessary. Like just let your daughters have their moment please. 

Both of the people from Worth The Wait I honestly could have done without. And yes I do like Bekah more than her brothers but their harmonies were on point all season long and I really enjoyed that. I don't think Bekah wins the voice if it was just her singing solo as pleasant sounding as that would be.

• Like 2

Acts like GNT happen once in a lifetime. Most of the duos and trios that have auditioned for The Voice are not even close to GNT's level in terms of consistency, musical talent, likeability and perfect harmonies. 

But, i have the feeling that there could be some good indie/folk groups on American Idol if they ever allow it to happen. I don't know, but i would honestly like to see that

• Like 2

8 hours ago, m1key said:

As far as IDF goes....

The Voice forum is definitely more active, but I think there are too many people there who take the show wayyyy too seriously, especially when there is a 90% chance contestants will not have any success post season (not saying Idol is better with the post season success in 2022, but we do have Gabby Barrett, Benson, Alejandro, and potentially Kenedi who have/will have more success compared to recent The Voice alum)

As for the Idol part of the forum, theres definitely less of us. However, we are all bitter and jaded from sitting through YEARS of this show which could definitely come across as annnoying. Although, most of us do not take the show as seriously as once before, and most of us probably watch it for pure nostalgia/FOMO purposes lmao.

This is accurate.

11 hours ago, KelseyW said:

But IDF has always been very bias towards the female singers.  How else would anyone explain the over pimping of Hunter Girl.  Not only has she never attempted to move outside her box, the stuff she's done is very average.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

But IDF has always been very bias towards the female singers.  How else would anyone explain the over pimping of Hunter Girl. 

I don't understand how one thing is related to the other.  And she is not even that liked here, her fan thread has 8 fans lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't watch the Voice anymore simply because I can't stand the coaches 'antics. I don't mind the judges on Idol, but I feel the Voice they just make it all about the coaches and not about the singers. 

Also on the subject of Alejandro, I didn't mind him on his season of the show, but there's a reason why he didn't win. I know he has a lot of fans because of the show, but he isn't that big of a deal like people on here make him out to be. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I don't understand how one thing is related to the other.  And she is not even that liked here, her fan thread has 8 fans lol 

My point is that IDF will always favored a female singer over a guy.  And if it came down to Huntergirl and Noah, the push will be for Huntergirl - just to have a female win.  Even though he has shown more versatility, taken more risks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

My point is that IDF will always favored a female singer over a guy.  And if it came down to Huntergirl and Noah, the push will be for Huntergirl - just to have a female win.  Even though he has shown more versatility, taken more risks.

Oh, that. Oh well,  

The main audience has always favored male singers over female singers no matter how talented the females are. So, i personally don't have a problem with IDF favoring female singers, it's not like we have any impact on the voting or anything.

Despite everything, this is actually a pretty decent Top 10. Most of the contestants have proved at some point of the competition why they deserve to be still here.

There is only a contestant that i actively dislike at this point:ph34rwave:. I can't justify that contestant anymore and i hope they are eliminated soon. This sounds mean but sorry, it is what it is

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, KelseyW said:

If you're were notably on another talent show but keep trying to audition for others that's fine...

Just know that some of us AI stans HATE the mere mention of The Voice. lol :P 

I used to be like that, but then I changed my mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Despite everything, this is actually a pretty decent Top 10. Most of the contestants have proved at some point of the competition why they deserve to be still here.

There is only a contestant that i actively dislike at this point:ph34rwave:. I can't justify that contestant anymore and i hope they are eliminated soon. This sounds mean but sorry, it is what it is

Who is it