American Idol S22 Top 14 Reveal Discussion

istersay

14 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

Well, some people do an uptempo song for no reason and get eliminated either because they are much worse on uptempos or choose it for the sake of doing so, which defeats the point of doing so. Pia was just never that popular to begin with according to Nigel and left around the time she would have left, not because she did an uptempo song.

I do not think Mia will choose an uptempo song for the sake of it and will choose well. And she has crucially shown that she can actually do it and do it well unlike a lot of other contestants.

It's not bad to do untempo, but it's riskier because you are likely gonna need to rely on singing it perfectly since it might not interest the audience if they don't "feel" the performance, unless if it's some classic bop that they love to jam to I suppose, but you still gotta sing it well or you could lose some votes. Think of it like this, has someone won off of a faster song alone? More often than not it's some emotional ballad that settles a win for contestants. 

1 hour ago, QueenMae16 said:

It's not bad to do untempo, but it's riskier because you are likely gonna need to rely on singing it perfectly since it might not interest the audience if they don't "feel" the performance, unless if it's some classic bop that they love to jam to I suppose, but you still gotta sing it well or you could lose some votes. Think of it like this, has someone won off of a faster song alone? More often than not it's some emotional ballad that settles a win for contestants. 

Maddie's highest-rated performance on WNTS was "Nothing Compares To U", a midtempo song. Maddie also did 5 midtempo to uptempo songs before doing her second ballad of the competition ("I Told You So" at Top 5, near the end of the competition lol) with her first ballad being "Homeward Bound". I don't count Sam since she was the only girl in a Top 5 finale, which was unprecedented, but the only conventional girl winner in ABC Idol did a mix of faster and slower performances. Maddie's most watched performance was Brand New Key, which gained over a million views a week and was the viral performance of the season, and that is no ballad.

I know Maddie was on a weaker season, but doing an even-ish mix of slower and faster performances is workable if you have the talent to actually be able to do faster songs in the first place. What matters for those with the talent is choosing a song with the lyrics and message you can connect with, not the tempo of the song.

Candice, the last Fox-era female winner, also mixed it up between ballads and faster performances and had a number of uptempos in the early to beginning of the middle part of the competition.

No one is saying do uptempos all the time either, but you shouldn't avoid them if you can do them. You want to alternate at times. Maddie doing "Walk Like an Egyptian" was refreshing." Candice gave a great "Come Together" that was only beaten by La'Porsha's. In Mia's case, her Wildflowers was exciting, riveting, and so indicative of who she could be as a post-show artist or the type of uptempos she can do on the show, edgy uptempos.

Edited by MalwareDie

A different show, but the best example I can I can think of for a winner who did a lot of uptempo, and excelled at it is Chevel Shepherd. I wouldn’t recommend for anyone, though. That’s her wheelhouse. I also remember some promising runs stalled by going uptempo, just one time. That’s why they don’t do it. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

Maddie's highest-rated performance on WNTS was Nothing Compares To U, a midtempo song.

The actual song itself might be a midtempo but the way she performed it was as a piano power ballad.